PDA

View Full Version : All-Freak of Nature or All-Fundamental teams?

sp1derm00
05-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm using only NBA players that are currently playing, but assume they are in their primes.

All-Freak of Natures:

PG: Rondo. Huge hands for someone his size.

SG: VC. Best dunker in NBA history... could probably outjump Lebron in his prime.

SF: Lebron. More of a freak of nature than anyone in NBA history.

PF: Dwight. I know he's a C, but he deserves to be on this list even if Shaq is more of a freak of nature.

C: Shaq. In his prime, he was incredibly mobile and strong.

All-Fundamentals:

PG: Steve Nash. Solid handles, great passing, great shot. Everything you want in a PG.

SG: Kobe Bryant. Master of footwork, student of every aspect of the game, fundamentally sound in all things basketball.

SF: Carmelo. Everything you want in your SF, Melo can do. He doesn't rely on his athleticism. He has a great shot, can post up, board, dish... and he plays defense now.

PF: Tim Duncan. The Big Fundamental.

C: Yao Ming. Yao is not athletic at all, but has great size and good footwork for someone of his stature. He's got tons of post moves and he's a better free throw shooter than most guards.

Who would win?!

Hawkeye15
05-19-2009, 07:05 PM
freaks, easily

mister freeze
05-19-2009, 07:05 PM
D-Wade is a hybrid

superkegger
05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd take the fundamentals....

mister freeze
Everybody love freaks

mister freeze
Dirk should be in the fundamentals

sp1derm00
05-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Dirk should be in the fundamentals

Over the BIG Fundamental? Never.

Also, Dirk doesn't have the fundamentals you're looking for in a PF, he's an oversized SF.

Wake's Fastball
Shaq in his prime destroys Yao. Any other mismatches created in the game pale in comparison.

marlinsfan24
I'd take Fundamentals.

Nash>Rondo
Kobe>VC
Carmelo<Lebron
Duncan>Dwight
Ming<Shaq

I'd say the fundamentalists win 3 out of 5. Especially since you surround Lebron with players who all can't shoot, which is where a team suited to play with Lebron would thrive in.

mister freeze
05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Over the BIG Fundamental? Never.

Also, Dirk doesn't have the fundamentals you're looking for in a PF, he's an oversized SF.

No I wasn't saying ahead of TD but he should be in there...maybe there should be a bench

dgreat5000
05-19-2009, 07:11 PM
James White can windmill from the free-throw line, can he make a team???

mister freeze
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I'd take Fundamentals.

Nash>Rondo
Kobe>VC
Carmelo<Lebron
Duncan>Dwight
Ming<Shaq

I'd say the fundamentalists win 3 out of 5. Especially since you surround Lebron with players who all can't shoot, which is where a team suited to play with Lebron would thrive in.

Because Yao can't guard Shaq 1 on 1 they'll have to double and it wouldn't even be fair to be honest

mister freeze
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM

True.

Chronz
05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Melo relies more on his brute strength and quick first step than any SF in the league outside of Bron. His post game is a thing of beauty but in terms of fundamentals Id take Pierce or Butler over him.

With those options though Id take fundamentals, the freaks have too many ball dominant players and not enough defense stretchers, VC is really the only guy who can make every open shot. The funds have every player who can make an open shot.

mister freeze
05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Melo relies more on his brute strength and quick first step more than any SF in the league outside of Bron. His post game is unreal but in terms of fundamentals Id take Pierce or Butler over him.

Forgot about him

sp1derm00
05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
All-Hybrid:

PG: Billups. Pretty big for a PG, yet fundamentally sound.

SG: Wade. Great athlete, yet good fundamentals.

SF: Artest. When Lebron becomes older, like maybe 28... he should bring out tapes of how Artest plays now and learn from him. He's a great athlete, strong... yet he can post up and has a good 3 point shot.

PF: KG. Freak, yet fundamentally sound.

C: Al Jefferson. Good athlete, good post moves. Best I could think of... more of a natural PF though.

sp1derm00
05-19-2009, 07:23 PM
The thing about Pierce is.. he's not a slasher at ALL. Not in the very least... his cuts are non-existent.

Melo does this, Melo posts up, Melo boards, Melo shoots, Melo has good footwork. He does rely on strength, but that's mostly when he's posting up, when you are supposed to use strength.

This is why I included Yao as a fundamental. Though he is a freak of nature, he is the most fundamentally sound C we have in the league, and possibly the most fundamentally sound C we've had since Kareem.

I'd stick with Melo over Pierce because Melo can do everything Pierce can, but he slashes as well.

Master Mind
05-19-2009, 07:26 PM
All-Hybrid:

PG: Billups. Pretty big for a PG, yet fundamentally sound.

SG: Wade. Great athlete, yet good fundamentals.

SF: Artest. When Lebron becomes older, like maybe 28... he should bring out tapes of how Artest plays now and learn from him. He's a great athlete, strong... yet he can post up and has a good 3 point shot.

PF: KG. Freak, yet fundamentally sound.

C: Al Jefferson. Good athlete, good post moves. Best I could think of... more of a natural PF though.

Durant should be in there, and Deron Williams as well..but good list

sp1derm00
05-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Because Yao can't guard Shaq 1 on 1 they'll have to double and it wouldn't even be fair to be honest

I think Yao is one of the few C's in the league that can hold Shaq 1v1. He's got the bulk but a higher center of gravity. He's longer. Shaq will have to work harder on Yao than anyone else in the league. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to double Shaq with either Yao or Duncan on him.

If we swapped it up, and Duncan played Shaq while Yao played Howard... Duncan can play Shaq well enough and Yao would dominate Dwight as usual.

sp1derm00
05-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Durant should be in there

True, he should. Maybe in place of Artest.

Joshtd1
05-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Fundamentals.

Hellcrooner
05-19-2009, 08:01 PM
id take Kobe melo and Ming out of the fundamentals team and replace them with Grant Hill, Dirk Nowitzky and Pau Gasol.

and i take fundamentals ALWAYS.

Why? Dirk, Pau or Timmy D can still be in the league when they are 38 years old and putting up 15/8 a game.

Kg ? i dont see Kg still in the league at age 35.

superkegger
05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
id take Kobe melo and Ming out of the fundamentals team and replace them with Grant Hill, Dirk Nowitzky and Pau Gasol.

and i take fundamentals ALWAYS.

Why? Dirk, Pau or Timmy D can still be in the league when they are 38 years old and putting up 15/8 a game.

Kg ? i dont see Kg still in the league at age 35.

I see Duncan retiring before KG.

DreamShaker
05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd take the fundamentals....

Me too.

Hellcrooner
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
he will because he is OLDER

superkegger
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
he will because he is OLDER

KG was born May 19th 1976
TD was born April 25th 1976

So yes, TD is older, but only by 24 days.

Plus KG has played 1055 games, Tim has played 899.

And I'd be willing to bet KG plays longer than TD.

Chronz
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
PNWAGE on the spaniard

All Fundamental Team

Nash
Kobe
Pierce
Pau
Duncan

Yao has fundamentals and great skills, but his height makes him a freak and because of it, severely limits what he can do with those fundamentals. Hes a great passer if your not asking him to carry your offense, but when he has to do it all, he gets very turnover prone because he cant see all those midgets down here. Both Pau and Duncan have the faceup game to go with the back 2 the basket and passing game.

Devils05
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Just a thought but how isn't Yao considered to be in the freak of nature side? 7'6" is not normal. :cool:

AIverson
05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
That Shaq team would destroy that other team.

BUCSFORLIFE123
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
shaq in his prime will KILL duncan and yao plus having dwight helps it evem more

Hustla23
05-20-2009, 12:16 AM

The ****? Are you sure that's even possible.

bostncelts34
05-20-2009, 01:27 AM
switch melo with pierce and id take the fundamental.

Lebron has no great shooters around him, which is the environment he thrives in.

a team of Nash(or kidd),kobe,pierce,td,ming. unbeleivable. Got Defense,offense, shooters,slashers, post up offense.

Master Mind
05-20-2009, 02:45 AM
The ****? Are you sure that's even possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wolosB6ttXQ&feature=related

You be the judge

JayW_1023
05-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Shaq is also incredibly fundamentally sound...not just a freak. That's what made him so dominant.

skinsfan4life80
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
shaq in his prime will KILL duncan and yao plus having dwight helps it evem more

Shaq didnt kill Duncan in his prime..and Howard is in his prime right now and Yao kills him every time they play. A back court of Rondo and Vince even in his prime doesnt even come close to a back court of Kobe and Nash. Kobe and Nash have 3 MVP awards. With shooters like Nash Kobe and Melo you could never double down..and Duncan and Yao would kill them down low. That freak team woould also be one of the worse free throw shooting teams ever..and the worest shooting team ever. Other then Vince any coach would let that team shot open jumpers all day.

superkegger
05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Like someone else said, the spacing for the freak team just isn't there. Only Vince can, while pretty much everyone sans duncan can shoot on the fundamental team.

kingkobe
05-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Screw windmill...he did a under the legs from the free throw line. In-Fooking-Sane. WOW!

Still just dunking doesn't allow him to beat carter. Carter was actually a really good SG/SF in his prime when he lead the Raptors to the Conf Finals.

On topic though, Freaks will destroy the geeks. (geeks as in basketball geeks aka fundamentals).

Lebron AND Shaq AND Howard...and Lebron and Howard are not even in their prime yet. Rondo is improving really fast too. Freaks any day!

Also, for the people saying Lebron won't have any shooters around him...he doesn't need any with Shaq around. Also, VC has the record for most 3s in a game(playoffs I believe). So that's enough shooting already.

Also, all 5 of them are great rebounders as well. Man, that'll be an insane team to beat.

kingkobe
05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Shaq didnt kill Duncan in his prime..and Howard is in his prime right now and Yao kills him every time they play. A back court of Rondo and Vince even in his prime doesnt even come close to a back court of Kobe and Nash. Kobe and Nash have 3 MVP awards. With shooters like Nash Kobe and Melo you could never double down..and Duncan and Yao would kill them down low. That freak team woould also be one of the worse free throw shooting teams ever..and the worest shooting team ever. Other then Vince any coach would let that team shot open jumpers all day.

Lot of errors in this post...

1. Howard is NOT in his prime. Are you kidding me? He's maybe half of what he will be in a few years if he develops a offensive game. And he already gets 20-20.

2. Yao will be on shaq and TD on Howard. Although Howard/TD will cancel out there is no way Yao can take on a Prime Shaq of the dynasty years. Yao is wayyyy to slow for Shaq. You should go watch some old videos to see how quick Shaq was in that body.

3. I'm not sure if you know basketball that well so I'll let you ponder the 1st 2 points for now.

what54!?
05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wolosB6ttXQ&feature=related

You be the judgeoh ****

THE MTL
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Well that was a bad comparison cause Rondo being put on that list is not right. However, fundamental players should always win cause of great knowledge and basketball IQ. Now, im not saying that those particular players mentioned above would beat the All-Freak team listed above.

But in general if you had to pick between Freak players or Fundamental players. The fundamentals win.

mfb_lt1birdman
05-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Just a thought but how isn't Yao considered to be in the freak of nature side? 7'6" is not normal. :cool:

I'm with you on this. I mean if a 7'6" man, let alone a China man, is not freakish I don't know what is.

VCaintdead17
05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Baron Davis would be better suited than Rondo for the freaks.

BiG bAd BrUiNs
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd take the fundamentals.The freaks don't have that many shooters, or enough space to give them on the court at the same time.

Brooklyn Mets
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
fundamentals have a way better team all around..

what54!?
05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
everyone is gonna pick the fundamentals because they have...well the fundamentals

skinsfan4life80
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Lot of errors in this post...

1. Howard is NOT in his prime. Are you kidding me? He's maybe half of what he will be in a few years if he develops a offensive game. And he already gets 20-20.

2. Yao will be on shaq and TD on Howard. Although Howard/TD will cancel out there is no way Yao can take on a Prime Shaq of the dynasty years. Yao is wayyyy to slow for Shaq. You should go watch some old videos to see how quick Shaq was in that body.

3. I'm not sure if you know basketball that well so I'll let you ponder the 1st 2 points for now.

Clearly you dont know basketball to well you must only play video games. Duncan doesnt have to guard Howard..how it works in real life not NBAlive is you guard who is the best matchup and Duncan is the best matchup on Shaq..not sure if you know this but everytime Yao plays howard he dominats him. By the way Howard damn sure doesnt avg 20 and 20..and vs the Rockets he barely avg 10 and 10.

kingkobe
05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Clearly you dont know basketball to well you must only play video games. Duncan doesnt have to guard Howard..how it works in real life not NBAlive is you guard who is the best matchup and Duncan is the best matchup on Shaq..not sure if you know this but everytime Yao plays howard he dominats him. By the way Howard damn sure doesnt avg 20 and 20..and vs the Rockets he barely avg 10 and 10.

Yeah ok. Just because you play NBA live doesn't mean everyone else does too.

Stop hating on Dwight. He had 13-10 games against Rockets this season with 2.5 blocks. That's NOT barely 10-10. Comparatively Yao had 20 and 14 with 1.5 blocks against Orlando. I don't know what you are smoking but Dwight is no where close to his prime right now. He is still pretty raw and developing his Offensive game. Wait a couple of years and then he'll show you what dominating means.

Also, Duncan could never stop Shaq in the 3-peat. LA actually swept SAS 4-0 in the western conference finals with both David Robinson and TD on the team. If the twin towes can't stop Shaq then no one can.

i.got.the.nutz
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
The weakness in the All Freak team is definitely outside shooting. Having Rondo on the team allows the defense to collapse on Shaq and Howard but I still think the All Freak team would over power the All Fundamental team (assuming they are all in their prime). Shaq Lebron and Howard is a pretty nasty front court. Kobe and Nash definitely has the advantage in the back court for the all fundamental team though.

Jack Bauers Cuz
05-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I'd take Fundamentals.

Nash>Rondo
Kobe>VC
Carmelo<Lebron
Duncan>Dwight
Ming<Shaq

You couldve not said that any better

Fireworld
05-21-2009, 05:21 PM
All-Fundamentals

theuuord
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
I mean, this is kind of an unfair question. All of those athletic freaks are also fundamentally sound, and all of those fundamentally sound players are also athletic freaks....

For what it's worth, if you're playing pick up down the street I'd take the athletic freak every time.