PDA

View Full Version : Infante out 6-8 weeks with broken hand.

Jon93405
05-20-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/45554747.html

Braves manager Bobby Cox said he expects Infante to miss six to eight weeks. Infante had a similar injury in spring training last year.

Cox called the loss of Infante "huge."

"He's been on fire the whole year," Cox said. "He can play several positions and he can play them well.

flea
05-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Bad loss for us today.

BRAVE KID
05-20-2009, 11:36 PM
that is just horrible not only for our team but for infante, doing everything right and this happens just ****in bad luck. Best lead-off hitter we had this season, so valuable and we lose it. damn.

Jon93405
05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
What really hurts is his ability to play CF. I guess Frenchy is that man now. We'll probably see Brooks Conrad or Diory Hernandez next.

Thank goodness for Prado. He can still hit and serve the same role as Infante hitting against lefties some and leading off.

robdizzle3
05-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Damn!!!Infante was playing out of his mind and the defense he gave us from every position he came in for us will be missed as well.Somebody from the Minors will have to come in and play,but you know that we teach them to play major league ball down there

nps6724
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Always has to be a GOOD player who gets hurt. I mean, you don't wish injury on anyone but why can't it be a guy like Norton, someone who isn't that important, who gets hurt? Nah, it has to be Chip or Mac or now Infante.

lavell12
05-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Bobby said that Diory Hernandez will be called up to replace Infante. The Braves will NOT call up an outfielder though, remember Infante is the only one besides Schafer on the mlb roster who can play center. Bobby said that Francoeur, Diaz, and even Prado could play CF if need be.

Pierce2378
05-21-2009, 06:45 AM
major bummer, he was the glue guy for sure. Big opportunity for Prado moving forward.

BravoFan3736
05-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Bobby said that Diory Hernandez will be called up to replace Infante. The Braves will NOT call up an outfielder though, remember Infante is the only one besides Schafer on the mlb roster who can play center. Bobby said that Francoeur, Diaz, and even Prado could play CF if need be.

Diaz and Prado in CF!!!???!!!!:eyebrow: Frenchy has a range of a snell in RF much least trying to play CF. This will raise a interesting issue now, Blanco has more than sucked in AAA and Barton isn't the 40 man roster so either or Norton may have be the odd man though it appears that the braves value Norton quite a great deal to not make a move to have a legit backup CF.

Can you imagine Diaz and Frenchy roaming like lost sheep in CF!! Just hope that Schafer doesn't get hurt at ALL or we will be in some deep crap.

Maybe we can by low on Ankiel which he has just came off the disabled list. Though they won't trade Ankiel till Ludwick comes back from the DL and show he is 100%. Derosa does nothing for this team but a utility guy with some power from the RH and is not worth giving up a Morton for acouple months of Derosa. Though Ankiel would be the same issue though he would probably be type A/B FA if we offered Arb for Draft Picks when he goes to FA.

nps6724
05-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Sure they could play CF, in the fact that they both have functional legs and can legally be put at that position. Lowe could play SS as well, but can he do it well? Doubtful.

SilverAndBlue
05-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Sure they could play CF, in the fact that they both have functional legs and can legally be put at that position. Lowe could play SS as well, but can he do it well? Doubtful.

thank you. I mean can you imagine these guys out there in CF? Hell, Diaz has a hard enough time fielding balls in LF, much less CF. I've never seen Francouer play CF but I know he played the position in High School. He's got pretty decent speed so maybe he can surprise us. I don't like the idea of Prado out there. He's not that fast anyways and doesn't play OF on a routine basis. I'm uttlerly confused about this.

nps6724
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Frenchy would be a horrible CF, especially if GA and Diaz are next to him.

MrJones
05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
If Frenchy played CF I can almost guarantee you he's next on the injury list, which would at least give him some time off to clear his head ...

CrippledRam
05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
* Utility man Omar Infante is out six to eight weeks after Manny Corpas broke a bone in his hand with a fastball. There is a trickle-down effect on the trade market - the Braves have less depth now, and probably can't move a guy like Kelly Johnson.
* Bowman adds that the Braves are likely to shop Jeff Francoeur, but the prospects are grim given his performance in recent times. The Braves are still hurting for power at the corner outfield spots.

mlbtr

Coach100
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I think I would rather see KJ or Prado take a stab at CF than Frenshy or Diaz. I kind of thought Diory would be be the guy called-up.

Guess Cox is going to ride the Schafer train as long as he can 9which means unless it breaks down)

nps6724
05-21-2009, 11:16 AM
We need to peg about 6 Rockies tonight. They've hit Jeff twice, Esco once, and have now injured Infante. Or let's just win by 7 or 8 again. That works too.

SilverAndBlue
05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Frenchy would be a horrible CF, especially if GA and Diaz are next to him.

very true. I just can't understand that move. Hopefully, a move is about to be made with one of our outfielders

lavell12
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Jeff had early success b/c he of Rudy Germillo maybe just maybe we could do a Francoeur for Andruw Jones trade. If NOT we could probably trade Morton or Reyes for Jones who could start in right and serve as the backup CF. Then we could trade Francoeur for some relief pitching.

nps6724
05-21-2009, 12:59 PM
AJ is hitting .242 in May with 2 XBH (1 2B, 1 HR) and 5 RBI. AJ had a fast start and has cooled off considerably. Trading for him is just getting an older, fatter, broken-down Frenchy.

CrippledRam
05-21-2009, 02:05 PM
And look at AJ's Home/Road Splits

MSU Spartans313
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Damn. Infante is a great player tough loss for the Braves.

BRAVE KID
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
We need to peg about 6 Rockies tonight. They've hit Jeff twice, Esco once, and have now injured Infante. Or let's just win by 7 or 8 again. That works too.who says we can't do both?;)

A_Brave_Pack
05-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd love to see a brawl tonight. I don't usually advocate violence, but the Braves seem to still be lacking energy. Now with Infante, who was a huge catalyst for the Braves, out for the foreseeable future, the Braves need to do something to get fired up.

One caveat to this though, Chipper is the LAST one out of the dugout. That, or have him come out with bubblewrap, and mark 'Fragile' on his forehead.

nps6724
05-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Well we know Esco is always ready to rumble and I bet Ross can throw down.

robdizzle3
05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Frenchy just needs to run out and big hit someone.Mac should come out with his glasses on and tell them "you cant hit a man with "glasses" and then WHAM!!!He catches them with a haymaker.Maybe Kawakami can judo throw somebody

ATLKoos16
05-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Frenchy just needs to run out and big hit someone.Mac should come out with his glasses on and tell them "you cant hit a man with "glasses" and then WHAM!!!He catches them with a haymaker.Maybe Kawakami can judo throw somebody

:D this is hilarious! Especially the Mac and Kawakami part.

ATLBravesfan
05-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Just our luck. Infante is out and then Chipper gets his foot problems again.

rtgthree
05-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm really not that worried about losing Infante. If there's one thing the Braves usually have, it's depth, and I look forward to seeing what Diory Hernandez can do. He's got the same positional versatility as Infante with soft hands and pretty good range. He was raking at Triple-A so I'm interested to see how his bat looks in major-league duty. I'm glad Infante is only out 6-8 weeks (and not for the season, say), but I don't think the Braves will take too much of a hit losing him.

Not really worried about center field either, because Frenchy or someone could cover for a few innings in an emergency, and then a move could be made the next day should something happen to Schafer. I still have faith in both Gregor Blanco and Brian Barton as major-league caliber outfielders.