PDA

View Full Version : Who Is More Important To The Nuggets - Carmelo or Chauncey?

Driven
05-22-2009, 05:39 PM
This was a poll on ESPN today... the results were over 60% or so for Chauncey and under 40% for Carmelo. What do you think?

BkOriginalOne
05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Billups makes them go and is their floor leader.
Melo is the best player on the team though.

Deezy Dee 24
05-22-2009, 05:47 PM
billups is the driver
melos the passenger

Evolution=FACT
05-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Billups.

theuuord
05-22-2009, 05:50 PM
this is a really really really close one.

i can't decide.
without billups, they miss the playoffs.
without melo, they miss the playoffs.

MiamiHeat
05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Billups, he has change the Nuggets so much he made them a title contender

LayZbone
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm going to have to go with Billups.

JordansBulls
05-22-2009, 06:05 PM
This series it will be Melo. They need him to play like a top player in the league to win.

Driven

i can't decide.

Carmelo's never missed the playoffs.

Blah Blah Blah
I say Billups cuz Carmelo couldn't get past first round b4. Now wit Mr. Big Shot he finds himself in the conference finals. Both are essential tho for the team to even make the playoffs and compete tho.

Driven
05-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Billups, he has change the Nuggets so much he made them a title contender
If this was the other way around... with Billups on the team all along and then for the Nuggets to add Carmelo, it would have been the same thing.

I say Billups cuz Carmelo couldn't get past first round b4. Now wit Mr. Big Shot he finds himself in the conference finals.

Again, I don't think the Nuggets would get past the first round without Carmelo.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-22-2009, 06:06 PM

i can't decide.

Really? IDK if you noticed... but, we havent had Billups the last 6 seasons, and Denver's been in the playoffs each season.

So the correction of you comment should be

With Melo, Without Billups... Not Title contendors...

Without Melo, With Billups... Not Title contendors...

Both are playoff teams.

theuuord
05-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Carmelo's never missed the playoffs.

Fair point.
For what it's worth Billups has made 7 straight conference finals now.

theuuord
05-22-2009, 06:09 PM
[/B]

Really? IDK if you noticed... but, we havent had Billups the last 6 seasons, and Denver's been in the playoffs each season.

So the correction of you comment should be

With Melo, Without Billups... Not Title contendors...

Without Melo, With Billups... Not Title contendors...

Both are playoff teams.

Idunno man. They made the playoffs with a six game cushion. I'd argue that both Melo and Billups were worth more than six wins this season - although it depends who replaces them in the lineup.

NYKnickFanatic
05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Obviously Billups...to me at least.

They really werent a contender, until he got there.

tbron
billups

Driven
The Nuggets won 50 games last year. They won 54 this year with Chauncey. I agree that Chauncey is a huge addition to the team, but he's not more important than Carmelo. I think this is more of a knock on Iverson and his tenure on the Nuggets.

Driven
05-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Obviously Billups...to me at least.

They really werent a contender, until he got there.
But why does someone's time of arrival make any sort of a difference? The Nuggets won 17 games the season before Carmelo got there, and won 42 games in his first season.

They wouldn't be relevant without Carmelo.

But that has nothing to do with the question either, it just shows how irrelevant the time of Chauncey's arrival means to the situation.

theuuord
05-22-2009, 06:14 PM
The Nuggets won 50 games last year. They won 54 this year with Chauncey. I agree that Chauncey is a huge addition to the team, but he's not more important than Carmelo. I think this is more of a knock on Iverson and his tenure on the Nuggets.

It's not that simple. The two big differences were the trades of Iverson and Marcus Camby, who averaged 13 rebounds and nearly 4 blocks last year with the Nuggets. He was a huge loss and should have translated fewer wins, but that was just not the case.

Driven
05-22-2009, 06:16 PM
It's not that simple. The two big differences were the trades of Iverson and Marcus Camby, who averaged 13 rebounds and nearly 4 blocks last year with the Nuggets. He was a huge loss and should have translated fewer wins, but that was just not the case.
I noted the departure of Iverson. But Iverson did not fit the team as well as Chauncey. I understand that that ups Billups' value in this situation, but to say Billups is more important than Carmelo is ridiculous to me, especially if you've watched this series with the Lakers so far. Carmelo is the one that drives the team.

And you're kind of forgetting the arrival of Chris Anderson as well.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Idunno man. They made the playoffs with a six game cushion. I'd argue that both Melo and Billups were worth more than six wins this season - although it depends who replaces them in the lineup.

true, true.

mrblisterdundee
05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Chauncey Billups makes Carmello Anthony better through his play-making abilities and leadership. That way, Carmello doesn't have to be a leader, and can play off the ball.

Hustla23
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
How you guys pick Billups is beyond me.

Melo is a top 5 player in the game.

Billups probably isn't even in the top 15 or 20.

I know Billups has been huge for them this year and has been the difference maker but you can't just ignore the fact that he's an all star caliber player whereas Carmelo is a bonafide superstar.

Blah Blah Blah
05-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Again, I don't think the Nuggets would get past the first round without Carmelo

But the second part of wut i said is that BOTH are essential for the team to make the playoffs and compete like they are against the lakers. They NEED melo's scoring abilities as well as Billups's floor leadership to have a chance.

theuuord
05-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I noted the departure of Iverson. But Iverson did not fit the team as well as Chauncey. I understand that that ups Billups' value in this situation, but to say Billups is more important than Carmelo is ridiculous to me, especially if you've watched this series with the Lakers so far. Carmelo is the one that drives the team.

And you're kind of forgetting the arrival of Chris Anderson as well.

This series with the Lakers so far is 2 games long. There are about 90 games of past data to look at before then that show Billups's worth. There are games in the playoffs where Billups played on another level entirely. Billups is easily the most underappreciated point guard of our generation. If you look at the entirety of the season, Billups transformed this team from a borderline playoff team to a legitimate contender overnight.

Also, I like Chris Andersen. A lot more than most people. But if you think he replaced Marcus Camby adequately I'd like you to pass the blunt in my direction because you've taken way more hits than anyone else in the circle.

Chronz
05-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Chris Anderson essentially replaced what Camby brought all game but for 20 minute bursts. That helped offset the loss, but Camby's true replacement was Nene who himself is a superior player so either way the Nuggets come out in front this year looking in. The question marks were with AI and how he would have declined had he stayed. There are alot of reasons why the Nuggets are the 3rd best team in the West. Their young core outside of Klieza improved on last year.

superkegger
05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Who's to say that this Nugget team wouldn't have beat New Orleans if they still had AI and not Billups?

They're both vitally important to their success, I just think Melo is slightly more so. Neither could do it without the other, but Melo is the key for this team. He's what makes them go.

Kakaroach
05-22-2009, 07:38 PM
billups is the driver
melos the passenger Nice analogy lol. And I agree, Billups is much more important than Melo. Melo hasn't gotten out of the playoffs since Billups came. Just a totally different team.

!!A.C. Slater!!
05-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I can see why everybody or most are pykin Chauncey he is in fact a stud of a player and a major asset to the nuggets. That being said i gotta go with Melo here it wasnt an easy decision but look at it from this standpoint. Melo hasnt missed the playoffs since he came into the league YES he's been bounced out early every year but put Billups on those teams without Melo and do they still make the playoffs in the West with a mediocre player in Melo's place???? Melo never had a stud PG (A.I. doesnt count) yet still managed to carry this team on his back into the playoffs every year. I agree whole heartedly that Billups has changed this franchise but Melo did the same when he was drafted. If Steve Blake was on this team Denver still makes the playoffs this seaon if you plug in say Thadeus Young instead of Melo does Denver still make the playoffs????

Tough debate but I gotta go with Melo!!;)

29$JerZ
05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Billups

Having a star just lead to repeated first round exits.
He makes Carmelo an even better player so I'll say Billups.

!!A.C. Slater!!
05-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Without Melo no playoffs I'd rather get bounced than not make it.......just me though!

avsman05
05-22-2009, 08:29 PM
I picked Melo he has showed this year it is deserved.

Blah Blah Blah
05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Who's to say that this Nugget team wouldn't have beat New Orleans if they still had AI and not Billups?

They're both vitally important to their success, I just think Melo is slightly more so. Neither could do it without the other, but Melo is the key for this team. He's what makes them go.
Last what I heard is that Billups is what makes the team go. Melo is the #1 offensive threat on the team, which no one is gonna argue on but billups gets everything started and going on that team on both ends of the floor. Plus he helps open up things for Melo. agree?