PDA

View Full Version : Are techs too easily called?

RaiderLakersA's
05-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I grew up watching 80's basketball, so to see D. Howard get called for a "taunting" tech in yesterday's game bothers me. What bothers me more? That the league is able to downgrade and remove technical fouls after the fact. It's not like they also take away the 1 point that accompanied the tech.

Anyway, what is your view of how technical fouls are handed out. Too liberal, too infrequent, fair?

kozzer
05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
That technical was BS. It should get rescinded. But overall, yeah, the refs are too quick to call Techs.

what54!?
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
yeah they are. That was a B.S. call. I mean come on, they tried to take away mutombo's finger wag. That was his trademark

JordansBulls
05-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes I remember one game in particular in 1997 when MJ dunked on Mutombo for the first time ever he waved his finger at Deke and got a technical and I was like WTF. How can he get a tech for that when MT Mutombo does that every time he blocks a shot and never gets a tech for it?

To me technicals should only be called if you are arguing with the refs constantly or if you are constantly taunting a player. How can you expect guys not to be emotional when they make a great play or do something great?

NYstateofMinD
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Lol oh yeah I remember that. I hate that taunting techs especially. I want emotion from these players. Funny how I see LeBron roar like a bear and never gets a tech called on him. Oh well what are you gonna do? I can't wait for Stern to get the **** out.

DJYankee
05-27-2009, 02:20 PM
They treat them like prisoners.

Jahari Kavi
05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
although I find it funny when players taunt one another, I do understand them being called technicals. If a guy is constantly yelling in another guys face that he's better and such and such, it can potentially lead to a punch in the face. See Dr. J and Larry Bird. And for the record Howard did shout at Varejo, so I think the tech was deserving...just like J.R. Smith was deserving of a tech as well.

MagicBucsSox
05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
I grew up watching 80's basketball, so to see D. Howard get called for a "taunting" tech in yesterday's game bothers me. What bothers me more? That the league is able to downgrade and remove technical fouls after the fact. It's not like they also take away the 1 point that accompanied the tech.

Anyway, what is your view of how technical fouls are handed out. Too liberal, too infrequent, fair?

if your on the magic ya, cavs can dance,throw chalk take pix ,tackle dwight,throw balls at us whatever they want

kingkobe
05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
If Dwight's taunt was a tech then KG should have been ejected for doing the 'crawl'. Now that would have been funny for us and really embarrassing for KG. I wish they do that to him next year.

Jahari Kavi
05-27-2009, 02:28 PM
KG constantly gets J'ed when he does that idiotic crawl.

MiamiHeat
05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
if your on the magic ya, cavs can dance,throw chalk take pix ,tackle dwight,throw balls at us whatever they want

:laugh2:
don't forget throwing elbows

macc
05-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Techs are def called to often. This is the playoffs, players should be able to show at least a little emotion without having to worried about a tech being called. Also I don't think techs should be able to be removed after the fact because just as stated above, the pt still stays so why complicate things even more and give people more to complain about if their team loses by 1 and the tech gets dropped after the fact. Flagarants should be reviewed afterwards to see what the intent was but that's where I would draw the line.

superkegger
05-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech's and flagrants need to be handed out less often. Part of this has to go on the players though. They talk way to much and whine way to much, so while I don't like the amount of techs handed out, if they'd stop being prima dona cry babies after every call...

Vinny642
05-27-2009, 02:50 PM
"Kindegarten league" thats what its becoming, that BS T should get rescinded.

BRADY4MVP
05-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech's and flagrants need to be handed out less often. Part of this has to go on the players though. They talk way to much and whine way to much, so while I don't like the amount of techs handed out, if they'd stop being prima dona cry babies after every call...

could not agree more...the players piss'n'moan way too much

it seems that after every call, it wasnt the players fault

_Sn1P3r_
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes. I think just let them show their emotion without having to be worried of the consequence. Call it when necessary, you'll just know when.

IBleedPurple
05-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Agreed. It is a little ridiculous at this point

Kakaroach
05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Techs are handed out way too much. Like Keg said, so much of it is up to players. They have to do a better job of controlling their emotions and not flipping out at every little thing.

IndyRealist
05-27-2009, 04:39 PM
tech's and flagrants need to be handed out less often. Part of this has to go on the players though. They talk way to much and whine way to much, so while i don't like the amount of techs handed out, if they'd stop being prima dona cry babies after every call...

+1

jetsfan28
05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
My personal opinion is that they are not. I think that the game is made worse by things like arguing with officials and taunting during plays, and if they can get rid of that, or limit it through technical fouls, it makes the game better.

SJSHARKIES
05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Yes, techs are called way too often. NBA is the toughest sport to officiate in my opinion, but techs are being handed out left and right. I forgot who was the player that threw that ball at the magic player? How the hell is that not a tech? There needs to be consistency in calling fouls and techs and we all know there really isn't any consistency.

what54!?
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Yes, techs are called way too often. NBA is the toughest sport to officiate in my opinion, but techs are being handed out left and right. I forgot who was the player that threw that ball at the magic player? How the hell is that not a tech? There needs to be consistency in calling fouls and techs and we all know there really isn't any consistency.
that was mo williams throwing the ball at howard.

Vinny642
05-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I remember Posey threw th ball at a refs leg and got suspended a game, we won the game against the spurs with him chandler and peja at their stadium i was happy that game but then he got hurt and missed like 5 others. The NBA takes stuff tooo seriously