PDA

View Full Version : Iversons career over?

JayW_1023
05-26-2009, 10:26 AM
From CNNSi.com, Truth & Rumors:

Will Allen Iverson play in the NBA next season? At this point, the answer appears to be no. Iverson, who turns 34 in June, still has scoring skills, but he demonstrated in Detroit that he's unwilling to alter his ball-dominating role for the good of his team. When asked to come off the bench for the Pistons late in the season, Iverson chose to stop playing and left the team. Add the fact that Denver made enormous improvements after trading Iverson for Chauncey Billups and it's tough to imagine a team that would see Iverson as an asset.

Daily Herald

You think he should retire or not?

DrDEADalready
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Needs to be a team player. if he can't then I think he should retire.

S-Dot
05-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I was actually just thinking about A.I. David Alridge has him going to the Bobcats, but I think that would be a step back for that young team. He still has few good years if he could accept not being a 1st option, and take the same type of role Jason Terry has with Dallas; A.I. is still a tough player. I'm still not sure which team could use him though

Blah Blah Blah
05-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Iverson may mentally feel he still has it but physically because of age he doesn't. He can score but it would have to be more jumpers cuz he can't drive as he used to. With PHI, and DEN success, many GMs must be wondering the same thing about whether to bring him to their respective teams. If he goes to a young, up and coming team like the Bobcats it would set them back for a couple years prolly. Unless he learns he is not a first option anymore and most likely not a starter anymore, I don't see many GMs even considering him for their teams.

EricU812
05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
There will be several teams "interested" in AI, but its going to depend on what he wants. He was great when he was younger, but he wasn't going to win a championship with his style of play..even when he was in his prime.

He needs to accept what type of player he is now. Call Starbury if you want and ask him.

Ni55anpat
05-26-2009, 11:23 AM
**** BG, bring in AI

op12
05-26-2009, 11:27 AM
i think someone will give him a shot. he would likely start at sg for the bobcats, but i personally wouldnt like to see him here. the cats will likely take a sg in the draft so they could develop behind ai for a couple years. makes sense, but i still dont care for it.

Jay22Redd
05-26-2009, 11:37 AM
NO. He has some years left. He just has to be the man.

KaganRS
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
**** BG, bring in AI

Be careful what you wish for !

BkOriginalOne
05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I can only start for a few teams in the NBA, such as the bobcats. However, he can be a great 6th man for most teams that need an upgrade offensively at the 2, such as the Hornets, Spurs, Jazz, Rockets (assuming they keep artest).
Where ever he goes there has to be a bigger point guard who can D up and shoot the 3. Or a two that can do the same thing.
Perfect scenario in Charlotte playing alongside raja bell.

kozzer
05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd say that he'd need to be on a team that isn't half-court heavy on offense and most of the defensive strategy revolves around passing-lane gambling. But mostly a team whose defense is "scoring more than the other team". Teams like Golden State, Atlanta or Sacramento, although I think that even with his skills he would do nothing but lower a given team's overall success. Personally, I hope he's done.

JayAllDay
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
The quoted text is so badly rehashed and recycled I don't think it even deserves a new thread. Everybody knows about his fall from grace with the Pistons and Nuggets. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table.

FarOutIos
05-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd say that he'd need to be on a team that isn't half-court heavy on offense and most of the defensive strategy revolves around passing-lane gambling. But mostly a team whose defense is "scoring more than the other team". Teams like Golden State, Atlanta or Sacramento, although I think that even with his skills he would do nothing but lower a given team's overall success. Personally, I hope he's done.

As a kings fan, I thought about this for a minute. Only way we should take him is if we can somehow trade Beno. Then we could start AI and have our rookie PG coming off the bench for less pressure. (we are guaranteed to pick a PG this year)

BUT- I would only sign him to a one year contract at a reasonable price...

The positives for this move:
1- AI gets the chance to start and showcase his skills
2- AI becomes first options and takes pressure off young players, and allows Kevin Martin to be second option (ideal for him)
3- AI becomes marketing tool to boost attendance

The negatives for this move:
1- Team chemistry could be disrupted
2- Signing AI would take most of our available cap space and we probably wouldn't sign anyone else
3- Our Rookie PG would be learning from AI- if it is someone like Jennings, it might be a recipe for disaster

broncofangene
05-26-2009, 11:55 AM
This guy destroyed the Nuggets and the Pistons. Retire, learn to play team basketball at age 33, or join And1. Look at the difference in Carmelo since he left, he's a different player. A.I. makes every team worse that he joins.

Frank Costanza
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I want AI

pippsux
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
No way he wants to end his legacy this way. He quit on Detroit and lots of other GM's will reference that. It would have to be a team desperate to sell tickets, decent or Philly. He gave so much to that franchise, it would be nice for him to finish his career there. Iggy has grown since AI was in Philly and they have a nice young nucleus.

Hanzinho
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Come to Bostooooon!!!!!

(For the minimum and to the bench)... :D

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Afridi786
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
This guy destroyed the Nuggets and the Pistons. Retire, learn to play team basketball at age 33, or join And1. Look at the difference in Carmelo since he left, he's a different player. A.I. makes every team worse that he joins.

Except the team he took to the finals.

theimortalone
05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Come to Bostooooon!!!!!

(For the minimum and to the bench)... :D

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

haha this isn't Marbury we are talking about here!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

broncofangene
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Except the team he took to the finals.

That was 10 years ago and they lost.

what54!?
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
no he just needs to go back to philly. They would love him there

ink
05-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Didn't read the thread, but I think he'll be back.

ink
05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
haha this isn't Marbury we are talking about here!

Yeah, Marbury, that selfless team player. :laugh2:

charlsdq7
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
no way AI still has 2-3yrs left...bring him bak to philly pliz!!!!!!

AIsixersFK
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
AI needs to be on a team where he can play SG. He has been forced to play pg because of size an expected to do what is against the way he plays which is a distributor. I think he can still be "the man" in a small market team like Indiana or Charlotte and be effective.

Missing56&33
05-26-2009, 02:31 PM
AI is a #2 player to build a team around(like the thread started about #2 players to build a championship team around) maybe Houston, maybe LA, maybe Atlanta. He can still play.

AIsixersFK
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
no he just needs to go back to philly. They would love him there

Of course the fans would love him there....he created a legacy there. But Philly taking him back would be a huge step back from what they are trying to do right now.

AWC713
05-26-2009, 02:49 PM
rockets?

what54!?
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
rockets?
too much ball movement for him

Hellcrooner
05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
if he wants to be the man, make the comercials, shot all the shots and be the hero he has no place in the nba nowdays.

The only place he could get taht more or less is Europe.

And of course not in one of the top teams, because no coach of a greek , russian or spanish team that intends to win something would extedn a blank check for Him to do as he pleases.

MiamiHeat
05-26-2009, 03:07 PM
if any team wants to make AI the focus point on their offense, then yes AI will be back next year

abe_froman
05-26-2009, 03:08 PM
he'll go to the bench for cheap on a contender

MiamiHeat
05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
he'll go to the bench for cheap on a contender

he said he rather retired than to come off the bench again

abe_froman
05-26-2009, 03:30 PM
he said he rather retired than to come off the bench again

thats what he says,i just believe him

broncofangene
05-26-2009, 03:35 PM
AI needs to be on a team where he can play SG. He has been forced to play pg because of size an expected to do what is against the way he plays which is a distributor. I think he can still be "the man" in a small market team like Indiana or Charlotte and be effective.

Its hard to play SG when your pushing 6 feet and can't cover.

JOSKOMANG4
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Allen Iverson can still contribute.

I think he'd be a great roll-player, a 6th man.

I would love to see him in Houston. T-mac is pretty much gone and hopefully they can find a suitor for him;possibly not.

Houston Resigns Artest and get Iverson, that would be a nice team looking team.

C- Yao
PF- Battier
SF- Artest
SG- Iverson
PG- Aaron Brooks

tjp2033
05-26-2009, 03:55 PM
I could see him playing for the Knicks. He would be able to take his shots and thats basically all he wants.

Caribe
05-26-2009, 04:03 PM
AI is going to Toronto.

ink
05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
AI is going to Toronto.

God no.

Frank Costanza
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
AI is going to Toronto.

thats what frank wants,

welcome to psd caribe

ink
05-26-2009, 04:47 PM
thats what frank wants,

welcome to psd caribe

Yes, welcome to PSD.

Frank, you did notice what happened in Detroit this year right??? ;) :laugh2:

Detroit runs a system. Iverson couldn't fit in.

BC has committed to running a system next year based on ball movement. How is Iverson compatible with that when time and time again we've seen that he is exclusively an ISO player and is ineffective with system-oriented teams?

DitchDat
05-26-2009, 05:14 PM
he can still play, but he's too stubborn. He's alway complaining he can't do it alone, but in fact it's all he wants, he wants to do it all by himself. He's too selfish.

BlinkManJan02
05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Needs to be a team player. if he can't then I think he should retire.

everyone should be a team player. some of these NBA players are so stubborn :mad:

ive always liked AI, so i hope he stays around for a while.

Frank Costanza
05-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Yes, welcome to PSD.

Frank, you did notice what happened in Detroit this year right??? ;) :laugh2:

Detroit runs a system. Iverson couldn't fit in.

BC has committed to running a system next year based on ball movement. How is Iverson compatible with that when time and time again we've seen that he is exclusively an ISO player and is ineffective with system-oriented teams?

i guess my wish and hope is that with 0 rings on his finger that if you give him a starting spot the touches that can get a man 17-20 points that he will be more of a team player , i think if you put him on a team that has so much talent already he would bring whats missing

slashing to the free throw line
no die attitude in all situs
locker room playoff experience

i know he didnt look good in detoriot ppl have the impression if you cant be part of that team your done you cant play anywhere, i think that is false, that was a team that just didnt mesh well with him, im not sure what an
"AI" freindly team would be, but hey ppl are mentioning philly, why not toronto, we got money, we got love,

Chronz
05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
For the record, AI was NEVER against coming off the pine, what he was against was playing 18 MPG

Jaydes
05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
For the record, AI was NEVER against coming off the pine, what he was against was playing 18 MPG

FINALLY some one said it...

Its the truth. AI has no issue coming off the bench, if he can get 20+ minutes a game.

In any event, I will be outside the comcast building with Iverson gear on and signs telling Ed to bring AI back to Philly.

He should end his career with the Sixers and lets face it. AI will be like MJ over Willie Green...

:eyebrow:

Brand - C
Speights - PF
Young - SF
Iverson - SG
1st round pick Ty Lawson or Johnny Flynn - PG

Caribe
05-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the Welcome. Much appreciated...

I agree with Frank that AI is not bad for the Raptors.
If we want a team for the playoff, we can bring back Delfino or whoever and that's all but if we want to be a contender why not take a risk and bring a guy that is just looking for a ring?

ink
05-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the Welcome. Much appreciated...

I agree with Frank that AI is not bad for the Raptors.
If we want a team for the playoff, we can bring back Delfino or whoever and that's all but if we want to be a contender why not take a risk and bring a guy that is just looking for a ring?

Because he's not a team player. Bryan Colangelo wants team players.

Not only would he prevent the Raptors from being a contender, he would prevent them from being a team.

Whether he does it on purpose or not, he has been an obstacle to team success in at least the last two stops in his career.

I can understand that AI fans still hang on to this notion that he's a scoring star, but those days are largely over and now he's more trouble than he's worth.

I don't think he'll quit, but I also don't see how any team would want a player like that. What contender would risk their chemistry?? What building team would risk having their development stalled by a distraction like Iverson??

_KB24_
05-26-2009, 07:33 PM
As a kings fan, I thought about this for a minute. Only way we should take him is if we can somehow trade Beno. Then we could start AI and have our rookie PG coming off the bench for less pressure. (we are guaranteed to pick a PG this year)

BUT- I would only sign him to a one year contract at a reasonable price...

The positives for this move:
1- AI gets the chance to start and showcase his skills
2- AI becomes first options and takes pressure off young players, and allows Kevin Martin to be second option (ideal for him)
3- AI becomes marketing tool to boost attendance

The negatives for this move:
1- Team chemistry could be disrupted
2- Signing AI would take most of our available cap space and we probably wouldn't sign anyone else
3- Our Rookie PG would be learning from AI- if it is someone like Jennings, it might be a recipe for disaster

There are no negatives. Your the Kings. If Kwame Brown would play for you guys, that would be a plus.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2009, 08:40 PM
AI can still ball, for sure. But he will need to accept a role, ala, Ray Allen, to have a chance to succed finally

madiaz3
05-26-2009, 08:50 PM
He can play the 2 on offense if the PG next to him is tall enough to guard the 2.

madiaz3
05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I could see him playing for the Knicks. He would be able to take his shots and thats basically all he wants.

lol

AmerTeam/KB24
05-26-2009, 08:54 PM
he needs to be in the right system like D'ntoni....

ink
05-26-2009, 09:18 PM
he needs to be in the right system like D'ntoni....

This boggles my mind. How is Mike D'Antoni's ball movement based system a good environment for a player who doesn't share the ball especially well???

This is a complete misconception but we hear it all the time. :shrug:

KingOf215
05-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Anyone who is still better than 90% of all the other players who play the same position should still be playing.

hotpotato1092
05-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Maybe the Spurs? He wants a ring, they need a jolt and they don't know how Manu's gonna come back. Just throwing that out there.

OBredskin
05-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Maybe the Spurs? He wants a ring, they need a jolt and they don't know how Manu's gonna come back. Just throwing that out there.

I agree that the Spurs would be a good pick for AI. Yes they are a team, but they sometimes need someone other than Tony Parker and Manu to create offense. That is the only reason why Roger Mason had any success because after him came Matt Bonner....AI would do good for the Spurs, but more importantly, Popovich will do really good for AI. But some other teams I could see him on:

Warriors
Suns
Thunder
Philly
NY

AIverson
05-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Do you people even watch AI play?

Some of the stuff in this thread is just myths about his game. Any team that needs a scorer will take him.

JayAllDay
05-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Maybe he'll sign a one year deal, or sign for real cheap like then he would come to the Knicks. I don't see him fitting in to their "plan" but as a Knick fan I would welcome it. Marbury failed but maybe AI won't....

heh... I will say this though. I do think AI is miles ahead of Nate Robinson.

dee279
05-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Any teams players should be happy to play with a future hall of famer

TracyMacAdidas
05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey i'm new to the board, found this thread intriguing.

I do not think Allen Iverson's career is over IF he finds the right team. it's definitely not the Pistons. He needs to go to a team that is a run and gun team like the 76ers (ironic).

Maybe the Knicks?