PDA

View Full Version : So far this is the worst Braves team i have seen in my life

AustinTheGreat
05-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Grant it im only 18 so the teams i have seen are limited. But i believe this team is by far the worst. I even liked our team last year with Tex better. I dont see this team having a chance at competing. ANd i hate to say that cuz i watch tons of sports and braves are #1 of all. But you have to be realistic. HOw many times have we said we are going back to the playoffs. Since 2005, we keep saying every year. One year away or this year we go back into the playoffs. Now im wondering if chipper will ever get back in to playoffs b/c this team is far away. We have a great group of Starting pitching. But our main problem is our position players. Our only solid players are Mccann and Chipper. And chipper is not the same as years ago. Less XBH , more AVG, less homers. Garrett anderson looks about done, by acquisition in my eyes so far but he was the best we could do. All these players are supporting players: shafer, diaz, GA, Kotchman, KJ, yunel...all would be hitting in 6-8 spots on any other team. Yunel cant keep batting 2nd with his Double plays. The frustration for this team is high. I seriously have never seen a brave team do worse.

ATLKoos16
05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I dont know if youve noticed, but they just took 6 of 8 on a road trip against division rivals. So they had two dead games, it happens to every team. They are 2 and a half games out and in third. I personally think Yunell is a good two hole hitter. He has been getting on base and acting as a leadoff hitter since we dont have one. He hasnt had many chances to hit into double plays lately has he?

Coach100
05-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Seems drastic.

I feel like with the Braves pitching and leadership, they are really just a leadoff man and a clean-up hitter away from being a playoff team. Now I understand that those are 2 tough things to find, but hear me out. KJ can be dealt to help bring in a power hitting LF. Infante gets 2B and leadoff. If the Braves want less Esco DP's, Esco can hit #1 with Infant #2.

The Braves don't need a 40+ HR guy, but they do need a 30-35 guy. That would mean Chipper saw more pitches and Mac would get more RBI chances. That also allows Frenchy and Kotch to just be RBI guys, not power guys.

If Schafer started to produce anything, that line-up would be decent. So I think saying they are way off is drastic. I think with one added piece and maybe a little shuffle, this team is as good as any in the NL East, especially with the best and deepest SP.

BRAVE KID
05-19-2009, 12:57 AM
it could be as easy as shuffling up the lineup to change this team, put KJ in a run driving situations, put schafer in lead-off spot and lets see what we have here..but staying the same will most likely not change a thing.

Coach100
05-19-2009, 01:02 AM
True dat, BK!

BRAVE KID
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM
I dont know if youve noticed, but they just took 6 of 8 on a road trip against division rivals. So they had two dead games, it happens to every team. They are 2 and a half games out and in third. I personally think Yunell is a good two hole hitter. He has been getting on base and acting as a leadoff hitter since we dont have one. He hasnt had many chances to hit into double plays lately has he?he is number 4 in the league for GIDP as a #2 hitter with 5. In the league though he is tied for 25 in total for GIDP's. So he does hit into a lot of DP's. Last year he hit into 24 DP's which tied him for #7.

baseballislife7
05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I totally agree with the changing of lead off hitters. Let Schafer try it out for a while. He can't do any worse than what we get from KJ. Another switch I think needs to be made is in the 4 whole. You can not have a batter batting 4th that has 0 homers. I think putting BMac behind Chipper will make Chippers numbers go up as well. I also think Frenchy isn't a 7 hitter (and his numbers prove that 2 for his last 25 in this spot). I think they need to split up some of the lefties in the middle. I know when I pitched in college and a team ran batters up there, that batted the same hand, it makes it easier to pitch. Most pitchers pitch away and if we have, like last night, 4 lefties in a row and 5 of the first six, it makes it easier for the pitcher to zone in on an area. May just be me but I believe this should be the line-up:

Schafer
Yunel
Chipper
BMac
Frenchy
Kotchman
Anderson
KJ
I know again a lot of lefties in a row, but I think Frenchy hits better in the middle and KJ near the bottom. Any of those last three you could switch around

ccugrad1
05-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Seems drastic.

I feel like with the Braves pitching and leadership, they are really just a leadoff man and a clean-up hitter away from being a playoff team. Now I understand that those are 2 tough things to find, but hear me out. KJ can be dealt to help bring in a power hitting LF. Infante gets 2B and leadoff. If the Braves want less Esco DP's, Esco can hit #1 with Infant #2.

The Braves don't need a 40+ HR guy, but they do need a 30-35 guy. That would mean Chipper saw more pitches and Mac would get more RBI chances. That also allows Frenchy and Kotch to just be RBI guys, not power guys.

If Schafer started to produce anything, that line-up would be decent. So I think saying they are way off is drastic. I think with one added piece and maybe a little shuffle, this team is as good as any in the NL East, especially with the best and deepest SP.

First off, I don't necessarily think too many teams are going to be lining up 30-35 HR guys for a guy who is batting .225 with 3 HR's and 11 RBI's. I think Bobby Cox must have a huge man-crush on him because how anybody continues to play him over a guy in Omar Infante who is batting .337 defies all logic IMO.

Secondly, Jeff Francouer might be the most over-rated flash in the pan I have ever seen. He is a prime example of what is wrong in Major League Baseball: Go down in every major statistical category, yet get a 700% raise. And with Casey Kotchman, you are talking about a guy, and granted his career is young, who has never hit more than 12 HR's and 68 RBI's at 1B, which is normally a power-hitting position.

And with Chipper "Puss" Jones, he has to play long enough to see pitches to hit. Can you imagine if he played catcher how much he'd be out.

As I said before, Florida and Atlanta will be flip-flopping for 3rd and 4th place for the majority of the season.

uncblue2332
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I really think we should try out yunel at the leadoff....Shafer cant handle it. In the last month shaf has hot .164 with 22 strikeouts in 55 abs. Yunel is our only option besides KJ. We then take the hot kotchman and put him in the 2 hole where a contact hitter like him could be great. Then french can move into the 6th and b-mac/dave ross can hit 4th.

1. Yunel Esco
2. Kotch
3. Chipp
4. B-Mac/Ross
5. GA
6. Frenchy
7. KJ
8. Shafer
9. Pitcher

Bobby isnt going to take jordan out so he is gunna have to stay in the 8 spot

AustinTheGreat
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
the thing is..we can say all this about changing the leadoff hitter. But does Bobby ever do this??? no. Thats what right now ihave no faith in this team. Just look at other team's lineup and then look at our pathetic lineup. we wont be able to contend with this team. They just arent good enough.

flea
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Lots of people on our team have had slow starts - that doesn't mean they suck. Baseball is 6 months long, not 1.5.

noname part5
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't say the team sucks, our starting pitching has been all right. Our offense just gives me rage. Everytime you hope for a big hit, it's either K or DP.

uncblue2332
05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
the thing is..we can say all this about changing the leadoff hitter. But does Bobby ever do this??? no. Thats what right now ihave no faith in this team. Just look at other team's lineup and then look at our pathetic lineup. we wont be able to contend with this team. They just arent good enough.

This is why I think bobby has to go

Why well Bobby Cox is an old school manager and its a new-blooded game now. Bobby never uses the speed we have and rarely uses the hit and run. What is the point of having shafer if you dont let him run. He also never switches the lineup around even when guys are struggling ala Jordan Shafer, Jeff Francouer, KJ. I think its time for Bobby to retire and hopefully we can get someone else in the offseason. Maybe we bring in Ned Yost, or Willlie Randolph. As long as we get a manager who will let our players run and change the lineup when needed I will be happy.

Fitzbros23
05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
booby cox has used speed nixon grissiom furcal???? those guys were pretty fast....yes schafer would be our lead off guy if he learn how to hit a inside fastball...that is his kryponite....and uncblue why would kotchman be a good fit at two he is a double man so double men are usally fifth or six....and if bobby retires he will reitre after next season after his contract is up...terry pendelton is our next manger bc he had a couple job offers but he turned them down for a reason...think about it?????

AustinTheGreat
05-19-2009, 11:04 PM
booby cox has used speed nixon grissiom furcal???? those guys were pretty fast....yes schafer would be our lead off guy if he learn how to hit a inside fastball...that is his kryponite....and uncblue why would kotchman be a good fit at two he is a double man so double men are usally fifth or six....and if bobby retires he will reitre after next season after his contract is up...terry pendelton is our next manger bc he had a couple job offers but he turned them down for a reason...think about it?????

Nixon, grissom, furcal...u are talking about players 4+ years ago. And by the way when we last went into the playoffs we had furcal. Does that mean something...we need Stolen bases. Its a whole offensive tool that this team just ignores and doesnt even try to do. We are dead last in stolen bases with 7...seven...thats pathetic. We have seen fowler , crawford, and werth have more than half of that in a game. Last year we were 4th to last. 2007- 5th to last. 2006- 2nd to last....this is a major need yet bobby doesnt have the jewels to steal in my opinion b/c hes to conservative.

AustinTheGreat
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Lots of people on our team have had slow starts - that doesn't mean they suck. Baseball is 6 months long, not 1.5.

i know that. But do u seriously look at the team and say they will be that much better?

uncblue2332
05-20-2009, 07:23 AM

well austin is right all of those guys were 4 years ago or more and we have been the worst baserunnning team in baseball since. We also havent been to the playoffs since. That obviously says enough right there and kotchman batted 2nd in LA and was doing great he either batted 6th or 2nd in LA and did well in both spots with our lineup we need him at 2 and frenchy at 6

Terry Pendelton is not manager material right now. If you want to continue were we have been recently (under 500 and out of the playoffs) then you hire Terry Pendelton but if you want to get better and be back in the playoffs you need to go outside of the organization

AustinTheGreat
05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Ya i dont think Terry Pendelton is manager material either. I dont particularly like him. Frenchy went to Texas so he could work with a different batting coach. I know hes the best but still, i havent heard many amzing things about him. I wish we could of kept Fredi gonzalez, i like him. And what about Ned Yost. Where is he at?

nps6724
05-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Ya i dont think Terry Pendelton is manager material either. I dont particularly like him. Frenchy went to Texas so he could work with a different batting coach. I know hes the best but still, i havent heard many amzing things about him. I wish we could of kept Fredi gonzalez, i like him. And what about Ned Yost. Where is he at?

I'd love to get Fredi back. He's shown he can win with nothing but prospects. I wouldn't judge TP on what you've seen because some guys are better at managing than they are as a coach. And Frenchy's trip to Texas has already worn off and all he is now is a .260 singles hitter. I doubt that Texas HC is going to use Jeff as an example of his work anytime soon.

uncblue2332
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM

Like I said in a post earlier Ned Yost and Willie Randolph are the two best available managers and I would really like to have Willie because I know he uses speed on the basepaths alot.

AustinTheGreat
05-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Like I said in a post earlier Ned Yost and Willie Randolph are the two best available managers and I would really like to have Willie because I know he uses speed on the basepaths alot.

Yes id like one of them. Yost first tho cuz hes a former brave. I just dont see pendelton becoming a manger , i just dont like him. I dont want this to seem like a post of a fan just jumping off the bandwagon b/c of a couple loses and naive. I know baseball is a long season. I know we arent out of it stats wise. If this team played perfect and everyone produced like they can then we would have a chance. But..ever since 2005, every year we are convinced that this year we will go back and we will be successful. It was what 2 years ago when espn had that big article predicting braves to win the world series? That got my hopes soaring..then once again we werent good enough. With this team when i look at it, i just dont see enough. Our pitching is great...maybe the best if we get Hansan, medlan, KK, mayb glavine comes back, hudson late season or maybe next season. Our SP is great dont get me wrong but our batters are below average. Almost all of them.

Fitzbros23
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
i agree austin by i am saying when bobby has speed he does use it. that was my whole point and bobby just uses what he has....he is not the gm

bigmj
05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
And what about Ned Yost. Where is he at?

I just wondered that myself last night...after being replaced in September by the Brewers, I never heard his name resurface.

SB75
05-20-2009, 02:52 PM
It seems to me this team just lacks a quality lead off hitter, some with speed and the ability to get on base constantly. I like Kelley but he seems better suited for the #2 spot in the order. Love Esco, but he seems better suited for the #2 or 3. The pitching will work itself out. Just got to get some one to put pressure on the other team at the top of the line-up.