PDA

View Full Version : Serge ibaka

dsickich123
05-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Serge Ibaka is still only 19 years old and is looking really really good...

Everyone is forgetting that he is going to play in our summer league and most likely be on our team next year...

He is the defensive presence that we have been looking for and he is crazy athletic (winning dunk contests in spain)...

We do not need to trade up and get griffin because he will be another forward for us next year...(not saying he is as good as B. Griffin)

check out this video of Ibaka in Spain....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkxeAUJezP4

Baller1
05-25-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm really excited to see him come over here and show everyone what he can do (whenever that is).

dsickich123
05-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm really excited to see him come over here and show everyone what he can do (whenever that is).

We have his rights for one more year...
so its either next year, or the year after...
It depends on if they think he is ready or not...
to me, he looks ready...

Baller1
05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I think he'll be ready.

dubh46
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
We have all watched him on video and he looks good. I think he has a chance to bring this team something we are lacking. But I think about it 2 ways.
1. How good are those people he is playing against? Hell I look like a true baller when I play against the kids at the middle school.
2. Why settle for someone if you have a chance for someone better? Thats like saying we dont need Kobe when we have Bob McLovin playing over seas.

I say which ever way it goes, take the best available or trade for someone better. Be it Blake or someone who has been in the league for a while.

dirk206
05-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I think either way you look at it, he's going to take some time to develop if he does come over to the league. I believe the competition he's playing against is ok but not great so I don't think he's going to come into the league turning heads. Also if he does make the team, he's probably going to be like 3rd or maybe even 4th on the depth chart as far as big man/PF, you think it's better if he starts down in the D-league?

dsickich123
05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Why would he be a 4th stringer?
You are kind of treating him like he is just some free agent...
This guy was a first round draft pick (He just needed time to develop over-seas because he was 18 YEARS OLD!)
He has a ton of potential, and did when he was drafted (reminds me of Shaun Kemp)
He is starting to live up to the hype now in Europe...
I honestly believe that he has the chance to be a star...

Baller1
05-25-2009, 10:32 PM
I think either way you look at it, he's going to take some time to develop if he does come over to the league. I believe the competition he's playing against is ok but not great so I don't think he's going to come into the league turning heads. Also if he does make the team, he's probably going to be like 3rd or maybe even 4th on the depth chart as far as big man/PF, you think it's better if he starts down in the D-league?

That's a tough decision. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes to bring him over, and then evaluate from there.

dirk206
05-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Why would he be a 4th stringer?
You are kind of treating him like he is just some free agent...
This guy was a first round draft pick (He just needed time to develop over-seas because he was 18 YEARS OLD!)
He has a ton of potential, and did when he was drafted (reminds me of Shaun Kemp)
He is starting to live up to the hype now in Europe...
I honestly believe that he has the chance to be a star...

We'll he's going to be playing PF if he comes over & Nick Collison, DJ White, & Jeff Green are all ahead of him on the depth chart. You have to understand he is by no means a star in Europe, he's averaging 7.1 PPG, 4.5 rebounds and a block a game in only 16 minutes of play, that's decent at best. Also it's not like we need him to come in and start putting up huge #'s, were probably going to give him a few years to develop, he's athletic as hell, but I'm pretty sure he's going to get quite the rude awakening when he goes up against some of the star PF's in the Western conference. He's not going to be the stereotypical PF, more like a Amare Stoudemire/Shawn Kemp so he's going to have to find ways to use his athleticism to score because at this point, from what I've heard, he doesn't have any solid post moves yet.

dubh46
05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I am not taking anything away from the guy, I just think it is easy to look great against lesser than NBA players. As for him playing in the D-League???? I think it would really help him out in getting ajusted to the NBA style of play. I love his hustle and motor, would like to see some more post moves, but he will get there. I think he could get decent mins. at center against a few teams. Utah, NO, Denver, Dallas, Spurs, just in the West.

BlazerNation
05-26-2009, 01:34 AM
I think the only thing that gets him ready for the NBA is playing in games--getting actual minutes with the Thunder or with the D-League. But keep in mind that the spanish league is anyones best guess. He might appear better than he really is by playing against inferior defenders in the spanish league, maybe they are legit, but he did seem to score almost all of his points on dunks. So we can't really tell how good he is or isn't because we can't really judge the level of competition he is playing against. The D-League would probably help him adjust to the different style of basketball.

I get the impression that he is more athletic than everyone in the Spanish League. In the NBA, clearly everyone is stronger and more athletic. So I can't say how he would fare against NBA players rather than Spanish players. Looks like a work in progress.

dirk206
05-26-2009, 05:39 AM
We'll he played against some of the top teams in the Spanish league including Real Madrid & DKV Joventut Badalona (team Ricky Rubio is currently on) so he played against good competition but he in the 4 matches he played against those teams he only had 1 game where he put up 16 points, the other 3 games he was held to 7 points or less.

I don't know why everybody thinks the D-league is so horrible, some decent players & former 1st round picks were assigned to their respective teams D-league affiliates this year like Morris Almond, Kyle Weaver, DJ White, JR Giddens, Donte Green & Joey Dorsey. The way I look at it, what good is it to have a guy come off the bench as maybe the 8th-10th guy off the bench and get maybe 10-12 minutes at best (I'm guessing/ball parking about how many minutes he gets if he comes over to the NBA)? I think he needs consistent minutes and to get comfortable playing to the speed of the NBA game. He can do both of those things in the D-League.

I think against maybe a run & gun team or an uptempo team MAYBE we could use him at C/are big man, but believe me the guy is going to play PF. If he plays the C permanently, he will get his **** rocked, even Amare Stoudamire struggled a bit when he played the C position before Shaq came over.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ESP&PlayerID=110121

TKellion
05-26-2009, 07:42 AM
He was drafted at 18,Is Ibaka done growing or could he grow to 6'11" or 7 feet?He could be an option at Center and play next to Griffin.Just food for debate:D

Baller1
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I think teh D-League would serve well for Ibaka.

dsickich123
05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I am not taking anything away from the guy, I just think it is easy to look great against lesser than NBA players. As for him playing in the D-League???? I think it would really help him out in getting ajusted to the NBA style of play. I love his hustle and motor, would like to see some more post moves, but he will get there. I think he could get decent mins. at center against a few teams. Utah, NO, Denver, Dallas, Spurs, just in the West.

Europe Competition is not that easy...

IBAKA: is average 7ppg, 4.5rbs, and 1 block in 16mins

RICKY RUBIO: 10ppg, 6ast, 3to in 23 MINS

If you Put Rubio into 40mins a game in Europe his stats look like about: 18ppg, 10.5ast, 5.5to

If you put Ibaka into 40 mins a game his stats are:
18 ppg, 10.5reb, 2.5 blocks

*THE POINT IS IBAKA IS A PROSPECT IN EUROPE

Carey
05-26-2009, 07:24 PM
My gut tells me he will play one more year overseas, but i am very encouraged by what i see, With him, White, Green, possible Thabeet, we are gonna have a sick frontcourt very soon. I don't think he is done growing either, i think he'll be able to play the 4 or the 5 just depending on the matchup

Hellcrooner
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Ibaka hsoudl play one more year here in spain to develop and then go and take the nba by storm.

BUt well i guess he can go now and play some minutes.

IN the long runif nothing happens he will be a compelte STEAL for the so low position he was taken.,

I see him play often

Im talking about a drinkless KEMP.

TKellion
05-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Yeah that video is mostly dunks but I also saw a hook shot down low and a jump shot between the free throw line and the top of the key,12 to 15 ft?What we saw was him running the floor finishing easily on the break,Blocking shots around the basket and 1 or 2 passes.He has as much athleticism and game as Kemp had when they drafted him out of HS.Put a little more muscle on him and he could be our Dwight Howard(who was raw and athletic when he was drafted and still doesnt have a jump shot).Dwight Howard is listed at 6'11" so please dont use the"he will get abused by 7 Footers"argument because Im not buying it.

dirk206
05-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Little different though, Dwight Howard is a traditional back to the basket big-man, Serge Ibaka is not. i just don't see it. Plus, 6'11" is not undersized for the C position, when you get down to 6'9"-6'10", then you start to hear the term undersized. But Dwight Howard is just 265 Lbs of just straight up muscle, the man can bench press 345 Lbs, I just don't see Serge following in that mold of player. He's going to be a player who uses his athleticism to get by guys and score. But I think he may have his hands full if we make him a C because the big name C's (Dwight Howard, Chris Kaman, Shaq, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, Al Jefferson) all way at least 260. But if you see, all these guys are traditional big men. If you look at the centers who weigh a little less, it's the more of the athletic big men like Amare Stoudemire, Pau gasol).

dsickich123
05-28-2009, 09:38 AM
We only have him for one more year so its either this year or next year...
Either way I see him as a great addition to the team...
and Ibaka does need to add a little muscle but he is not a stick on the other hand...
eventually(give him 2-3 years i think he can play the center position)
check this link out....
It gives you a lot more info on the dude....

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/serge-ibaka

Corey
06-09-2009, 07:35 AM
IDK if anyone's posted this yet, but i found an Ibaka mix on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkxeAUJezP4

TheGreatDane17
06-11-2009, 08:48 PM
How much would it cost the Trail Blazers to acquire the rights to Ibaka? They have a 3 million dollar trade exception, Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye(You need big bodies), the rights to Joel Freeland(James Bond of Basketball) & Petteri Koponen.

Carey
06-12-2009, 08:21 PM
How much would it cost the Trail Blazers to acquire the rights to Ibaka? They have a 3 million dollar trade exception, Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye(You need big bodies), the rights to Joel Freeland(James Bond of Basketball) & Petteri Koponen.

Not gonna happen, drafting Ibaka is one of the key moves Presti has made. He's banking on his upside, Ibaka has star potential and nobody ur offering back can be anything more but a solid role player which we have started to already identify on our team.

oshen333
06-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Ibaka is a beast and i cant wait for him to come over to the states and play some ball.He's very athletic and knows where to be so he knows the plays

the unknown
06-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Ibaka is a star in the making.. unlike most african players he is extremely marketable...

no homo the dude is built .. picture this on a poster
http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20081005elpepspor_1/LCO340/Ies/Serge_Ibaka.jpg

this kid prob should stay 1 more year in Spain... but def should get some loving in summer league... on a team like the thunder, warriors, or knicks he can prob contribute right away on transition break away dunks and transition defense...

on a half court set team he wouldn't get any burn

Kzsonicfan86
06-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm still waiting for Peter Fehse, Pacellis Morlende, and Yotim Halperin to pan out. I won't be holding my breath for Ibaka to make an impact... at least not this season.

Baller1
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm still waiting for Peter Fehse, Pacellis Morlende, and Yotim Halperin to pan out. I won't be holding my breath for Ibaka to make an impact... at least not this season.

Not this season. But, he's going to be special (hopefully).

dsickich123
06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I think that he will be special....
He has a lot going for him...
I just hope that he can play the center position

dubh46
06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
He could play some limited mins. at center, but I think he would be consider a pf. I think he could come in handy against teams like the Lakers who have the twin towers thing going on. We had issues covering them. (so did everyone else.)