PDA

View Full Version : Should the Clippers Retool or Rebuild around Blake?

Chronz
05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
With all the high priced vets they got making the playoffs winning now is a high priority.

Dunleavy preached patience all year, that he wanted to see how their trio of bigs looked together and that he could find a way to play them all 32 minutes (not to mention promising youngster DeAndre Jordan) but that was before Blake fell into our laps, so while the team knows it must free up some frontcourt minutes, they'll want quality talent in return, can they find any with the right combination of salary and skill to get them to the playoffs.

I have a few proposals and would like to know how viable an option they sound, why or why wouldnt a team make that trade:

Retooling
Vince Carter and Bobby Simmons & Sean Williams/Yi

Clippers trade Z-Bo and Camby allowing Blake to start at his natural position with Kaman/DeAndre behind him. And I hear Sean may be wearing out his welcome in NJ so he would be a throw in that could prove useful in LA, if not him then Yi would be a welcome addition as a backup 4. Im sure he would love the environment LA could provide. Vince Carter becomes the immediate starter at the 3 and puts Thornton on the bench, hell if it was a deal breaker I would throw Thornton in the trade as well.

Why NJ does it? Financially its a wash but they get more out of this talent wise. Thornton could probably compete for their starting SF slot, Camby is their GM's (Kiki?) favorite bigman target. Z-Bo certainly has more value than Bobby Simmons right?

Rebuilding

T-Mac's Contract
Clippers trade Camby+ZBo OR Kaman, the Rockets are the one team I could see having a use for Kaman if it meant the addition of Camby. The implications are that Z-Bo and Blake share the PF/C spot which could be the worse defensive pairing since Z-Bo and Curry but it completely alters their financial structure heading into the big free agent class of 2010. It leaves them pretty thin in the frontcourt but isnt that the point. Youve made room for Blake to shine.

Why the Rockets do it? You have to be creative here, aside from the obvious reason that it completely bolsters a frontline that without Yao and Deke heading into next year severely lacks size. Kaman and Camby could easily fill in for Yao for most of the year allowing them the luxury of limiting his minutes and his rest periods. The creative part is how Tmac responds, hes coming off knee injury, he could either whine his way out of LA and resign with the Rockets for free and prove what he has with them, or he could do it with us, either way we only need his contract so its win-win. Tmac could go where he would like after that, and the Rockets could do a wink-wink type deal where they know Tmac would get himself out.

Option 1 provides the Clippers with a team thats ready to compete now and build for the future, Option 2 throws Blake to the Wolves from the get go and provides salary relief for 2010.

Do you know of any other teams that would be interested in any of the Clippers bigmen?

what54!?
05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I think they have to re-tool as of now. They can get trade kaman, camby, and/or maybe even davis but ni one wants Z-bo. They have a soild team and could make the playoffs. Or maybe not, its the clippers.

Chronz
05-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Do you think Griffin will be better than Beasley his first season? I need to know before I build my expectations for this team. But I think its safe to say we need more than him to make the playoffs.

what54!?
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
That depends. If he plays more mins than beasley did he could have a better rookie season. I think he'll have more rebounds than beasley had but less ppg. He has more fire than beasley so I'll give him that. Defensively I think they'll be the same: Bad

abe_froman
05-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Do you think Griffin will be better than Beasley his first season? I need to know before I build my expectations for this team. But I think its safe to say we need more than him to make the playoffs.

season,yes(and will win roy);career,no.

tr3ymill3r
05-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Is this even a relevant forum? Seriously, it's the Clippers, they could have the 1st pick in the draft the next 5-10 years and they'd still be the Clippers. Instead of suck or bad, we should just say you Clipper. You go 3 for 20, you didn't shoot badly, you shot Clipperly.

pippsux
05-21-2009, 05:47 PM
To answer the question, they should trade Bdiddyto Htown :) and build around Rubio. Kid is exciting and will make the Clipps relevant. Blake is a big man and as the NBA has shown, most big men take a couple of years to be special. They should pick Rubio.

JordansBulls
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM
With all the high priced vets they got making the playoffs winning now is a high priority.

Dunleavy preached patience all year, that he wanted to see how their trio of bigs looked together and that he could find a way to play them all 32 minutes (not to mention promising youngster DeAndre Jordan) but that was before Blake fell into our laps, so while the team knows it must free up some frontcourt minutes, they'll want quality talent in return, can they find any with the right combination of salary and skill to get them to the playoffs.

I have a few proposals and would like to know how viable an option they sound, why or why wouldnt a team make that trade:

Retooling
Vince Carter and Bobby Simmons & Sean Williams/Yi

Clippers trade Z-Bo and Camby allowing Blake to start at his natural position with Kaman/DeAndre behind him. And I hear Sean may be wearing out his welcome in NJ so he would be a throw in that could prove useful in LA, if not him then Yi would be a welcome addition as a backup 4. Im sure he would love the environment LA could provide. Vince Carter becomes the immediate starter at the 3 and puts Thornton on the bench, hell if it was a deal breaker I would throw Thornton in the trade as well.

Why NJ does it? Financially its a wash but they get more out of this talent wise. Thornton could probably compete for their starting SF slot, Camby is their GM's (Kiki?) favorite bigman target. Z-Bo certainly has more value than Bobby Simmons right?

Rebuilding

T-Mac's Contract
Clippers trade Camby+ZBo OR Kaman, the Rockets are the one team I could see having a use for Kaman if it meant the addition of Camby. The implications are that Z-Bo and Blake share the PF/C spot which could be the worse defensive pairing since Z-Bo and Curry but it completely alters their financial structure heading into the big free agent class of 2010. It leaves them pretty thin in the frontcourt but isnt that the point. Youve made room for Blake to shine.

Why the Rockets do it? You have to be creative here, aside from the obvious reason that it completely bolsters a frontline that without Yao and Deke heading into next year severely lacks size. Kaman and Camby could easily fill in for Yao for most of the year allowing them the luxury of limiting his minutes and his rest periods. The creative part is how Tmac responds, hes coming off knee injury, he could either whine his way out of LA and resign with the Rockets for free and prove what he has with them, or he could do it with us, either way we only need his contract so its win-win. Tmac could go where he would like after that, and the Rockets could do a wink-wink type deal where they know Tmac would get himself out.

Option 1 provides the Clippers with a team thats ready to compete now and build for the future, Option 2 throws Blake to the Wolves from the get go and provides salary relief for 2010.

Do you know of any other teams that would be interested in any of the Clippers bigmen?

Rebuilding is the best for them. By the time Griffin is an allstar level, Vince and Baron will be nearly done.

Kakaroach
05-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Rebuild for sure. Retool would be dumb cuz Carter and Baron are almost finished.

op12
05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
personally i would keep kaman. him and griffin would be solid on the inside. i think thornton is going to be a go 2 guy soon and keep gordon at sg. let jordan continue to develop behind kaman and maybe he will be starting with blake.

i would get rid of camby, randolph, and maybe even b diddy. need a young core a maybe 1 vet leader, but im not sure any of those are that vet. baron takes away too many shots from eric and al. bring in a vet floor general to control the tempo for the youngs and there is no reason that 5 shouldnt be in the playoffs in the next year or so.

JOSKOMANG4
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
1) Trade either Camby or Kaman. Both have good trade value.

-Camby is older but can still contribute. Teams that I need a center will be high for Camby; Miami, Indiana, Washington, Okla city, etc....

- Kaman is younger and makes under 10mill.. With 3 yrs remaining on his contract. Veteran teams with older players may seek kaman to be a backup for the center, and eventually, the replacment. Kaman is also versatile; he can play the PF position.

2) Trade Zach Randolph

- Zach randolph is a great basketball player but he has poor work ethic.. I would say trade him to a team that is need for a PF.. Detroit pistons or Miami Heat.

Lineup:

C- Kaman/Camby
PF-Griffin
SF- Skinner
SG- Gordon
PG- B. Davis

With this lineup.. I would say a 30-35 win team. playoffs out of reach.

JDizzle
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
they have the talent.. last year they were kinda banged up.. there underachievers with griffin there now they will have a good 5 and 3 good bench players.. i dont think they need to rebuild just retool a lil not to much just a little

Missing56&33
05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
retool sounds better to me

jgonboricua
05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Davis/Randolf and Camby need to be gone!!! there future now relies on Griffen/Gordon and thornton, they will need a point gaurd, i would keep kamen if i was them....

jgonboricua
05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Zach Randolf to detroit for Michael Curry....

Legitimate
05-22-2009, 01:22 PM
They have all that talent on their team. How about make some trades retool it a bit, spread the talent on the team to make it more balanced :).

Lo Porto
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Is this even a relevant forum? Seriously, it's the Clippers, they could have the 1st pick in the draft the next 5-10 years and they'd still be the Clippers. Instead of suck or bad, we should just say you Clipper. You go 3 for 20, you didn't shoot badly, you shot Clipperly.

That's damn funny.

jimbobjarree
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
yeah this thread is a load of clippers

GREATNESS ONE
05-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Davis/Randolf and Camby need to be gone!!! there future now relies on Griffen/Gordon and thornton, they will need a point gaurd, i would keep kamen if i was them....

I Agree, They need to go young and bring in a pg. I also think Baron can play he just needs someone to run with. Blake Griffin is goin to be a very good basketball player and will bring his heart to LA other team.

To answer the question I would rebuild with a bit of retooling so I vote both. I dont think the Clippers are that far off to becoming a playoff team.

BenFrank
05-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I think thay should retool.. I would trade.. Camby, Davis, and Kamen for younger talent... so thay could grow as a team.. the clipper's will still be in the lottery, but thay will be able to pick better talent to grow with, and have cap space down the line to pick up another star player.. kinda like what Atlanta did

A couple trade's..

Kamen to New York for David Lee
Davis to Portland for Steve Blake, Bayless, Outlaw
Camby to houston for T-mac's expiring

Lineup
Lee
Griffin
thorton
Gordon
Bayless or Blake

In 3 or 4 year's with the right draft picks and FA signin's that would be a playoff team

Let Z-Bo back-up or buy him out