PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets, WWE in conflict over Pepsi Center -UPDATE- Game 4 bumps WWE out

superkegger
05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuI9DjqzJfvynagKViWMP7q8vLYF?slug=ap-nba-wweconflict&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kobe Bryant(notes) and the Los Angeles Lakers are scheduled to be at the Pepsi Center in Denver next Monday night.

Problem is, so are John Cena and a bunch of wrestlers.

World Wrestling Entertainment says it is booked at the arena for an episode of Monday Night Raw, the same night the Nuggets are slated to host the Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

WWE spokesman Robert Zimmerman says the organization secured the Pepsi Center last Aug. 15 and has already sold more than 10,000 tickets for the event. He says the organization expects a sellout, with tickets ranging from $20 to $70.

“Even though the Denver Nuggets had a strong team this year and were projected to make the playoffs, obviously Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke did not have enough faith in his own team to hold the May 25th date for a potential playoff game,” WWE chairman Vince McMahon said in a statement.

Denver is usually done with basketball by now. The Nuggets had lost in the first round five straight years, but as the No. 2 seed in the West are in the conference finals for the first time since 1985.

The Nuggets referred comment to the NBA, which handles scheduling during the playoffs. NBA spokesman Mark Broussard said the league was looking into the conflict.

Zimmerman said the Pepsi Center confirmed in March with the WWE that the organization wanted to keep the May 25 date, and sent a contract on April 15— the final night of the regular season—which WWE signed and returned. Tickets went on sale April 11.

The conflict didn’t arise until Sunday, when the Lakers beat the Houston Rockets in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals. Had the Rockets won, Denver would have had home-court advantage in the next round, hosting Games 1 and 2 and putting the May 25 game in Houston.

As of Monday afternoon, the schedule on the Pepsi Center’s Web site listed WWE for 6:30 p.m. local time and Western Conference finals Game 4 at 7 p.m. Tickets for the wrestling event could still be purchased online.

I'm sure it will be worked out, but kind of an interesting situation.

Ragun
05-18-2009, 07:43 PM
move the playoff game to tuesday or somethin

superkegger
05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
move the playoff game to tuesday or somethin

well, the NBA has it so there's a game every day, and then they have to push all the games subsequent to that back another day, putting all the games (if there are still games in both conference finals, which I assume there will) from game 4 to potential game 7's on the same day

ponderingpluto
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
they could put the rasslin at the donkeys statium, outside brawlin hell ya! Stone Cold forever!!!

JayW_1023
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
The WWE wrestlers can serve as a halftime entertainment.

Kakaroach
05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
The WWE wrestlers can serve as a halftime entertainment. x2 I like that idea.

Randy West
05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
set the ring up and have the game played around the wrestling ring that would be a first.........not.

They will figure it out as I am sure the owners of the arena would love to pack the house for both events.

VCaintdead17
05-18-2009, 07:58 PM

that's actually a good idea.

JayW_1023
05-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I bet Rey Mysterio can do a 619 through a basketball hoop...would be something to see.

If the refs made awful calls a coach can send out a wrestler to complain for him. I bet Joey Crawford would rather choke on his whistle than endure a chokeslam at the hands of Kane.

I'm sure Jack wouldn't mind seeing how he is a fan of both the WWE and the Lakers.

J$mo0th_3o5
05-18-2009, 08:05 PM

:laugh: Imagine that.

Raidaz4Life
05-18-2009, 08:06 PM
LMAO this is absolutely hilarious

superkegger
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
that's actually a good idea.

except it's not.

If you're serious, you're not looking at the whole issue.

While I'm sure there would be some fans in attendance a the Lakers-Nuggets game who would also go to the WWE event. You can't just do both in one event, because the Pepsi center then loses revenue for one. And since I'm sure because of the contract they signed with the WWE for the event has legal ramifications, they can't just say, tough **** to the WWE and not hold that even there.

Plus I believe the WWE events take like 2-3 hours. So you can't hold both events at the same time, or really even on the same night, as I'm sure the set up and tear down for the WWE event takes several hours.

I'm interested to see what happens, because I don't think the Pepsi Center can just say, sorry WWE, you're out of a venue, without some legal and financial ramifications.

Cromedome
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
K-mart and Triple - H in a cage match to decide who gets to use the arena for the night.

FaceDown91
05-18-2009, 08:08 PM

that's too nice. the way wwe are now these days, more like during the 20 sec timeout.

JayW_1023
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if David Stern ended up being slammed through the broadcasting table?

KB24PG16
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
they could just forfeit the game :shrug:

shep33
05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
DJ Mbenga and Fisher vs. Kmart and JR Smith for the Tag team Championship
Kobe Vs. Chauncy for the World Heavyweight Title
Birdman vs. Odom for the Intercontinental title
Stern vs. McMahon

tr4shb0t
05-18-2009, 08:23 PM
guess they'll have to play 3 in a row in LA. oh well

gswlal
05-18-2009, 08:24 PM
forget the wrestlers fight
lets see the nba players fight lol

king4day
05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm glad vince said what he did.
Classless move by schedule makers.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm a fan of both NBA and WWE.

I think it is only fair they move the playoff game since WWE had already booked it before them.

I am more into basketball however and would rather watch basketball but WWE booked it first.

dre1990
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
move aside for the real sport...

FaceDown91
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
is it possible for the lakers to win in 3 now? :laugh2:

Raps18-19 Champ
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
They should just move the game to Tuesday.

Punkindrublic03
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
WWE can GTFO

Fool
05-18-2009, 09:21 PM
You could just put it at Staples? :p

Driven
05-18-2009, 09:26 PM
The WWE booked the event back in August 2008 I believe. They're saying it's going to be a sellout (whether it will be or not I don't know). They've been offered an alternative location to film RAW, but it's a smaller venue which would cause fans being turned down.

They weren't given much notice so they couldn't tape the event a week or two in advance.

Chances are RAW will be canceled and they'll play the Nuggets game, but the WWE should have the right to continue their show.

Wilson
05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
well, the NBA has it so there's a game every day, and then they have to push all the games subsequent to that back another day, putting all the games (if there are still games in both conference finals, which I assume there will) from game 4 to potential game 7's on the same day

They could just bump both games back by a day...that seems like the best thing to me. We'll just have to go one day without a play-off game...

bahama0811
05-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Couldn't care less about the WWE. Let's play the game so the Nuggs can be up 3-1.

Fool
05-18-2009, 09:29 PM
They could just bump both games back by a day...that seems like the best thing to me. We'll just have to go one day without a play-off game...

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Tragedy
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Why doesn't WWE just tape the program earlier in the day, say, at 3? 3-5ish, and then they can get the game prepared for the Nuggets/Lakers.

Driven
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure how it works, but I think the television companies have to agree to this as well. And if it hurts ratings they may not.

superkegger
05-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Why doesn't WWE just tape the program earlier in the day, say, at 3? 3-5ish, and then they can get the game prepared for the Nuggets/Lakers.

because how many fans will then not be able to make it to the event that paid for tickets?

Driven
05-18-2009, 09:39 PM
because how many fans will then not be able to make it to the event that paid for tickets?
On top of that, it changes the workers day. It's not like they just show up at 9 PM (well 6 or 7 PM in this case) and it all begins. It's a full work day. And wrestlers need to travel and prepare. The writers have to write. The production crew has to set up.

DirtyThirty
05-18-2009, 09:43 PM
have a 1 oclock basketball game then a night wrestling that would be kinda cool IMO

bahama0811
05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
have a 1 oclock basketball game then a night wrestling that would be kinda cool IMO

Sure it would be cool if it was on a Saturday or Sunday but not a weekday. Everyone would miss the game because of work, or all the businesses in the city would have everyone call in sick.

JordansBulls
05-18-2009, 10:04 PM

A bunch of men in thongs.

No thanks!!

JordansBulls
05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Why would they be using a NBA arena during the playoffs anyway?

They could just use an arena that has no sport happening at that time.

Driven
05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Why would they be using a NBA arena during the playoffs anyway?

They could just use an arena that has no sport happening at that time.
So the arena is supposed to not book anything for two months? That's ridiculous.

There's two main sports that use an arena - basketball and hockey. Both are going on. Both are on for about 8 months during the year.

KingOf215
05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
The obvious solution is a steel cage match between David Stern and Vince McMahon with the arena contract suspended over the cage. DUH.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
You can't have both shows during 1 day. Even if they aren't at the same time. It takes a long time to take down the ring, ramp, titatron and lights they have.

Wilson
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure how it works, but I think the television companies have to agree to this as well. And if it hurts ratings they may not.

I didn't think of the television companies. Is there another arena in the area where the Nuggets could play a game? Why don't they do it on a playground? It's dry and sunny in Denver right?

The obvious solution is a steel cage match between David Stern and Vince McMahon with the arena contract suspended over the cage. DUH.

Stern would get his *** kicked really badly. You'd probably also have the rest of the McMahons beating on the Rev. Stu Jackson...

Teeboy1487
05-18-2009, 10:50 PM
The nba should just move the game up to 3:30pm ET on abc because it's memorial day next week so I'm sure people will be off from work to watch. Also, kids should be out for the summer. The game should be over at 5 and the wwe could take over from there. The nba could call that game a memorial day special or something. That way every one is happy.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
u guys are missing the best part. It shows how much faith the owner had in the Nuggets lol

KeithLBC
05-18-2009, 10:56 PM
So the arena is supposed to not book anything for two months? That's ridiculous.

There's two main sports that use an arena - basketball and hockey. Both are going on. Both are on for about 8 months during the year.

Actually, the Avs havn't been playing for a few weeks now. They didn't make the playoffs this year. This just shows how much faith the owner had in his team.

braveniler58
05-18-2009, 11:09 PM
It doesn't matter if you're a fan of the WWE or not. I haven't watched WWE in years, but they booked the arena first, they should get it. It's Denver's fault for allowing a potential scheduling conflict occur anyway.

The NBA needs to change the date, the WWE got it first. Plain and simple.

Denver-boy
05-18-2009, 11:21 PM
They can have both

Kenyon Mom and Kenyon Vs. Cuban handicap Cagematch Half time show! Theirs a compromise :D

still1ballin
05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
They can have both

Kenyon Mom and Kenyon Vs. Cuban handicap Cagematch Half time show! Theirs a compromise :D

Your sig doesn't make sense.

"Kobe Can't Win the Nuggets without Shaq"

Use better sentence structure next time:eyebrow:

DenButsu
05-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry, Vince, but Stan will win this. There's a real sport to be played in the Pepsi Center that night, and that trumps entertainment.

superkegger
05-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Sorry, Vince, but Stan will win this. There's a real sport to be played in the Pepsi Center that night, and that trumps entertainment.

And the NBA isn't just as much about entertainment as it is about sport?

kblo247
05-18-2009, 11:37 PM
The nuggets don't deserve the arena if their ownership lacked the common sense to reserve the dates and work something out with WWE well before a week before the show is scheduled.

Denver Execs screwed up; plain and simple

WWE and Vince McMahon are in the right and the Nuggets are in the wrong.

Without a quick resolution, McMahon plans to send his trucks to Denver.

"That's what we intend to do," he said. "We're going to show up."

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...70_480X360.jpg

Jay22Redd
05-18-2009, 11:39 PM
They just didnt have confidence in their team to make it that far. But hey, im glad they did. I love seeing Denver play.

kblo247
05-18-2009, 11:43 PM
They are talking about parking lot Raw because they have the rights to the arena.

Where would the people park if that happens?

Driven
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
They are talking about parking lot Raw because they have the rights to the arena.

Where would the people park if that happens?
Huh?

DenButsu
05-18-2009, 11:54 PM
And the NBA isn't just as much about entertainment as it is about sport?

Not at its core. Basketball itself is, at least, a real sport, even if the Superman and Kryptonate bull**** isn't.

kblo247
05-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Doing Raw live in the parking lot while the game goes on is something they talked about in thei WWE Universe site.

The catch is that ESPN and the NBA couldn't show the outside of the arena because the WWE owns the rights to their own likenesses, talent, and images because if they do they would get sued.

It would basically be Vince saying I got bigger balls than you Stern.

Punkindrublic03
05-19-2009, 12:00 AM
your sig doesn't make sense.

"kobe can't win the nuggets without shaq"

use better sentence structure next time:eyebrow:

lol

superkegger
05-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Not at its core. Basketball itself is, at least, a real sport, even if the Superman and Kryptonate bull**** isn't.

Well, I think the core has been wittled away. With coach interviews at timeouts, the rules change to give the offensive players the advantages they do, the incredible amount of marketing that goes into the drama aspect of the game, and so on. I mean, the playoffs were extended rounds and then to 4 rounds of 7 games. It's about money, marketing and entertainment with basketball as the stage for that entertainment.

Driven
05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Doing Raw live in the parking lot while the game goes on is something they talked about in thei WWE Universe site.

The catch is that ESPN and the NBA couldn't show the outside of the arena because the WWE owns the rights to their own likenesses, talent, and images because if they do they would get sued.

It would basically be Vince saying I got bigger balls than you Stern.
I'd like so see them perform in a parking lot that's packed with a sellout basketball crowd and a sellout wrestling crowd. That's a lot of people.

aNYer
05-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Triple H should come out talkin **** about taking the spot over and Melo should do a run in and hit em with a chair shot. Crowd goes crazy, cue player intros

JMG15
05-19-2009, 12:15 AM
k-mart and triple - h in a cage match to decide who gets to use the arena for the night.

+1

Raidaz4Life
05-19-2009, 12:20 AM
I say the nuggets should just forfeit that game to us:up:

Kannon81
05-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Signed contract that allows the WWE the stadium for the night. Breach of contract would result in millions lost by the Denver Nuggets. Tickets sales, Merchandise sales, Food sales, and Ratings. I don't think The Nuggets owners want to part with that much money. Plus Vince is an *** he will not stop until he wins, how do you think he became as rich as he is?

kblo247
05-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Vince sending the Nugget's owner a Lakers jersey is funny, and it looks like Stern and the NBA said that it is on the Nuggets because they didn't present the date as being booked beforehand.

From PWInsider

With the buzz surrounding the conflict for next Monday night in Denver with Raw scheduled to run at the Pepsi Center and the Nuggets and Lakers scheduled to play Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals at the same time, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon appeared on ESPNEWS to talk about the situation.

Jonathan Coachman conducted the interview with his former boss. Coach mentions that Vince is never one to step down from a fight. Coachman mentions that next week’s Raw at the Pepsi Center was booked in August, but the contract was not signed until April.
Vince says that Stan Kroenke should be arrested for impersonating a good businessman for booking a WWE television show when their team would not have been in the playoffs. Vince suggests that the fans of the Nuggets had more faith in the team than their management. Vince says that it is not good business to not support your own team. It is also not good business to throw the WWE out on its ear when there were no tentative dates or provisions in the contract that they signed.

Coach mentions a statement from the Nuggets that they were trying to deal with the conflict. Coachman asks Vince what they are trying to do to work things out and Vince suggests a steel cage match against Kroenke. He says that it will settle everything.

Coach asks if Vince will be in Denver on Monday. Vince says that the WWE trucks are on the way to Denver and it looks like there are going to be two events in the Pepsi Center.

Vince says that the person at fault is Stan Kroenke. Vince says that it is unfair for the way that he treated the Nuggets fans and the WWE. He says that it is not fair to book the WWE event at the same time as the NBA playoffs.

Vince holds up a Lakers shirt and says that he wants to personally give it to Mr. Kroenke.

Coachman asks Vince if they will go to the NBA to resolve this problem. Vince says that NBA put it back in the Nuggets’ court because the Nuggets never presented it to the NBA as a booked date for scheduling purposes.

Vince McMahon came off well while it seemed at times that Vince was cutting a promo with the number of times that he mentioned Stan Kroenke’s name. It looks like it could be a very eventful Memorial Day in Denver.

Book: Vince and Shane vs Stern, Jackson, and the Nuggets owner - winner gets the arena

Driven
05-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Signed contract that allows the WWE the stadium for the night. Breach of contract would result in millions lost by the Denver Nuggets. Tickets sales, Merchandise sales, Food sales, and Ratings. I don't think The Nuggets owners want to part with that much money. Plus Vince is an *** he will not stop until he wins, how do you think he became as rich as he is?
True Vince isn't going to back down, but I probably wouldn't either. If I had the rights and the power that the WWE has, I'd do the same thing he is. Especially because it's too late for him to do anything else really. It's either gonna get canceled or his show will go on.

CityofTreez
05-19-2009, 12:23 AM
This will get cleared up quickly.

Driven
05-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Vince sending the Nugget's owner a Lakers jersey is funny, and it looks like Stern and the NBA said that it is on the Nuggets because they didn't present the date as being booked beforehand.

Book: Vince and Shane vs Stern, Jackson, and the Nuggets owner - winner gets the arena
That's hilarious that the Coach interviewed him.

I think the WWE's gonna win this one.

Kannon81
05-19-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't see how it would be cleared quickly. WWE has to go live on monday. I would love to see them set up in the parking lot and have no parking for the nuggets fans.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
It is basically

NBA/ESPN(Disney)/Nuggets/their advertisers

versus

WWE/USA(NBC-Universal)/Their advertisers

Pepsi has a problem because it is their arena that is the Nuggets home and they just signed a deal with WWE to have their worker endorse their main product. They are caught in the middle.

Driven
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Here's the video on ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4176082

superkegger
05-19-2009, 12:33 AM
It is basically

NBA/ESPN(Disney)/Nuggets/their advertisers

versus

WWE/USA(NBC-Universal)/Their advertisers

Pepsi has a problem because it is their arena that is the Nuggets home and they just signed a deal with WWE to have their worker endorse their main product. They are caught in the middle.

Well, it kinda sounds like the NBA has somewhat stepped back from the situation.

Vince says that NBA put it back in the Nuggets’ court because the Nuggets never presented it to the NBA as a booked date for scheduling purposes.

While that's Vince McMahon talking, if what he says is true, the NBA is basically saying to the Nuggets, you ****ed up, you fix it. You take the loss in revenue, or figure something out.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Found This - Vince Wins and Raw will go on while Game 3 gets moved :clap:

This is fitting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftJtO_bKw0

Breaking News! Raw NOT Cancelled!
http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/yerofe

Cancelled
Date TBA NBA Round 3 Playoffs - Home Game 4
Pepsi Center - Denver

http://www.pepsicenter.com/Events/Event.aspx?eid=pqlh/9z9g0w=

I respect Vince sticking to his guns and saying you cannot punk me.

superkegger
05-19-2009, 12:39 AM

This is fitting:

Cancelled
Pepsi Center - Denver

http://www.pepsicenter.com/Events/Ev...d=pqlh/9z9g0w=

Interesting....

Driven
05-19-2009, 12:40 AM

This is fitting:

Cancelled
Pepsi Center - Denver

http://www.pepsicenter.com/Events/Ev...d=pqlh/9z9g0w=

last link doesn't work. I find i hilarious that the Nuggets owner can sign the WWE in April for a show in May.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 12:43 AM
I fixed the link and it said booked last year, but inked this year. They basically gave them room to make up their minds and see any conflicting events.

Wilson
05-19-2009, 01:04 AM

From PWInsider

With the buzz surrounding the conflict for next Monday night in Denver with Raw scheduled to run at the Pepsi Center and the Nuggets and Lakers scheduled to play Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals at the same time, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon appeared on ESPNEWS to talk about the situation.

Jonathan Coachman conducted the interview with his former boss. Coach mentions that Vince is never one to step down from a fight. Coachman mentions that next week’s Raw at the Pepsi Center was booked in August, but the contract was not signed until April.
Vince says that Stan Kroenke should be arrested for impersonating a good businessman for booking a WWE television show when their team would not have been in the playoffs. Vince suggests that the fans of the Nuggets had more faith in the team than their management. Vince says that it is not good business to not support your own team. It is also not good business to throw the WWE out on its ear when there were no tentative dates or provisions in the contract that they signed.

Coach mentions a statement from the Nuggets that they were trying to deal with the conflict. Coachman asks Vince what they are trying to do to work things out and Vince suggests a steel cage match against Kroenke. He says that it will settle everything.

Coach asks if Vince will be in Denver on Monday. Vince says that the WWE trucks are on the way to Denver and it looks like there are going to be two events in the Pepsi Center.

Vince says that the person at fault is Stan Kroenke. Vince says that it is unfair for the way that he treated the Nuggets fans and the WWE. He says that it is not fair to book the WWE event at the same time as the NBA playoffs.

Vince holds up a Lakers shirt and says that he wants to personally give it to Mr. Kroenke.

Coachman asks Vince if they will go to the NBA to resolve this problem. Vince says that NBA put it back in the Nuggets’ court because the Nuggets never presented it to the NBA as a booked date for scheduling purposes.

Vince McMahon came off well while it seemed at times that Vince was cutting a promo with the number of times that he mentioned Stan Kroenke’s name. It looks like it could be a very eventful Memorial Day in Denver.

Oh man, that was hard to read...

kblo247
05-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Oh man, that was hard to read...

Put it this way: Vince wins and LA might just get an extra day of rest :)

Bucsfan
05-19-2009, 01:13 AM
will be interesting to see how it plays out, how long are wwe events? i dont think they could change the time of either, because people bought tickets to either event at a specific time, even though most people will be off next monday can you imagine the pepsi center having to arrange two events in one day? that would suck

lakersfan211
05-19-2009, 01:20 AM
batista vs kenyon martin and santina marella vs phil jackson

superkegger
05-19-2009, 01:20 AM
this whole situation still cracks me up. especially what vince had to say, just cracked me up hardcore.

lakersfan211
05-19-2009, 01:22 AM
and in the main event the 2 biggest stars in their sport kobe vs cena.

avsman05
05-19-2009, 01:23 AM
It would probably tAke the changeout teams a while to change the arena around for both events I'm thinking budweiser event center or world arena is needed to make wwe happy

Driven
05-19-2009, 01:28 AM
will be interesting to see how it plays out, how long are wwe events? i dont think they could change the time of either, because people bought tickets to either event at a specific time, even though most people will be off next monday can you imagine the pepsi center having to arrange two events in one day? that would suck
3+ hours. They'll do an untelevised match, a match or two for their Thursday show, and then about 2 hours and 10 minutes for Monday Night RAW.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 01:31 AM
I wonder if the WWE's ring crew and the Nuggets crew would be willing to work together and transform the arena from a Denver game in the afternoon to a WWE arena at night?

The Nuggets should play in the afternoon, and and have their crew help the WWE crew set up free of charge for a show at night which they have to have for USA who is cable's number 1 network. If that isn't enough, the owner should hire extra hands for them since he screwed up.

Driven
05-19-2009, 01:33 AM
I wonder if the WWE's ring crew and the Nuggets crew would be willing to work together and transform the arena from a Denver game in the afternoon to a WWE arena at night?

The Nuggets should play in the afternoon, and and have their crew help the WWE crew set up free of charge for a show at night which they have to have for USA who is cable's number 1 network. If that isn't enough, the owner should hire extra hands for them since he screwed up.
The WWE starts setting up at 8 AM. It takes them a ton of time to set up and prepare for a show at 9 PM EST.

avsman05
05-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Rotoworld is saying wwe sold over 10k tickets but nuggets r still going to play as scheduled

Driven
WWE.com: How is the set transported from each venue to the next?

JR: From show to show, we load the set onto 14 semi-trucks. We travel 300 miles every night to get to the next show. We start unloading the set around 8:00 a.m. Fourteen hours later, we have a live event.

WWE.com: How many people are required to break down and assemble the set for each venue?

JR: Our crew consists of about 24 people who travel with us all the time, including lighting, set, ring, ramp, pyro, audio, set and rigging people. They do the shows every day, every week. They do it all, including every pay-per-view event we do. Plus, everywhere we go, we hire about 60 local stage hands. So, this massive team of guys hits the arena in the morning, and the work like ants all afternoon until we hit rehearsals around 3:30 p.m. After we do our show and go off the air, all those guys go right back to work. What took us eight hours to set up, goes right back into the trucks in about 2-1/2 hours.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/6251602

Driven
Rotoworld is saying wwe sold over 10k tickets but nuggets r still going to play as scheduled
That was posted at 6:30PM and was just taken from the original source.

FOBolous
05-19-2009, 01:37 AM
wow what a big mess

avsman05
05-19-2009, 01:38 AM
My bad on iPhone and just went to last page

kblo247
05-19-2009, 01:41 AM
wow what a big mess

Yes, but I would love to the arena separated into 2 with the seats taken out.

Half for the Raw / Half for the WCF - being simulcasted at the same time

I would watch it just to see how awkward it would be for a NBA team to play half court 5 on 5 and for Raw to not have its runway.

---------------------------------

Seriously though, I want to see how they work this out while keeping up both of their television obligations

dodie53
05-19-2009, 01:44 AM
someone is going to get fired

Driven
05-19-2009, 02:20 AM
The Nuggets are going to have to do one of two things:

1. Come to an agreement with the WWE beforehand. The WWE would get some cash and they'd relocate to the Denver Coliseum.

2. Go on and play the game. But this would just be a mess. The WWE would show up at 8 AM for their show. They'd be kicked out. They'd try to set up in the parking lot or something. They'd be kicked out there too. But it would cause a ruckus and the WWE would make a **** load of money off of the Nuggets.

I hope #2 happens, for entertainment purposes.

Tragedy
05-19-2009, 02:23 AM
On top of that, it changes the workers day. It's not like they just show up at 9 PM (well 6 or 7 PM in this case) and it all begins. It's a full work day. And wrestlers need to travel and prepare. The writers have to write. The production crew has to set up.
I don't see how anyone would be effected by starting it earlier. The wrestlers themselves have the morning to discuss the days activities, and the writers know in advance the situation, so they'll be prepared rather than write the final script JUST before 9 PM (like a regular show).

More shats!
05-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Watch how Vince Macmahon owns the Nuggets Owner.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 02:36 AM
I don't see how anyone would be effected by starting it earlier. The wrestlers themselves have the morning to discuss the days activities, and the writers know in advance the situation, so they'll be prepared rather than write the final script JUST before 9 PM (like a regular show).

The whole point of Raw is that it is live except when overseas for obvious reasons.

USA pays the WWE big money to keep it live and they have them, NBC, and Universal execs to keep happy as well.

After being on for almost 16 years they have earned the right to be respected for their success. They are a business just like the Nuggets and at the end of the day the WWE and their people in charge didn't make the mistake and shouldn't be penalized for it.

TheBlackHole
05-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Well isn't it primarily the Nuggets arena, so wouldn't they get first dibs? Not to mention it would screw with the whole playoffs.

More shats!
05-19-2009, 02:38 AM
The Nuggets are going to have to do one of two things:

1. Come to an agreement with the WWE beforehand. The WWE would get some cash and they'd relocate to the Denver Coliseum.

2. Go on and play the game. But this would just be a mess. The WWE would show up at 8 AM for their show. They'd be kicked out. They'd try to set up in the parking lot or something. They'd be kicked out there too. But it would cause a ruckus and the WWE would make a **** load of money off of the Nuggets.

I hope #2 happens, for entertainment purposes.

Vince and WWE would love to see the second one happen just to take the NBA and the Nuggets to court. Vince is a sick dude and going to war with him is not a good idea for anyone.

Driven
05-19-2009, 02:40 AM
It takes nearly 3 hours to take down the WWE set and production and everything. There has to be some space in between the end of the WWE leaving, and the NBA setting up for their event. Let's give them two hours. The game starts at 7 PM there. So if it's a 3 hour WWE event, you're looking at an 11 AM start time. If it takes 8 hours to set up, they're going to have to get there at 3 AM. The RAW wrestlers have a 5 PM event the night before.

I don't see why the WWE would do this.

GoatMilk
05-19-2009, 02:40 AM
McMahon's interview on ESPNEWS makes this look really really ugly

Driven
05-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Well isn't it primarily the Nuggets arena, so wouldn't they get first dibs? Not to mention it would screw with the whole playoffs.
The WWE booked the arena in August and signed the booking on the last day of the NBA Regular season.

Driven
05-19-2009, 02:42 AM
He's just doing this for publicity and milking the whole situation for all it's worth.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 02:42 AM

He has every right to be upset, and any good biz man would milk the situation for all it's worth.

The company itself uses the night time to hide returning stars as well and have been advertising and dropping hints at some of their stars returning (HHH, HBK, Kennedy) from breaks and injuries.

USA also does not like for people to mess with them because of the fact that they are the reason for USA being the #1 cable network and for the simple fact that they know that they have 1 of the highest rated shows on cable.

The wrestlers also have daily routines for their taped shows, and the WWE has events scheduled for the days around Monday.

More shats!
05-19-2009, 02:45 AM
The game got cancelled

Driven
05-19-2009, 02:49 AM
There's another game 4 link on there with the date 5/25 at 7 PM. And I don't think the game can be canceled because the NBA is staying out of this and leaving it in the Nuggets' hands.

TheBlackHole
05-19-2009, 02:50 AM
The game got cancelled

Wwell that sucks.

DenButsu
05-19-2009, 02:51 AM
The game got cancelled

The game isn't cancelled - it's not as if it won't be played.

Until there's an official announcement from the NBA/Nuggets/Lakers, please don't post stuff like that based on ticketmaster, who is not calling the shots here.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 03:04 AM
It may sound crazy, but if the contract WWE signed has no cancellation clause it is their right to get and file a legal injunction to stop the Nuggets from playing in the arena on that day.

It would make them look powerful in a biz sense and at the same time would make an example out of Denver and stop this from happening again.

DenButsu
05-19-2009, 03:16 AM
LOS ANGELES — The Nuggets will indeed play at Pepsi Center on Monday, upset the wrong people — notably "The Animal," "The Legend Killer" and, most-frightening of all, Vince McMahon.

Pepsi Center originally booked a World Wrestling Entertainment "Monday Night Raw" event for Memorial Day, but with the Nuggets in their first conference finals since 1985, the Pepsi Center had to bump the wrestlers. The Nuggets will play Game 4 that night, according to Paul Andrews, the executive vice president of Kroenke Sports Enterprises.

But McMahon, the WWE chairman, has a show to put on — as well as a live international broadcast—- and now he has no venue.

"I'm up the creek, and I don't have a paddle either — I really don't know what to do," McMahon said Monday by phone. "We can't reschedule the event. We can't get out there as often as we would like for a television event, because we're the second-largest traveling show in the world to Ringling Brothers. The amount of equipment we have is extraordinary."

There have already been 10,000 tickets sold to the event and McMahon said he expects a sellout. WWE secured the Pepsi Center Aug. 15 and as recently as April 15, a week before the No. 2 seed Nuggets entered the playoffs, a the Pepsi Center sent a contract to WWE.

"There's no provision in the contract whatsoever that states we could be preempted," McMahon said. "We would have never played the date if we known we could be preempted. We've been working around NBA dates for a long, long time, and had we know that this was going to be something unceremoniously thrown out on, we never would have taken the date on a tentative basis. We don't do that."

Andrews said the Pepsi Center is working to reschedule the event.

As for McMahon, who is currently in Louisville for an event, he will have to make a decision possibly in the next 24 hours about where to take his traveling show.

"I don't have any idea what I'm going to do, whether I'm going to produce a show out of a parking lot somewhere," he said. "I have no idea what's going to happen." Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12398873)

kblo247
05-19-2009, 03:29 AM
LOS ANGELES — The Nuggets will indeed play at Pepsi Center on Monday, upset the wrong people — notably "The Animal," "The Legend Killer" and, most-frightening of all, Vince McMahon.

Pepsi Center originally booked a World Wrestling Entertainment "Monday Night Raw" event for Memorial Day, but with the Nuggets in their first conference finals since 1985, the Pepsi Center had to bump the wrestlers. The Nuggets will play Game 4 that night, according to Paul Andrews, the executive vice president of Kroenke Sports Enterprises.

But McMahon, the WWE chairman, has a show to put on — as well as a live international broadcast—- and now he has no venue.

"I'm up the creek, and I don't have a paddle either — I really don't know what to do," McMahon said Monday by phone. "We can't reschedule the event. We can't get out there as often as we would like for a television event, because we're the second-largest traveling show in the world to Ringling Brothers. The amount of equipment we have is extraordinary."

There have already been 10,000 tickets sold to the event and McMahon said he expects a sellout. WWE secured the Pepsi Center Aug. 15 and as recently as April 15, a week before the No. 2 seed Nuggets entered the playoffs, a the Pepsi Center sent a contract to WWE.

"There's no provision in the contract whatsoever that states we could be preempted," McMahon said. "We would have never played the date if we known we could be preempted. We've been working around NBA dates for a long, long time, and had we know that this was going to be something unceremoniously thrown out on, we never would have taken the date on a tentative basis. We don't do that."

Andrews said the Pepsi Center is working to reschedule the event.

As for McMahon, who is currently in Louisville for an event, he will have to make a decision possibly in the next 24 hours about where to take his traveling show.

"I don't have any idea what I'm going to do, whether I'm going to produce a show out of a parking lot somewhere," he said. "I have no idea what's going to happen."

That is also important to note with his legal team

Driven
05-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Well that's dumb how they just bumped them.

kblo247
05-19-2009, 03:36 AM
Well that's dumb how they just bumped them.

Dumb and possibly illegal depending on the contract. If they don't have a clause in favor of the NBA and Nuggets I see Vince getting news one of two ways.

Money or History

Money - He can make them pay him off,

History - He can brag on his "Did You Know" that the WWE is the first company to make the NBA cancel or even forfeit a schedule Western Conference Championship game for Raw

If their is no clause in their contract that allows them to be bumped, Vince could strut into a court room with his attorneys and strut out with an injunction that the courts would have to grant him to hold Raw and cancel the game.

The fact is that one Raw is worth millions with their deals on USA, Sky, and the rest of the world on top of the million they make from the live event with the gate and merch sales.

lakerboy
05-19-2009, 06:00 AM
You don't want to piss off Vince McMahon. Now I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Austin interrupts the Lakers-Nuggets game and gives Carmelo Anthony a stone cold stunner with a double F U

DenButsu
05-19-2009, 07:36 AM
You don't want to piss off Vince McMahon. Now I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Austin interrupts the Lakers-Nuggets game and gives Carmelo Anthony a stone cold stunner with a double F U

That's exactly right. That's definitely going to happen.

SideWinder989
05-19-2009, 07:50 AM
for FS ... they dont give anything to anyone... all they do is act act and more act... aaron brooks is stronger then any guy there...

DrDEADalready
05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
the Wrestling event is already set in stone. So they'll just have to move the Basket ball game to a different day.

dolfan720
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
That must suck for thoses fans

KiLLA RAiDER
05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
This is interesting. Let see how it plays out

The Ooh Child
05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm not a fan of wrestling.....anymore....but I think it is BS if wrestling gets bumped. I hope Vince gets to sue someone

kingkobe
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM

Lol. Although I haven't watched any wrestling in ages but that'll be awesome.

Imagine, it's 4th quarter 10 secs left on the clock. Denver down 0-3 are down by 2 with Melo with the ball.

And the glass shatters. Stone Cold comes in and stuns Melo and runs away. and the Lakers WIN! lol.

RelaxedFan
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Legally, the WWE does have a contract. The Nuggets can break the contract and not let the WWE load-in. The Nuggets and WWE will then go to arbitration to settle on the appropriate charges for the cancellation (advertising, money lost in ticket sales and concessions, USA fees (if applicable). Even if the WWE has a “No Relocation Clause” the Nuggets can still move them, but obviously, it breaks the contract. I imagine the Nuggets are weighing their options and trying to settle on how much this is going to cost them.

Regarding the date hold/contract signing, I imagine it was a proposal (August) with an acceptance date. Typically with venues, the venue will hold a date till the acceptance date. At that time, you can either sign the contract or release the space. Again, little faith in their team. They saw $$$ and rolled the dice.

The Nuggets company owns the arena so they have free range for dates UNLESS they have booked another event.

Remember, that in the industry, things like this happen. Big concert tours move little concert tours. Concerts replace ice skating. Stuff like that. The problem is Vince has money, fame and TV time. He will make this into a HUGE deal because it is free advertising. He doesn’t care which venue it is at because he will get his money from the Nuggets.

The Nuggets will play at the advertised time.
The WWE will move.
The Nuggets will pay HUGE because they broke contract.

Hopefully, they will make their money back in a game 6 and game 3-4 of the Final. Those 3 games will make up for any money lost from paying the WWE.

IBleedPurple
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I wonder if any other (smaller) venues in Denver are open on Monday such as the Denver Coliseum, University of Denver Arena, etc???

king4day
05-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I wonder what Vince will do. They need to find another arena and fill it up in a week.
If I were Vince, I'd never do business with that arena again.

Say what you want, but WWE still has really good live attendence draws. They come at least once or twice a year. Now they get nothing.

effen5
05-19-2009, 02:11 PM
I wonder what Vince will do. They need to find another arena and fill it up in a week.
If I were Vince, I'd never do business with that arena again.

Say what you want, but WWE still has really good live attendence draws. They come at least once or twice a year. Now they get nothing.

It should be the other way around, Nuggets should find another venue quick....because I think the law will be on Vince's side on this one and I see them having their live event there at the Pepsi Center.

king4day
05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
It should be the other way around, Nuggets should find another venue quick....because I think the law will be on Vince's side on this one and I see them having their live event there at the Pepsi Center.

The NBA schedule makers should have moved the series to accomadate. Since it's already official that the WWE has to move, then they have to do it quick. If Vince had to cancel a Monday night Raw episode, I think he'd sue David Stern.

I hope Vince says something that Monday.

king4day
05-19-2009, 02:16 PM
This may have already been posted, but I just saw it:

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms/overtheropes/2009/may15-21/10257144?cid=2009EP-00

It's Vince commenting on the situation.

NYMetros
05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Denver's owner sucks. I personally don't think it is fair to the WWE and they should be the one who gets it, but that obviously isn't happening.

DreamShaker
05-19-2009, 02:20 PM
This is ridiculous....The NBA has to push the game back....would be the only logical thing to do.

Driven
05-19-2009, 02:21 PM
This is ridiculous....The NBA has to push the game back....would be the only logical thing to do.
They're staying out of it. It's between the Nuggets and the WWE.

As for the WWE being bumped... have they actually? It's not like I've read anything else saying that besides the Denver Post article.

king4day
05-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Exactly. Whats the big deal anyway. They usually have 3 or 4 days between games as it is in the playoffs, what's 2 days off instead of one.

king4day
05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
They're staying out of it. It's between the Nuggets and the WWE.

As for the WWE being bumped... have they actually? It's not like I've read anything else saying that besides the Denver Post article.

According to Vince in the video I posted above, they are already on their way to Denver. So that owner has a big time dillema on his hands.

Driven
05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
They won't show up until Monday, so we'll see.

If I'm the WWE I milk this for all it's worth. They're already getting great publicity and reactions from the media. I'd bring in Mark Cuban for their Monday show as well.

RelaxedFan
05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
It's not fair, but WWE will move venues. Again, Vince will host a show in Denver (smaller place), but will get to 1) Sell Out 2) Tons of Money from Nuggets for relocation 3) Tons of FREE Press

Denver will make the money back as they push farther into the playoffs and Vince gets more money from Nuggets and Free Press.

king4day
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
It's not fair, but WWE will move venues. Again, Vince will host a show in Denver (smaller place), but will get to 1) Sell Out 2) Tons of Money from Nuggets for relocation 3) Tons of FREE Press

Denver will make the money back as they push farther into the playoffs and Vince gets more money from Nuggets and Free Press.

This show was apparently already sold out. Unless they can fill a college or something ina week, they will take a huge hit.
Denver is going to lose a LOT of money on this. Not sure how much they'll make for each home playoff game, but I can see it being close to how much they'll lose to WWE here.

IndyRealist
05-19-2009, 02:44 PM
The NBA's basically saying it's Denver's fault for scheduling the WWE, so I can see why they're staying out of it. The Nuggets lose big no matter what. The league's not going to let them change the playoff schedule. It's a Memorial Day game, the ratings will be huge. The WWE is not going to let them back out of their contract, so their probably going to have to end up playing the playoff game and paying out the nose to the WWE. They'll be the only team to ever LOSE money for playing a playoff game, ever.

pd7631
05-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I am not a fan of wrestling....at all. I love the NBA. But this one is all the Nuggets fault, the WWE has the right to use the arena at the agreed upon date and time. Shame on the Nuggets owner for not having faith in his team to be playing at this time of the season. And it's not like it was agreed upon before the season, he signed the contract at the end of the season when the Nuggets had the 2 seed locked up. That makes it even worse.

Driven
05-19-2009, 03:06 PM
The latest on Monday's Raw is that WWE is looking into running the show in Colorado Springs. An official announcement is expected shortly, as they don't have much time to deal with the ticket situation. [Credit: Pwinsider.com]

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/104988/More-Various-News:-Update-on-Raw-in-Denver,-AM-Raw-and-Impact-Replay-Ratings,-JBL-Interview,-FCW-Injuries,-More.htm

pd7631
05-19-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/104988/More-Various-News:-Update-on-Raw-in-Denver,-AM-Raw-and-Impact-Replay-Ratings,-JBL-Interview,-FCW-Injuries,-More.htm

I would imagine the Nuggets would have to pay some compensation to the WWE for the inconvenience.

IBleedPurple
05-19-2009, 03:12 PM
^Living in Colorado Springs, I think they'll bring it to the World Arena. After checking their website, they look free on Monday, and had Smackdown scheduled there for Thursday as well.

Should be about a 9,000 seat capacity. Doubt that a majority would drive the 1-2 hr drive from Denver, but many would. Nuggets will be footing the bill for sure, whether now or later.

pete_one
05-19-2009, 03:17 PM
raja bell is going to show up and clothesline kobe. pt II

IndyRealist
05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
And....ban.

lakersfan211
05-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Everyone complains about the WWE being fake well guess what the nba is also a joke so who *** kin cares about all the dumb ni gge rs:mad:

ban this idiot.

Tragedy
05-19-2009, 03:40 PM
The whole point of Raw is that it is live except when overseas for obvious reasons.

USA pays the WWE big money to keep it live and they have them, NBC, and Universal execs to keep happy as well.

After being on for almost 16 years they have earned the right to be respected for their success. They are a business just like the Nuggets and at the end of the day the WWE and their people in charge didn't make the mistake and shouldn't be penalized for it.
It's not like RAW has never been taped before.

lakersfan211
05-19-2009, 03:41 PM
completly classless

DownInHouston
05-19-2009, 04:51 PM
You would think the owners of these arenas when drafting and signing contracts with people such as the WWE, they would have a clause stating that IF X team is in the playoffs then your venue will be rescheduled at a later date. If they do/did WWE would be SOL.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Why can't they just play the Nuggets game earlier in the day? It's Memorial day. The NBA has done early games before on holidays that aren't a weekend. On MLK day, Bulls and Knicks played at noon. Again, It's the monday of Memorial Day weekend, why can't they just do the game at like noon or 1 or 2.

Driven
05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
^Living in Colorado Springs, I think they'll bring it to the World Arena. After checking their website, they look free on Monday, and had Smackdown scheduled there for Thursday as well.

Should be about a 9,000 seat capacity. Doubt that a majority would drive the 1-2 hr drive from Denver, but many would. Nuggets will be footing the bill for sure, whether now or later.

The world arena holds 8,000. I'm not sure what WWE's going to do with the titantron and production, but if they incorporate those like normal, you're going to lose a couple thousand more seats. So the WWE's going to cut their attendance in half for the event.

Why can't they just play the Nuggets game earlier in the day? It's Memorial day. The NBA has done early games before on holidays that aren't a weekend. On MLK day, Bulls and Knicks played at noon. Again, It's the monday of Memorial Day weekend, why can't they just do the game at like noon or 1 or 2.

It takes the WWE plenty of hours to set up for RAW. It can't really be done.

vigilantex69
05-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Yea I mean the WWE is in it to make money, I'm sure they will have no problem moving their show, but I would say the next 4 or 5 times the WWE decides to come to Denver, its going to come out of the Nuggets pockets.

DenButsu
05-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I am not a fan of wrestling....at all. I love the NBA. But this one is all the Nuggets fault

I don't really know who's to blame exactly, but at the end of the day I feel about the same way about this as I would have if the Nuggets game had bumped a Celine Dion concert. Sucks for her and her fans, maybe, but then again... well, I don't really care because it's Celine Dion. :shrug:

Basketball takes precedence in the Pepsi Center. That's what it's there for first and foremost (along with hockey). That's the bottom line to me.

Eagles_Guy
05-19-2009, 07:25 PM
It's the Nuggets fault obviously - they didn't have the faith that the Nuggets would be playing right now. Keeping in mind - these WWE events are scheduled about a year in advance.

It's a sticky situation - of course Stern and the Nuggets want to maximize profits of the playoffs, hence "game every night". But a deal is a deal, and Vince McMahon is one stubborn man; however, WWE is a public company - does McMahon risk relationships with other vendors over this? If he sue's the Nuggets or whoever, does that then affect him booking future events at other BB venues during the playoffs (compounded by the fact that alot of NHL teams also share arenas with BB teams and their respective playoffs run concurrent)? He does have stockholders to think about (which both outcomes can have an effect on).

It's all up to Stern really, and whether they wanna move a game into being a double header with the Eastern Conference finals.

IBleedPurple
05-19-2009, 08:45 PM
The world arena holds 8,000. I'm not sure what WWE's going to do with the titantron and production, but if they incorporate those like normal, you're going to lose a couple thousand more seats. So the WWE's going to cut their attendance in half for the event.

Not to nitpick, but it holds 9,000 for concerts, which include an area being blocked off for screens, etc. So I would say at least 7,000, which is less than half. Not a good showing for RAW, which is usually pretty big, even though I could care less about wrestling.

I don't really know who's to blame exactly, but at the end of the day I feel about the same way about this as I would have if the Nuggets game had bumped a Celine Dion concert. Sucks for her and her fans, maybe, but then again... well, I don't really care because it's Celine Dion. :shrug:

Basketball takes precedence in the Pepsi Center. That's what it's there for first and foremost (along with hockey). That's the bottom line to me.

Good point. We're talking about a worldwide audience here, and a national sport. I know wrestling is absolutely huge, but athletes in a soap opera must take second fiddle to an arena (as you said) built for basketball and hockey.

superkegger
05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
So has there been any resolution on this?

Driven
05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
WWE was bumped. I'm so the financials will be figured out later.

superkegger
05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
So there just won't be a RAW that night, or they'll find an alternate location?

kblo247
05-20-2009, 05:41 PM
The Staples Center owner stepped up to the plate and it looks like they accepted. Holding that Kobe jersey didn't hurt.

Monday Night Raw will be held in Los Angeles' Staples Center, according to Los Angeles NBC affiliate KNBC. The network is reporting that World Wrestling Entertainment will be holding a press conference later today to announce the move.

Raw's move was neccesitated by the Denver Nuggets' NBA Playoff game, which has brought a ton of publicity to the situation.

There is no word yet on how tickets to Monday's event will be handled. As of this writing, there is no listing for the event on Ticketmaster.

The 2009 edition of Summerslam will also be held at the Staples Center in August.

pwinsider.com

MSG also offered there place

STAMFORD, Conn. — The Denver debacle that has jeopardized this coming Monday’s edition of Raw in Denver’s Pepsi Center has yielded an outpouring by some of the biggest arenas in the world who have opportunistically offered to host Monday Night Raw live on Memorial Day.

While working to resolve the scheduling conflict between Raw and the Denver Nuggets’ NBA Western Conference Finals game against the Los Angeles Lakers, WWE officials have received proposals from numerous venues including Madison Square Garden and, ironically, the STAPLES Center – the home of the Nuggets’ Monday night opponents, the Lakers. In addition to numerous other venues, these major-capacity metropolitan arenas proposed to have WWE’s flagship program emanate from their locations instead of Denver’s double-booked Pepsi Center this coming Monday.

As reported by WWE.com and countless media outlets, officials from both WWE and the Denver Nuggets are still attempting to determine a resolution for the scheduling calamity in Colorado’s capital.

Check back with WWE.com as additional information becomes available regarding this Monday's edition of Raw.

In short, Denver is going to pay out of their ***** for throwing off their planned schedule, flight plans, and possibly the low ticket sales and new advertising that a last minute raw with less than a week of notice could result in.

In the end Denver gets the game, Vince gets the press and money, but the WWE fans in Denver get hosed because they may only get a house show without the glitz and glam of a TV production.

Driven
05-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't be shocked if they let people into free on RAW Monday.

The odd thing is that they are going to tape ECW and Smackdown Tuesday there as well... and that was planned to be at Colorado Springs.

superkegger
05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
That would be pretty funny if it(RAW) were at Staples Center.

Driven
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
It is going to be at the Staples Center.

kblo247
05-20-2009, 07:03 PM

With places bargaining and bidding for Mania to boost their economy I wouldn't be shocked if this was a ploy by Staples and MSG since they are the only 2 arenas that Vince will allow to host it because of their history and status.

superkegger
05-20-2009, 07:04 PM
It is going to be at the Staples Center.

Oh, well from that post a couple up it said they still hadn't decided and had recieved offers for it to be in several different venues.

But, either way, it being at Staples is just too funny.

IBleedPurple
05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
It is wrestling, I honestly could care less. I'm not 13, and haven't found wrestling entertaining since.

On a more important topic, Game 4 will still be played Monday :clap:

Driven
05-20-2009, 07:45 PM
With places bargaining and bidding for Mania to boost their economy I wouldn't be shocked if this was a ploy by Staples and MSG since they are the only 2 arenas that Vince will allow to host it because of their history and status.
Nah. MSG hosts it every ten years (Wrestlemania 1, 10, 20 and presumably 30). Los Angeles and that area will always get one every 7 or so years.

Plus you look at the economies that are benefiting from 'Mania (Detroit getting $30 million, Orlando $60 million), those were all held in large stadiums.

thedfactor
05-20-2009, 08:03 PM
All this shows is poor ownership and class by Kroenke and his people. He initially did not have faith in his own team when the contract was signed which gave WWE the legal right to hold the Pepsi Center.

Kroenke and those who favor his move by forcing out McMahon and the WWE are both unable to hold contract agreements and giving themselves a bad rep.

Now the thing is I am an NBA fan and do not watch WWE wrestling, but that goes out the window in this case. It's not an issue about which sport gets the nod due to popularity or publicity, this is a real legal matter NOT being handled properly and its outrageously wrong.

Kroenke should be ashamed of the way he handled the situation by shoving aside a different sport and giving the impression he's doing the right thing. He simply is attempting the cover up a huge blemish about the lack of confidence he held in his own Denver Nuggets to advance this far in the postseason.

Vince McMahon has every right to be outraged and livid about the way he and his organization was treated.

Even though the Lakers and Staples Center opened its doors for the WWE event as the alternative, it doesn't exactly solve the problem.

Its the WWE fans, over 10,000 who purchased tickets, where the big problem lies. Those who live near the Denver area now must either purchase plane tickets or spend more money on gas IF they can actually make it to Los Angeles, CA. This also includes anyone who bought tix outside the local area, it's highly frustrating and ruins the spirit of such a large wrestling event.

Only thing to evolve from this is McMahon supposedly the newest Kobe Bryant fan.

DenButsu
05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Only thing to evolve from this is McMahon supposedly the newest Kobe Bryant fan.

Good. The Lakers can have him. And whatever the hell RAW is, too. Stan built the Pepsi Center first and foremost for hockey and basketball, and everything else there is just a sideshow - much like the entirety of "pro" :rolleyes: wrestling is in itself one big sideshow.

I'm just glad that now this distraction has been resolved we can get back to what's really important, which is basketball.

Driven
05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
SPN's Brian Kenney interviewed Vince McMahon regarding the now popular "Denver Debacle." Vince basically called Denver Nuggets' owner Stan Kroenke the worst businessman he has ever dealt with, said Kroenke basically wanted WWE to kiss his ***, and promised a great show for Monday.

He also said there would be a press conference tomorrow afternoon at 1:00 PM (I assume EST) at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York City. He will share details of the "ridiculous" proposal Kroenke made to WWE.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article1005995.shtml

According to NBC affiliate 9News, Vince McMahon has also decided to move Sunday's house show in Loveland, CO to the Staples Center in Los Angeles. McMahon made it clear he is not upset with Denver's fans, but with Nuggets' owner Stan Kroenke. He also said WWE would be back in Denver this August.

"We need to get back and make it right," said McMahon. "We're going to do the right thing by our audience for sure and that's why we're coming back in August."

In a "don't you know who I am moment," McMahon boasted the importance of booking a WWE event. "You know we're the second largest traveling show in the world, second only to Ringling Bros."

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article1005993.shtml

Though speculated and reported throughout the day, WWE has officially confirmed Raw being moved to the Staples Center in Los Angeles this Monday. Tickets will go on sale for the show tonight (Wednesday) at 8:00 PM (EST).

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article1005994.shtml

- Vince McMahon was on 9News in Denver, and confirmed the change of tapings, as well as the cancellation of the Loveland house show. He stated that they would make up the dates down the line and that he was happy for the Nuggets players for making as far as they have, but he was not happy with Kroenke and his management company. Vince was also upset that Kroenke never called him to deal with the issue.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/105117/Even-More-WWE-News:-Tons-of-Coverage-on-the-WWE-vs.-Denver-Nuggets-Situation.htm

DenButsu
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Shorter Vince:

:cry:

Driven
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Good. The Lakers can have him. And whatever the hell RAW is, too. Stan built the Pepsi Center first and foremost for hockey and basketball, and everything else there is just a sideshow - much like the entirety of "pro" :rolleyes: wrestling is in itself one big sideshow.

I'm just glad that now this distraction has been resolved we can get back to what's really important, which is basketball.
The only reason there was a distraction is because of Kroenke being a dumbass.

Eagles_Guy
05-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Shorter Vince:

:cry:

You seriously blame Vince McMahon for this? Kroenke is 100% in the wrong here. A deal is a deal.

Ethix11
05-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow. What a slap in the face. I will never watch wrestling again. Not even the WWE can bully the NBA where flopping happens just to proceed with their already booked venue when the Nuggets or any other team for that matter can bump them out of the air. PS i stopped watching it a loong time ago.. But ouch though.. .
Wrestling, so fake.:laugh: Too fake. :mad:

DenButsu
05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
You seriously blame Vince McMahon for this? Kroenke is 100% in the wrong here. A deal is a deal.

No, I just find it amusing - and slightly annoying - that he's still whining about it now that it's been resolved.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't know exactly who it was who screwed up, whether it was Kroenke himself, or the NBA, or some pencil pusher low level clerk in the Pepsi Center, but at the end of the day, I care about the WWE getting bumped out of there because of NBA playoff basketball exactly equally as little as I would care about it if a Celine Dion concert got bumped out of there - and that is to say, very little.

Kakaroach
05-20-2009, 09:24 PM
The WWE is not a sport. And why is McMahon still crying about this. Just suck it up and get over it. :pity:

Driven
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
No, I just find it amusing - and slightly annoying - that he's still whining about it now that it's been resolved.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't know exactly who it was who screwed up, whether it was Kroenke himself, or the NBA, or some pencil pusher low level clerk in the Pepsi Center, but at the end of the day, I care about the WWE getting bumped out of there because of NBA playoff basketball exactly equally as little as I would care about it if a Celine Dion concert got bumped out of there - and that is to say, very little.
The thing is... it sounds like it hasn't been resolved.

bahama0811
05-20-2009, 09:30 PM
The thing is... it sounds like it hasn't been resolved.

McMahon might not want it to be resolved but it is. Game 4 is at Pepsi Center and WWE is at Staples

Driven
05-20-2009, 09:35 PM
McMahon might not want it to be resolved but it is. Game 4 is at Pepsi Center and WWE is at Staples
....and this means everything is resolved how? Nothing has indicated that this is resolved. Maybe it is. But nothing publicly has shown that. Just because the WWE found an alternative home doesn't mean that it's resolved.

That's like saying that two people who got in a car accident have the situation resolved if they can both drive away.

DenButsu
05-20-2009, 09:39 PM
The only thing that's not resolved about this is that people who are bigger WWE fans than NBA fans want to keep complaining about it.

Driven
05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
The only thing that's not resolved about this is that people who are bigger WWE fans than NBA fans want to keep complaining about it.
...and that would be who?

The fact of the matter is that Kroenke was an idiot for this. If you want to defend that by saying "oh, I don't care, so it's okay," then that's just ridiculous. No one cares what you want. This doesn't have anything to do with what anyone wants. The WWE is getting a great deal out of this, no one is really defending them. Obviously they are in the right here, but they're getting off fine.

It's the fact that the only defense for Kroenke that people have is, "oh, wrestling is stupid and I want to see basketball, so it's cool." When really, the Nuggets owner was just a dumbass. And there's no argument you can make against that.

kblo247
05-20-2009, 09:49 PM

The fact of the matter is that Kroenke was an idiot for this. If you want to defend that by saying "oh, I don't care, so it's okay," then that's just ridiculous. No one cares what you want. This doesn't have anything to do with what anyone wants. The WWE is getting a great deal out of this, no one is really defending them. Obviously they are in the right here, but they're getting off fine.

It's the fact that the only defense for Kroenke that people have is, "oh, wrestling is stupid and I want to see basketball, so it's cool." When really, the Nuggets owner was just a dumbass. And there's no argument you can make against that.

:clap: I agree 100%

DenButsu
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM

So let's see, then. This situation is resolved, but all you really want to do is keep reiterating: "Kroenke is a dumbass, Kroenke is a dumbass, Kroenke is a dumbass" again and again.

That's about the gist of it for you, right?

And again, yes, wrestling is trivial to me and imho not a sport, basketball matters to me - it's what the Pepsi Center is there for - and is a sport, so yes, it's cool and I don't care.

that's about the gist of it for me.

So what, are we just going to keep going back and forth repeating the same opinions again and again? If so, I'm just going to close this thread because it's totally pointless.

Vinny642
05-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Agreed. the Owners messed up.

Driven
05-20-2009, 10:05 PM
So let's see, then. This situation is resolved, but all you really want to do is keep reiterating: "Kroenke is a dumbass, Kroenke is a dumbass, Kroenke is a dumbass" again and again.

Please explain to me how the situation is resolved when it is still on going in the media, and there have been no financial agreement discussed as well? News is still being broken on the story. It's not like everything is all said and done.

That's about the gist of it for you, right?

I've offered several different opinions and FACTS in this thread. If you have missed out on those that is not my fault.

And again, yes, wrestling is trivial to me and imho not a sport, basketball matters to me - it's what the Pepsi Center is there for - and is a sport, so yes, it's cool and I don't care.

Whether or not something is a sport or not is not relevant to the situation. Whether or not you like something is not relevant to the situation. Yanni is not a sport. You probably don't like him. Yet he couldn't be bumped from a hockey game.

So what, are we just going to keep going back and forth repeating the same opinions again and again? If so, I'm just going to close this thread because it's totally pointless.

There is absolutely no reason to close this thread when there is a legitimate discussion (at least by most in this thread) and there is still news coming out of the story, as well as the eventual payoff Monday Night.

Where's KG?
05-20-2009, 10:06 PM

I think the media is blowing this way out of proportion.......not Vince....He has a chance for free advertising on ESPN, why the hell not take....The people I actually feel bad for is the over 10,000 people that had bought tickets to the wrestling event, I bet they are not gettin playoff tickets.....

DenButsu
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Please explain to me how the situation is resolved when it is still on going in the media, and there have been no financial agreement discussed as well? News is still being broken on the story. It's not like everything is all said and done.

I've offered several different opinions and FACTS in this thread. If you have missed out on those that is not my fault.

Whether or not something is a sport or not is not relevant to the situation. Whether or not you like something is not relevant to the situation. Yanni is not a sport. You probably don't like him. Yet he couldn't be bumped from a hockey game.

There is absolutely no reason to close this thread when there is a legitimate discussion (at least by most in this thread) and there is still news coming out of the story, as well as the eventual payoff Monday Night.

Game 4 is on, WWE is on at Staples. That's resolution.

The only reason it's still going on the the media is because Vince is milking it for all the free publicity he can get. Not that I blame him for that, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been resolution to this situation, because there in fact has been.

At any rate, this thread sure isn't about basketball anymore. If you don't want me to close it, would you prefer that I move it to Wrestling or GD? It really has no place here anymore, because Game 4 will be played as scheduled, and that's about the end of the news as far as basketball is concerned.

Driven
05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
WWE.com has updated their earlier report of moving Raw to the Staples Center in Los Angeles, by announcing a second event to take place at Staples on Tuesday, May 26th. However, it was not specifically mentioned that this event would be the Smackdown and ECW tapings.

It was also announced that WWE would return to Denver on Friday, August 7th, for an event at the Denver Coliseum.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article1005996.shtml