PDA

View Full Version : Over-Under W/Bill Simmons

Chronz
05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Reading from good ol BS this morning (What else is new the man is a genius), and some fans came up with a few interesting ones in his latest mailbag (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090522/part1&sportCat=nba)

1. LeBron James ... Over/Under 3.5 MVPs in his career
2. Kobe Bryant ... Over/Under 4.5 career NBA titles
3. Dwyane Wade ... Over/Under 1000 Career Games
4. Chris Paul ... Over/Under 1.5 NBA titles + MVP awards
5. Carmelo Anthony ... Over/Under 1.5 scoring titles
6. Greg Oden ... Over/Under 2.5 All-Star Games
7. Derrick Rose ... Over/Under 6.5 All-Star Games
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 9.5

Bill Simmons Added a few:

9. Shaquille O'Neal ... Over/Under 3.5 more seasons

10. Dwight Howard ... Over/Under 0.5 MVPs

Should be interesting to compare your reasoning to his, but first post your ballot.

Heres mine

1. LeBron James ... Over 3.5 MVPs in his career
2. Kobe Bryant ... Under 4.5 career NBA titles
3. Dwyane Wade ... Under 1000 Career Games
4. Chris Paul ... Under 1.5 NBA titles + MVP awards
5. Carmelo Anthony ... Over 1.5 scoring titles
6. Greg Oden ... Over 2.5 All-Star Games
7. Derrick Rose ... Under 6.5 All-Star Games
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 12

9. Shaquille O'Neal ... Over 3.5 more seasons
10. Dwight Howard ... Over 0.5 MVPs

Hawkeye15
05-25-2009, 03:39 PM
2. Kobe Bryant ... Under 4.5 career NBA titles
3. Dwyane Wade ... Over 1000 Career Games
6. Greg Oden ... Under 2.5 All-Star Games
7. Derrick Rose ... Over 6.5 All-Star Games
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 12 (wow, I agree Chronz, I went thru every team, that is what I got)

9. Shaquille O'Neal ... Under 3.5 more seasons

AWC713
05-25-2009, 03:45 PM
does it count if we put t-mac in the hall of fame twice?

Master Mind
05-25-2009, 03:46 PM
D-Wade-Over 1 NBA title, 1 scoring title, 1 finals MVP, 0.5 MVP

ManRam
05-25-2009, 03:50 PM
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 9.5 Under

My first ballot HOFers. Kobe, LeBron, Shaq, Duncan, KG, Nash I think are first ballots. Guys like Kidd, Iverson, Dirk, Ray, PP aren't quite there I think. I think 4 out of those bubble guys and guys like Rose, Durant, Anthony, Billups, Dwight, Yao etc...will push the number to above 10.

I can't see Dwight winning an MVP. Not dominating enough offensively, and don't know if he will ever be, I think Melo will easily get 2 scoring titles.

VinceGully
05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
1. LeBron James ... Over/Under 3.5 MVPs in his career OVER
2. Kobe Bryant ... Over/Under 4.5 career NBA titles UNDER
3. Dwyane Wade ... Over/Under 1000 Career Games UNDER
4. Chris Paul ... Over/Under 1.5 NBA titles + MVP awards UNDER
5. Carmelo Anthony ... Over/Under 1.5 scoring titles UNDER
6. Greg Oden ... Over/Under 2.5 All-Star Games OVER
7. Derrick Rose ... Over/Under 6.5 All-Star Games OVER
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 9.5 16

Bill Simmons Added a few:

9. Shaquille O'Neal ... Over/Under 3.5 more seasons UNDER

10. Dwight Howard ... Over/Under 0.5 MVPs OVER

magichatnumber9
05-25-2009, 04:44 PM
If they still have the Pod Cast you should listen to BS report with JA Adande. Good Stuff

Wake's Fastball
05-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I think Simmons hit them all right on the head... probably at least part of why he put it in there.

superkegger
05-25-2009, 05:24 PM
2. Kobe Bryant ... Over 4.5 career NBA titles
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 15

tsb77
05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 9.5 Over

theuuord
05-25-2009, 08:12 PM
2. Kobe Bryant ... Over 4.5 career NBA titles (side note: if they lose this year, I take the under)
4. Chris Paul ... Over 1.5 NBA titles + MVP awards
5. Carmelo Anthony ... Under 1.5 scoring titles
8. Current NBA players as first-ballot Hall of Famers ... 9.5 Over (I can count 12 off the top of my head...)

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 08:28 PM
i think a lot of people here don't understand how hard it is to be a first ballot hall of famer

theuuord
05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
i think a lot of people here don't understand how hard it is to be a first ballot hall of famer

Kobe
Duncan
James
Shaq
Garnett
Duncan
Kidd
Wade
Iverson
Pick one between Dirk/Nash/Pierce/Allen/Mutombo

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Kobe
Duncan
James
Shaq
Garnett
Duncan
Kidd
Wade
Iverson

well it was more of a response to the people who were saying 15...

but wade is not a sure 1st a ballot hall of famer yet...he's only really had about 4 good/great seasons...i think it takes more than that. otherwise guys like grant hill and penny hardaway would be first ballot too..

nash will get in, dirk won't (shouldn't) be first ballot...allen shouldn't be first ballot,and i'm borderline with mutombo, (he was only great on one side of the court)...

nash is the same as mutombo but the opposite, but people tend to look at offense more than defense

theuuord
05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
well it was more of a response to the people who were saying 15...

but wade is not a sure 1st a ballot hall of famer yet...he's only really had about 4 good/great seasons...i think it takes more than that. otherwise guys like grant hill and penny hardaway would be first ballot too..

nash will get in, dirk won't (shouldn't) be first ballot...allen shouldn't be first ballot,and i'm borderline with mutombo, (he was only great on one side of the court)...

nash is the same as mutombo but the opposite, but people tend to look at offense more than defense

Nash is a two-time MVP. He'll get in first ballot. Mutombo is a humanitarian unlike what most of us could ever imagine and a billion-time defensive player of the year, give or take six years. Wade will make it if he plays at or around this level for six or seven more seasons, which is entirely within his reach.
Dirk should be first ballot, he has an MVP in his case and his production is outstanding beyond what most people think. Allen broke the record for most threes in a season, won a title last year, and is the deadliest three point shooter in his generation. He'll break the 20k point mark next season, and provided he sticks around for a few more years he'll be a no-doubter.

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Nash is a two-time MVP. He'll get in first ballot. Mutombo is a humanitarian unlike what most of us could ever imagine and a billion-time defensive player of the year, give or take six years. Wade will make it if he plays at or around this level for six or seven more seasons, which is entirely within his reach.
Dirk should be first ballot, he has an MVP in his case and his production is outstanding beyond what most people think. Allen broke the record for most threes in a season, won a title last year, and is the deadliest three point shooter in his generation. He'll break the 20k point mark next season, and provided he sticks around for a few more years he'll be a no-doubter.

the point i was making about nash was that he doesn't play defense. and to be quite honest he's one of the worst defensive pg's i've ever seen...atleast for a superstar. i know he's going to be a first ballot hall of famer, but whether or not he truly deserves it is another story.

dirk will probably be a first ballot hall of famer too. but he is a one dimensional player. he's a scorer, he doesn't really do much else...he's an average (at best) rebounder for his position, and he's been the anithesis of clutch throughout his career in the playoffs. he's also benefited from having very good teams around him, though there is no doubt he's a lethal scorer.

allen is one of the better pure shooters to ever play the game, and he has a pretty good shot of getting into the hall of fame, but until he got two allstars around him, what has he ever done...

i'm just playing the devils advocate...

superkegger
05-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Kobe
Duncan
James
Shaq
Garnett
Duncan
Kidd
Wade
Iverson

I think those guys are all likely first ballot guys, Chauncey, Vince and Tmac could all possibly be 1st ballot guys.

I considered that, and then I figured I could count on 3 of the young studs in the NBA to have a great career and be considered a first ballot HOFer. I mean between Roy, Rose, Durant, Dwight, Beasley, Aldridge, Al Jeff, Rondo, Bosh, Paul, Yao, Oden, Gil, Deron, Parker, Melo, among others, I thought it was possible of all the guys in the NBA today, there was a good chance 15 would be first balloters.