PDA

View Full Version : Former Cavaliers center Brad Daugherty: Our team would beat current team

JordansBulls
05-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Source: Cleveland (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/05/former_cavaliers_center_brad_d.html)

Former Cleveland center Brad Daugherty thinks his Cavs teams would beat the current edition.
Writing on ESPN's Media Zone Water Cooler, Daugherty, now an ESPN NASCAR analyst, said, "It'd be very difficult matching up and defending LeBron, much like the problems we had to guard Michael Jordan. LeBron continues to groom his outside shot, being able to make 15- to 18-footers, and that's what's making the difference in him being the player he is today as opposed to the player he was three years ago.

"If we played them, and he started making 18-foot shots consistently, he'd be a problem. But I think we could have altered some of his shots, and we could have thrown a couple of really top-notch defenders at him. Larry Nance could guard out on the perimeter, he could guard a 3 or a 4, and Hot Rod Williams was an excellent defender. When you got past them to go to the basket, the game was still on because they could come from behind you and block your shot."
Daugherty, the No. 1 pick in the 1986 draft whose career was cut short by a back injury, thinks he and Mark Price would have given the current Cavs some problems, running their perfect pick-and-roll, which would have drawn center Zydrunas Ilgauskas away from the basket.

But he said Ron Harper would have been the X-factor.

"Ron was a very, very difficult opponent for anyone," Daugherty wrote. "You can ask Michael Jordan. When we traded Ron, Michael said that's the best thing we could have ever done for the Bulls. Ron was very good at moving and defending the basketball, he was a good rebounder, and he could score at different angles, outside or inside.

"LeBron offers all kinds of problems for anyone who has to guard him, but I think with our basketball team, especially if we had Ron Harper, there's just no way that they could have matched up with us to stop our offense because we were too efficient."

PennyMy#1
05-19-2009, 09:22 AM
It's interesting to think about things like that. Former great teams playing recent ones. How would Parish, McHale and Bird play against the recent Celtics and stuff like that. Really interesting ... but too hard to say, if you haven't ever played with guys like Hot Rod or had to defend guys like Jordan or LeBron ... .

lakers4sho
05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I think that Cavs would definitely have a shot. They have a bunch of scorers, tough guys, and excellent role players. If it weren't for the Bulls they would have at least one trip to the NBA Finals.

cmstophe
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
If it werent for the Bulls they would have won at least 1 title.

Hawkeye15
05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Craig Ehlo is probably still haunted by MJ.
Its possible. Mark Price was awesome, Harper was behind only MJ and Drexler at the time, Brad was a very good center, and the Cavs were a good team. I don't think they have an answer for LeBron, at all, and that is the difference

LAKERMANIA
05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
If it werent for the Bulls they would have won at least 1 title.

If it weren't for the Bulls a lot of teams would have one title

JordansBulls
05-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah that 1989 team should never have lost to us. They were 6-0 against us in the season and won 10+ more games than us.

superkegger
05-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I think it depends on what era the game/series was played in. I think if you put this cavs team back in the day, it would get beat, but take that Daugherty/Price cavs team to today, I think the LeBron Cavs would win.

JordansBulls
05-31-2009, 02:21 AM
The rules would play a big part. Will they allow the physical play or not? I think those Cavs teams had the arsenal to deal with this Cavs team.

superkegger
05-31-2009, 02:24 AM
IMO it all just boils down to what rules they play under. Mike Brown already thinks LeBron doesn't get enough calls, put this game in 1986, Mike Brown and LeBron are going to be going ballistic.

Hellcrooner
05-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Ron Harper, Mark Price, Danny Ferry, Larry Nance, Brad Daugherty, Craig ehlo, Hto rod williams!!!!

That team would SWEEP the Cleveland Lebrowns.

O god, how much i loved that last 80s and first 90s cavs pity injuries ended with Brads and marks careers and spoilt Dannys.

Hellcrooner
05-31-2009, 02:29 AM
ROn also was slwoed by injury....man were they doomed or waht?

Hellcrooner
05-31-2009, 02:35 AM
man this got me thinking.....

pathetic has gone the leagueÇ!!!!!

Last 80s/frist n90s teams of this years conference finalsits would ALL kick the actual teams butts...

I mean, Showtime would sweep Kobes boys..

Shaqes Finalists woudl kill dwights boys.....

even Mjs 80s boys would win against roses boys and Birds Celtics would eat alive current celtics...

English, Lever and complay would kill melos boys.