PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: "Cavs match up much, much better against the Cs"

Boston Faithful
05-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Ahmed (Boston): Seeing the way the Cavs and Magic are playing, would I be out of line to think "what if we had KG and Leon" scenarios? I mean, seriously, this was the Cavs team that was supposed to sweep us? Puh-lease Mr. Hollinger! Me suddenly likey our chances next year with a healthy Celtics!

John Hollinger: No, the difference is in the match-ups. Cleveland is a much better team than Orlando, but they don't match up well against them at all. Cavs match up much, much better against the Cs because they don't have a Lewis to screw up their D.

Is he ********? Seriously -- that makes absolutely zero sense. So, the Cavs are better than the Magic - yet they don't match up well, which is why the series is so close?? He's just trying to make up for a stupid statement.

I personally think the Magic and Celtics (healthy) blow Cleveland away because they have far more options beyond one player.

Duncan = Donkey
05-24-2009, 05:21 AM
ok

Mckphins
05-24-2009, 05:34 AM
^ same. Why you making up new threads just to state useless opinions? Close thread

lakerboy
05-24-2009, 05:52 AM
The Cavs have problems defending the center position. Dwight Howard is the worst match up nightmare for them

NoSense
05-24-2009, 07:32 AM
As much as I would like to see a ORL/DEN matchup this year, seems like the Kobe/LeBron show will be featured on ABC...No biggie, this ain't a bad matchup either :)...

And yes, to the OP, dude you have to chill...

Rattlehead2006
05-24-2009, 08:36 AM
He's right, besides people make threads for stupid opinions all the time. So I don't see the problem with this thread. Stupid comment by Hollinger, and stupid remarks by you guys trying to put down Boston Faithful's opinion. Don't comment if its a stupid thread.

jetsfan28
05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
That makes perfect sense, so I have no idea what you're complaining about

CraigtheSoxFan
05-24-2009, 09:38 AM
leave the kid alone guys its just his opion. plus he's right hollinger is product of espn which is boston bias.

BIGpoppaRose33
05-24-2009, 09:39 AM
That does make complete sense.. idk what you don't understand about it

ink
05-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I think Hollinger makes a good point. Cleveland is a better team talent-wise, but they don't match up well against Orlando, and those matchups could take them out. It seems like the Cavs were build to get past Boston, and now that they're not in it anymore, the Cavs are having problems with the unexpected.

Kakaroach
05-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Dwight is too fast and too strong for Big Z and Varejao. Rashard Lewis and Hedo can only be guarded by LeBron cuz they can post-up, shoot, take you off-the-dribble, and their too tall. This is what the TNT analysts have been saying all series long.

D-Leethal
05-24-2009, 12:09 PM
If you don't understand why that makes sense you don't know much about basketball

DerekRE_3
05-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Is he ********? Seriously -- that makes absolutely zero sense. So, the Cavs are better than the Magic - yet they don't match up well, which is why the series is so close?? He's just trying to make up for a stupid statement.

I personally think the Magic and Celtics (healthy) blow Cleveland away because they have far more options beyond one player.

Matchups matter a ton. For example, in the regular season, the Charlotte Bobcats match up great against the Lakers. They have beaten the Lakers 6 of the last 7 times they have played. Obviously the Lakers are a lot better, but the Bobcats are a tough matchup for them for some reason.

JDizzle
05-24-2009, 02:14 PM
this is true cavs will lose the series

Blah Blah Blah
05-24-2009, 03:57 PM
No way in hell the CAVS are gonna win this series. Will be down 3-1 goin back to CLE. Too many shooters for ORL and a big-time big man in dwight howard down low. Also prolly has a better bench than CLE as well. I stopped takin wut these "experts" have been saying seriously a while back. Also I don't see how CLE is a better team than ORL. One player doesn't make you a better team when the rest of his supporing cast is nothing to brag about. This is not the same matchup comparison as the Lakers and Bobcats. The quality of the Bobcats is no where near ORL, so that comparison can't be made because the discrepency is not that great.

Hellcrooner
05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
cavs have problems deffending capable centers.

But IF they get rid of orlando they wont have anything to worry, since Kobe wont accept to give the ball to Drew or Pau, he has to be the star...

Don Starks
05-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I think Hollinger makes a good point. Cleveland is a better team talent-wise, but they don't match up well against Orlando, and those matchups could take them out. It seems like the Cavs were build to get past Boston, and now that they're not in it anymore, the Cavs are having problems with the unexpected.

i have to disagree here. i think the cavs play better together as a team, but the individual players on the cavs (excluding lebron) are not more talented then the magic. the cavs are a team of role players that rely on lebron. the magic consists of players that can make their own shot, and when all else fails, give it to howard. if we had a way to measure talent, the magic would no doubt surpass the cavs. thats why the cavs are having such a hard time with orlando, they realize that lebron cant win the game on his own, and by letting him drop 50 but at the same time stop his role players, the cavs are a lot less powerful. all these teams get caught up in trying to stop lebron, the magic are the first to take away his supporting cast, therefore making him less effective.

magichatnumber9
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I am glad Orlando is playing the Cavs. They would of killed my Celtics in 4-5 games and it would be like Saturday night fever on the Cavs bench.

superkegger
05-24-2009, 10:48 PM
The NBA is a game of matchups. Not only of personnel, but also style of play.

the Magic have a dominant athletic big man in Howard that the Cavs frontcourt just can't stay with. Howard is too big for Varejao, too quick for Z, and Ben is just too old.

Couple that with the fact that Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu are interchangeable at the 3 and 4, and one of the two will have a quickness and playmaking advantage when LeBron isn't guarding them, it makes it very hard for even a good defensive team in Cleveland to matchup with it.

Now, if you look at their matchup vs. the Celtics, the Celtics frontcourt, even with KG, isn't going to out athletic you that much. Perk and KG are good athletes, but Z can play with Perk, and Varejao, while still out matched with KG, doesn't struggle with him like he does with Lewis, because KG ain't launching 3's. Consider the fact that its now Glen Davis, and the matchups with the bigs are now much more even. And while I feel the backcourt of the Celtics with Rondo and Allen is better than the Cavs of West and Williams, it's not a huge advantage, and they're aren't mismatches for any player.

The Cavs matchup better with the Celtics in style of play, how they want to play the game, and their personnel. With Orlando, the Magic have one huge mismatch with Lewis at PF, and another decent mismatch with Dwight vs. whoever.

GREATNESS ONE
05-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I also said Orlando matched up perfect with Cleveland.

KB24PG16
05-24-2009, 11:42 PM
very true be afraid cavs fans

Corey
05-25-2009, 12:58 AM
I don't know if I'd necessarily call Cleveland a better team than the Magic, anyways. They just have the best (or second best, depending on who you are) player in the game, which gives them all the hype.

If you look at the matchups of both healthy teams, the Magic win every positional matchup that doesn't involve LeBron James.

Howard > Ilgauskus
Lewis > Varejao
Hedo < Lebron
Lee > West
Nelson > Mo Williams (however, Williams is better than Alston, but then again...Williams has the easiest PG gig in the NBA)

Either way, they actually match up pretty good talent wise, with the edge maybe favoring the Magic.

Hedo, Alston, Lewis, and Lee are all competent 3pt shooters, and Dwight is the best defensive big man and rebounder in the game. Though his post game isn't refined, he's still a presence, and you have to constantly double him if he gets to the low post.

Hellcrooner
05-25-2009, 01:10 AM
hey 2-1 and they shoudl be 3-0 with lebrons engine expelling fire direction NY.

Maybe this writers know someting about basket?

kblo247
05-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Translation = Lebron is making my PER stat look like the piece if **** it truly is

superkegger
05-25-2009, 02:08 AM
hey 2-1 and they shoudl be 3-0 with lebrons engine expelling fire direction NY.

Maybe this writers know someting about basket?

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here. All I got was its 2-1 and could easily be 3-1.

The rest, idk. I guess LeBron has an engine, that spits fire, and has some kind of compass that always spits that fire towards NY.

I don't know who "this" refers to, or what they know about baskets, but it somehow doesn't seem relevant.

AllTheWay
05-25-2009, 02:18 AM
I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here. All I got was its 2-1 and could easily be 3-1.

The rest, idk. I guess LeBron has an engine, that spits fire, and has some kind of compass that always spits that fire towards NY.

I don't know who "this" refers to, or what they know about baskets, but it somehow doesn't seem relevant.

I LOLed