PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith: Desire for Kobe-LeBron leads to conflict of interest

JordansBulls
05-28-2009, 12:33 AM
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_090525.html

I’m not one who believes these things are manipulated. Not when the Spurs and Nets played in the NBA Finals.

But the NBA has erred in a big way in that famous appearance of a conflict of interest. ESPN is a full partner with the NBA, not only in televising games, but with the TV networks able to dictate scheduling of the playoff games. So here is the NBA on its web site promoting a one hour special ESPN has been running called “Dream Season: 23 & 24,” which is clearly about Bryant and James meeting in the NBA Finals. It’s supposedly a documentary focusing on the pair’s basketball careers. But there are obvious comparisons made with Wilt and Russell and Magic and Bird and having an opponent in the Finals who defines you.

It’s one thing for Nike to be running these ads with James and Bryant puppets. We know what they are selling. But for the NBA to be cooperating with its partner to feature Bryant and James this way is shocking and leads to just what the NBA tries to fight all the time: The idea that it manipulates series for the best television and ratings matchup.

Especially coming after disgraced referee Tim Donaghy alleged something similar, suggesting referees make calls to favor the stars in the playoffs, the thinking being if they please the league and a better matchup occurs, the referees will get the choice Finals assignments and thus much more pay. I believe it’s nonsense and I also have found the many referees I know to have high levels of integrity.

So I cannot believe the NBA would not ask ESPN to at least hold off until after the conference finals on this kind of thing. I know the NBA has influence in its contract with what ESPN can say regarding certain issues. Remember when all the ESPN experts after the Palace brawl suggested the Pacers were provoked, and then after David Stern “talked” to them they decided it was an outrage. Dwight Howard, who fouled out of Game 2 after an obvious missed foul call for James, who shot a stunning 24 free throws in Game 3, was asked after Sunday about the league and ESPN featuring Kobe and LeBron and said all they could do was try to win the game.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-28-2009, 12:37 AM
basically sums up wat i think of the league.

I think a kobe lebron Finals would destroy any credibility the league has.

JordansBulls
05-28-2009, 12:41 AM

It would be hard to conceive that all of a sudden Cleveland can beat Orlando 3 in a row when they are 4 and 10 against them there last 14 games.

I think even if Cleveland somehow managed to beat Orlando nearly everyone would be saying it was set up even if it wasn't the case.

superkegger
05-28-2009, 12:44 AM
I refuse to read any of the garbage sam smith writes. He's long been one of the worst and lest reputable writers on the NBA. Whatever he writes, even if he's right, I refuse to read. Somehow, someway, he's found a way to be worse that Peter Vescey.

Chronz
05-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Bad timing, but the possibility of a Bron-Kobe Finals is too great to not hype. Since when is it a conflict of interest to generate interest in a potential series especially when we're this close. Had ESPN waited for the Finals to be over, the point of the show wouldve been ruined considering Bron is on the brink of elimination.

It would be hard to conceive that all of a sudden Cleveland can beat Orlando 3 in a row when they are 4 and 10 against them there last 14 games.

I think even if Cleveland somehow managed to beat Orlando nearly everyone would be saying it was set up even if it wasn't the case.

Your right about that

BYBLOS88
05-28-2009, 12:48 AM

i basically disagree!!

dont be butt hurt just cause the celtics are out and the lakers are on there way to another championship!!:clap::D:clap::D:clap:

i no im gunna get alot of crap from all the laker haters out there but i dont give a ******!!

JordansBulls
I refuse to read any of the garbage sam smith writes. He's long been one of the worst and lest reputable writers on the NBA. Whatever he writes, even if he's right, I refuse to read. Somehow, someway, he's found a way to be worse that Peter Vescey.

Well whenever he is talking about trade scenarios he is one of the worst ever, I can agree with you on that for sure.

Lakersfan2483
If the NBA were rigged, why would teams like New Jersey make it to the finals two years in a row, why would a smaller market team like San Antonio win 4 titles? I will admit that the NBA's offficiating and marketing is questionable at times and the Donaghy scandal wasn't good, but I don't believe certain teams are given advantages to make it over others.

BTW: ESPN was wrong for already declaring winners in both series, that was disrespectful to both Denver and Orlando. They kept pushing the Lebron vs Kobe matchup trying to get ratings, but it was done in poor taste and in bad timing.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-28-2009, 12:49 AM

count me as one of those people bc orlando is clearly the better team. they will win this series unless something really sketchy goes down.

If Kobe and Lebron end up in the Finals, the league in my mind will be rigged. And i watch these games so I see the calls. the impact of the calls and the significance of the calls.

lets say for a moment it is indeed rigged, wouldnt the refs do everything possible to hide it? I would think so. So I mean you have to watch closely in these games. Sometimes one call can turn a game completely around.

JordansBulls
05-28-2009, 12:49 AM
If the NBA were rigged, why would teams like New Jersey make it to the finals two years in a row, why would a smaller market team like San Antonio win 4 titles? I will admit that the NBA's offficiating and marketing is questionable at times and the Donaghy scandal wasn't good, but I don't believe certain teams are given advantages to make it over others.

That's what he mentioned in the first sentence when he said the nets and spurs played in the finals.

Lakersfan2483
05-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Personally, I wish NBC still had the major rights to hosting the Finals, etc...

BTownTeamsRKing
05-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Personally, I wish NBC still had the major rights to hosting the Finals, etc...

yessssssssss. they were the BEST. hands down. bring it back!

Lakersfan2483
05-28-2009, 12:53 AM
That's what he mentioned in the first sentence when he said the nets and spurs played in the finals.

I definitely agree with him in that regard and was just re-stating what he had mentioned.

superkegger
05-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Well whenever he is talking about trade scenarios he is one of the worst ever, I can agree with you on that for sure.

and for that reason, since he rarely, if ever, has a source for his erroneous at best complete horseshit rumors or trade speculation I refuse listen to anything he has to say. If he wants to be taken seriously as a journalist, so be it, but stop pumping out batshit ever week of the season until the trade rumors are no longer there.

Hellcrooner
05-28-2009, 01:02 AM
that Nets and Spurs finals was what started the bell ringing in Nbas office.

Mixing sport withbussines so much as to coown the league with a network leads to nowhere good.

superkegger
05-28-2009, 01:05 AM
that Nets and Spurs finals was what started the bell ringing in Nbas office.

Mixing sport withbussines so much as to coown the league with a network leads to nowhere good.

I don't think I'm alone in wondering what the **** you just said. If you're going to post here, please proofread what you type.

Chronz
05-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Hes implying that Nike / Hollinger (Earlier) is deciding who wins what

Kings Faithful
05-28-2009, 01:09 AM
I don't think I'm alone in wondering what the **** you just said. If you're going to post here, post in english. I know it's not your first language, but for christ's sake, proofread what you type.

Chill dude... cut him some slack.

superkegger
05-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Chill dude... cut him some slack.

Honestly, were it just about any other writer, except Peter Vescey, I would. But Sam Smith is so full of crap, it's so laughable it's not even funny anymore. He has as much credibility on trade rumors as you or I do. He thinks up ****, and then writes a column. It's why he's no longer at the Sun Times, because he has no useful information and just makes **** up.

you and I could both write a more meaningful colum than him. He is a hack and does not deserve any attention.

ink
05-28-2009, 01:25 AM

+10000000

I'm going to be consistent and say that whether I agree with his point or not I'm still going to ignore it.

Worst sports writer anywhere.

And you're dead on by saying that he even makes Vecsey look credible ...

montazingmvp
05-28-2009, 03:20 AM
worst sportswriter is tim kawakami...he's regularly made up stuff and been proven completely wrong...of course he only writes about the warriors, so nobody knows him outside the bay area

GspLAL
05-28-2009, 07:54 AM
You just cant predict what the business is gonna do, you can't tell what they plan out for the league, there are 100 different scenarios you can think of that counter each other, maybe they just want Lebron to lose so he can join a big market team to bring back some east coast rivalries (Knicks Heat, Lebron Wade)

bedford1829
05-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Listen the arguments are there for this being rigged especially with the dream match up of a rivalry rekindled last year (celts v lakers). But the bottom line is that sometimes in sports dream match ups happen.

I dont think this conspiracy theory will hold up being that lebron's about to be ousted.

But I do not think that it is as hard for everyone to believe that the league's two preeminent players, and they are far and away the two best players, can elevate their teams to the NBA Finals.

Are you kidding me?
Where did Jordan take his teams?
Where did Magic take his teams?

The bottom line is when you have talents like Lebron and Kobe this is what they do. Just like every game changing player that came before them. They take their teams to the highest levels by not only taking over games but by improving the confidence, abilities and skills of those around them.

Close Thread.

kozzer
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Honestly, were it just about any other writer, except Peter Vescey, I would. But Sam Smith is so full of crap, it's so laughable it's not even funny anymore. He has as much credibility on trade rumors as you or I do. He thinks up ****, and then writes a column. It's why he's no longer at the Sun Times, because he has no useful information and just makes **** up.

you and I could both write a more meaningful colum than him. He is a hack and does not deserve any attention.I disagree, and it's worth pointing out that he always admits his trade scenarios are made up. He just likes to speculate. He wasn't the Bulls beat writer for the Tribune, and so his job isn't merely journalism (like, say, KC Johnson).

Ilir
05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_090525.html

I really don't see a problem with the business owner wanting the two teams that will bring them in the most money to get to the finals. I don't think theyre doing anything to make that happen becuase the cavs arent doing to hot and the Lakers had a tough time with the rockets and now again with the nuggets.

everyone understands that there is a recession right now that could possibly lead to a depression. If these two stars meet up it will help the nba's pocket and thats what they want but i doubt that they're tampering with the games in any way

IBleedPurple
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The commercials were definitely in bad taste, and I can't imagine it happening in any other sport, unless in more of a joking sense. Poor judgement by Nike/ESPN execs. I wonder how a guy like Melo feels, who also has a big Nike contract.