PDA

View Full Version : Are the Cavs over rated

Basketball001
05-28-2009, 02:13 AM
I would say yes. Yes i know they had the best record in the nba but that dont mean anything when it come playoff time. All the Cavs fans here is some input on your team. In the first round you beat a under 500. team who was 39-43 in the reular season. Its not impressive at all. The second round you beat a team that was a okay of a team. Still its not that impresive. Now tht you get to team that wont back down and give up the Cavs role players are showing really how good they are. Dont say that they are just having bad games come on its the freakin playoffs. the Magic D is what is messing with your role players. Lebron is Lebron nobody can stop him when he is hiting shots. I do think the Cavs are good team but not as good as everybody gives them credit for.

P.S. Not trying to offend anybody here but this is my OPINION. I know there going to be mad cavs fan but who cares the magic are going to the finals.

superkegger
05-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Overrated? no

were they overmatched in this series? it looks so.

the nba is a game of matchups, they look to have lost this one vs. the magic

kblo247
05-28-2009, 03:16 AM
No.

This is what happens when you do not get battle tested early on and think you can steamroll teams after feasting on 2 out of the 3 (Hawks/Pistons/Heat) most inconsistent teams in the playoffs

Their lack of coaching and MVP's play being so easy to predict doesn't help.

madiaz3
05-28-2009, 03:17 AM
one must beg the question:

how would the celtics have fared against the cavs?
The magic were better, but not as much as they seem to be better than the cavs this series, but I'm not sure if I can see boston even being tied with the cavs at this point, though with kg would they have stomped both the magic and cavs? seems like it now although the cavs team that took boston to 7 last year has improved way more than boston has on paper.

its all very confusing to think about

Chronz
05-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Heres the thing, this plays out about 8 times a year every decade, a team greatly overachieves in the regular season, not because of talent, but because of overall depth. During a regular season every team is bound to suffer through injuries, the Cavs did. When Big Z went down, Ben stepped in, when Ben went down, AV stepped up, and they signed Joe Smith. Without the overall depth a team with a average level replacement player would stand to lose a few more games, but because of their depth they could withstand the blow. Problem is, in the playoffs you dont get to play all your players, you only play your top rotation. When all your players are so evenly spread out in terms of talent/value you dont have the luxury of maximizing your talent by say playing the clearly better player more minutes and shortening your rotation.

This isnt to say the Cavs arent contenders, they are pretty close without actually being favorites, but with the backcourt choking they cant win, even with Brons superhuman efforts.

Statik1
05-28-2009, 03:25 AM
Heres the thing, this plays out about 8 times a year every decade, a team greatly overachieves in the regular season, not because of talent, but because of overall depth. During a regular season every team is bound to suffer through injuries, the Cavs did. When Big Z went down, Ben stepped in, when Ben went down, AV stepped up, and they signed Joe Smith. Without the overall depth a team with a average level replacement player would stand to lose a few more games, but because of their depth they could withstand the blow. Problem is, in the playoffs you dont get to play all your players, you only play your top rotation. When all your players are so evenly spread out in terms of talent/value you dont have the luxury of maximizing your talent by say playing the clearly better player more minutes and shortening your rotation.

This isnt to say the Cavs arent contenders, they are pretty close without actually being favorites, but with the backcourt choking they cant win, even with Brons superhuman efforts.

I will 2nd that

superkegger
05-28-2009, 03:28 AM

this

kblo247
05-28-2009, 03:36 AM

I agree with all of this; you cannot play 10 guys their normal time in the playoffs

Chronz
05-28-2009, 03:59 AM
This thread is officially my *****, Im diggin the sigs we got in here though

KeithLBC
05-28-2009, 04:06 AM
This thread is officially my *****, Im diggin the sigs we got in here though

You just want people to look at your sig again :p

kblo247
05-28-2009, 04:28 AM
You just want people to look at your sig again :p

screw that; mine is better because it is more accurate :p

Kyle916
05-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Lebron cannot do everything. Nobodies stepping up at all.

Seventh King
05-28-2009, 07:50 AM

:clap:

Cano24
05-28-2009, 08:46 AM
they just have to many mismatches when it comes to Orlando the biggest being Varajeo/ Ilgouskis(spelling?) trying to gaurd Dwight Howard which I think will be the reason that Lebron bounces becuase he is going to realize he cant win with this team....the GM better be on the phone looking for a Center for next year and on if he wants LBJ to stick around

Ilir
05-28-2009, 08:56 AM
I think the cavs as a team are overrated simply because LeBron is there. He makes such a huge impact and he's able to carry them through the regular season without much help but in the playoffs when everyone starts playin harder he can't do it alone

grega1976
05-28-2009, 09:10 AM

WTF Chronz... why you tryin to be like me with the dos x guy?

macc
05-28-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't really think the Cavs are much overrated if they are at all. Lebron makes his team really good. I just think the Magic are underrated. During the season while they were sweeping LA, Denver, San Antonio, beating the Cavs, Boston and whoever else got in the their way they weren't getting any credit. Then when they brought their winning into the playoffs still noone gave them a chance against the Cavs when clearly history showed that Orlando had the Cavs number. People fell for the hype and here we are today.

69centers
05-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Probably not overrated but deceptive. They had such a good regular season, it overshadowed the fact that their bench is very weak and doesn't have the talent to compete deep into the playoffs. Joe Smith, Wally Z, Daniel Gibson, and Ben Wallace are not a championship caliber team's bench. Lebron can't do it all and he has no help off the bench. If the rest of the starters aren't getting it done, you can forget about the Cavs winning that game.

JordansBulls
05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think you can win 60+ games and be overrated. It just means you didn't perform well when you needed to.

Ilir
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't think you can win 60+ games and be overrated. It just means you didn't perform well when you needed to.

x2

I think the magic were jus highly underrated against the cavs espically since the magic beat them 2-1 in the regular season. now 5-2 including playoffs. Its evident that magic have too many mismatches for LeBron and the cavs to handle.

sp1derm00
05-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Overrated? In some ways they are, in others, they aren't.

Against contenders, the Cavs haven't fared so well. They steamroll through weak opponents and against strong competition, they look competitive, but overall, nothing like they look when they play weaker opponents.

Take that, and combine it with the fact that they almost solely rely on HC for wins against contenders, and you've got a recipe for a letdown in the playoffs... I definitely didn't see it coming from the Magic, but it makes sense now.

what54!?
05-28-2009, 12:46 PM
no their not overreated but not as good against strong opponents. Against the pistons and hawks they look unstoppable but against an actual contending teams like the magic they don't stand out as much

mo williams is overrated though

perkulation
05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Unlike most commentators, fans, or ESPN employees, I do not have a man crush on Lebron. I don't need to see him with his shirt off shooting from behind the backboard during lag time in between series. Having seen that, I question if they believe they are gods of the game. Probably not their fault for thinking that. The media and those with a man crush on Lebron are at fault. They have yet to accomplish much in the playoffs. Until them I think we can all question if, in fact, they are overrated.

P-Willie M.V.P.
05-28-2009, 01:43 PM
x2

I think the magic were jus highly underrated against the cavs espically since the magic beat them 2-1 in the regular season. now 5-2 including playoffs. Its evident that magic have too many mismatches for LeBron and the cavs to handle.

Agreed. The Magic are just looking too good right now for the Cavs. LBJ is no doubt the best player in the playoffs right now. but like most people have been saying, his team needs to step up tonight if they want to win this series. one man can't carry a team through the playoffs no matter how good he is.

tr3ymill3r
05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Overrated? no

were they overmatched in this series? it looks so.

the nba is a game of matchups, they look to have lost this one vs. the magic

This guy knows what's up, all about the matchups couldn't agree more. At the same time it looks like the Magic are using the LeBron rules much like the Pistons had their set of Jordan rules.

BenFrank
05-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't think the team is over-rated.. I just think the Magic's match-up better with them.. thay have a lot of size and shooters.. and the Cav's don't have the type of player's to contain them

masalex1205
05-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Don't think you can make that call yet, they still could make a comeback. The Cavaliers were being crowned the Eastern Conference Champions prior to the playoffs so, yes they are overrated, as of right now.

ccugrad1
05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
No.

This is what happens when you do not get battle tested early on and think you can steamroll teams after feasting on 2 out of the 3 (Hawks/Pistons/Heat) most inconsistent teams in the playoffs

Their lack of coaching and MVP's play being so easy to predict doesn't help.

Couldn't have said it any better. If you look at Orlando, they had a tough 4-2first round series with Philadelphia and a 7 game series with Boston that was tough. They are battle tested in these playoffs.

Cleveland has just cake-walked through the first two rounds and now that lack of being tested is catching up.

cle12152433
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
The Cavs arent overrated.

The Magic were just vastly underrated.

Missing56&33
05-28-2009, 04:19 PM
:nod: no doubt about it. I knew Mo Williams and Wally Szerzbiak , Ben Wallace and Z was not playoff material during the regular season.

s

dtmagnet
05-28-2009, 04:52 PM
The Cavs arent overrated.

The Magic were just vastly underrated.

You beat me to it, no one gave Orlando a chance once Jameer went out and they are showing what they're made of.

Chronz
05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
WTF Chronz... why you tryin to be like me with the dos x guy?

The day I passed you in your post count is the day I stopped caring

grega1976
06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
The day I passed you in your post count is the day I stopped caring

just admit it you want to be me!!! don't worry you're not the first... I really don't care, as long as your not embarrased by your obvious man crush I'm ok with it... Oh and I'm glad you're so proud of your 6700 psd posts. See the thing is I have a life outside of PSD, but I understand it probably gets a little lonely in your moms basement, with no girl and no life i bet I'd have average about 9 posts a day too!!! fortunately my life is more fulfilling.. have a good day!!! don't forget after you respond to this you have 8 more posts to go today!!!

Hoopsadvocate
06-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Definitely OVERRATED!

Funny how people say now that oh its about matchups but before the series started it was Cavs are going to sweep the magic or the Cavs are going to cruise to the finals. And nobody gave the megic the "matchup" advantage their (besides a few people mostly magic fans). But now its oh they matched up better to the Cavs its not the Cavs fault they are still THAT good. Give me a break. Looks like they should have spent a little more time practicing real plays instead of taking trick shots and joking around or figuring out what lame poses to do before a game.

Kabowdos
06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Cavs are in the East, which has only three good times Celtics, Magic and Cavs. Magic got better and peaked at the right time. Cavs were overmatched. I think the Cavs are too immature, their celebrations and age show it. I felt like the Cavs were too cocky and too blown up this year. Everyone thought they were going to win and LeBron was the best in the league and comparing him to Michael Jordan. It shows that he is not the best in the league and has a lot to prove. He has an MVP on his belt, that's it. He hasn't done anything great yet. Unproven.

ragee
06-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I would have to say yes... Especially by the media... But they are still a great team with arguably the best player in the league...

cmstophe
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
No.

They ran into probably the one team that is matchup nightmare for them, and even then the series could have gone either way. Lakers probably would have beaten them in the Finals.

I'd say they ended the year as the THIRD best team.

nd against strong competition, they look competitive, but overall, nothing like they look when they play weaker opponents.

...no kidding?