PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the clear favorite of the East next year?

madiaz3
05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
--This is all assuming no significant trades are done in this off-season, in part because most of these squads either can't, or really don't have to.--

Cleveland Cavaliers-
As far as I know, on paper they won't be any better or worse than they were this year, and that they came into the playoffs fully healthy, correct me if I'm wrong.

Mo Williams / Daniel Gibson
Delonte West / Sasha Pavlovic
Lebron James / Wally Szczerbiak
Anderson Varejao / Joe Smith
Big Z / Big Ben

Boston Celtics -
Their KG-less playoff run only prepared their youth and by the same token, the longevity of the big 3. Besides the fact that Boston will have Kevin Garnett returning, along with Leon Powe, and yes even a healthy Brian Scalabrine. They now have Kendrick Perkins who has solidified himself as a legit center in the league. I don't think there are many teams who would mind having him as a starter. With the emergence of Big Baby, you now have a more than suitable stand-in for Garnett, and I don't think we'll ever see KG making Big Baby cry after Big Baby proved himself in these playoffs.

So now you have a front-line of Garnett, Perkins, Davis, and Powe (the same guy who destroyed the Lakers in the finals if you remember.) The only front-court comparable doesn't even exist anymore, the former Yao/Mutumbo/Scola/Landry, that is. Let's not forget that Marbury, should he stay, will have had a full season under his belt, and even if he only gets to 1/2 of where he used to be as a player, he's still better than any reserve on the other team.

Rondo / Marbury
Allen / House
Pierce / T. Allen
KG / Davis
Perkins / Powe / Mikki

Orlando Magic -
One name, Jameer Nelson. The original all-star of 2009, before Ray Allen, and before Mo Williams. Was averaging about 17-5 before his injury, able to do everything Rafer is doing but better and more, which includes being a real floor general. A real threat off the dribble adding even another level of offensive depth for the Magic. With Hedo playing just short of an all-star, expect a Magic team next season even better than this years, with practically four all-stars, with a starter in disguise as a reserve with Alston.

Nelson / Rafer / A. Johnson
Courtney Lee / Reddick
Hedo Turkoglu / M. Pietrus
Rashard Lewis
Dwight Howard / Gortat

Assuming no significant trades go down, it's really tough to go against either the Celtics or Magic as #1 in the East, and unless a trade does go down, I can't see Cleveland being in the thick of things as they were this season.

ProdigyI
05-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Too early to tell because we don't know what's going to happen this summer, but if the Bulls get STAT or Bosh this summer, then I'd have to go with my team.

madiaz3
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Too early to tell because we don't know what's going to happen this summer, but if the Bulls get Boozer, STAT, or Bosh this summer, then I'd have to go with my team.

True, I'd say out of all of the other Eastern teams, only the Bulls are realistically one trade away from moving into the elite eastern tier.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I think the Celtics bench is going to very different. TA will not be in the regular rotation. Davis might leave. Powe will likely return. House will likely return. Marbury is a total question mark.

As for teams that are 1 player away, thats tough to tell because usually its very difficut to find that one player and the trade usually involves players that u as a fan believe will stay.

Example Celtics:

Traded: Delonte West, Gerald Green (at the time people were crazy about him), Big Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, wally shittyback, 5th overall pick, 2009 1st round pick, Ryan Gomes, Theo Ratliff.

Received: Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett.
But also signed James Posey, Sam Cassel, PJ Brown, Eddie House.

NOT 1 Celtics fan ever anticipated these kinds of changes at the time. This stuff is unpredictable.

what54!?
05-28-2009, 02:03 PM
the heat. I wish :(. we need a good trade to get another impact player

I think if the C's get the right bench help they'll be the favorites again with the big three and rondo emerging

Jonathan2323
05-28-2009, 02:04 PM
The Heat are one good player away.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Who in your mind on your team is untouchable in trade? Bascially, who do u think is the core of the team?

tr4shb0t
05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Who knows..it should be interesting though. I have the feeling Cavs will be on the receiving end of a good trade though. Seems like the league really wants to get Lebron a ring the last 2 years, but it just doesn't happen.

what54!?
05-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Who in your mind on your team is untouchable in trade? Bascially, who do u think is the core of the team?
the only true players I would keep are wade and beasley. I would want to keep beasley as well but if the right opportunity presented itself....

IndyRealist
05-28-2009, 02:13 PM
The Cavs will not stand pat. Zydrunas, Wallace, and Smith will all be a year older, and they've shown that they need more scoring punch besides Lebron and Williams. They have 4 expiring contracts worth $30 million, they'll be able to buy a good player from a rebuilding team, like say Michael Redd or Antwan Jamison.

IndyRealist
05-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Nah, they still need to do something about their bench. It's horrendous, and they really need to have Beasley start next year (I hope they didn't use a #2 pick on a 6th man), so the bench will be even worse. It takes more than the starting 5 to get far in the playoffs.

jimbobjarree
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
does there have to be a clear favorite?

BTownTeamsRKing
05-28-2009, 02:26 PM
the only true players I would keep are wade and beasley. I would want to keep beasley as well but if the right opportunity presented itself....

i agree. so now i ask, do u really think your team is 1 player away? If your wlling to move 10 or 11 of 12, I would say not yet. of course Wade and Beasely are a great start.

what54!?
05-28-2009, 02:30 PM
i agree. so now i ask, do u really think your team is 1 player away? If your wlling to move 10 or 11 of 12, I would say not yet. of course Wade and Beasely are a great start.
no were more than one player away I'll be realistic. We need some more bench production and still have some holes in our starting 5.

superkegger
05-28-2009, 04:58 PM
There won't be a clear cut favorite. It will be just like this year, any of the 3 could win an assload of games, but it's about peaking at the right time, the Cavs clearly didn't do this, and injuries hurt the Celtics. The Magic pulled it all together at the right time.

JordansBulls
05-28-2009, 05:10 PM
If the Bulls can get Amare or Bosh this summer they will move into that group as well. Also if Miami were to get Bosh or Boozer they would be in that group as well.

Missing56&33
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Orlando if they get to the finals

Jaydes
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
First of all Amare is not going to leave Phoenix.

Sorry Bulls fans but the Suns are not rebuilding, and STAT is the only player on that team that can carry them.

My pick for the east is going to be Orlando. If they can keep this up, no on in the east will catch them.

:eyebrow:

kozzer
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
I think the top 3 in the east will stay the same, perhaps with the order changing. No other team is in a position to make a move into the top 3, barring a major trade or FA signings - even then, unless it's an elite player, it'll still probably be Cleveland, Orlando and Boston in some order.

DLeeicious
05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
If there is a thread about who the clear favorite is then there is room for a discussion about it and therefore there is NO clear favorite. It could go to any team.

lakerboy
05-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Cleveland Boston and Orlando are up there. I want Boston to be good just so we'll see them again in the finals. As much as I hate the Cs, I love the rivalry that is going on.

There are also teams that can take a leap with a few good trades: Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, and Charlotte.

When Brand returns, who knows? Maybe the 76ers will start to click.

Blah Blah Blah
05-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Too early to tell because we don't know what's going to happen this summer, but if the Bulls get STAT or Bosh this summer, then I'd have to go with my team.

Same here. I don't mean to be too biased or anything. I would agree that cleveland would fall out of the thick of things and the Magic I believe will be one of the top 2 if not best team in the east. That also depends on what happens to Hedo cuz he is prolly going to opt out of his contract after this year. If he goes that is gonna be a huge loss for them cuz he has the ball in his hand more often than not in late game situations. Boston will be very good but i just think that with their age and the fact that the teams are pickin up on how to play them, it will be tougher for them.

ManRam
05-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I think the odds are that Hedo wont be back for the Magic. If he doesn't return, that's a big hit the Magic take. Hopefully we can sign a bigger PF, and move Shard to the 3 if Hedo leaves. But I'd sell my soul to keep him.

JaySmoke
05-29-2009, 02:26 PM

ahh u do know they both want to play for the knicks or washington right? plus those 2 teams have more to offer than atl, miami or chicago

JaySmoke
05-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Cleveland Boston and Orlando are up there. I want Boston to be good just so we'll see them again in the finals. As much as I hate the Cs, I love the rivalry that is going on.

There are also teams that can take a leap with a few good trades: Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, and Charlotte.

When Brand returns, who knows? Maybe the 76ers will start to click.

they are a bette r team without brand :pity:

FaceDown91
05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

the bulls and blazers are the 2 teams that have the best trading pieces in the league. i would not be surprised if that happened.

ATL_Representa
05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Show the atlanta hawks some love..Look at what we accomplished this year and look at how young we was..But the east is getting stronger so who knows!

TopsyTurvy
05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
The 76ers got some love. I'm in heaven!!!

I don't think anyone can predict the clear favorite knowing that the off season moves for nearly all of the eastern conference teams will clearly determine which way their franchise is going (selling players, picking up expiring contracts, trading for an all-star, etc.)

I think you have more static choices coming out of the West than you do in the East.

mikantsass
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
The Celtics have the edge. Provided KG and Leon are healthy, and Big Baby stays.

Magic are a close 2nd. Superman JR got shut down by Perkins in the playoffs last round.

The Cavs need to give LeBron some help. If they sign a good free agent like Rasheed or Bibby or some proven Vet, then i think they are the favorite. Right now the Cavs do not have a #2 option while orlando and boston both have legit 5 man starters. If West, Williams, Varejao, or Ilgauskis were on either Celts or Magic, they would come off the bench. Give me a break with that garbage starting lineup.

pebloemer
05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
ahh u do know they both want to play for the knicks or washington right? plus those 2 teams have more to offer than atl, miami or chicago

Got a quote on that?

And they dont really have a choice if they are traded.... they are under contract. This thread is talking about next year.

magichatnumber9
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Danny and Wyc are going to make big moves this off season. I don't see Mikki coming back. Stephon just might give it another go around. It will be interesting. I see a key Vet coming to this team.

Ewagner
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
The top three will stay the same no doubt. The Cs will strengthen there bench and get garnett back. Orlando will get Nelson back which will be huge. Cleveland still has Lebron. The teams on the way up are Atlanta and Chicago. Atlanta is only a year removed from taking the Celtics to seven games and obviously improved this year. They would have played better if there starting five had not gotten injured. Chicago also is on the way up but need an inside threat like bosh or amare. They get one of those two to go with rose and they move right up. Miami stinks and will not be anything with wade unless they surround him with talent. Hes not kobe and kobe needed an all-star cast around him just to get this far. Wade is no kobe.

koreancabbage
05-29-2009, 04:27 PM
if anything, Chicago and or Miami would have to give up a core player to get a big man. There is no way they are up there after 1 trade.
If amare or bosh presented themselves via a trade- Bulls give up Ben Gordan and Tyrus Thomas or Deng/Thomas. no way Toronto/ Phoenix goes for 1 for 1 trade.

same with Miami- Beasley and others going the other way for Bosh or Amare.

Bulls and Miami would be strong, but NOT Cleveland, Orlando, or Boston strong- not even close.

Chicagofaithful
05-29-2009, 04:43 PM
speaking of the blazers... am i the only one who thinks Travis Outlaw is SEVERELY underrated? the man can straight up ball! lol

thesparky33
05-29-2009, 04:50 PM
I think the Celtics got a lot better and grew a ton this post-season without Kevin Garnett, especially Glen Davis... and add the fact that Rondo emerged as an All-Star talent.

If the core of Garnett-Pierce-Allen-Rondo can all stay healthy next year, I see them as the favorites in the entire league to be honest.

This is all saying that all of the teams stay the same, without any big trades.

There are quite a few big-time older PG's in free agency this year, like Kidd, Bibby, Miller, etc that could impact teams since all of them dont have rings and would either help a contending team's starting rotation or bench.

Kakaroach
05-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Cavs, Magic, and Celtics. None of them will really change this off-season.

IndyRealist
05-29-2009, 05:03 PM
speaking of the blazers... am i the only one who thinks Travis Outlaw is SEVERELY underrated? the man can straight up ball! lol

I think most Blazers fans on here have said he's severely OVER-rated. Outlaw doesn't play D and takes too many bad shots. Right now he's better offensively than Batum, but Nicolas is younger and a better defender.

IndyRealist
05-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Cavs, Magic, and Celtics. None of them will really change this off-season.

I disagree on the Cavs. They have a ton of expiring contracts next year, and they're going to be over the luxury tax assuming they resign Lebron in 2010 no matter what. So they blow their $30 million on players signed to long term contracts to give Lebron a team too attractive to leave. Michael Redd, Josh Smith, Antwan Jamison, Caron Butler, Chris Kaman, Jason Terry, James Posey, Tyson Chandler, David West, Jason Richardson, Leandro Barbosa, etc. could all make their way to Cleveland by the next trade deadline. Their teams will be rebuilding most likely and looking to shed long term contracts.

Teams like Indiana, Minnesota, etc. were hit HARD by the recession, and might trade away quality talent for the salary relief. Troy Murphy, TJ Ford, Sebastian Telfair, Corey Brewer might go if the price is right.

JaySmoke
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Got a quote on that?

And they dont really have a choice if they are traded.... they are under contract. This thread is talking about next year.

are u kidding in case u haven heard bosh wants to play for dantoni.. and amare was on the radio today campaining for NY and washington.. toronto will not trade bosh for henrich and tyrus the bust sorry he will be there the next year.. and suns arent in rebuild mode.. Ny and was has more to offer

JaySmoke
05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
if anything, Chicago and or Miami would have to give up a core player to get a big man. There is no way they are up there after 1 trade.
If amare or bosh presented themselves via a trade- Bulls give up Ben Gordan and Tyrus Thomas or Deng/Thomas. no way Toronto/ Phoenix goes for 1 for 1 trade.

same with Miami- Beasley and others going the other way for Bosh or Amare.

Bulls and Miami would be strong, but NOT Cleveland, Orlando, or Boston strong- not even close.

are u joking if miami had amare it would be a wrap.. did u forget we had wade... or what? amare is a ****in beast as well.. uy must be out of your mind