PDA

View Full Version : You know what's funny?

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 03:28 AM
I grew up watching the original big 3 Bird, McHale, Parish. The other big 3 Johnson, Kareem and Worthy and the other big 3 Jordan, Pippen and Grant. Basketball today has gone completely downhill. Any drive to the lane, any bump, anything is considered a foul. What happened to the game. THE GAME!!! The NBA used to be something that was considered sacred. The elite. Today it's considered a joke. 20 years ago if Kobe or Lebron or D-Wade drove to the basket they would've been destroyed. No fights, no Technicals, just a hard foul and respect. What happened to this game??? David Stern? The Tim Donaghy incident where no ref wants to call a foul now unless it's on Kobe or Lebron or D-Wade. This thread is for the REAL fans. The fans where Patrick Ewing or Anthony Mason would not let Michael drive. The fans where jarring would not end in a technical foul. Where games ended 65-60 because there was ACTUAL defense being played. Just some of my thoughts!!! Who's with me???

T-Wolf
05-23-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm totally with you! But I know what happened - MONEY!!!

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 03:41 AM
^^^^
Thank you and agreed! It's a sad state of affairs.

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 03:49 AM
Exactly, the disparity between street basketball and professional basketball has become a chasm. And that's a shame.

I'm sick of this Lebron James $100M PR show, real basketball died in the 90s.

theuuord
05-23-2009, 03:54 AM
lol @ imagined nostalgia

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Exactly, the disparity between street basketball and professional basketball has become a chasm. And that's a shame.

AMEN Brother!

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 04:00 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/lebron_james_pleased_to_hear_n.html

Lebron23
05-23-2009, 04:01 AM
I really hated teams with loaded NBA All Stars, but couldn't win an NBA Championship Ring. And the Early 1990's was a great decade for basketball, but the mid 1990's sucks because It's already the declined of some great teams in the Eastern Conference.

championships
05-23-2009, 04:03 AM
I was just listening to Kareem on ESPN radio about 20 minutes ago and he said the same thing. He is disapointed on how the game is officiated now these days. They're officiating for the offense and you get punished for trying to play D. You almost have to get out of the way when somebody drives to the lane. What happened to Knocking their *** into the second row so next time they will think about it first. How fast they call a Tech is pathetic. The women get away with more in the WNBA.

championships
05-23-2009, 04:08 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/lebron_james_pleased_to_hear_n.html

That's funny, I am sure he is. So now the NBA is going to let the offense walk with the ball now. (Not that they already do that)

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 04:09 AM
I was just listening to Kareem on ESPN radio about 20 minutes ago and he said the same thing. He is disapointed on how the game is officiated now these days. They're officiating for the offence and you get punished for trying to play D. You almost have to get out of the way when somebody drives to the lane. What happened to Knocking their *** into the second row so next time they will think about it first. How fast they call a Tech is pathetic. The women get away with more in the WNBA.

:clap:

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 04:11 AM

And who travels more than Lebron??? Guess he won't be putting up anymore 40 pt. games.

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 04:14 AM
And who travels more than Lebron??? Guess he won't be putting up anymore 40 pt. games.

No, the proposed rule change is to allow for more travelling, not less. I mean "crab dribble move."

theuuord
05-23-2009, 04:14 AM
this is the most original post ever.

"OMG THINGS WERE SO MUCH BETTER BACK THEN!!!!!!1!!!1!!1!1"

And in 20 years they'll say the same thing about today's game.

and so on and so forth.
blah blah blah.

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 04:16 AM
No, the proposed rule change is to allow for more travelling, not less. I mean "crab dribble move."

One,two,three,four... Who cares? That's why the NBA is becoming a joke. Pretty soon you'll be seeing coast to coasts w/o dribbling the ball.

Lebron23
05-23-2009, 04:17 AM

and so on and so forth.
blah blah blah.

:clap::clap::clap:

championships
05-23-2009, 04:19 AM

and so on and so forth.
blah blah blah.

Guys just miss the game when it was a mans sport. Not this pansy, foul cause you sneezed, game.

Lebron23
05-23-2009, 04:23 AM
The NBA implemented the Hand Check Fouls because they wanted to increase the scoring in the NBA.

Scoring in the 1990's went down when 90% of the NBA Teams implemented the Traditional half-court offense, and they abandoned the Run and Gun Offense.

The Scoring in the 1980's were inflated because they played on a faster pace, and only 3 teams played rough and tough defense.

1. 1980's Milwaukee Bucks
2. 1980's Boston Celtics
3. Badboy Pistons

The Showtime Lakers and the Denver Nuggets were a great offensive team, and they defeated their opponents by outscoring them.

LeBron, Kobe, and Wade already averaged great numbers before they change the rule.

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 04:24 AM
The NBA implemented the Hand Check Fouls because they wanted to increase the scoring in the NBA.

LeBron, Kobe, and Wade already averaged great numbers before they change the rule.

Why change the game. Why can't the NBA let the game be itself???

theuuord
05-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Guys just miss the game when it was a mans sport. Not this pansy, foul cause you sneezed, game.

lol @ the past, with Jerry West short shorts and entirely midrange games being a "man's game."

lol @ a "man's game" being one where no one knew how to score efficiently.

lol @ a "man's game" where people relied more on blatant violent acts than intelligence.

stop pretending that the past was so much better than today when the opposite is true.

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 04:27 AM
lol @ the past, with Jerry West short shorts and entirely midrange games being a "man's game."

lol @ a "man's game" where people relied more on blatant violent acts than intelligence.

stop pretending that the past was so much better than today when the opposite is true.

I weep for the future :cry:

Lebron23
05-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Why change the game. Why can't the NBA let the game be itself???

Because the NBA Wanted to create another Michael Jordan. Jordan was a great player during his prime, but he also had some special treatments in the 1990's.

And Back in the 1990's Wilt Chamberlain also criticized the league because the NBA was turning their Superstars into a Global Icons, and the game became an Entertainment.

"They are trying to sell today's game, not the game from the 1960's, 70's or 80's."

-Wilt Chamberlain on the NBA at 50 celebration in 1996

Michael Jordan shoved Bryant Russell in the NBA Finals, but the referees never called an Offensive Foul on Jordan because he's the biggest star in the NBA.

championships
05-23-2009, 04:42 AM

I get it, Your the type of a guy that crys foul after every shot you take, That is if you ever stepped onto the blacktop or the court. Those guys annoy me, call foul or and one after they go in for a layup,EVERY TIME.

ElMarroAfamado
05-23-2009, 05:01 AM
I grew up watching the original big 3 Bird, McHale, Parish. The other big 3 Johnson, Kareem and Worthy and the other big 3 Jordan, Pippen and Grant. Basketball today has gone completely downhill. Any drive to the lane, any bump, anything is considered a foul. What happened to the game. THE GAME!!! The NBA used to be something that was considered sacred. The elite. Today it's considered a joke. 20 years ago if Kobe or Lebron or D-Wade drove to the basket they would've been destroyed. No fights, no Technicals, just a hard foul and respect. What happened to this game??? Daniel Stern? The Tim Donaghy incident where no ref wants to call a foul now unless it's on Kobe or Lebron or D-Wade. This thread is for the REAL fans. The fans where Patrick Ewing or Anthony Mason would not let Michael drive. The fans where jarring would not end in a technical foul. Where games ended 65-60 because there was ACTUAL defense being played. Just some of my thoughts!!! Who's with me???

it gets particularly annoying when players like lebron james refuse to do anything besides try to drive and dunk
but they do it knowing refs will bail them out 98% of the time

AIsixersFK
05-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Haha in 10 years they'll be allowed to walk from basket to basket and not even have to worry about traveling. But I agree. If the NBA was officiated like college basketball is and if they played with the samme intensity it would be a much better game.

ElMarroAfamado
05-23-2009, 05:04 AM

tdunk21
05-23-2009, 10:55 AM
favoritism.....

Blah Blah Blah
05-23-2009, 12:33 PM

LOL. Prolly D-Wade. Anyone notice Wade's infamous "spin" move he makes in the lane. No pivot foot AT ALL!!

:clap::clap:

Jahari Kavi
05-23-2009, 12:37 PM
this is a lame thread.......superstar calls have always been around....I swear I hate hearing people complain about how another superstar wouldn't last in another era....it sounds like they're stuck in 1892.........Bird got away with things (a reason why my dad still hates him to this day), Michael got away with things, etc......if it bothers you that much then go watch figure skating.

Jahari Kavi
05-23-2009, 12:54 PM
sorry if I sounded a lil pissed in my previous post, but as a person who's watched basketball religiously, I can honestly say that I don't think there is "that" much of a difference between how games are called now compared to other time periods. Yes you can't technically hand check anymore, but guys could still be called for fouls for using their hands back in the day (I saw it happen plenty of times). If Jordan got to the lane it was pretty much FTs every time. Yes the Pistons and Knicks defenses were tough, but it wasn't like they were throwing fists at Jordan every time down court. Guys still drive the lane hard and get fouled hard. For as much hate as Wade gets, the guy takes some of the hardest falls that I've seen in NBA history. Iverson would always sacrafice his body. Lebron is huge, but I see him take shots also. Some people over exagerrate the past as if the game is totally different now and that is just not the case.

theuuord
05-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I get it, Your the type of a guy that crys foul after every shot you take, That is if you ever stepped onto the blacktop or the court. Those guys annoy me, call foul or and one after they go in for a layup,EVERY TIME.

in street ball, no blood no foul, sucka.

the rules are different in professional basketball. you know that.

sphinxvc
05-23-2009, 01:26 PM
sorry if I sounded a lil pissed in my previous post, but as a person who's watched basketball religiously, I can honestly say that I don't think there is "that" much of a difference between how games are called now compared to other time periods. Yes you can't technically hand check anymore, but guys could still be called for fouls for using their hands back in the day (I saw it happen plenty of times). If Jordan got to the lane it was pretty much FTs every time. Yes the Pistons and Knicks defenses were tough, but it wasn't like they were throwing fists at Jordan every time down court. Guys still drive the lane hard and get fouled hard. For as much hate as Wade gets, the guy takes some of the hardest falls that I've seen in NBA history. Iverson would always sacrafice his body. Lebron is huge, but I see him take shots also. Some people over exagerrate the past as if the game is totally different now and that is just not the case.

Fact: The NBA changed its defensive rules a few years ago to allow more freedom of movement around the basket.

theuuord
05-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Fact: The NBA changed its defensive rules a few years ago to allow more freedom of movement around the basket.

Fact: teams still scored way more points per game 20 years ago than today.

So much for more defense, huh?

IndyRealist
05-23-2009, 01:30 PM
This topic seems to come up every couple of weeks....

Maybe someone should start a petition for the NBA to reinstitute the "Hard Foul"?

Jahari Kavi
05-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Fact: Superstars have always gotten calls. Superstars have always scored regardless of the rules. This topic makes people sound old and bitter.

theuuord
05-23-2009, 01:34 PM
This topic seems to come up every couple of weeks....

Maybe someone should start a petition for the NBA to reinstitute the "Hard Foul"?

it is the single most predictable and similarly most uninteresting topic thread ever.

and that goes for any sport, or any topic - people like to believe things were better so long ago.
that's what i mean by imagined nostalgia.
god it gets boring.

jskeet23
05-23-2009, 01:47 PM
your right thats why mj the greatest im tired hearing about king jame who has not did notthing yet

iced_earth4
05-23-2009, 06:42 PM
it is the single most predictable and similarly most uninteresting topic thread ever.

and that goes for any sport, or any topic - people like to believe things were better so long ago.
that's what i mean by imagined nostalgia.
god it gets boring.

Nostalgia? I'm not talking about 50 years ago. I'm talking about 10-20 years ago. How could the NBA go so downhill in just a few years.

Eagles_Guy
05-23-2009, 06:52 PM

That is what annoys me the most; almost every drive results in a foul, unless they just clear out.

bostncelts34
05-23-2009, 07:10 PM
I grew up watching the original big 3 Bird, McHale, Parish. The other big 3 Johnson, Kareem and Worthy and the other big 3 Jordan, Pippen and Grant. Basketball today has gone completely downhill. Any drive to the lane, any bump, anything is considered a foul. What happened to the game. THE GAME!!! The NBA used to be something that was considered sacred. The elite. Today it's considered a joke. 20 years ago if Kobe or Lebron or D-Wade drove to the basket they would've been destroyed. No fights, no Technicals, just a hard foul and respect. What happened to this game??? Daniel Stern? The Tim Donaghy incident where no ref wants to call a foul now unless it's on Kobe or Lebron or D-Wade. This thread is for the REAL fans. The fans where Patrick Ewing or Anthony Mason would not let Michael drive. The fans where jarring would not end in a technical foul. Where games ended 65-60 because there was ACTUAL defense being played. Just some of my thoughts!!! Who's with me???

for being a REAL basketball fan, you might want to check your names.

MPScribbles
05-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Nostalgia? I'm not talking about 50 years ago. I'm talking about 10-20 years ago. How could the NBA go so downhill in just a few years.

It didn't. Superstars have been getting superstar treatment since they came into existence. Wilt never fouled out of a game! Does that make the point that no matter how far back you look there was special treatment for stars?
The only main difference now from the period you so loved is that they have put more emphasis on skills, like good positioning on defense, as opposed to holding a guy so he can't blow by you. What has been the result? The highest tv ratings ever for the NBA and record attendances. So yea, you liked it better back then and I know it was great but the game has not fallen off, it's gotten better.

P.S. The refs do suck and they need to have offseason where new refs are brought in to compete like the players. Guys would make better calls if they had more pressure on them. If a disproportionate amount of bad calls are made by a certain ref the league should stop getting his back and can him. It's ridiculous that a ref can absolutely blow a call-e.g. last nights game where Mo Williams threw the ball at Howard with no tech called- and coaches and players can't even call it a bad call in a post game interview without a fine, no matter how correct they are. The part of the NBA game that need be addressed is the officiating, the players are as good as they've ever been- except for the centers. Don't think we'll ever have another era for so many great centers as we had in the 90's.

Kakaroach
05-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I agree the NBA is becoming soft. I think it was Karl Malone who said if he was in his prime today he would be averaging 30 and 13 a game. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

iced_earth4
05-25-2009, 01:00 AM

Nice catch!!! Just got done watching Celtic Pride:)

kingkobe
05-25-2009, 01:16 AM

Hahahaha. Good eyes. Daniel Stern. Thats just too funny.

Hellcrooner
05-25-2009, 01:17 AM
******** calls started with MJ.

The game ended and was killed 1989 with the pistons.

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 01:19 AM

and so on and so forth.
blah blah blah.

whats funnier is someone like yourself that is in denial of the obvious changes...

explain to me how the hand check rule hasn't affected the physicality of the nba

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 01:24 AM

Scoring in the 1990's went down when 90% of the NBA Teams implemented the Traditional half-court offense, and they abandoned the Run and Gun Offense.

The Scoring in the 1980's were inflated because they played on a faster pace, and only 3 teams played rough and tough defense.

1. 1980's Milwaukee Bucks
2. 1980's Boston Celtics
3. Badboy Pistons

The Showtime Lakers and the Denver Nuggets were a great offensive team, and they defeated their opponents by outscoring them.

hand check rule was fully implemented in the 99-00 season...so you are wrong...lebron kobe and wade were not avg'ing big numbers before it

kingkobe
05-25-2009, 01:27 AM
whats funnier is someone like yourself that is in denial of the obvious changes...

explain to me how the hand check rule hasn't affected the physicality of the nba

It has but I think it's to help out the scorer's a bit more. The only reason for that, that I can come up with is this:

The defense on the whole is getting better. The defensive schemes, players as defenders are getting better while the offensive schemes are mainly the same and to allow the game to still be high scoring they had to allow the hand checking rule. Otherwise we'd be watching Spurs vs Pistons 80 point games all season long.

Thoughts?

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Fact: teams still scored way more points per game 20 years ago than today.

So much for more defense, huh?

that could be as much attributed to the fact that players were better at scoring back then...

i'm just saying, you can check the facts on that one...i'm just throwing that out there

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 01:30 AM
It didn't. Superstars have been getting superstar treatment since they came into existence. Wilt never fouled out of a game! Does that make the point that no matter how far back you look there was special treatment for stars?
The only main difference now from the period you so loved is that they have put more emphasis on skills, like good positioning on defense, as opposed to holding a guy so he can't blow by you. What has been the result? The highest tv ratings ever for the NBA and record attendances. So yea, you liked it better back then and I know it was great but the game has not fallen off, it's gotten better.

P.S. The refs do suck and they need to have offseason where new refs are brought in to compete like the players. Guys would make better calls if they had more pressure on them. If a disproportionate amount of bad calls are made by a certain ref the league should stop getting his back and can him. It's ridiculous that a ref can absolutely blow a call-e.g. last nights game where Mo Williams threw the ball at Howard with no tech called- and coaches and players can't even call it a bad call in a post game interview without a fine, no matter how correct they are. The part of the NBA game that need be addressed is the officiating, the players are as good as they've ever been- except for the centers. Don't think we'll ever have another era for so many great centers as we had in the 90's.

how can you objectively determine whether the game has gotten better or not???

i'll call bs on that one

montazingmvp
05-25-2009, 01:34 AM
It has but I think it's to help out the scorer's a bit more. The only reason for that, that I can come up with is this:

The defense on the whole is getting better. The defensive schemes, players as defenders are getting better while the offensive schemes are mainly the same and to allow the game to still be high scoring they had to allow the hand checking rule. Otherwise we'd be watching Spurs vs Pistons 80 point games all season long.

Thoughts?

defensive schemes are getting better, but the schemes that are being implemented are making the league a much more perimeter oriented one...the game is much easier now for shooter than it is for inside players...

its impossible to argue whether individual defenders are any better than they were 10 years ago...that all relies on the individual and there work ethic

MegaFauna
05-25-2009, 01:49 AM

i agree with you for the most part, but some of your argument is inconsistent there

NoSense
05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
IMHO the difference in the game today is that most players don't really know how to behave. I mean when you take a look at the brawls over the past few seasons, it shows exactly why the rules have been tighter. These players can't play tough, they can just act like it, and throw a punch, at best (except for Ron Artest).

Draco
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM

Money starting with Glen Robinson's rookie year contract dispute and the influx of high school and college freshmen rookies and the rule changes in 2004/5.

Hustla23
05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Love this thread.

Dude is completely right.

Being a knicks fan, I got no greater joy than watching the hard nosed defensive play that the knicks instituted back in the 90's.

There was a bad boy mentality and so much heart put into every game, it was amazing.

Now, it's just ****ing boring with the damn foul calls every minute that stops the game.

If I wanted to watch free throws for 48 minutes, I'd just go and shoot some myself.

This is the exact same reason why college basketball appeals to so many more people than the NBA game.

kingkobe
05-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Love this thread.

Dude is completely right.

Being a knicks fan, I got no greater joy than watching the hard nosed defensive play that the knicks instituted back in the 90's.

There was a bad boy mentality and so much heart put into every game, it was amazing.

Now, it's just ****ing boring with the damn foul calls every minute that stops the game.

If I wanted to watch free throws for 48 minutes, I'd just go and shoot some myself.

This is the exact same reason why college basketball appeals to so many more people than the NBA game.

I hate the FT every 2 minutes and then there's a 5-7 minute break for 2min timeouts. WTF is that? The 2 mins should be counted right to the second (almost). The commercialization is sickening.

Hoopsadvocate
05-25-2009, 11:46 AM

Unfair assesment. If anything those players would have survived. They get hit the hardest of any wingplayers in the NBA today and are none for finishing off of hard contact. The ticky tack fouls do suck but the hardones are still hard and those 3 guys push through them its not their fault the refs call what they call for or against them. David Stern did ruin a lot of the good things though but dont blame those 3 guys.

BALLER71
05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Iced Earth, I agree with every syllable you said. I remember one of the Hawks and Heat game where it got to the point where it was boring to watch. On every drive there was a whistle. It was getting annoying.

Missing56&33
05-25-2009, 01:50 PM

just be glad you had the opportunity and privilege to witness the best era in basketball. I sure am

MPScribbles
05-27-2009, 12:19 PM
how can you objectively determine whether the game has gotten better or not???

i'll call bs on that one

K. Call BS. I gave my reasons for my opinion in my post. Players have gotten better and the rules have been modified to keep the scrubs' hands off of the guys that they can't guard. How is that not better? Basketball was never intended to be a game where you push people around to keep them from scoring on you. Defense in basketball is about positioning, instincts, timing and skill. With the no-hand-checking rule they ensured that defense in basketball would be played as it is supposed to be. That is an improvement, therefore better.

what54!?
05-27-2009, 12:40 PM
meh blame stern, the players,tim D., and the palace incident. Stern wants to keep his best players heathly, the players want more and more money, after the tim D. thing came out officials are under fire so they call games different. I really think the palace incident changed the game though. After that is when the rules really changed. Now people get a lot of fouls on little touch calls and flagarant fouls and techs are called left and right.