PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Jordan hired as Sixers coach

king4day
05-29-2009, 09:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4216449

Eddie Jordan has been hired as the new coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Eddie Jordan
Jordan comes to the Sixers with eight years of head coaching experience with the Wizards and the Kings.

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com on Friday night that the Sixers have reached an agreement with Jordan, who along with Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey were the only candidates to be interviewed twice.

Jordan was fired by the Washington Wizards in November. The Wizards owe Jordan nearly $4 million next season and would have to pay the difference on the contract from Jordan's new team.

Jordan is 230-288 in coaching stints with the Wizards and the Sacramento Kings.

The Sixers job has been open since Tony DiLeo stepped down on May 11 and returned to the front office.

The other known candidates were Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau and Sixers scout Chris Ford. The Sixers informed Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis this week he was no longer a candidate.

Chronz
05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I always like when teams hire coaches with systems, I wonder how this impact the players on the team

superkegger
05-30-2009, 01:05 AM
I think he can fit that team well. Maybe he can figure out how to use Dalembert and Brand on the court together.

abe_froman
05-30-2009, 01:24 AM
i think its a good move

KB24PG16
05-30-2009, 01:36 AM
good move he has some work to do

Skins4Life
05-30-2009, 01:42 AM
I never really thought that the wizards poor start to this season was jordan's fault, and he shoulnt have gotten fired. I think he will be a great fit for the sixers, and i hope the best for him.

Havoc Wreaker
05-30-2009, 02:20 AM
I think he can fit that team well. Maybe he can figure out how to use Dalembert and Brand on the court together.

That's impossible to do, Brand is always Hurt :shrug:

That Guy Mooque
05-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I guess I'm the minority! I think this is a lateral step if anything. I'd prefer Cheeks, but I wish Jordan the best. Next step, bring in some shooters.

Chronz, that's easily the best sig I've ever seen. Thank you!

Knowledge
05-30-2009, 03:12 AM
^ By always, you mean the freak shoulder injury that happened this year. Jameer Nelson has the same type of injury and anyone who saw how he got injured knows that it can happen to anyone who happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

In Brand's case he was just trying to not land on top of a bucks player.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3225/3118699218_d1a3782f3c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/3118699144_9cb662e6fd_o.jpg

he just got caught in a awkward position.

edit: As long as his Achilles is ok and healthy than I think he will be fine. If their was any problem it would be that he is 30 and cant be the guy through the course of the regular season anymore.

TYoung21
05-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Horrible. Should've got Thib.

prodigy
05-30-2009, 09:09 AM
eddie jordan? Is that the guy cleveland pwned every year in the playoffs?

Mane
05-30-2009, 09:38 AM

lawllllllllllll

not at your joke, just at the stupidity of this statement.

KKell2507
05-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I think its a terrible idea. jordan is known for his princeton slow style offense. So that would do nothing but ruin the one good thing the sixers have going for them which is there fast break. Theyve got some great defenders as well who with a structured defense could have been one of the best defensive teams in the league.

And the sixers are looking to get out of the first rd so explain how bringing in a guy who is known for getting bounced in the first rd and has a career record of 8-18 in the playoffs, going to give any confidence to the players?

kbaxter34
05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I think its a terrible idea. jordan is known for his princeton slow style offense. So that would do nothing but ruin the one good thing the sixers have going for them which is there fast break. Theyve got some great defenders as well who with a structured defense could have been one of the best defensive teams in the league.

And the sixers are looking to get out of the first rd so explain how bringing in a guy who is known for getting bounced in the first rd and has a career record of 8-18 in the playoffs, going to give any confidence to the players?

When Arenas was healthy the Wizards were the #3 scoring team in the NBA. The problem is not the offense. He dosnt coach defense. The 76ers will go from 11th in D to the 25th+ in no time.

Kakaroach
05-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Eh don't know how this helps them too much. But I wish him the best of luck and maybe they can take the next step.

Blah Blah Blah
05-30-2009, 11:55 AM
It's a good move because now PHI has a coach with good experience and success like Jordan had in Washington. Their scoring is gonna go up but yea I do agree with the defense liabilities he will bring. PHI has some very talented players to work with like A. Iguodala, T. Young, L. Williams, A. Miller, and even S. Dalembert.

dawkinit
05-30-2009, 12:24 PM
i hate this move. jordan doesnt excite me as a sixers fan, even if he coaches our team to the best of his ability i dont think he makes us that much better. hopefully he can find out how to use all of our young talent, but his resume doesnt make me think he will.

should have just brought in a young coach, see what he could of done and try to go for a more sound investment next year. i think we hired jordan b/c him and stefanski are butt buddies. hopefully that translates to more wins.

scarletknight12
05-30-2009, 01:06 PM

well when Mr. James leaves in 2010 then maybe Jordan will redeem himself against CLE in the playoffs.........on second thought....Cavs wont make the playoffs for another decade after Lebon leaves

Weezy
05-30-2009, 01:18 PM
well when Mr. James leaves in 2010 then maybe Jordan will redeem himself against CLE in the playoffs.........on second thought....Cavs wont make the playoffs for another decade after Lebon leaves

LMFAO that got me laughin.

prodigy
05-30-2009, 03:52 PM
lawllllllllllll

not at your joke, just at the stupidity of this statement.

How is it a joke? for real, cavs beat him like 3 straight times I believe.

prodigy
05-30-2009, 03:53 PM

lol wow thats a good one. Its only the 5007958567 time it has been used.

pippsux
05-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Excellent hire for the 76ers. His system turned a 2nd round unknown into an overnight star. The Wiz gave up and tanked the season and I am happy they did not get the #1 pick as reward. The question mark with Jordan is defense, but I think he gets an unfair rep there too. He had Arenas, Jamison and Butler, all three combined were and are defensive liabilities. The 76er team he will be inheriting already had some good defensive principles and needed some structure.

IndyRealist
05-30-2009, 05:44 PM

The Princeton offense is not a slow system. It's a half court system that relies on off the ball movement and passing. The players know the system and then make decisions with the ball based on mismatches. The coach shouldn't have to call plays at all. This would not affect the 76ers ability to run the break at all, or their D.

Where Philly falls apart is in half court situations because they have no definitive game plan for it other than "isolate Iggy," "isolate Miller," and "isolate Young." Any offensive gameplan, at all, would be immensely useful. Plus since the PG does not dominate the ball, the Sixers are free to puruse just about any guard they want to fill Andre Miller's spot.

Brand will be fine in the offense, as will Igoudala. The question is whether Dalembert and Young have the passing and decision making skills to play in the system.

With this hire, I think I just became a Sixers fan.

Sixerlover
05-30-2009, 05:49 PM
The jury is still out to me. I'm not to happy yet, but I'll let it play out.