PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tierd of ESPN ?

skinsfan4life80
05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Good read about how ESPN and other sports media are changing sports coverage into a soapopra.

http://www.playersvoice.com/latest/sports-black-cloud.html

NYstateofMinD
05-18-2009, 12:03 PM
They forgot to include the numerous Kobe and LeBron stories.

ManRam
05-18-2009, 12:20 PM
ESPN would have much less success if they didn't allot more time towards the most popular teams and players. You can't fault them for that. If they spent as much time talking about Kevin Durant and Al Jefferson as they did Kobe and LeBron, do you think they'd have half the success they have? If ESPN spent as much time talking about the great Pirates/Reds rivalry? No.

They need to appeal to the masses. Your local sports channel is in charge of focusing on your home town team, not ESPN.

As for the Brett and Manny sagas...the bottom line is: people care about it. Steroids is the number one story in baseball, unfortunately, and although the Farve saga is getting extremely old, people still care about it.

People love drama. ESPN is a business. They do what gets them the most money, and do what appeals to the most people. Can't fault them for that. For every person that hates ESPN's coverage of Manny or Brett, there are more that love it. They can't please everyone.

And still, ESPN probably spends 5% of their time reporting on these sports opera stories as a whole. It's easy to point out the bad...but the good is far more significant. The good that ESPN has done for sports is beyond comprehension.

masalex1205
05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Great another anti-ESPN thread

Listen up, ESPN sucks, this is nothing new.

It sucks because:

1.) It's for profit, they have no interest other than making a profit, it a corporation and if focusing on Brett Favre's possible return will draw ratings over an actual sporting event then they're going to air that

2.) It's a monopoly on the sports television world. (Anybody remember CNNSI?) If you want to watch sports news or sporting related events you're going to have to go w/ ESPN except for certain exceptions (i.e. TNT w/ the NBA playoffs). They have no competition and therefore on one to push them to become better.

Seriously, I see a new anti-ESPN or the NBA is fixed thread every day with the same stale arguments.

skinsfan4life80
05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
As a bartender at a sports bar i talk to thousands of sports fans a year..and people are sick of the Steriods talk., they just really are. Just because ESPN reports it around the clock doesnt mean people want to hear it. As far as how much ARod tips at Hooters..im sorry you cant convince me that is a sports story. I understand Kobe and Lebron are bigger stories then Kevin Durrant and Al Jefferson..Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson is not a sports story. People would care about Durrant if they knew more about him..and saw his highlights. If Sportscenter wasnt so busy showing highlights from Clemens day in court..they would have more time to show highlights from players like Roy or Durrant and more people would know who they are ...they are great players who most people never get to see..which leads the masses to only care about Lebron and Kobe because thats all they see.

skinsfan4life80
05-18-2009, 12:32 PM

It sucks because:

1.) It's for profit, they have no interest other than making a profit, it a corporation and if focusing on Brett Favre's possible return will draw ratings over an actual sporting event then they're going to air that

2.) It's a monopoly on the sports television world. (Anybody remember CNNSI?) If you want to watch sports news or sporting related events you're going to have to go w/ ESPN except for certain exceptions (i.e. TNT w/ the NBA playoffs). They have no competition and therefore on one to push them to become better.

Seriously, I see a new anti-ESPN or the NBA is fixed thread every day with the same stale arguments.

Do you feel the need to reply to all of them?

D Roses Bulls
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM

It sucks because:

and again someone else commenting in a post with a negative thought bout "awww, not another one of these threads". look there are a bunch of dumb threads put on here all the time like is A-Rod on steroids or something about brett favre coming back. a lot of crap people dont wanna read or discuss or that we already know the answers too then everyone comments it anyways. now thats real dumb. like how many threads do we need about who is better kobe or lebron? seriously, but everyone keeps commenting. if you dont like the thread or are tired of the topic then dont comment it and maybe it will stop all of these useless threads from being posted. some people post because they like to see their numbers go up or what so ever. if you dont like the topic dont say nothing and it will stop people from posting dumb threads.

this thread though was interesting. the article alone i mean was. yes we all know espn is horrible, but this article was more in depth then just some stupid thread that stated espn is dumb because they are bias or whatever.

skinsfan4life80
05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
and again someone else commenting in a post with a negative thought bout "awww, not another one of these threads". look there are a bunch of dumb threads put on here all the time like is A-Rod on steroids or something about brett favre coming back. a lot of crap people dont wanna read or discuss or that we already know the answers too then everyone comments it anyways. now thats real dumb. like how many threads do we need about who is better kobe or lebron? seriously, but everyone keeps commenting. if you dont like the thread or are tired of the topic then dont comment it and maybe it will stop all of these useless threads from being posted. some people post because they like to see their numbers go up or what so ever. if you dont like the topic dont say nothing and it will stop people from posting dumb threads.

this thread though was interesting. the article alone i mean was. yes we all know espn is horrible, but this article was more in depth then just some stupid thread that stated espn is dumb because they are bias or whatever.

Nail right on the head..

masalex1205
05-18-2009, 12:51 PM

You bring up good points but this was the first reply to any of the subjects that concerned my rant (So no Skins fan I don't need feelt he need to reply to all of them). It was a knee jerk reaction to point out these things.

While you may have found the article interesting I didn't. I think it just stated the obvious.

Now if you'll excuse me Im going to go start threats about A-ROD juicing, how the NBA is rigged, and Brad Pitt/ANgelina Jolie.

D Roses Bulls
05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
You bring up good points but this was the first reply to any of the subjects that concerned my rant (So no Skins fan I don't need feelt he need to reply to all of them). It was a knee jerk reaction to point out these things.

While you may have found the article interesting I didn't. I think it just stated the obvious.

Now if you'll excuse me Im going to go start threats about A-ROD juicing, how the NBA is rigged, and Brad Pitt/ANgelina Jolie.

oh and you forgot romo and jessica simpson, lol and i wasnt saying you reply to everything and complain, but a lot of people do. if people would stop replying to dumb threads, then some of these threads wont get made.

masalex1205
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
haha no worries, i love how im just perpetuating what i hate right now, haha