PDA

View Full Version : Stan Van Gundy gave away game 2

MJL
05-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Only one second left, Magic up by two, Cavs ball. Stan Van Gundy should ignore the passer and double team Lebron. Because there is no time for the inbound passer to receive the ball back and shot. The one who caught the ball must shoot, no time for second pass, so you are basically playing 5 on 4. You double Lebron and that is a no brainer. Why Magic didn't play 5 on 4 and double Lebron was out of my imagination.
Stan Van Gundy gave away game two...:speechless::mad::confused::cry:

azkarraga
05-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure t's a defenders fault or an attackers virtue. I guess both, but rather think the latter

NYstateofMinD
05-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Hedo played superb defense on LeBron. The initial play was for him to get an alley, but Hedo did not go for the fake. He then followed him to the three point line and put 2 hands up and contested it the best he could have. LeBron is just LeBron, he's a living legend. Like they always say, a good offense beats a good defense.

MAC10TIZZY
05-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Only one second left, Magic up by two, Cavs ball. Stan Van Gundy should ignore the passer and double team Lebron. Because there is no time for the inbound passer to receive the ball back and shot. The one who caught the ball must shoot, no time for second pass, so you are basically playing 5 on 4. You double Lebron and that is a no brainer. Why Magic didn't play 5 on 4 and double Lebron was out of my imagination.
Stan Van Gundy gave away game two...:speechless::mad::confused::cry:

dont be dumb!!!!!!!!!

Sly Guy
05-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Hedu guarded LeBron about as well as he could have, not wanting to commit a foul. I'd say it was just a great shot.

jimbobjarree
05-23-2009, 09:57 AM
hes blamed himself, but I think thats harsh. Hedo did a great job, and there was another guy close by, Lebron was just too good.

MavsEUROPE
05-23-2009, 10:03 AM
The ones you should blame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPaztyf6eA

Stern and his boys continue their journey :clap:

"If Dwight had done that to Mo he would've been thrown out and suspended for game 3. Ridiculous"

DrDEADalready
05-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Wow very good point I never thought about it. Stupid error on the Coach then not to think about it. I think all in all. it was mostly luck to go in. cause that was pretty contested by Hedo.

Hustla23
05-23-2009, 11:13 AM
He's completely right. They should have ignored the passer.

Reshard Lewis came over too late when Lebron got the ball.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2009, 11:19 AM
THat was well defended. There is nothing you can do when a guy makes a tough catch out top, and fades back, and happens to be 6'8" with a 40 inch vert. I guess foul him before he catches it, and make him tie it at the line was about the only other option.

tdunk21
05-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Stan Van Gundy gave away game
two...:speechless::mad::confused::cry:

yeah right:rolleyes::rolleyes:

IndyRealist
05-23-2009, 11:46 AM
It was well defended by Hedo, yes, but Lebron should have been double teamed the entire time, or triple teamed, one defender on Mo Williams and Dwight staying on big Z. If anyone one else on that team beats you, you can live with that. The double came far too late to even bother the shot. Not playing at least a double on Lebron was idiotic. SVG gave the game away.

cwilson21
05-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Van Gundy gave away Game 2? Weren't the Magic down 23 at one point? This thread is ****ing ********. James made a shot that he might make once out of every 10 shots esp considering the D Hedo played on him. If anything Van Gundy almost stole Game 2.

Punkindrublic03
05-23-2009, 11:49 AM
one second is enough time for an inbound pass, a tip pass back to the inbounder, and a quick shot. You want to leave Mo Williams open for 3 with the game on the line? You can't blame SVG for this loss. Lebron hit a great shot... nothing the Magic could have done to defend that any better. Hedo played good D. Lebron made a play. Game three coming up.

sdweston757
05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
this is just plain wrong. you put a person on the ball to contest the pass, it isnt van gundys fault that lewis backed up to far to put any pressure on the inbounder. look at the lakers game 1 when ariza stole the inbounds pass because the inbounder (i think it was johnson) couldnt see where he was inbounding the ball.

IndyRealist
05-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Again, Hedo did a good job, but the scheme was flawed. Lewis should have been on Lebron as well, he should have been doubled the moment he stepped on the floor. Mo should have had a defender on him, and Dwight should have stayed with Zydrunas. Make the role players beat you.

Kakaroach
05-23-2009, 12:00 PM
It was well defended by Hedo, but what was Rashard Lewis doing? He was standing in no man's land. Lewis should have either been on Williams making the pass very difficult or double-teaming James. Mistake on SVG's part but still an incredible shot by the King.

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah it was a coaching error; It's just a mistake.

You're all saying that the shot was well defended, and that's right. But the mistake was allowing James as an option for the inbound pass. That's easy to take away with a double team and they failed to do it. That's on the coach.

There's a coach out west who didn't make the same mistake game 2 of his conference finals.

rapsfan11
05-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I guess it was George Karl's fault that they didn't have a better inbounds play in Game 1, so that's why Denver lost..

Also it was probably Kobe's fault when he allowed Nene to get a jump ball in a crucial possession. so kobe lost the game for them.

And it must have been Mike Brown's fault to allow Rashard lewis a three in game 1, so mike brown gave that game away

It's not SVG's fault, it was a tough shot, if it missed, ppl would be praising Hedo's defense... that's like sayin it was all those other coaches faults who played against Jordan when he hit all those buzzer beaters, he should have never caught the ball, but somehow he always found a way to get it..

Credit lebron, magic were down big, and made a comeback, in two games, so i guess van gundy doesn't understand that, and decided to not coach in the last second

theimortalone
05-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Coach Stan Van Gundy has blamed himself for Orlando's 96-95 loss to Cleveland in Friday night's Game 2.

The Magic led 95-93 with one second remaining, but LeBron James hit a three-pointer as time expired to tie the Eastern Conference Finals at one game apiece.

"I'd like to have that last one back from a coaching standpoint," Van Gundy said. "I should have defended it differently. It's crushing enough to lose as a coach, but when you feel like you're the guy who could've made the difference, it hurts a lot more."

Van Gundy wouldn't reveal what he would have done differently, but he did have his team ready to defend a lob pass on the play.

"Stan was in our huddle," Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said. "That's exactly right. We were going for the lob, Hedo [Turkoglu] took it away, so LeBron said, 'I'm going to win it.' "

Source: real gm [http://real gm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59336/20090523/van_gundy_takes_blame_for_loss/]

magicbucs4eva
05-23-2009, 12:20 PM
no ones fault. lebron made a great shot!!

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Lebron's shot was great, of course it was.

No one is saying it's Stan Van Gundy's fault Hedo didn't block the shot.

But it is his fault for playing a defense where the only scorer on the floor wasn't guarded with a double team for the inbounds.

If Big Z makes that shot, great. If West or Wally do it, great. But from a coaching standpoint, letting James catch a pass with 1 second left was stupid.

But oh well, it's onto Game 3 and that might have just been growing pains for Stan Van Gundy.

MJL
05-23-2009, 12:47 PM
If Magic ignor the passer, double team Lebron from start and denied him the ball, things will be different. One second does't allow second pass back to the inbound passer and then shoot, ignor the passer, denied the ball to Lebron is the right call.

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Exactly.

Blah Blah Blah
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Pressure on the inbounder causes the bad inbound passes. Also the person who is inbounding has to both find the open person as well as get it in within 5 seconds cuz I don't believe CLE had any more timeouts remaining. It was just an unbelievable shot by the MVP. Nothing more you could have done about that other than being a lil bit closer to the inbounder. Still believe ORL has this series.

MagicDojo
05-23-2009, 01:06 PM
The first blatent failure by the refs was the non tech after Dwight had the ball thrown at him out of bounds. It doesnt matter who you root for you know that was a definate ref error that is ALWAYS a tech in the NBA.. I hope the NBA gets replay and challenges ala NFL.
Then the barrage of calls aginst the Magic that were clearly wrong when you see the replays. Lee's offenseive foul while in the air...? Horrible cal ref. take away 3 points.
Tell me VArajao had his position set on the Turk offensive foul..you cant! Because he was running. Horrible call. 2 more
However Gortat was in perfect position when he got called for blocking the 2nd time (the first one was a good call) and 2 more.
And flopping ***** *** Wallace and Varajao.
That Wallace call was rediculous....Dwight moved his arm in a 12 inch circle and Wallace flings himself to the floor like a little girl and gets the call. Really??? some one is that much stronger than you that they can move one arm and it crumples your ladyness to the floor. You should be ashamed Wallace....you used to be a bad *** but now you flop like Varajao...its a ***** getting old I know. I really thought the Cavs were bad *** till now. Under closer examination they are punks and prima donnas. Magic in 6 in Cleveland.
NBA NEEDS INSTANT REPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lebron is leaving you anyway soon to go to NY. Everybody knows this. It was reported this morning by a local NY reporter that Lebron had a clandestine private meeting with senior Knicks management AFTER the Detroit series. Cleveland. AKA The mistake by the lake....ha ha ....Charles Barkley you so damn funny.

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 01:12 PM
The first blatent failure by the refs was the non tech after Dwight had the ball thrown at him out of bounds. It doesnt matter who you root for you know that was a definate ref error that is ALWAYS a tech in the NBA.. I hope the NBA gets replay and challenges ala NFL.
Then the barrage of calls aginst the Magic that were clearly wrong when you see the replays. Lee's offenseive foul while in the air...? Horrible cal ref. take away 3 points.
Tell me VArajao had his position set on the Turk offensive foul..you cant! Because he was running. Horrible call. 2 more
However Gortat was in perfect position when he got called for blocking the 2nd time (the first one was a good call) and 2 more.
And flopping ***** *** Wallace and Varajao.
That Wallace call was rediculous....Dwight moved his arm in a 12 inch circle and Wallace flings himself to the floor like a little girl and gets the call. Really??? some one is that much stronger than you that they can move one arm and it crumples your ladyness to the floor. You should be ashamed Wallace....you used to be a bad *** but now you flop like Varajao...its a ***** getting old I know. I really thought the Cavs were bad *** till now. Under closer examination they are punks and prima donnas. Magic in 6 in Cleveland.
NBA NEEDS INSTANT REPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lebron is leaving you anyway soon to go to NY. Everybody knows this. It was reported this morning by a local NY reporter that Lebron had a clandestine private meeting with senior Knicks management AFTER the Detroit series. Cleveland. AKA The mistake by the lake....ha ha ....Charles Barkley you so damn funny.

You in the wrong thread. Official ref-whining is a different thread.

tr3ymill3r
05-23-2009, 01:39 PM
The Cavs stole this game after giving it away. The series should be 2-0 Cavs and the Magic shouldn't even be close in the series, but in both games they gave up leads and let Orlando gain HCA. LeBrons shot will swing a little momentum but not enough to where they won't give up another 15+ point lead, the Magic have the Cavs number, because even after the shot Van Gundys face was that of, oh well. He knows he's got this in the bag, and as long as he doesn't prove Shaq right they'll win the next 3 and go to the finals.

IndyRealist
05-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I guess it was George Karl's fault that they didn't have a better inbounds play in Game 1, so that's why Denver lost..

Also it was probably Kobe's fault when he allowed Nene to get a jump ball in a crucial possession. so kobe lost the game for them.

And it must have been Mike Brown's fault to allow Rashard lewis a three in game 1, so mike brown gave that game away

It's not SVG's fault, it was a tough shot, if it missed, ppl would be praising Hedo's defense... that's like sayin it was all those other coaches faults who played against Jordan when he hit all those buzzer beaters, he should have never caught the ball, but somehow he always found a way to get it..

Credit lebron, magic were down big, and made a comeback, in two games, so i guess van gundy doesn't understand that, and decided to not coach in the last second

Read the thread, -everyone- is praising Hedo's defense. He did nothing wrong. No player did, it was the coach who chose not to double Lebron and have four players standing on the perimeter guarding non-scoring threats. If Zydrunas hit a 3 to beat you, you chalk that up to dumb luck. You don't let Lebron catch the ball. Basketball is a team game, with strategies and defensive schemes and coaching. It was a coaching error, SVG even said so.

IndyRealist
05-23-2009, 01:44 PM
The Cavs stole this game after giving it away. The series should be 2-0 Cavs and the Magic shouldn't even be close in the series, but in both games they gave up leads and let Orlando gain HCA. LeBrons shot will swing a little momentum but not enough to where they won't give up another 15+ point lead, the Magic have the Cavs number, because even after the shot Van Gundys face was that of, oh well. He knows he's got this in the bag, and as long as he doesn't prove Shaq right they'll win the next 3 and go to the finals.

I don't think they gave it away, I think the Cavs are a lot weaker than people thought. They don't have the presence down low to contend with an All-star big man, their defense is being run all over the place by the army of 3pt shooters the Magic have, and if they had a healthy Jameer Nelson these games wouldn't be close. I didn't think so previously, but it looks like this Magic team is custom built to beat the Cavs (and Spurs, and any other defense first team).

KB24PG16
05-23-2009, 03:58 PM
he didnt give up the game lebron just hit the shot

J-Relo
05-23-2009, 04:21 PM
i could get another 100 reasons why Magic lost (not gonna do that, but could)...

MJL
05-23-2009, 09:29 PM
How u defend the last inbound play all depend on how much time left and whether u are up or down by how many points. If a few second left or you are down you need to pressure and defend the passer, because the inbound passer could receive the ball back and become the shooter,
Last night's game Magic was up by two, and most importantly it is only one second left, the inbound passer don't have time to get the ball back and shoot, the one who received the inbound must shoot. Everyone knows the ball is going to Lebron, so the most logical defense is don't guard the inbound passer, double Lebron from start and denied the ball. It's much easy to use double team to denied the inbound pass to Lebron than double Lebron after he caught the inbound cleanly.
The three keys for this defense play are...
1, Magic up by two.
2. Only one second left.
3. Cavs has a player called Lebron James, just like Lakers has a player called Kobe.
I hope some sports media ask SVG what would be the defense play if he could do it again. I believe this will be the defense play!