PDA

View Full Version : David Stern: Finals will be good, with or without LeBron

JordansBulls
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoDiyntGgOHbb3a21Y9Jgj.8vLYF?slug=ap-nbastern&prov=ap&type=lgns)

LeBron James(notes) and the Cleveland Cavaliers don’t have to get to the NBA Finals for the playoffs to be a success, commissioner David Stern said Tuesday.

Speaking hours before the NBA Draft Lottery, Stern downplayed the idea that having James in the Finals would be a windfall for the league.

“You mean as opposed to Dwight Howard(notes), Carmelo Anthony(notes) or Kobe Bryant(notes),” a smiling Stern said. “None. We have nothing but stars. We should be called NBS instead of NBA, and I don’t do justice to the squads because in Sunday’s Game 7s, the two players who got the most ink were Mr. (Hedo) Turkoglu and Mr. (Pau) Gasol, so the international element of the NBA makes us stronger and is beginning to catch the attention of the press.”

prash
05-19-2009, 10:26 PM
what would the NBS stand for?

Kakaroach
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Of course, they will still be good. D12 is still a superstar player and you get Melo or Kobe.

Reyes6
05-19-2009, 11:47 PM

National Basketball Stars... he was trying to be funny and failed yet again at life.

But seriously this is like Adolf Hitler saying "Holocaust? What holocaust?" He knows exactly that the Lakers/Cavs is what he wants to happen and will most likely do whatever he can to make it happen. :mad:

ishouldbeagm
05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
haha finals with no lebron interesting?.......david stern is such a comedian

MaHaRaJaH
05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Not like he can say something bold as "Yea, Cleveland will DEFINITELY be there"

superkegger
05-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't generally dislike stern. He's a marketing genius and basically saved the nba (along with bird and magic) in the 80's, but he's one cocky son of a *****.

JordansBulls
05-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Well Cleveland and Orlando have only made the finals once. However, Orlando hasn't gotten to the conference finals since 1996. I would like to see them go on personally.

superkegger
05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
If the Magic make the finals, I can't really imagine the ridiculous kind of hype and press we'd hear about Dwight, about the second coming of Russell or Kareem and such nonsense. I like Dwight and all, but the mainstream media doesn't pump his as hard Kobe or LeBron and such, so if he lead that team to the finals, it would be interesting to see just how much they would compare him to all the all time great C's.

jimbobjarree
05-20-2009, 02:38 PM
lets go D12 and Melo!

Eagles_Guy
05-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Stern is on the fence about Lebron being in the Finals as much as he is deciding whether he should contract herpes or not.

masalex1205
05-20-2009, 02:55 PM
haha

JordansBulls
05-22-2009, 11:50 AM
If the Magic make the finals, I can't really imagine the ridiculous kind of hype and press we'd hear about Dwight, about the second coming of Russell or Kareem and such nonsense. I like Dwight and all, but the mainstream media doesn't pump his as hard Kobe or LeBron and such, so if he lead that team to the finals, it would be interesting to see just how much they would compare him to all the all time great C's.

Well if Dwight won the title, you would be hearing how Dwight is Shaq and Hakeem in one. That he has the power of Shaq and finesse of Hakeem.
They will say Dwight is as good as Shaq and things like that as well.

JordansBulls
05-22-2009, 11:53 AM
The thing is that now, what can be said especially after the information regarding the 2002 series?

If the Lakers and Cavs meet, people will say it was fixed to have the finals with the best ratings.

If the Magic and Nuggets meet, people will say Stern wanted it like that so that it would mean the league wasn't fixed.

Honestly though, considering there are stars on each team, I doubt Stern really cares that much.

I honestly feel if Stern was just about the ratings or just about the money, that why would the Spurs be the team in the finals most often this decade when they had the lowest ratings sooo often in the finals?

sixer04fan
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM
What... did you expect him to say the finals will suck without Lebron? Why is this a thread?

Becks2307
05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I half expect to see David Stern on 'To catch a predator ' soon..dude looks suspicious to me

BleedGreen1014
05-24-2009, 08:07 PM
i half expect to see david stern on 'to catch a predator ' soon..dude looks suspicious to me

lmao

IndyRealist
05-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Kobe vs Lebron is FAR more marketable than Dwight or Carmelo, have you seen the most-valuable-puppets ads? They haven't even MADE it to the Finals yet. The NBA markets quick, athletic PG's and wings. The whole rules structure was changed to LET these players dominate. People may or may not watch Melo vs Dwight, but I can garuantee that the league will make tons more money off of Kobe vs Lebron.

tr4shb0t
05-25-2009, 12:12 AM
I guess Stern knew Magic would woop the Cavs' butt even though Cavs get ALL the calls.

*Superman*
05-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Stern is ******** through his mouth, he knows he wants Cavs vs LA

lakers4sho
05-25-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm calling L.A. vs. Orlando.

*Superman*
05-25-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm calling L.A. vs. Orlando.

:D Let the best team win!

jacquewho?
05-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Kobe and LeBron would be epic, but a Nuggets/Cavs would be just as exciting to me. Magic/Nuggets would be good, but not too exciting. Magic/Lakers would suck though, lakers would run away with it.

*Superman*
05-25-2009, 01:29 AM
^Are you sure man, LA runs away with it. People said the same about the Cavs. And LA has had its troubles in the playoffs. Dont be surprised...

lakers4sho
05-25-2009, 01:37 AM
IMO Orlando would be the tougher matchup for us :shrug:

*Superman*
05-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Im not trying to sound cocky but we would. All you have to do is Lebron get his 40 a game and shut down the rest of the team and its a wrap...Oh yeah try to keep the refs out the game too.

Just look at what the Spurs did to the Cavs in 06 i think.

tr4shb0t
05-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Magic are definitely a more difficult matchup for the Lakers, and that's why I wanted Cavs to advance...until I saw the horrible officiating and bailout calls on Lebron and the Cavs. It disgusts me so much I would rather lose in the finals and have a deserving team take it. The Magic are certainly earning it right now.

NoSense
05-25-2009, 07:54 AM
If I am not mistaken when LeBron was in the Finals in 07, they were the lowest ratings ever or close to it. So, in a sense, Stern is right...
But I would be so HAPPAY if the Finals were D12 and Melo, because ESPN/ABC would be so mad...

QUICKTRADE
05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
:D Let the best team win!

agree:clap:

MiamiHeat
05-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Stern is ******** through his mouth, he knows he wants Cavs vs LA

:nod:

but it will be the Magic going to the finals :up:

TragicallyHip
05-25-2009, 02:34 PM

National Betting Scam

D Roses Bulls
05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
National Basketball Stars... he was trying to be funny and failed yet again at life.

But seriously this is like Adolf Hitler saying "Holocaust? What holocaust?" He knows exactly that the Lakers/Cavs is what he wants to happen and will most likely do whatever he can to make it happen. :mad:

no..... stern said we have nothing but stars. we should be called nbs which means as he just stated, nothing but stars.

anyways i hope its the nuggets and magic in the finals. i cant stand either kobe or lebron. espn really makes me hate them both

dodie53
05-25-2009, 09:10 PM
lebron is not the nba

jacquewho?
05-25-2009, 09:54 PM
^Are you sure man, LA runs away with it. People said the same about the Cavs. And LA has had its troubles in the playoffs. Dont be surprised...

No doubt it would be a fun series to watch, but then Howard's supporting cast really needs to come through there more than ever.

JordansBulls
05-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Just can't believe he got 24 FTA yesterday and Dwight keeps getting fouled out on bs calls.