PDA

View Full Version : How to fix (not "fix") the lottery when it's broken

hotpotato1092
05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Look, I think we can all agree that the lottery system is flawed. I just want to throw out a possible solution and want to see if anyone has ideas. My basic feeling is that the Clippers are the worst run organization in the league and don't deserve Blake Griffin, and the Grizzlies are a close second and they don't deserve Rubio or Thabeet. So basically here's my idea to fix the lottery: don't determine lottery standing by record alone. Make it a three way system. Make record worth 1/3 of a team's lottery chances, average attendance (in percentage not seats filled) worth 1/3 of a team's lottery chances, and make how much money the team spent worth 1/3 of a team's lottery chances (meaning the team that spent more would have a better chance to win the lottery). Now why would this system work you might ask? Well here's my view: first of all, it gives teams like Phoenix or New Jersey, teams that winning the lottery could actually help, a better chance at winning. Wouldn't Blake Griffin make the Nets a top 5 team in the East? Wouldn't Ricky Rubio be the perfect long term replacement for Steve Nash to keep their run and gun style afloat? That's my first point, teams that can actually be helped by the lottery have better chances to win rather than a team like Memphis or the Clippers who aren't going any where any way because they are just run so badly. My 2nd reason: it encourages fans to go to games, which creates revenue for teams. How do you convince fans to show up at a Kings-Grizzlies game on a tuesday night in January? You tell them it gives their team a better chance at Blake Griffin. With teams doing so badly in attendance because of this economy, teams would love to be able to tell their fans that coming to games could help get them a franchise player. Maybe it wouldn't fill buildings, but it would definitely fill some seats and make teams money. My final reason, it punishes cheap skate owners. If an owner doesn't want to put money into making his team better than he'll have a worse chance to win the lottery. It encourages owners to spend more on their teams because they actually could get something out of it. Basically that's my idea to fix the lottery, what do y'all got? And is my idea good?

kswissdaf
05-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Not to be harsh but this is stupid. Fan attendance should have nothing to do with the draft. The whole point of the draft is to create parody. You cant just say a team shouldn't get a high pick because of its fans and your opinion on how they are run. Look at the Cavs they were horrible and they got LBJ which totally changed there franchise. Once again the whole point of any professional sport's draft is to create parody

kswissdaf
05-27-2009, 10:06 PM
BTW i think the lottery is just stupid it just should be the team with the worst recored,

kswissdaf
05-27-2009, 10:06 PM
And the nba is kidding themselves if they think it prevents tanking

theuuord
05-27-2009, 10:08 PM
BTW i think the lottery is just stupid it just should be the team with the worst recored,

wrong.

the lottery is fine. stop trying to fix something that isn't broken, and definitely stop trying to take the lottery away from teams that won it just because you don't like the team.

madiaz3
05-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Not to be harsh but this is stupid. Fan attendance should have nothing to do with the draft. The whole point of the draft is to create parody. You cant just say a team shouldn't get a high pick because of its fans and your opinion on how they are run. Look at the Cavs they were horrible and they got LBJ which totally changed there franchise. Once again the whole point of any professional sport's draft is to create parody

its parity but this is true

anyway some areas are just not as fortunate as others

GregOden#1
05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
There's a great way to guaranty the Knicks get the first pick every year....

Hawkeye15
05-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Phx has sold every pick they had recently. They are in the lottery cause they were stupid the last year. Why should they be rewarded?
To fix it, the worst 5 teams go thru a lottery for picks 1-5. Then, teams 6-14 have a lottery for their position.
Makes is fair, and doesn't let a team like the Bulls last year, who have zero business winning the lottery, anywhere near the top few players.

Quello scelto
05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
There's a great way to guaranty the Knicks get the first pick every year....

haha thats the same thing I was thinking :eyebrow:

Baller1
05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Phx has sold every pick they had recently. They are in the lottery cause they were stupid the last year. Why should they be rewarded?
To fix it, the worst 5 teams go thru a lottery for picks 1-5. Then, teams 6-14 have a lottery for their position.
Makes is fair, and doesn't let a team like the Bulls last year, who have zero business winning the lottery, anywhere near the top few players.

I actually really like that idea...

Kakaroach
05-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I hate the part about fan attendance lol. No reason to punish a team just cuz they have a ****** fan base.

Hellcrooner
05-27-2009, 10:53 PM
absoolutely NO, that system only would favour big market teams with stupid owners that spent with no control.

If any thing waht shoudl be done is once season ends, look at the teams that didnt make the playoff and see how many wins did they get against other lottery teams the one that did better gets more ball.

this way you can be sure they will fight untilgame 82 with a passion and tanking wont happen.

dee279
05-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah i think it should be the team with the worst record. They should make it like the NFL. The lottery to me keeps alot of bad teams bad. Chicago from the 10th or 12th spot where ever they suppose to have been got the 1st pick. That should not be able to happen. If they wanted a lottery i think the 1, 2, and 3 picks should only be given to bad teams. Teams with the worst records. Myabe lottery those 3 off with the 3 worst teams. Im saying if a team wants to lose on purpose, all that does is make that team look worst then they really are. Makes them look pathetic, and helpless and loses all respect.

Ilir
05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
and by what your trying to implement that teams that suck should forever suck!!! yea that sounds amazing... why havent they implemented this like 150 years ago...

but seriously i think the draft is fine as is. the balance of power for teams shifts every so often teams like the bulls used to be great fell off and now are back in it again. the knicks used to be contenders all of the 90s now fell off the wagon hopefully back on it soon. (LeBron '10 if they lose to the magic) The draft does it job the teams that need the most help get it by getting the players with the most potential to become a star.