PDA

View Full Version : 3-1 Comeback pretty rare.

MagicDojo
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
In the conference finals only one team has ever done it!:speechless:

I did some digging...only time ever in conference finals. 1981 Boston/Philidelphia
Boston had a 62-20 season and so did Philly they tied in the atlantic division but Boston won home court by virtue of conference record tiebreaker. Boston went down 1-3 before recovering to win, Celtics had home court win in game 7.

notable players on the Boston team: Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, Tiny Archibald, Cedric Maxwell.

on Philly: Julias Erving, Bobby Jones, Darryl Dawkins, Doug Collins, Maurice Cheeks.

Triva:
Julias Erving had won the season MVP award but lost the series.

Boston ended up playing and beating Houston 4-2 in the finals and Houston is the only team to ever make the finals with a regular season losing record 40-42.
Cedric Maxwell was finals MVP with a .644% shooting percentage.

:confused:

lakers4sho
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
sweet

Chronz
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
The final 4 games were decided by 2Pts or less and like this series, every game was competitive.

The series may be 3-1 but in actuality its more like a 2-2 series. All Cleveland needs to do is provide Bron with even a little help and he should be able to get them the W. But if he gos cold and scores only 30 they need to play like the Cavs we saw all year.

Missing56&33
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
In the conference finals only one team has ever done it!:speechless:

I did some digging...only time ever in conference finals. 1981 Boston/Philidelphia
Boston had a 62-20 season and so did Philly they tied in the atlantic division but Boston won home court by virtue of conference record tiebreaker. Boston went down 1-3 before recovering to win, Celtics had home court win in game 7.

notable players on the Boston team: Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, Tiny Archibald, Cedric Maxwell.

on Philly: Julias Erving, Bobby Jones, Darryl Dawkins, Doug Collins, Maurice Cheeks.

Triva:
Julias Erving had won the season MVP award but lost the series.

Boston ended up playing and beating Houston 4-2 in the finals and Houston is the only team to ever make the finals with a regular season losing record 40-42.
Cedric Maxwell was finals MVP with a .644% shooting percentage.

:confused:

I remember watching that series, i had just got into basketball and the Celtics was my team. What a team that was. they beat Houston in the Finals. The good ole days. that Philly series was good too. Philly lost the finals the following year to the Lakers until they brought in Moses Malone from the Houston squad and won it in 83' . That was basketball. Celtics in 84

MagicDojo
05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
could the Magic become the newest historical footnote?

Ilir
05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I think the cavs can do it. but it all lies on tomorrows game in orlando if they can get that one then they def have won the series

mitch91
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
nice, some interestin facts. if cavs win the next game then they take game 7

MickeyMgl
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Of the 187 or so teams who have fallen behind 3-1, how many of them had two of the final three games scheduled at home? How many of them had the season's MVP? How many had won 66 games? How many of the teams with the lead relied heavily on 3-point shooting?

There's a lot that falls between the numbers ESPN keeps regurgitating.

I'd rather see Orlando win it, because I'd like a break from Lebron-mania, but Cleveland can still do this.

cle12152433
05-29-2009, 02:17 PM
I think there are 3 factors that tie in to tomorrow's game, and the Magic having homecourt isn't one of them. The Cavaliers proved in Game 4 that they are at least capable of winning in Orlando....

Factor 1: Will Rafer Alston come back in G6 after having a quiet G5?
Factor 2: Can Cleveland's shooters continue their G5 success and shoot well?
Factor 3: Can Dwight Howard stay out of foul trouble? He left with 2:22 in the game, a time when Orlando was well in the game and could have won had he been a presence in the paint?

The pressure is on Orlando, even with them being up 3-2. They don't want to play Game 7 in Cleveland with all momentum pointing towards LeBron and the Cavs.

Ilir
05-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I think there are 3 factors that tie in to tomorrow's game, and the Magic having homecourt isn't one of them. The Cavaliers proved in Game 4 that they are at least capable of winning in Orlando....

Factor 1: Will Rafer Alston come back in G6 after having a quiet G5?
Factor 2: Can Cleveland's shooters continue their G5 success and shoot well?
Factor 3: Can Dwight Howard stay out of foul trouble? He left with 2:22 in the game, a time when Orlando was well in the game and could have won had he been a presence in the paint?

The pressure is on Orlando, even with them being up 3-2. They don't want to play Game 7 in Cleveland with all momentum pointing towards LeBron and the Cavs.

good post. very good points i think it relies more on whether the cavs shooters can continue there success of game 5 into game 6

FaceDown91
05-29-2009, 03:06 PM
The final 4 games were decided by 2Pts or less and like this series, every game was competitive.

The series may be 3-1 but in actuality its more like a 2-2 series. All Cleveland needs to do is provide Bron with even a little help and he should be able to get them the W. But if he gos cold and scores only 30 they need to play like the Cavs we saw all year.

lol i love the sig.

Kakaroach
05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Well their 2 tough wins away.

madiaz3
05-29-2009, 04:45 PM

The series may be 3-1 but in actuality its more like a 2-2 series.

It's as much a 2-2 as it is a 4-0, when Lebron's buzzer is considered.

BALLER R
05-29-2009, 06:30 PM

actually its more like 4-0 and cavs got swept..i think thats what you meant to say

Eagles_Guy
05-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Bird's Celtics the Cavs ain't

Chronz
05-29-2009, 08:20 PM
It's as much a 2-2 as it is a 4-0, when Lebron's buzzer is considered.

Not when you consider that Brons game winning shot, came after another game winning shot. This series is 2-2 based on the premise that the possession disparity between the teams throughout 4 games has been even. This basically points to an even match up, thus .500

Chronz
05-29-2009, 08:21 PM
actually its more like 4-0 and cavs got swept..i think thats what you meant to say

chuckles