PDA

View Full Version : How many years does Kobe have left ?

Becks2307
05-25-2009, 08:10 AM
I' ve been wondering this lately. MJ dominated in the mid/late 90s winning championships and being the best in the league at the ages of 33,34 and 35

he won 3 championships
2 mvps
3 finals mvps

Kobe turns 31 this summer. Up to what age do you think he can play at an elite level ? Can you see Kobe at 34 still being #1/2 in the League ?

SeoulBeatz
05-25-2009, 08:34 AM
i can see him playing till he's 40+.

he's just so fundamentally sound, the most fundamentally talented basketball player ive ever seen with my own eyes, yes that includes timmy and MJ.

as hes gotten older, hes been honing his outside game more and more and is driving less and less, yet he's still dangerous as ever.

he'll lose a step and his vertical leap, but his jumper, I.Q, and will to win will still be there and he will still be a top player at least till his mid-late thirties; no doubt in my mind.

i can honestly see him bolting the lakers in his later years though, maybe returnin to his hometown PHILLY!!!

yeah right... one can dream though.

Rocco007
05-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Honestly 5-7 years at this level..He's already made the adjustment.He's no longer a high flying act..He's the best non 4 or 5 post up player in the league..and can shoot from anywhere on the court..facing or with his back to the basket..Depending upon how many rings he can win and how good LA remains..He'll play into his late 30's..

EX-TREME
05-25-2009, 08:44 AM
i can see him playing till he's 40+.

he's just so fundamentally sound, the most fundamentally talented basketball player ive ever seen with my own eyes, yes that includes timmy and MJ.

as hes gotten older, hes been honing his outside game more and more and is driving less and less, yet he's still dangerous as ever.

he'll lose a step and his vertical leap, but his jumper, I.Q, and will to win will still be there and he will still be a top player at least till his mid-late thirties; no doubt in my mind.

i can honestly see him bolting the lakers in his later years though, maybe returnin to his hometown PHILLY!!!

yeah right... one can dream though.

:nod:

Draco
05-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Pau and maybe Bynum will probably extend his career. I normally don't make any MJ comparisons concerning Kobe but as far as longevity of SG's are concerned... MJ said after his last retirement that he'd still be playing if he had a 7 footer on the team. And by that, I'm sure he meant one better than Luc Longley.

Hellcrooner
05-25-2009, 10:56 AM
at current level, two more seasons , a step behind another 2, barely allstar level add 2 more, sucking until he wants to retire.

JJ81
05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
He said he'd probably play another 8 years

xuchunle
05-25-2009, 11:43 AM
While getting older and physically weaker , such clever players as Kobe , MJ will highly rely on they experience , skill, and get even mentally stronger .

SeoulBeatz
05-25-2009, 11:47 AM
with this thread im intrigued to how long people think Lebron will last, seeing that a lot of his game has to do with his incredible athleticism, his outside shot is STILL suspect, kobe is def more talented, but Lebron is the more dominant player

lakersrock
05-25-2009, 11:48 AM
He will still be in the Top 3 players for four years. That gets him to 35. He'll play another 4-5 at All Star level and I see him retiring then. He said clearly he wants to play until he's 40 and with his supreme workouts/eating habits keeping his body as good as he can and having the most deadly game outside of the post, I can see it happening. Look at how big Ray came up for the Celtics at times. That's what I can see Kobe doing from 35-40ish.

Hustla23
05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Kobe is probably the healthiest, most fit basketball player in the league.

If you've watched any documentaries on him, he is an absolute workout nut.

He'll go another 2-3 years at this top flight production ( top 3 in the league ), and then maybe another 4-5 years as a top 10-20 player in the league.

LAKERMANIA
05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
5-7 years is a good estimate..

KB24PG16
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
good 5 years maybe even more

ponderingpluto
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
i think he will play till age 42. But the real question is, should he get both 8 and 24 retired?????

Unruly Fan
05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
He'll retire as soon as his numbers drop.

Hellcrooner
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
i can see him retiring in 2014 after his new almost max 5 year contract with lakers starting this season after he opts out, maybe go play in Italy for a year or two.

And maybe a comeback seasons to mimic his idol MJ.

Raidaz4Life
05-25-2009, 12:08 PM
9 years

blackcat45
05-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I do not know how you can call him the healthiest and most fit player in the league when he obviously is getting extreme amounts of media coverage in Los Angeles and because he is on a winning team. Guys like Carmelo Anthony and New Mexico's Danny Granger train extremely hard but NBA observers do not know much about them because of the lack of exposure. LeBron James is just beginning to lift weights and have you seen Corey Maggete, Andre Igudola, or Dwyane Wade? Are they not in shape and what about Chauncey Billups and Allen Iverson's well-known cardio stamina?

I respect his ability, there are no Jordan comparisons in my opinion, and it is comical to see the league try to use him as their launching pad for its product when this guy is truly playing for himself, has many off the court issues, and is a tremendous phony when he sees the camera on him. The sooner he retires the better off the league will be because it will have to look for another Laker "superstar" to advertise and hopefully they can concentrate on maybe that other guy in Cleveland even more because he is the leader for the NBA's superstar-obsessed culture.

In addition he is an overrated defensive player (always on the first team for no reason) and a focused J.R. Smith could make him look awful.

Draco
05-25-2009, 12:13 PM
^^ It's pathetic that you can still see Kobe biting the way MJ walked after a foul was called in the last game.

TragicallyHip
05-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I can see Kobe calling it quits before it's necessary. I'd say 3-5 more years. The dude definatly doesn't need the money.

bostonfan209
05-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I' ve been wondering this lately. MJ dominated in the mid/late 90s winning championships and being the best in the league at the ages of 33,34 and 35

he won 3 championships
2 mvps
3 finals mvps

Kobe turns 31 this summer. Up to what age do you think he can play at an elite level ? Can you see Kobe at 34 still being #1/2 in the League ?

Kobe will be great still at 34 as much as i hate him he is amazing but i don't think he will be #1/2 with LeBron Wade Melo and Howard in the league and also CP3.

mrblisterdundee
05-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Kobe will start to noticeably slow down after 33. By 34, don't expect him to average more than about 20 points per game, although he might become a better facilitator once he can't carry a team.

lakersrock
05-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Kobe will start to noticeably slow down after 33. By 34, don't expect him to average more than about 20 points per game, although he might become a better facilitator once he can't carry a team.

He'll average 25 PPG+ until he's 35. After that, I can see him playing PG if LA still uses the triangle. He's big, he has an outside shot and he can get the offense going. It makes too much sense haha.

Hellcrooner
05-25-2009, 01:00 PM
he will average 25+ until he retires even if he retires at 50

he will simply take more shots, easy as that.

He has not the right brain to understand the concept of aging, Passing and passing the torch.

Wich is ironic enough since he was always angry that Shaq didnt realize the concepts of aging, passing and passing the torch....

MiamiHeat
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
At this level maybe 3 or 4 more years
as a capable starter probably 5-6 more years

AllTheWay
05-25-2009, 01:19 PM
He's already adjusted his game, he can play at this level for about 5 more years before any decline happens.

Sly Guy
05-25-2009, 01:25 PM

he won 3 championships
2 mvps
3 finals mvps

he's got about 2 weeks left. Dwight is gonna send him to the floor so hard he'll never play the same way again.

Squad13
05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I do not know how you can call him the healthiest and most fit player in the league when he obviously is getting extreme amounts of media coverage in Los Angeles and because he is on a winning team. Guys like Carmelo Anthony and New Mexico's Danny Granger train extremely hard but NBA observers do not know much about them because of the lack of exposure. LeBron James is just beginning to lift weights and have you seen Corey Maggete, Andre Igudola, or Dwyane Wade? Are they not in shape and what about Chauncey Billups and Allen Iverson's well-known cardio stamina?

I respect his ability, there are no Jordan comparisons in my opinion, and it is comical to see the league try to use him as their launching pad for its product when this guy is truly playing for himself, has many off the court issues, and is a tremendous phony when he sees the camera on him. The sooner he retires the better off the league will be because it will have to look for another Laker "superstar" to advertise and hopefully they can concentrate on maybe that other guy in Cleveland even more because he is the leader for the NBA's superstar-obsessed culture.

In addition he is an overrated defensive player (always on the first team for no reason) and a focused J.R. Smith could make him look awful.

Phil Jackson has said he is the hardest worker he has seen.... A focused JR Smith first off is an oxymoron, and when Kobe plays man up D, not many are better.

QUICKTRADE
05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
the way he is playing long minutes.....my take is 4 yr max and he'll just snap if no support will be found . I mean scoring since pau is only good for a while but not the real pippen for jordan's time. Perhaps if ariza could develop into a pippen type player then he could extend to 6 more years.

madiaz3
05-25-2009, 02:17 PM

He has not the right brain to understand the concept of aging, Passing and passing the torch.

Wich is ironic enough since he was always angry that Shaq didnt realize the concepts of aging, passing and passing the torch....

cool guess into the future

Squad13
05-25-2009, 02:19 PM

lol I wish Gasol wasn't from Spain so we didn't have this guy as a lakers "fan".

Hellcrooner
05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
^sorry dude but i have been a laker fan since mid 80s.

you can also check my first post in psd lakers forum data.

AirJesus26
05-25-2009, 02:43 PM

king2218
05-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I think kobe can play still 9-10 more years in the league. He'll average about 25/26 ppg for the next 4 years, then his scoring will probably dip down to about 23 a game. He will still be a top 15 player when he retires. His work ethic is way too good. And he's already reformed his game from the athletic Kobe to the fundamentally sound kobe. His mid-range game, post up game, fade-aways, pull ups are way too good...they cant just dissappare.

NYMetros
05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
I think he has 3 more Kobe like seasons before he starts the decline.

superkegger
05-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I see Kobe playing till he simply just can't. He's an ultra competitor. His life is basketball, and not just in the sense that its his job, but like he loves basketball, and he's so narrowly focused on it. He'll play as long as his body allows him to. How long he'll be able to play at this level, who knows. But he'll play for a long long time. Kinda like Brett Favre. Even when he doesn't have it anymore, at like 38, Kobe will still go out that and compete like hell. He doesn't know any other way.

loki34
05-25-2009, 04:42 PM
20 more years
he'll never die...like mutombo

zambo4president
05-25-2009, 04:50 PM

he won 3 championships
2 mvps
3 finals mvps

1 MVP not 2.

superkegger
05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
1 MVP not 2.

No Michael won the MVP in 95-96 and his last year with the bulls 97-98. So 2.

AirJordan23
05-25-2009, 05:44 PM
:laugh: @ the thought of Kobe playing at a high level till 40. You have to take into account the fact that Kobe came into the league at 18 back in '96. So, he's really a 30 year old in a 33 year old's body. Compare his durabilty to guys who were drafted that year (AI, JO, Camby, Nash, Ray etc), it's much better due to his work ethic and competitiveness. But, really he can only play at this level for a certain amount of time. Kobe will only play at an all star level till about 33 or 34. Obviously, he'll make the all star game because he's so popular but he won't necessarily play at that level. And really why would Kobe play till he's 40? He has just about every award there's to accomplish.

And really MJ isn't a good example to use here. He was the best player in the league at 35 and around top 15 before he got injured in the '01-02 season but he missed a significant amount of time before that. He missed 64 games in the '87 season where he broke his leg. Missed the entire '93-94 season and 65 games of the '94-95 season. Then, he had 2 years off before coming back to the league. Kobe hasn't been through any of those circumstances.

But hey Kobe will play till 50, cause he's the GOAT. :rolleyes:

Chronz
05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Is it 100% certain that MJ was still the games best at 35?

Hawkeye15
05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
he can be a top 2-5 player another 2 years. Then he will slide a bit. But he can still be a 24 ppg player for another 5 years, easily. You see he already chooses points to take over, instead of doing it the whole game. He is smart, and will figure out how to stay active. Plus, he is physically tough. I think he will be a top 10 player, even at 35 years of age.

Hawkeye15
05-25-2009, 05:51 PM

I think he was. But part of that was, MJ at 80% was still better than anyone else.

AirJordan23
05-25-2009, 05:58 PM

Well, yeah. He still showed us that he had that ability to carry the team. With Pippen out, he led the Bulls to a 26-12 record (on pace for 56 wins) and had some great scoring games during that period. He also had a torn ligament in his shooting hand which had an impact on his efficiency. He still played through it and adjusted pretty well. His defensive impact was still there, it was pretty evident in the series against Indiana. He was still clutch as hell and of course the awards show that he was the best player in the league. MVP, All-NBA first, All-Defensive first, Finals MVP, scoring title etc. And I don't think any of these were based off reputation other than maybe All-defensive first. I might've given it Jones and Payton and put Jordan on the second team. If you go by stats only, Shaq had a bigger impact than Jordan but he was injured for about 20 games or so and when you look at the overall impact (leadership, intangibles etc), Jordan trumps him.

jimbobjarree
05-25-2009, 06:08 PM
depends how his body holds up. I can see him doing what Sheed is this summer though when he said he wanted 8 million or he'd retire. You just cant picture Kobe playing without getting his 7 figure salary, and will anyone want to pay that when he's 35+?

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM

yeah lol..when he was 35 he avg'd 30ppg 6rpg and 4.5apg on .480fg%...

and led his team to a 69-13 record...

that would of won mvp this year

AirJordan23
05-25-2009, 06:25 PM
yeah lol..when he was 35 he avg'd 30ppg 6rpg and 4.5apg on .480fg%...

and led his team to a 69-13 record...

that would of won mvp this year

False. That's his '96-97 year where he didn't win MVP. He averaged 28.7PPG/5.8 RPG/3.5 APG in '98.

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 06:32 PM
False. That's his '96-97 year where he didn't win MVP. He averaged 28.7PPG/5.8 RPG/3.5 APG in '98.

no i'm actually right...he asked for the stats the year he was 35 and that was the 96-97 season...

if you don't believe me look here...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1997.html

Missing56&33
05-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Let me start by saying that Kobe is starting to show signs of slowing down right now. Kobe is complaining more, hes grimacing more and hes not taking over games like he used to do. If he gets another star to play along side him....maybe two he could go for another 6years at a high level. If he dont I say three more years and he will struggle many nights and get injured more and more.

AIverson
05-25-2009, 07:00 PM
3 more seasons.

Kobe is already past his prime. He's a completely different player now. Just imagine 03 Kobe is the league right now... I don't even want to think about it. That Kobe was a freakin beast.

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 07:09 PM
3 more seasons.

Kobe is already past his prime. He's a completely different player now. Just imagine 03 Kobe is the league right now... I don't even want to think about it. That Kobe was a freakin beast.

kobe is an overall better player right now than he was in 03....he's a better team player, he's scoring with more efficiency...and most importantly he's learned how to lead a team without wanting all the glory for himself

Missing56&33
05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
kobe is an overall better player right now than he was in 03....he's a better team player, he's scoring with more efficiency...and most importantly he's learned how to lead a team without wanting all the glory for himself

funny i dont see it that way, i see Shane Battier and JR smith, Ron Artest frustrating the hell out of Kobe and roughing him up a little. Kobe use to have his way with anybody

Hawkeye15
05-25-2009, 07:19 PM

his skill have gotten elite, but his athletic ability, and stamina to dominate 48 minutes have gone down. Its natural. That's why I think he has the tools to be a top 2-3 player for another year or two, then he will very slowly slide down as younger players pass him. He is not as good as MJ was, he won't be able to totally dominate at 35. He started too young, and will have too many games in his knees, etc at that age.

lakers4sho
05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Let me start by saying that Kobe is starting to show signs of slowing down right now. Kobe is complaining more, hes grimacing more and hes not taking over games like he used to do. If he gets another star to play along side him....maybe two he could go for another 6years at a high level. If he dont I say three more years and he will struggle many nights and get injured more and more.

Have you watched the '09 playoffs at all buddy?

Brooke
05-25-2009, 07:35 PM
hes not taking over games like he used to do.

Umm he has done that during the playoffs....

Frezhnitz
05-25-2009, 07:41 PM

someones hating.

AIverson
05-25-2009, 07:42 PM

Are you kidding me? Kobe's basketball ability back then is far greater than it is now. The Kobe now is just a pull up jump shooter with some of his leftover skills from his early days.

But the Kobe back then? Where do I begin...

He was A LOT quicker off the dribble and got into the lane at will. Because of this, teams were forced to clog the lane and it got team mates easy looks, not unlike what Lebron does for his team. Additionally, he had much more leaping ability. Thus, he could finish around the rim easily and pick up much more fouls. Kobe would really get teams bigs into a lot of foul trouble and get teams into the penalty.

His defense was much better back then with the added athletic ability. He was quicker to passing lanes and moved his feet a lot quicker back then. He'd also come up some really good blocks.

He just... was better around that time than he is now. Every starts to slow down, and anyone who's watched Kobe his entire career can see it. Those legs have played a lot of basketball.

Frezhnitz
05-25-2009, 07:43 PM

no hes not.

Vinny642
05-25-2009, 07:48 PM
playing great- 2 more years then 3 yrs of good but declining then he is done.

Missing56&33
05-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Umm he has done that during the playoffs....

Houston took the Lakers 7 without Yao and Tmac...with players like SB, KL and AB. Lucky they won that series

lakers4sho
05-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Houston took the Lakers 7 without Yao and Tmac...with players like SB, KL and AB. Lucky they won that series

matchups, it's all about matchups

especially when you have two great defenders on your team. LeBron was shut down by both guys, Kobe torched them for 40.

skinsfan4life80
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
not till he is the NBA alltime leading scorer

AirJordan23
05-25-2009, 08:19 PM
no i'm actually right...he asked for the stats the year he was 35 and that was the 96-97 season...

if you don't believe me look here...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1997.html

Uhh.....Jordan was born on Feb 17, 1963 which means he turned 35 in '98. It's impossible for him to be 35 in the '96-97 season. The link you posted says he was 33 in '96-97.

blackcat45
05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Phil Jackson has said he is the hardest worker he has seen.... A focused JR Smith first off is an oxymoron, and when Kobe plays man up D, not many are better.

oh really I guess you didn't see how he played last night. It's not an oxymoron and sure he got called for a technical foul but he remained in the game and did not let his fiery emotions get the best of him. Phil Jackson can't walk and looks high half the time so he lost all credibility when he went to coach Los Angeles in my book. Kobe plays man up D hahha I'd take Dwyane Wade or LeBron James in a heartbeat. Also Ron Artest is just soft then I guess right?

Typical Laker fan but don't worry he will get his 100 free throws at home to try and help Los Angeles get the win for Game 5. :clap: