PDA

View Full Version : Perry: Trades That Need To Happen - Roberts To Cubs

Driven
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Seemingly, this deal has been bandied about for years, and it's time to make it happen. Roberts, yes, is signed long-term, but it's unlikely he'll be at his peak by the time the Orioles are relevant again.

The wise tack is to trade him in exchange for some young pitching. The Cubs, meanwhile, have serious needs in the middle infield. This season, Cub second basemen (chiefly Aaron Miles and Mike Fontenot) have combined to "hit" just .209 AVG/.280 OBP/.284 SLG. Compare that to the average NL second baseman, who's got a batting line of .264/.335/.406 in 2009, and it's clear the Cubs need a guy like Roberts.

Roberts would give the Cubs good defense at the keystone, on-base chops, and doubles by the truckload. More to the point, he'd be a vast improvement over what's currently in place.

The O's will get in return young hurlers Jeff Samardzija and, as a player to be named, Andrew Cashner (the Cubs' top pitching prospect and 19th overall pick in 2008 is ineligble to be traded until one year after his draft date).

Samardzija could be the closer of the future in Baltimore, and Cashner could one day be a part of a stellar young rotation that includes Brian Matusz, Chris Tillman, and Jake Arrieta.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9611414/These-deals-need-to-happen-now!

Terptilidie3
05-29-2009, 08:26 AM
F$#@ no...I wouldn't take that deal in a million years. I think by next year Johnson is the closer and any trade involving Roberts must include a hitter. I'm not sure why everyone thinks that the O's "NEED" pitching in return. I'm taking my chances with the Hernandezes, Tillmans, Arrietas and company of the farm.

Roberts for Fox and Samardzija...and we're talking at least.

excedrin1997
05-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree, for YEARS we've looked for young pitching, and were willing to part with experienced position players to do that. But now, we're pretty set on young pitchers, but are still behind in young hitters. ANY deal for Roberts better include a top INFIELD hitting prospect, within a year of being major league ready at the most. A mix of Murphy and Turner could fill in at 2B, or even Andino, but they are not long term solutions.

What is the Cubs fascination with Brian Roberts anyway?

bigity b
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I completely disregarded this article after the first line when he said, "it's unlikely he'll be at his peak by the time the Orioles are relevant again." Obviously he has never seen an O's game this year (or the Rays last year) or looked into our minor leagues. Then he was dumb enough to say we need pitching. Um, isnt that our minor league strength? Dont we have 3 of the top pitching prospects and that doesnt include those we've called up (Bergesen, Hernandez,...). Sounds loike he's trying to revive a rumor for his beloved Cubbies - go away!

Driven
05-29-2009, 01:34 PM
While I think the trade idea is dumb and doesn't make sense for Cubs, that's good value the Orioles would get in return for Roberts.

x the game x
05-29-2009, 04:10 PM
id do it,face it roberts isnt in the plans for the future with the orioles.we could easily sign a 2nd baseman next season to replace him,while stockpiling pitching prospects who when we r competitive we can then move for a proven major leaguer

bigity b
05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
^^ if he's not in the plans, why did they re-sign him to a long term deal recently? and as others have pointed out, we're overflowing with pitching prospects. If anything, we need IF propspects.

Driven
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
We do need IF prospects the most, but if the Orioles can trade Roberts, it still should be done. The new contract shouldn't make much of a difference.

sleewizard
05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
The Cubs have nearly nothing signifigant enough to get Roberts. I can guarantee that if this rumor truly begins to resurface, the case will be that MacPhail is demanding Josh Vitters. No doubt. Andy will say that the only way he trades Roberts is if Vitters is involved. Its debatable whether Roberts is worth Vitters, but i guarantee MacPhail wouldn't make the deal without him. Lookwhat happened last time he waited and pushed for the guys he wanted. (Jones and Tillman, including nearly nabbing Triunfel as well.

x the game x
05-29-2009, 08:31 PM
^^ if he's not in the plans, why did they re-sign him to a long term deal recently? and as others have pointed out, we're overflowing with pitching prospects. If anything, we need IF propspects.

to please the fans while we rebuild,why do u think he doesnt have a full no trade clause until like year 2 or 3

SnakeEyes1967
05-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I say dont trade him. He's a great lead off hitter with his ability to hit 50 doubles, potential 50+ steals, and an on base percentage of 400. Unless Alfonso Soriano is in the works who can play second and lead off for the O's then forget about it. I think Roberts will continue to play well even though he will be in his mid 30s at the end of his contract. If anything trade Melvin Mora, he's 37 and having a slow start to yet another season.

tranman
05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Samardzija would be a nice player to pick up in a potential Roberts trade. The time is now to trade him if they want to capitalize on his value and it is true that by the time the O's are true contenders (hopefully 2-4 years), Roberts will be past his prime, but I just don't think a trade will ever happen with the fans and front office so in love with him.

x the game x
05-30-2009, 03:35 AM
keep on hitting luke scott ur increasing ur trade value

bigity b
05-30-2009, 10:06 AM
i think the way Scott keeps playing, either we get a good deal or he could be the long-term answer at DH (platoon with Montanez?).

O's Boy15
05-30-2009, 01:25 PM

That's exactly right! Plus if we do trade Roberts then we have a gaping hole at second which over the years has been the most consistent position we've had along with Melvin Mora at third.