PDA

View Full Version : Do Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum = Shaq? A Comparison

mrblisterdundee
05-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I've always thought that since the big trade, the Lakers have needed Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum to replace the presence of Shaquille O'neal. To justify my reasoning, I took a look at their physicality, age, and stats.

Andrew Bynum is a big guy; so is Shaquille. Let's survey their stats at an early age to see who's better:
21-year-old Andrew Bynum: 14.3 pts, 8 reb, 1.4 ast, 1.8 blk
21-year-old Shaquille O'neal: 23.4 pts, 13.9 reb, 1.9 ast, 3.5 blk

Shaquille O'neal easily performed 75% better than Andrew Bynum when they were the same age.

Let's take a look at Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'neal when they were first allowed to drink in the United States:
21-year-old Pau Gasol: 17.6 pts, 8.9 reb, 2.7 ast, 2.1 blk

His play-making was better, but playing for the Spanish team will make you a very talented facilitator. Gasol performed much better in comparison to Shaquille than Bynum, but still not nearly as good.

Proportional to age, Shaquille has shown to be a much better player. Now it's time for the grand finale. Let's compare Shaquille's best year in the playoffs with a championship-caliber Laker team with Gasol and Bynum's:

2001: 30.4 pts, 15.4 reb, 3.2 ast, 2.4 blk

2009 Bynum(so far): 6.6 pts, 3.8 reb, .4 ast, 1 blk
2009 Pau (so far): 18.1 pts, 11.2 reb, 2.4 ast, 2.1 blk
----------------------------------------------------
2009 Bynum and Pau (so far): 24.7 pts, 15 reb, 2.8 ast, 3.1 blk

Those two are impressive. Together, they blocked 77% more shots than Shaquille. Despite that impressive showing, Shaquille still scored 23% more points, rebounded 2.6% more basketballs, and assisted 21.4% more field goals.

Plus, Shaquille O'neal is 7'3" and over 300 pounds. Bynum is 7'0" and 285 pounds. Gasol is 7'0" and 250 pounds. Combined, those two guys are way bigger than Shaquille.

While he wasn't quite as good as both of them combined, I'd say Shaquille was about 75-85% better than Pau and Andrew combined. I guess the real test will be if the duo can win three championships in a row. You shouldn't feel disappointed about any of this, though, because Shaquille still has one more ring than the 21st century Lakers.

still1ballin
05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
no

pete_one
05-28-2009, 11:19 PM
what math did you complete so far in college

FaceDown91
05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
what math did you complete so far in college

x2, im curious as well lol.

chadtx01
05-28-2009, 11:22 PM
You can crunch numbers all day long, but in no way, shape or form do Bynum and Gasol come close to Shaq.

Neither one of them commands the attention that Shaq did and neither one of them are capable of taking over the game like he did. Bynum and Gasol are two options that you have to account for, but they arent the guys you gameplan against, Shaq was that guy.

dee279
05-28-2009, 11:23 PM
I've always thought that since the big trade, the Lakers have needed Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum to replace the presence of Shaquille O'neal. To justify my reasoning, I took a look at their physicality, age, and stats.

Andrew Bynum is a big guy; so is Shaquille. Let's survey their stats at an early age to see who's better:

Shaquille O'neal easily performed 75% better than Andrew Bynum when they were the same age.

Let's take a look at Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'neal when they were first allowed to drink in the United States:

His play-making was better, but playing for the Spanish team will make you a very talented facilitator. Gasol performed much better in comparison to Shaquille than Bynum, but still not nearly as good.

Proportional to age, Shaquille has shown to be a much better player. Now it's time for the grand finale. Let's compare Shaquille's best year in the playoffs with a championship-caliber Laker team with Gasol and Bynum's:

Those two are impressive. Together, they blocked 77% more shots than Shaquille. Despite that impressive showing, Shaquille still scored 23% more points, rebounded 2.6% more basketballs, and assisted 21.4% more field goals.

Plus, Shaquille O'neal is 7'3" and over 300 pounds. Bynum is 7'0" and 285 pounds. Gasol is 7'0" and 250 pounds. Combined, those two guys are way bigger than Shaquille.

While he wasn't quite as good as both of them combined, I'd say Shaquille was about 75-85% better than Pau and Andrew combined. I guess the real test will be if the duo can win three championships in a row. You shouldn't feel disappointed about any of this, though, because Shaquille still has one more ring than the 21st century Lakers.

Shaq is 7'1

mrblisterdundee
05-28-2009, 11:23 PM
x2, im curious as well lol.

I know. I got the blocked shots incorrect. The scoring, rebounding, and assisting should be right, though. The percentages at the end were total guesses.

mrblisterdundee
05-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Shaq is 7'1
Your point is well taken, and it makes Shaquille look even more impressive.

SeoulBeatz
05-28-2009, 11:28 PM
no never.

pau is soft. he will forever be soft.

That whole screaming and pounding of the chest act this year cannot makeup for the pussyfest i saw in last years finals where his ineptitude throughout the series cost me 200 bux in a bet with one of my rival celtics fans. he got chewed up and even his own fans called for his head.

that would never happen to shaq.

dont get me started on bynum.

Lakers fans were calling bynum the second freaking coming of Jabbar and i know hes still young and i see him getting better but, he has shown nothing so far that makes me believe he will be a dominant big in years to come.

there's no fire in his game and i thought he had post moves (from what all the lakers fans were sayin on this board) but from the 30+ Lakers games ive seen over the past two years he just seems like a less athletic dwight howard, which isn't a compliment in his case.

Shaq in his prime was the most dominant player the NBA has ever seen. More than MJ, Lebron, what have you. He commanded a triple team whenever he played as he was the biggest player uve ever seen, yet he was more coordinated than most forwards and he had amazing leaping ability.

He also had the natural killer instinct and arrogance to take over any game, because he KNEW he was bigger and better than you, and that trait isnt found in most players today, ESPECIALLY not gasoft or bynum.

madiaz3
05-28-2009, 11:29 PM
idk why i used to think shaq was 7'3 also

just a weird rumor

FaceDown91
05-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I know. I got the blocked shots incorrect. The scoring, rebounding, and assisting should be right, though. The percentages at the end were total guesses.

dude, you can use those numbers and twist them all you want but the fact is, bynum and gasol don't come close to shaq. Just stick with actually watching the game instead of stats please. :rolleyes:

Eagles_Guy
05-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Not

Even

Close.

madiaz3
05-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Does Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton = Michael Jordan?

(Adding their best seasons almost competes with MJ's best lol)

superkegger
05-28-2009, 11:46 PM

honestly, this is the biggest mockery of stats i have ever seen. terrible analysis. just terrible. your post has zero merit

ink
05-28-2009, 11:49 PM

Great comparison.

Mile High Champ
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
hell no....

FaceDown91
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM

it's like that or saying Sheed and Ben Wallace = Tim Duncan? The stats in the OP are more useless then the PERs, or the "Win Shares". :pity:

JayAllDay
05-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Shaq w/ Lakers + who happened to play the 4 that day > Pau Gasol + Andrew Bynum

championships
05-29-2009, 12:23 AM
There is no way. Shaq was unguardable in his hay day. If he got the ball in the paint there was nothing anybody could do (except foul him before the dunk). Put it this way, If they compared to Shaq, Lakers would be going for their second strait title right now.

NYtilIdie
05-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Gasol and Bynum never and will never be 30-10 guys. Even during Gasol's best season he only averaged 20 ppg and 9.8 rebounds.

Bynum I honestly can't see him averaging more then 17 ppg in his prime. I think people overrated him cause he had a good season last year before that knee injury, but this season he's only averaging a point more then last season and is only averaging 8 rebounds a game thats 2 rebounds short of last season's 10.2. People said he's going to be the key to the Laker's winning the Final's, but thats clearly not the case since he is inconsistent half the time.

Point is Gasol/Bynum will never be Shaqtis

JordansBulls
05-29-2009, 12:28 AM

You can't just add up 2 players numbers and say they equal a player. It's like me adding up Ben Gordon and John Salmons numbers and saying they are equal to Wade or Lebron.

Angel
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
You can crunch numbers all day long, but in no way, shape or form do Bynum and Gasol come close to Shaq.

Neither one of them commands the attention that Shaq did and neither one of them are capable of taking over the game like he did. Bynum and Gasol are two options that you have to account for, but they arent the guys you gameplan against, Shaq was that guy.

Yeah not even close. Remember when the Spurs teams with David Robinson and Tim Duncan used to meet up with the Lakers in the playoffs quite a few times in the late 90's up until Robinson retired? Shaq used to absolutely own the both of them when they went head to head. Imagine what he would do to Gasol and Bynum? :laugh: He would straight up embarrass them both. Shaq was a force.

FaceDown91
05-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah not even close. Remember when the Spurs teams with David Robinson and Tim Duncan used to meet up with the Lakers in the playoffs quite a few times in the late 90's up until Robinson retired? Shaq used to absolutely own the both of them when they went head to head. Imagine what he would do to Gasol and Bynum? :laugh: He would straight up embarrass them both. Shaq was a force.

Shaq would have pushed both bynum and gasol down to the ground with 1 hand and dunk it and say "tell me how my ***** taste!"

Fear_GAS_OLDier
05-29-2009, 12:44 AM
ummmm....NO!

i.got.the.nutz
05-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Fail

ggg
05-29-2009, 01:50 AM
horrible comparison but 2001-2002 lakers vs 2009-2011 lakers if they make a three peat. ill choose the 2009 just because of the chemistry and individuals contributing to the team rather than 2 superstars dominating the game.

Lakersfan2483
05-29-2009, 01:59 AM

:pity:

Denver-boy
05-29-2009, 02:13 AM
Shaq would kill Bynum and gasol... no comparision... Shaq has rings they dont

Giants-49ers-Ws
05-29-2009, 02:35 AM
no...shaq kicked ***

Wilson
05-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Shaq is 7'1

I thought he was 7'2".

Anyway, I don't think Pau and Andrew = Shaq. Shaq would get down the floor, and position himself under the basket, and there was nothing you could do about it. Bynum's good at getting position close to the basket, but Pau isn't.

When Shaq got the ball, he was just too big and too skilled for you to do anything about it one-on-one. So he'd either score, or find the cutter/spot up man. With Bynum, he's got a nice hook shot, but you can force him out. Pau will pass it out regardless a lot of the time, but even when he's aggresive, you can defend him. He's more speed, so if you force him baseline with a double team, you can have some success.

Defensively, right now, there's no comparison. Denver are murdering us on the boards, that doesn't happen with prime-Shaq in the middle. He wouldn't allow it. He's too big, too strong, and too focused.

I think he's also better at challenging shots. Bynum will get better with his positioning, rebounding and challenging shots when his knee gets back to 100%, but I doubt he gets to where Shaq was.

abe_froman
05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
isnt this a compliment to how good shaq was,that it takes two of the top 25 pf/c's in the league(with one being an all star) to equal one shaq

Kakaroach
05-29-2009, 04:50 PM
What a weird analysis of stats....Maybe you should also add Lamar Odom to that list for no reason lol.

mikantsass
05-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Gasol is one of the weakest, softest big man to ever play in the NBA.
Shaq is one of the strongest, toughest big man to ever play in the NBA.

If you see a comparison in those two then you probably think the Thunder are going to win the finals next year.

jrice9
05-29-2009, 06:02 PM
You have to compare the 4/5 of that LA team to bynum gasol and if the LA 4 had like 10 ppg and like 6 rpg it just crushes the current team since Shaq was amazing and in his prime the best player ever