PDA

View Full Version : With Scott and Wieters, What Does The Lineup Look Like?

Driven
05-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Scott's coming back soon, and Wieters is obviously coming back on Friday. So what does that mean for Reimold? Wigginton? The lineup in general?

What does YOUR lineup look like?

I personally want to see Reimold in left every day. Pie can be the 4th outfielder and can pinch run. I'd switch Scott up with Wigginton at DH, with Scott getting the majority of the ABs. Wigginton can also fill in at 1B, 3B, SS, LF or whatever when someone needs a day off.

I'd also switch up the lineups. I feel like right now the O's top 3 or 4 is the best in baseball, but with Scott and Wieters this is a deep lineup. I'd like to push Jones and Markakis back for power purposes. A number two hitter might be tough to find on this team, but honestly, I'd like to experiment with Mora there for a while just to see how it works out again.

2B - Roberts (S)
3B - Mora (R)
CF - Jones (R)
RF - Markakis (L)
1B - Huff (L)
C - Wieters (S)
DH - Scott (L)
LF - Reimold (R)
SS - Izturis (R)

bal_ravens
05-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Yeah I agree with that luneup, but i'd still probably like to see the Roberts-Jones-Markakis top of the lineup. I think they just have great chemistry going right now, that I wouldnt even chance it.

thegreatone08
05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Markakis is not a clean up hitter. He will be our 3 hitter for the next 6 years atleast. Jones is comfortable in the two hole and I wouldn't mess with that. They alway say if its not broke then don't fix it. No way our top 3 change.

Terptilidie3
05-27-2009, 08:52 AM
GreatOne - Agreed. Markakis is in a little bit of a slump (for him) but I think that his protecting Jones is waaayyyy too important even consider changing it. Brob, AJ and Markakis are scoring the most runs of any top 3 in baseball. I'd have to check but I'd bet that their average is one of the top 3, doubles, and hits in general are probably leading all other top 3's in the game. No chance it changes.

Dave P
05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
even though weiters can mash, he won't start hitting very high. remember adam jones was a 300 hitter in the minors and was our number 8 hitter all last season. for the start im betting itll be

roberts--jones--markakis--huff--mora--scott--reimold--weiters--izturis. but itl eventually probably be weiters moving to maybe the 5 hole (mora isnt hitting or producing runs) and itll be roberts--jones--markakis--huff--weiters--scott--reimold--mora--izturis.

also huff will most likely get dealt and snyder could come up and hit 8th

bigity b
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
i dont see mora making it back to the top of the lineup. Roberts-Jones-Markakis is pretty locked in for the next handful of years. To answer your question, I think Scott will only platoon at DH against favorable right-handed pitchers. This year's lineup is up in the air because of the surprisingly great development of Reimold + who knows how fast Weiters could catch on to pro pitching + any potential trades (huff, scott, mora).

The lineup I would love to see next year is:
1. 2B - BRob (s)
2. CF - Jones (r)
3. RF - Markakis (l)
4. C - Weiters (s)
*5. DH - Huff/Scott ? (l)
*6. LF - Reimold (r)
*7. 3B - Mora (r)
*8. 1B -
9. SS - Izturis (s)
*= can be interchangeable depending on who's hot and who's at 1st, who's on the roster, etc...

TChef02
05-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I think the top of the order could be tweaked a number of ways but if Jones keeps hitting the way he is so far this year with the power he has added I might think about dropping him to 3 or 4.

Roberts
Mora
Markakis
Jones
Huff
Weiters
Scott
Wigginton/Reimold
Izturis

Eventually when Wieters gets used to the next level and starts producing at the plate like we think he will it may work best to switch things up like this...

Roberts
Markakis
Jones
Wieters

Driven
05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Markakis is not a clean up hitter. He will be our 3 hitter for the next 6 years atleast. Jones is comfortable in the two hole and I wouldn't mess with that. They alway say if its not broke then don't fix it. No way our top 3 change.
Markakis is not a stereotypical cleanup hitter, but neither is Huff. No one on the team is yet.

It's not like Markakis can't hit cleanup... he's the best hitter on this team. He gets on base and hits for power.

Driven
05-27-2009, 02:16 PM
even though weiters can mash, he won't start hitting very high. remember adam jones was a 300 hitter in the minors and was our number 8 hitter all last season. for the start im betting itll be

roberts--jones--markakis--huff--mora--scott--reimold--weiters--izturis. but itl eventually probably be weiters moving to maybe the 5 hole (mora isnt hitting or producing runs) and itll be roberts--jones--markakis--huff--weiters--scott--reimold--mora--izturis.

also huff will most likely get dealt and snyder could come up and hit 8th

Snyder needs to continue his hitting in AAA first though. I do agree with trading Huff.

But I highly doubt they're going to have Wieters hit 8th. You can't compare him to Jones. Jones wasn't as polished as Wieters and didn't have the hype. Jones also wasn't productive last season. They aren't going to have Reimold hit above him. Jay Bruce came up last year and hit between 3rd and 5th all year long.

And the lineup I had was MY lineup. If I had to guess what Trembley would do, I'd say:

2B - Roberts
CF - Jones
RF - Markakis
1B - Huff
3B - Mora
DH - Scott
C - Wieters
LF - Reimold
SS - Izturis

VTklunk
05-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, it's so obvious that Jones is getting really good pitches because Markakis is behind him, but I love that he is taking advantage of it. And I definitely am of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it as some other people have mentioned.

So I'm with Driven that it should look like this:

2B - Roberts
CF - Jones
RF - Markakis
1B - Huff
3B - Mora
DH - Scott
C - Wieters
LF - Reimold
SS - Izturis

Would love to see Wieters develop into that clean up hitter for next year.

Terptilidie3
05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Wieters will bat 8th. Reimold isn't getting moved out of the 7 slot just yet. With Wieters, Izturis and BRob you have three switchies in a row to roll over the lineup. That's siiiilllllyyyy...

I too would love for Wieters to develop that power....quickly. I'm excited to see him take over for Zaun. A sub .200 average for most of the season, Zuan has been absolutely huurrrrrttting.

I'd like to just make the statement though (and I know I'm not the first) that Reimold is a solid, solid prospect. He seems to get better with each at bat. I'd love to see him slotted in the clean-up spot in the future and Wieters protecting him in the 5th spot. For years Reimold has been projected as the best power bat...He's perfect for that clean-up spot.

To those who mentioned Jay Bruce batting 3 - 5 in Cincy and comparing that situation to the O's and Wieters...You do realize that it was Cincy, right? That's a pretty good distance from Baltimore...and can I also mention that he was hitting 3 - 5 before they realized that Joey Votto was Joey Votto. Bruce wouldn't hit third in this lineup, he'd probably hit 5th. The quality of hitters in Baltimore (especially 1 - 4) eclipse the quality of those in Cincy (with the exception of Bruce). Personally (and not to be a homer) I'd probably take Adam Jones over Jay Bruce if I had my choice. It would be a tough one but if Adam Jones is going to hit for the higher average and have, say, 6 or 8 less homers than Bruce, I'll take Jones all day. Not to mention the defensive factor...but we're talking about hitting. So why can't Reimold hit in front of Wieters? If we're talking about putting Wieters higher in the lineup, why isn't Reimold up for consideration for being put higher in the lineup? Why isn't he batting 4th? His numbers in the minors over the last two years are very comparable to Wieters. Again, he projects the best power of all of the O's prospects - The reason he's not the clean-up hitter is the same reason why Wieters will bat 8th..the same reason why Adam Jones batted 8th for the better part of last year - it takes time to get acclimated to MLB pitching. You leave the younger guys at the bottom to protect their development.

If we were making a lineup based on potential and talent:

Roberts
Jones
Markakis
Reimold
Wieters

2 - 5 has an average age of 24. 24!

To reiterate I personally see Reimold as more of a 4 spot hitter than Wieters. Wieters is a more prototypical 3 hitter....but Markakis prrroooooobbbbly isn't getting moved. He works counts, he hits for power and average, he's got good speed...he's the perfect 3 hitter.

I just think it's absurd to suggest that Reimold can't hit in front of Wieters because Wieters is the more celebrated player. We all know the potential he has but like someone mentioned earlier today, before we anoint him king, let's see what he does first. Andy Mac did tell everyone that the lineup on opening day wouldn't be the same in a month, two months. Obviously that held weight. Maybe tonight's lineup will be drastically different than the lineup we see in August. If Reimold keeps improving and hitting 450 foot shots to dead center and Wieters becomes the M Dubbs we all want him to become, I think we'll see those guys in the top 6 of the lineup...but not just yet.

Driven
05-27-2009, 04:09 PM
To those who mentioned Jay Bruce batting 3 - 5 in Cincy and comparing that situation to the O's and Wieters...You do realize that it was Cincy, right?

Bruce is more comparable of a situation than Markakis or Jones.

I just think it's absurd to suggest that Reimold can't hit in front of Wieters because Wieters is the more celebrated player. We all know the potential he has but like someone mentioned earlier today, before we anoint him king, let's see what he does first.

I know what you mean, but if we're playing the "let's see how he does first" concept, then we have to do that with Reimold as well.

And with Scott back, I'm not even sure if Reimold is an every day player in the mind of Trembley yet.

Terptilidie3
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
The situation I meant was that Bruce was being brought up to hit in a lineup without as many established hitters...not to mention super-stars in the making.

And I think there is no doubt that Reimold is an everyday player. He doesn't lose that spot. Andy Mac even said that Reimold has been absolutely terrific and has done everything asked of him. Reimold is better defensively, has the better arm and is 5 years younger than Scott. Reimold hasn't shown an outrageous inability to hit certain pitchers yet (righties vs lefties). And, for no other reason than the youth movement has begun. Scott isn't exactly young. He's such a streaky hitter too. I'd much rather have a guy hover around .280 than have someone that, for a week hit .320 and then the next week hit .240. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier this afternoon, if we could package Scott with a Baez or Sherrill we could get a pretty decent 1b or 3b prospect in return. Maybe a guy with a huge upside but smaller name.

I think it's safe to assume that Scott will be dealt sooner rather than later. He doesn't give the O's anything that Reimold doesn't. I mean, he was getting platooned last year because he couldn't hit left-handed pitching. I like Scott but I'd much rather like to turn on a game and say "look at that outfield. They're not going anywhere for the next 5 years".

Am I crazy to compare Reimold to Carlos Quinton? Did anyone else pick up on his approach at the plate?

Driven
05-27-2009, 04:32 PM
I agree with what you're saying, I just don't see Wieters hitting as low as 8th, but we'll see.

Terptilidie3
05-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Eh hem.... Nolan Reimold anyone?

bigity b
05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
The best news is 5 of the O's 9 spots in the lineup are locked up for years to come and are via our own system (except for jones, kind of). Plus, those 5 guys all factor to hit at the top of the lineup and none of them play the tradition power positions (1B, 3B, some could make a case for SS today). As we add/fill those positions, our lineup will be as deep as any for the next handful of years.

My input on the Scott question is he will solely be DH when facing a favorable matchup. I dont see how he can stay on the roster as a field player when Pie and Montanez seem to have bumped him on the depth chart. Those two also have more potential whereas with Scott what you see is what you get (which still aint bad)

I also need to learn to appreciate the team as is and watch the guys develop, but my mind cant help from wandering into 'what if' fantasy situations. Here's my latest one; what if Cleveland is unable to lock up Victor Martinez and he hits the FA market this summer. He'll be the top prize ala Tex. I say we do all we can to sign him and make him our 1B for the next 5+ years. Just imagine...

Driven
05-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Scott is a starter over both Montanez and Pie no matter what. He might not be a fielder for the O's, but he'll at least DH.

While Pie has potential, his ceiling isn't as high as Scott's production.

TChef02
05-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I think with the way Reimold is playing and now that we have Scott back healthy Pie could get the axe sometime soon. He dosn't have any real value for us right now even with his "potential" and it looks like Reimold could be our long term answer at LF so we don't really need him. Look for the Orioles to attempt a trade involving Pie or just putting him on waivers.

O's Boy15
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
This should be our line-up:

1. Brian Roberts
2. Nick Markakis
3. Adam Jones
4. Aubrey Huff
5. Melvin Mora
6. Luke Scott
7. Nolan Reimold
8. Matt Weiters
9. Cesar Izturis

What a lineup! The reasons I moved Adam Jones to third are because of his power and his speed usually your third spot is reserved for your best player, and no slight to Markakis but at this point Jones seems more like the 5 tool player type than Nick and he passed Nick Markakis as being our best all around hitter so he should hit 3.