PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson fined $25,000 for criticizing officials

DenButsu
05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
If need be, this can be merged into the "complaining about the officiating" thread later, but for now I thought it was headline-worthy enough to merit its own thread.

Lakers coach Jackson fined for criticizing officials

Los Angeles Lakers head coach Phil Jackson has been fined $25,000 for publicly criticizing game officials, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations. The Lakers were also fined $25,000 for their coach's comments.

Jackson and the Lakers have been fined for his comments made after Game 4 of the Lakers' series with the Denver Nuggets.nba.com (http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/05/26/jackson.fined/index.html)

On a related note, here's one take on the situation (written before the fine was announced):

Jackson starts psychological warfare

The Denver Nuggets had just won perhaps the biggest game in their NBA history. Their towel-waving fans were still in a frenzy as they filed out of the Pepsi Center.

No, Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson didn't try to steal their thunder by claiming Coca-Cola is better. But he did just about everything else Monday night to try take the focus off his Lakers getting whipped, 120-101, at their own game dominating inside.

"We didn't know what a foul was and what wasn't a foul out there,'' Jackson said after the West finals was tied 2-2. "The situation that got the game kind out of hand. Luke (Walton) came across the lane, got hit in the throat by (Nuggets center) Nene with an elbow, complained to the referee about getting hit in the throat with an elbow on his cut.

"And the referee gave him a technical, then subsequently gave him three consecutive fouls. ... That's not equal refereeing.''

Never mind that the Nuggets were already up by 14 when Walton got his technical early in the fourth quarter.

Then Jackson talked about how Nuggets guard Dahntay Jones played "unsportsmanlike basketball" by tripping Lakers star guard Kobe Bryant, and said it has happened in two previous series games. That prompted even Bryant to wonder what exactly his coach was talking about.

"No, I just fell on my face for no reason," said Bryant, calling it "good defense" by Jones. "I'm a klutz."

Nuggets coach George Karl had said before the game that Jackson always has had an ability to come out on top when it comes to psychological warfare. Now, Jackson really needs to resort to his old tricks.foxsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9612714/Jackson-starts-psychological-warfare)

I think that's about the extent of it. I imagine PJ will get his way and game 5 will be called even tighter than game 2. Dahntay even looks in Kobe's general direction in what the refs think is the wrong way, and the whistle will blow, would be my guess. So for Jackson, this isn't as much of a fine as it is an investment.

theuuord
05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
that second article does not do justice to just how firmly Kobe's tongue was planted in his cheek when he said every one of those statements.

still1ballin
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I won't be surprised if all the calls go against Denver next game. What makes me is angry is that the league took off the flagrant foul on Bynum gives a flagrant foul on Jones. Right there that is 4 FT's and 2 possessions. What if the Lakers lost by a point or 2?

championships
05-26-2009, 09:24 PM
That figures, God forbid you say anything about the NBAs Refs. Even when they phuq up and I'm not just talking about that game or the calls on my own team, I'm talking about the whole playoffs and every team.

AmerTeam/KB24
05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
He gets fined 4 speaking his mind.........

clehmun
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
If need be, this can be merged into the "complaining about the officiating" thread later, but for now I thought it was headline-worthy enough to merit its own thread.

nba.com (http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/05/26/jackson.fined/index.html)

On a related note, here's one take on the situation (written before the fine was announced):

foxsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9612714/Jackson-starts-psychological-warfare)

I think that's about the extent of it. I imagine PJ will get his way and game 5 will be called even tighter than game 2. Dahntay even looks in Kobe's general direction in what the refs think is the wrong way, and the whistle will blow, would be my guess. So for Jackson, this isn't as much of a fine as it is an investment.

i like how you're already complaining about the calls in game 5 when the games not until tomorrow.
and still1ballin is correct, if the nba gives a team a flagrant foul AFTER the game, what's the point? that's a potential 4-5 points. and a huge momentum changer.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
exactly whats the point of giving it after and why is he not suspended in stead of the flagrant since it makes no difference suspend him that will make things not quite better but itll be a step. But all game lakers were getting jipped honestly watching that game made me sick i dont mind if denver beats lakers by playing there best but beating them unfairly is just nasty..

i.got.the.nutz
05-26-2009, 09:44 PM
why shouldn't the lakers get the calls in game 5? its only fair. thats how it's been all season and all playoffs. we all know this.

basketball is a game where the referees can take over a game by making a few bad calls to change the momentum of a team, and the refs in these playoffs are missing more than a few.

IBleedPurple
05-26-2009, 09:46 PM
I won't be surprised if all the calls go against Denver next game. What makes me is angry is that the league took off the flagrant foul on Bynum gives a flagrant foul on Jones. Right there that is 4 FT's and 2 possessions. What if the Lakers lost by a point or 2?

I agree they missed those, but also missed several other calls on both teams. And as for your "what if", it didn't happen, so it is irrelavent. What if the Nuggets had inbounded the ball correctly and hit game winning shots? The hypothetical game could be played all day.

still1ballin
05-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I agree they missed those, but also missed several other calls on both teams. And as for your "what if", it didn't happen, so it is irrelavent. What if the Nuggets had inbounded the ball correctly and hit game winning shots? The hypothetical game could be played all day.

What if will happen sooner or later. I am saying the league needs to take this into consideration because in the future I am sure this will happen if a team loses by 1 or 2 points by a blown call by the refs. As far as the inbounds play, the refs had no impact on those plays. Sorry, if player don't know how to imbounds the ball correctly, then you should lose.

BlinkManJan02
05-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Can someone tell me why players/coaches get fined for commenting on the refs officiating? It's ridiculous. It's pretty obvious the officiating is god awful at times. But if someone mentions that, the fines come flying in. I wonder where the money goes after a player/coach is fined.

Kakaroach
05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I love Kobe's response to the question about Jones. "No I just feel on my face for no reason". :laugh2:

bleedprple&gold
05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
iand still1ballin is correct, if the nba gives a team a flagrant foul AFTER the game, what's the point? that's a potential 4-5 points. and a huge momentum changer.

Well it definitely doesn't make up for it, but I guess its better than not making the correction in case a player racks up enough points to where he should be suspended. In this case, it just means that Dahntay Jones has to be really careful now, and no more dirty plays because one more and he's suspended, so I'm glad they made the correct call late than not at all....

dandman1021
05-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I love Kobe's response to the question about Jones. "No I just feel on my face for no reason". :laugh2:

hahaha that was funny

Er1c
05-26-2009, 10:38 PM
hahaha that was funny

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

myqntab
05-26-2009, 11:01 PM

of course YOU did :rolleyes:

foxsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9612714/Jackson-starts-psychological-warfare)

is this an admission that the game has not been officiated properly? so in game 5 when "all the calls go the lakers way" mantra starts...you are saying that the game is being properly called?

DenButsu
05-26-2009, 11:13 PM
of course YOU did :rolleyes:

Well, a Lakers fan posted the same news as a thread in the Lakers forum that's getting some traction, so apparently it's not just ME, but it's also Lakers fans who consider this a topic worth discussing.

is this an admission that the game has not been officiated properly? so in game 5 when "all the calls go the lakers way" mantra starts...you are saying that the game is being properly called?

Geez, you're pretty good at reading stuff I didn't write and talking about it as if it was actually there, even though it wasn't.

But since you apparently didn't understand what I wrote the first time, let me say it again as plainly and simply as I possibly can: Phil is working the refs in advance of the game. I'm sure he knew he would be fined for ranting against the officiating (the NBA always does that), and I'm also sure that for him it was a calculated risk that's worth taking if it results in game 5 being called in the Lakers' favor, which for him is the desired outcome, of course.

i.got.the.nutz
05-26-2009, 11:53 PM
The Lakers were gonna get the calls either way with or without him saying anything. Thats how the NBA works. It's unfortunate but its the truth.

superkegger
05-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Meh, Jackson uses the media like a sock puppet, he's a master of it.

pete_one
05-27-2009, 12:34 AM
25k thats light change for PJ

Chronz
05-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Right or wrong he gets his message across

AllTheWay
05-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Gotta love Kobes sarcasm.

DenButsu
05-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Right or wrong he gets his message across

FWIW, I'm not passing judgment on his statements, I'm just saying let's call it what it is: working the refs, with a price tag attached.

tr4shb0t
05-27-2009, 01:05 AM
It's true calls were bad, but I don't want to say it cost us the game. We were horrible on the boards. I expect Denver to get some calls their way at home anyway.

But, the trip by jones on kobe was upgraded to flagrant. The flagrant on bynum was downgraded to a PF. Both after the fact. That should have been 2 extra freethrows for Lakers, 2 fewer freethows for Denver, and an extra possession for Lakers, and 1 fewer possession for Denver. All this when the game was pretty close. Probably why PJ is mad.

Ilir
05-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Can't agree with Jackson more... and to the writer that seems to be brain dead Bryant was being sarcastic he was clearly upset when it happened but didnt want to seem like a cry baby so he just went the sarcasm route.

mikantsass
05-27-2009, 09:56 AM
This thread is awful......
Its just Lakers fans crying and complaining just like their OVERRATED coach
Cmon grow up... Denver is a better team and will win the series

markhebert42
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Tonight I say that Luke W. needs to play clean but mean. Lakers down Thuggets tonight and close out in Denver.

Ilir
05-27-2009, 10:45 AM
This thread is awful......
Its just Lakers fans crying and complaining just like their OVERRATED coach
Cmon grow up... Denver is a better team and will win the series

The nuggets chance to win is gone. They lost game 3, giving lakers home court advantage again. If the nuggets can't steal game 5 they can't win the series. If denver was the better team they wouldnt of lost at home. and the lakers would be down 3-1 right now. just like the cavs magic series where the magic are truly the better team.

Long live king james

DenButsu
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
It's true calls were bad, but I don't want to say it cost us the game. We were horrible on the boards. I expect Denver to get some calls their way at home anyway.

But, the trip by jones on kobe was upgraded to flagrant. The flagrant on bynum was downgraded to a PF. Both after the fact. That should have been 2 extra freethrows for Lakers, 2 fewer freethows for Denver, and an extra possession for Lakers, and 1 fewer possession for Denver. All this when the game was pretty close. Probably why PJ is mad.

Here's a quiz for you, in two parts:

a. How many of K-Mart's technicals in the playoffs were subsequently rescinded?
b. How many times have you seen Nuggets fans complaining about that?

lakersrock
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Here's what I want to hear a Den fan admit.

1. Bynum in no way should have gotten a flagrant.
2. Jones should have gotten two for the shove and trip.
3. Nene really did jack Walton in the throat.
4. Walton really got a fast three fouls after that.
5. It's true about the fouls in the post. Only Denver knew what they could get away with in there.....everything.

....and good for you Phil. You're making 10M this year. I expect you to get a 50K fine this series if the refs keep it up.

IBleedPurple
05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Meh, Jackson uses the media like a sock puppet, he's a master of it.

Agreed. There is nobody better than the Zen Master

The nuggets chance to win is gone. They lost game 3, giving lakers home court advantage again. If the nuggets can't steal game 5 they can't win the series. If denver was the better team they wouldnt of lost at home. and the lakers would be down 3-1 right now. just like the cavs magic series where the magic are truly the better team.

Long live king james

That is like saying if the Lakers were the better team, they wouldn't have lost either. That argument fails. And while it is very unlikely the Nuggets would win the series after losing game 5, it is still possible. Same goes for the Lakers. Both teams have proven they can win at home, or on the road. This series is not like the Cavs v Magic series.

And I don't think King James will be living much longer, at least not in these playoffs ;)

IBleedPurple
05-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Here's what I want to hear a Den fan admit.

1. Bynum in no way should have gotten a flagrant.
2. Jones should have gotten two for the shove and trip.
3. Nene really did jack Walton in the throat.
4. Walton really got a fast three fouls after that.
5. It's true about the fouls in the post. Only Denver knew what they could get away with in there.....everything.

....and good for you Phil. You're making 10M this year. I expect you to get a 50K fine this series if the refs keep it up.

1. One of Bynum's arms hit Andersen in the head, the other hit near the ball. With Andersen's headband pulled down, I am guessing the ref interpreted that it was head contact, as he was more behind Bynum than in front.

2. Agreed

3. He did, but several other calls in the paint were not whistled, on both ends.

4. Walton committed 3 fouls, he didn't just get them. He played like an idiot, and when a game is being called that close, you have to adjust your game. Any NBA veteran would attest to that.

5. The Lakers could have gotten away with just as much as the Nuggets, the problem is, they didn't try. The Nuggets pounded the paint, and fought for rebounds all night. Meanwhile, the Lakers were content with mid-range jumpers, and occasionally getting Gasol the ball. I think every Lakers player, and especially their coach, knows that if the jump shots aren't working, you drive to the basket and force the opposing team to defend you very well, or get the call and go to the line.

You can blame the refs all you want, but the fact is, the Nuggets were the more aggressive team, and subsequently got more calls. You cannot blame the lack of intensity and willingness from the Lakers on the refs, that is just a bad excuse. Losing by 19 is not the fault of anyone but the Lakers players, especially anyone not named Kobe or Pau.

jimbobjarree
05-27-2009, 12:02 PM
yeah that Bynum flagrant was absolute horseshit.

seriously, the way this game is going is worrying, especialy after Dwights T last night :pity:

DenButsu
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
5. The Lakers could have gotten away with just as much as the Nuggets, the problem is, they didn't try. The Nuggets pounded the paint, and fought for rebounds all night. Meanwhile, the Lakers were content with mid-range jumpers, and occasionally getting Gasol the ball. I think every Lakers player, and especially their coach, knows that if the jump shots aren't working, you drive to the basket and force the opposing team to defend you very well, or get the call and go to the line.

You can blame the refs all you want, but the fact is, the Nuggets were the more aggressive team, and subsequently got more calls. You cannot blame the lack of intensity and willingness from the Lakers on the refs, that is just a bad excuse. Losing by 19 is not the fault of anyone but the Lakers players, especially anyone not named Kobe or Pau.

Yeah, it's a little unrealistic to expect to be awarded a lot of foul calls in the post by making practically no attempt to score in the paint.

The Lakers were 3-3 on dunks, but only 5-14 on layups. Denver on the other hand went 10-10 on dunks and 11-24 on layups. Denver attempted twice as many layups and dunks as the Lakers did, 34-17.RMC (http://www.roundballminingcompany.com/2009/05/26/western-conference-finals-game-4-additional-nuggets/)

tr4shb0t
05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Here's a quiz for you, in two parts:

a. How many of K-Mart's technicals in the playoffs were subsequently rescinded?
b. How many times have you seen Nuggets fans complaining about that?

here is a quiz for you smarty:

1) This has what to do with game 4 LAL-DEN?
2) Why would Denver fans complain if they won and advanced in those earlier series?

dnnug
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I love how lakers fans are coming up with every excuse under the sun for the loss when in fact they just got out played in Denver and Denver is the better team.

On Jones, This is the way I see it, was it dirty? Yes it was but thats not an excuse for not playing good basketball lakers fans

Ilir
05-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Agreed. There is nobody better than the Zen Master

That is like saying if the Lakers were the better team, they wouldn't have lost either. That argument fails. And while it is very unlikely the Nuggets would win the series after losing game 5, it is still possible. Same goes for the Lakers. Both teams have proven they can win at home, or on the road. This series is not like the Cavs v Magic series.

And I don't think King James will be living much longer, at least not in these playoffs ;)

just cause u say one thing doesnt mean the opposite is true. I think they are pretty evenly matched but winning a game on the road in the playoffs is a difficult task for either team. And the nuggets did it once already this series the chance it happens again is slim and thats the main point I was getting at.

Havoc Wreaker
05-27-2009, 01:31 PM
He's been crying since last year's finals, it's about time he got a fine or something

lakerboy
05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Well there were a lot of obvious fouls against the Lakers that have gotten away in this series. But I personally believe the officiating is bad on both ends. Dahntay Jones deserved to be suspended for that trip, but even as a die hard Laker fan I gotta admit there were times when Dahntay Jones was being called for ******** fouls Kobe. A few calls here in and there and I wouldn't mind. But I remember at least one time where he got consecutive calls and I think those calls were just awful. It's like what happened with Luke Walton and Carmelo Anthony.

Ultimately, I think all bad calls even out. But I hate the fact that there were two very important missed calls that caused and could have caused the Lakers wins. One was the out of bounds shot by Chauncey in game 1, and the other was JR Smith's jump ball violation. I think those two missed calls were the most awful in all series.

lakersrock
05-27-2009, 03:27 PM
1. One of Bynum's arms hit Andersen in the head, the other hit near the ball. With Andersen's headband pulled down, I am guessing the ref interpreted that it was head contact, as he was more behind Bynum than in front.

2. Agreed

3. He did, but several other calls in the paint were not whistled, on both ends.

4. Walton committed 3 fouls, he didn't just get them. He played like an idiot, and when a game is being called that close, you have to adjust your game. Any NBA veteran would attest to that.

It was a joke haha, but thanks for answering. BTW, you never saw me say it was the refs fault. We wouldn't rebound and get in the way of guys going to the hole. The refs sucked major, but that didn't lose the game.

LA_Raiders
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Just be fair, thats all we want....

LA_Raiders
05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I love how lakers fans are coming up with every excuse under the sun for the loss when in fact they just got out played in Denver and Denver is the better team.

On Jones, This is the way I see it, was it dirty? Yes it was but thats not an excuse for not playing good basketball lakers fans

At the end of the day we will win, you all know..

DenButsu
05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Well there were a lot of obvious fouls against the Lakers that have gotten away in this series. But I personally believe the officiating is bad on both ends. Dahntay Jones deserved to be suspended for that trip, but even as a die hard Laker fan I gotta admit there were times when Dahntay Jones was being called for ******** fouls Kobe. A few calls here in and there and I wouldn't mind. But I remember at least one time where he got consecutive calls and I think those calls were just awful. It's like what happened with Luke Walton and Carmelo Anthony.

Ultimately, I think all bad calls even out. But I hate the fact that there were two very important missed calls that caused and could have caused the Lakers wins. One was the out of bounds shot by Chauncey in game 1, and the other was JR Smith's jump ball violation. I think those two missed calls were the most awful in all series.

Great post.

Sig - not so much. :p

DenButsu
05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
here is a quiz for you smarty:

1) This has what to do with game 4 LAL-DEN?
2) Why would Denver fans complain if they won and advanced in those earlier series?

Well, it has to do with the many, many posts (including yours) from Lakers fans complaining that Denver got an undeserved bonus FT and possession when that T was called on Bynum but later rescinded. So what I'm saying is, the same thing happened to us when K-Mart's Ts were rescinded (except for the double T on Gasol and K that didn't impact possessions or FTs in that game because they canceled each other out).

Eagles4Lyfe
05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
its hard for us to play hard when calls arent going our way and going favourably in the other teams direction. Yesterdays magic cavs game was the most fairest officiated match i have seen in the conf finals, hopefully that keeps up into this series. And as for us not trying hard don't worry dhantay jones juss woke up kobe which is the most ******** thing he can do, watch kobe go off tonite and light it up, nuggets arent wining this game period end of discussion....

tr4shb0t
05-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Well, it has to do with the many, many posts (including yours) from Lakers fans complaining that Denver got an undeserved bonus FT and possession when that T was called on Bynum but later rescinded. So what I'm saying is, the same thing happened to us when K-Mart's Ts were rescinded (except for the double T on Gasol and K that didn't impact possessions or FTs in that game because they canceled each other out).

Well they didn't deserve them, so I guess people would complain. If you go back and read my post I wasn't complaining, just saying why Phil Jackson was mad.

jrodmesche
05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
^First of your sig is gay as **** you cant make fun of JR Smith hes the man

Second i would just like to say that Jackson is a whiney little *****

mikantsass
05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Face it Lakers fans..... Your team is SOFT. S-O-F-T SOFT. The only one that knows how to play physical is Kobe. This is playoff basketball. Gasol, Odom and Vujacic are not going get it done. Denver is playing the Lakers like the Celtics did last year. And the Lakers are crying after every game like they did in the Celtics series.

All i have to say is I hope NIKE made commercials with Carmello and Dwight puppets.

jrodmesche
05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
^ you said it

smith&wesson
05-27-2009, 09:41 PM
that second article does not do justice to just how firmly Kobe's tongue was planted in his cheek when he said every one of those statements.

your right, obviously he didnt fall on his face on his own... that writers a ****** for not recognizing that he was being sarcastic. aparantly it doesnt take much to be a sports writer now a days. bet you he didnt even watch the game because if he at least even saw a replay he would see that that was a tech if not a flagrant!!