PDA

View Full Version : Unconfirmed NBA "source" claims Rubio doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC

koreancabbage
05-22-2009, 12:44 AM
from this article (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224/)
thoughts?

aloysius8
05-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Too bad.

PHX-SOXFAN
05-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Yi didn't want to play in milwaukee. it doesn't matter, it's not his choice. he'll play where he's drafted to play

Kid Fabulous
05-22-2009, 12:56 AM
who cares. he just seems way over hyped.

1goldenrican1
05-22-2009, 12:58 AM
No one is going to be suprised. Do you blame him? Would you pat millions of dollars to play in Memphis or OKC??? Now if he didnt have a contract buyout then I would say you have to suck it up and wait 4 years. I think you could endorsements from L.A. but there taking griffin. I think you may land wiht the Kings or Knicks if the trade there pick, DLee, and expiring contract to Memphis. If not, he is going back to spain and wait another 2 years.

GodsSon
05-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Yi didn't want to play in milwaukee. it doesn't matter, it's not his choice. he'll play where he's drafted to play

Like Steve Francis did?...im sure he wouldnt mind a trade to TO to play alongside fellow spanish point Calderon :)...i wouldnt want to play in OKC or memphis either

PHX-SOXFAN
05-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Like Steve Francis did?...im sure he wouldnt mind a trade to TO to play alongside fellow spanish point Calderon :)...i wouldnt want to play in OKC or memphis either

I'm sure he wouldn't either, but it's not his choice. it's not like he's going to hold out. they would just continue to hold his rights. his contract value is already determined

cwilson21
05-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Guess he wants to play in Minnesota (just kidding).

Hellcrooner
05-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Rubio HAS TO PAY BIG BUCKS from his own pocket to play in the Nba..

Of course he is not going to somwhere he does not like.

He NEEDS L.A or N.Y in order for ENDORSERS paying his buyout so he doe snot have to play for free.

Oh by the way the KID hasnt opened his mouth yet, this is all Agent lead.

And by the way, his cas eis different to yi, He has until June 15 to say if he drops out and waits for next draft.

And if he has to sta here some years, wel Madrid, barcelona, Olympicaos etc are all mroe than willing to pay him 3 or 4 times the Salary a second or third pick gets in the nba.

1goldenrican1
05-22-2009, 01:02 AM

That is correct he didnt. However he didnt have the leverage like Rubio has. No one had to pay a $500,000 to help a buyout and wasnt under contract. Yi wanted to play in NJ and NY b/c of the asian population. After a year he was traded to NJ and got his wish,(even though he is crap). I have a feeling Rubio will get drafted and then traded. If Rubio wasn't under a contract I think he would play anywhere.

Hellcrooner
05-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Danny Ferry, Steve Francis, Kobe Bryant.

All of them said they didnt want to play somwhere and ended playing where they wanted, Ferry even had the balls to stay a year in Italy to force the trade.

Oh and one more thing.

Rubio can DROP OUT OF THE DRAFT , so no one will hold his rights.

1goldenrican1
05-22-2009, 01:09 AM
And if he has to sta here some years, wel Madrid, barcelona, Olympicaos etc are all mroe than willing to pay him 3 or 4 times the Salary a second or third pick gets in the nba[/B].

That is what people FAIL to understand. If he goes back and waits two years and its draft time again and there are crappy teams again would he enter for the rookie salary or get paid millions by european teams who know him well. Unlike fans here who are not sure on him. What if he did a Vazquez and just stay over there. Or like when th eknicks drafted Weis?? It was a terrible pick and everything and we were made fun of BUT he was still making more money in europe then are rookies in the nba. If Rubio stays in europe for 2-3 years I cant see him coming.

NatSkinCapWiz
05-22-2009, 01:19 AM
i hate ******s like this... john elway didn't want to play in baltimore boohoo... eli manning didn't want to play in san diego... boohoo... you play with the team that drafts you or you're a *****

abe_froman
05-22-2009, 01:20 AM
if i'm memphis i say **** it and call his bluff

Draco
05-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Too bad.

That's what I thought when I read the thread title.

I Am Awesome-O
05-22-2009, 01:40 AM
I have yet to see any "Rubio doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC" article that actually has a quote coming straight from Rubio's mouth saying that he doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC. It's all BS until I see some evidence, instead of reading about what some guy's "sources" have to say.

SusanoWo
05-22-2009, 05:27 AM
I have yet to see any "Rubio doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC" article that actually has a quote coming straight from Rubio's mouth saying that he doesn't want to play in Memphis or OKC. It's all BS until I see some evidence, instead of reading about what some guy's "sources" have to say.

I have to agree that it is expectations from everybody that mix this things up. The big point with the draft selection this year regarding Rubio is, and this has been said enough to linger already, that Rubio has a very expensive buyout and it gets worse next year. The player and other parts involved already knew this. This fact tells me people believe Rubio is good enough just not to be handled like a pickup game.

Do not get mistaken, the kid is a professional. He is also a valuable currency so trades are most likely to ba talked around him. Let's see what happens.

For those who already criticise his game, and I thought he was way too well regarded as a 16y old, get your facts first and then talk about it. The kid is spanish basket best prospect. And we are talking about the nation whose bball team put a up a fight against a very talented and motivated US roster at the Olympics final.

Thanks for reading!

todu82
05-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Rubio's being selfish if he doesn't want to play in Oklahoma City. That team is 1 on the rise.

PennyMy#1
05-22-2009, 07:40 AM
That kid doesn't know anything.
He should be happy to get into the league. He hasn't done anything. He hasn't proven himself. That little kid is not even bringing up great numbers to have a big mouth like that. I tell you ... this all overhyping of a too young spanish kid is going way too far.

That kid is already a little diva. He's going to be a mediocre NBA player, maybe. And because he will lose a lot of games at the start (like Navarro) because he has to get drafted by a weak team ... that kid will return to Europe really soon.

And yes ... I've watched him play several times.

SusanoWo
05-22-2009, 08:20 AM
That kid doesn't know anything.
He should be happy to get into the league. He hasn't done anything. He hasn't proven himself. That little kid is not even bringing up great numbers to have a big mouth like that. I tell you ... this all overhyping of a too young spanish kid is going way too far.

That kid is already a little diva. He's going to be a mediocre NBA player, maybe. And because he will lose a lot of games at the start (like Navarro) because he has to get drafted by a weak team ... that kid will return to Europe really soon.

And yes ... I've watched him play several times.

Hello there Penny...less, just joking dude. Can you please show any actual statement from the player himself? I agree that there is no point hitting the wall against the draft system. It is what it is. Also please read the facts about his contract buyout before deciding to ignore them at least. As to whether he proved himself, for such a young guy, I believe he has a good enough cv so far.

You believe he will not meet the expectations? Fair enough. Time will tell and I wish him well as I do Griffin. Now, please, just don't come around saying you saw him play and that's it. I can say I do 360 dunks in slippers, but no screenshot, it did not happen.

Rubio is ACB Champion and Olympic Silver medalist, european junior Gold and MVP, best defensive point guard ACB. I think he has lot of potential. Will he prove it or bust it? Funnily enough it will not rely on his talent alone.

Have a good day sir!

dolfan720
05-22-2009, 08:33 AM
If LA was SMART they would take him and trade their first pick to memphis or OKC. They need a PG. Davis is getting old and less reliable because of injuries. Have Rubio come of the bench for a year. The guy obviousy wants to play for LA if hes going to the media with all this. Who would want to play for LA if you can play for a up and coming team like okc IMO

HOZ THE KNICK
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
i believe memphis will draft thabeet anyway.

Becks2307
05-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Ricky hasn't said **** yet..but all of your are saying stuff about him..lets wait till we hear an actual statement please..

HoosierDaddy
05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
i hate ******s like this... john elway didn't want to play in baltimore boohoo... eli manning didn't want to play in san diego... boohoo... you play with the team that drafts you or you're a *****

agreed

BRADY4MVP
05-22-2009, 10:20 AM
and this kid is getting so overhyped already, i hope he falls flat on his face

Lo Porto
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
This kid has a better argument than Elway, Eli, Ferry, others. He is relying on endorsements to pay off his Euro team buyout. He's not being Yi and wanting to go to a big market. If you had a big mortgage, you'd want to go to a job that would give you the best chance to pay it off. Memphis and OKC are not those teams for Rubio.

The best case scenario is for Memphis or OKC to trade for Nate Robinson and #8. If Memphis wants Thabeet, then OKC trades Rubio's rights. If Memphis doesn't want Thabeet, they can trade Rubio's rights. Nate Robinson is a good player and he'll sell merchandise. He'll also represent the franchise at dunk contests and other spots. In this economy, you need to sell your product/team and Nate would do that for either. OKC or Memphis would still get a good player at #8 too.

Mr.ATLHawks
05-22-2009, 10:46 AM
LOL....OKC has Russell Westbrook, they are looking at Thabeet, so I dont think there even looking at this clown, if they take them they will trade him to stockpile more picks.

Grizzlies have Conley, not a superstar but he is improving and has good PG skills and leadership.

I dont think he has to worry about these two teams as much as Sac, Minnesota and a few other teams in desperate need of a PG.

JOSKOMANG4
05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Memphis should either......

A) Should trade with the Phoenix suns for Amare Stoudamire.... The suns would love to relinquish the salary of Stoudamire and add a PG who will be the eventual replacement for Steve Nash. Rubio is a young talent and can learn a lot playing behind Nash.

Memphis getting Stoudamire would give them a strong frontcourt... Stoudamire(c), M.Gasol(PF), and Rudy Gay(SF).

B) Should trade the pick to the Atl Hawks for Joe Johnson and their pick in the draft.

Hawks would love to relinquish the contract of the Johnson and get a starting PG toreplace Bibby. Rubio.

Memphis lineup with Joe Johnson: C Gasol, PF Warrick, SF Johnson, SF Mayo, PG Conley Jr. 6th man- Gay.

C) Should make a big splash of a deal!!!!! Trade SF Rudy Gay, C Darko Milicic, and 2nd overall selection to the Raptors for Chris Bosh..

Raptors make deal because they know Bosh won't resign with them. Gay receivers as starting gig in Toronto as their SF. They take on Milicic's contract for one year. With the 2nd overall pick, they select PG Ricky Rubio; team him up with SG/PG and fellow Spaniard, Jose Calderon.

As for the Grizzles.. they long to make a strong impact this season in the Western Conference and Bosh would be a big acquisition.

Lineup:

C- Gasol, PF- Bosh, SF- Warrick, SG- Mayo, PG- Conley JR.

I'd compare that lineup with the blazers.. A possibly 6-7 seed in a tough Western Conference.

d) Don't go Rubio and Draft C-Rasheed Thabeet. It'll take Thabeet 2 yrs to progress in the NBA, but you can't go wrong with the big dude at 7'3.

ink
05-22-2009, 12:09 PM
It's just a rumour from an NBA "source". When Rubio's agent comes out publicly and makes a statement, I'll believe it.

This "source" could easily be from a delusional member of a team that wants to trade up to get Rubio.

I call ******** on this one.

king4day
05-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Trade Amare for him :)

BRADY4MVP
05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
no offense to you, but learn how to read first
so he's got to pay a buy out, so what. if he is as good as the world thinks he is, he will have his rookie contract, then get a max contract and have more than enough money to go back across the pond and blow it all

jimbobjarree
05-22-2009, 02:58 PM
tough titties

fredv
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
he'll play where he's drafted to play

Not totally true.. The kid needs to pay to come to the NBA lol...

ragee
05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I know who the source is!! Hellcrooner!!!! LMAO

jackyyy
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
he doesn't want to play with his good Spanish buddy Marc?

:(

reemy
05-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Guess he wants to play in Minnesota (just kidding).

lmao i wish

hotpotato1092
05-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Come on Knicks go get him.

KnicksorBust
05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
he doesn't want to play with his good Spanish buddy Marc?

:(

I am actually surprised about that. You would think that would help convince him to come over.

In general I hate when players do this but if it means the Giants got a superbowl with Eli and if by some miracle it means the Knicks get Rubio, then I guess I can't complain about it.

superkegger
05-22-2009, 05:22 PM
If he didn't want to play there, he shouldn't have put his name in the Draft. It's how it goes, suck it up.

I Am Awesome-O
05-22-2009, 05:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/05/22/weekly.countdown/index.html

The first sane article I have seen about Rubio ever since Memphis got the #2 pick. It says that Fegan is fine with Rubio going to Memphis as long as they aren't committed to Conley. I can guarantee you that they would give up Conley to get Rubio.

MiamiHeat
05-22-2009, 05:31 PM
no surprise here, he needs to go to a big market team
like Hellcrooner has been saying he needs to get a lot of money to pay his buyout

MiamiHeat
05-22-2009, 05:32 PM
no surprise here, he needs to go to a big market team because he needs to pay his buyout like Hellcrooner has been saying

Kakaroach
05-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Who would want to go with Memphis with that owner? Of course, Gasol is there. OKC will be a perennial playoff team if they keep Durant, Green, and Westbrook and throw in Rubio. Maybe a team trades up to get him like New York?

Kings Faithful
05-22-2009, 08:16 PM
You guys who are trashing on Rubio don't understand... First of all he hasn't said ****. Second of all even if he did you have to think about it... He needs to play in a DECENT market... he said La and Sac would be the best. The Clippers and the Kings.... its not like he is trying to be selfish and play for the Lakers or Knicks. He needs the endorsement money to pay off what he owes to his Spanish team. If there is a chance he won't get that then he won't come over. It has nothing to do with him being whiny and thinking he is better than everyone else. I don't blame him for wanting to get out of a few million dollars of debt...

ink
05-22-2009, 08:18 PM
You guys who are trashing on Rubio don't understand... First of all he hasn't said ****. Second of all even if he did you have to think about it... He needs to play in a DECENT market... he said La and Sac would be the best. The Clippers and the Kings.... its not like he is trying to be selfish and play for the Lakers or Knicks. He needs the endorsement money to pay off what he owes to his Spanish team. If there is a chance he won't get that then he won't come over. It has nothing to do with him being whiny and thinking he is better than everyone else. I don't blame him for wanting to get out of a few million dollars of debt...

Exactly. He hasn't said anything. Neither has his agent. This is all based on some unconfirmed source.