PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets used agreed upon Tinsley deal to get AI-Billups trade done

DenButsu
05-18-2009, 09:50 AM
A behind the scenes look at the big AI-Billups trade:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12387870

Looks like Denver had secured a deal with Indiana to trade Chucky Atkins, Steven Hunter, a pick and cash for Tinsley, and that in turn ended up being what convinced Dumars to pull the trigger on AI for Billups. Why? I don't know. Maybe up to that point he had been unsure of their seriousness in making a big trade, but their willingness to gamble on Tinsley convinced him? Maybe Chauncey's poor shooting in the first games of Detroit's season (even though they were all winning efforts) made him think they needed more of a scoring punch? It doesn't quite make sense to me why one would lead to the other. All I can say is I'm glad it did.

durtee
05-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Interesting...Joe D really wanted to get a deal done in the off season to clear up cap space for the next couple years, so I guess the potential of a Tinsley deal convinced him to make a deal before it was too late.

It didn't work out as good as I had hoped, but I won't complain. The Pistons have cleared up a ton of cap space and now have the potential for a huge summer this year and possibly next year. The Nuggets got a tremendous PG and leader and now have a real shot at upsetting the Lakers. I picked the Lakers to win it all prior to the season, but deep down I will be rooting for Billups to get another ring.

masalex1205
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
very interesting, it's hard not to be pulling for Billups if you're not a Lakers fan right now, just a class act leader

NYstateofMinD
05-18-2009, 10:43 AM
That's good for Chauncey and the Nuggets, but it's sad that Allen Iverson is finally losing a step.

NoSense
05-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Honestly Joe Dumars is one of the elite GMs in the NBA, but I really don't get why he wanted to ship Billups so badly. I mean I thought he'd have begun with Sheed...But good for the Nuggets, and good for us, watchers :D

Wilson
05-18-2009, 12:12 PM
You mean the Nuggets could have had Tinsley instead of Billups? They ****ed up!

Wilson
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
very interesting, it's hard not to be pulling for Billups if you're not a Lakers fan right now, just a class act leader

Even after the *** whooping in '04, I've always been a huge Billups fan. He's a great player and leader, and I loved watching him work with Rip Hamilton in Detroit.

My love for him grew as he proved me to be exactly right on my predictions of the effect of the big trade.

Right now, I'm not necessarily rooting for him, but it should be fun to watch this series.

what54!?
05-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I think its safe to say that dumars has just become nuggets fans and players favorite GM in the leauge

_Sn1P3r_
05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Haha, well it sure has payed off for Denver.

ink
05-18-2009, 04:20 PM
You mean the Nuggets could have had Tinsley instead of Billups? They ****ed up!

:laugh:

Deal of the year.

What's the last time they made it to the WCF -- 1984-85??

jimbobjarree
05-18-2009, 04:57 PM
he maybe could have kept Billups a lil longer than he did though, maybe traded him at the turn of the year and still got the cap space from somewhere

PHX-SOXFAN
05-18-2009, 07:43 PM
A behind the scenes look at the big AI-Billups trade:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12387870

Looks like Denver had secured a deal with Indiana to trade Chucky Atkins, Steven Hunter, a pick and cash for Tinsley, and that in turn ended up being what convinced Dumars to pull the trigger on AI for Billups. Why? I don't know. Maybe up to that point he had been unsure of their seriousness in making a big trade, but their willingness to gamble on Tinsley convinced him? Maybe Chauncey's poor shooting in the first games of Detroit's season (even though they were all winning efforts) made him think they needed more of a scoring punch? It doesn't quite make sense to me why one would lead to the other. All I can say is I'm glad it did.

he wasn't looking for a scoring punch. It was purely a salary dump. nothing more. he got the expiring deal he wanted and is going with a youth movement. their run was over.

You don't really think he was trying to get better with AI do you?:confused: That was nothing more than a salary dump.

Kakaroach
05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Lol so the Nuggets might have had Tinsley instead of Billups? Talk about lucky.

PHX-SOXFAN
05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Honestly Joe Dumars is one of the elite GMs in the NBA, but I really don't get why he wanted to ship Billups so badly. I mean I thought he'd have begun with Sheed...But good for the Nuggets, and good for us, watchers :D

sheed's deal expired this year. same as ai. See a pattern?:confused: Salary dump and go with the youth and Free agents.

DenButsu
05-18-2009, 10:07 PM
You don't really think he was trying to get better with AI do you?:confused: That was nothing more than a salary dump.

No, as a Nuggets fan who had AI's $21 million expiring as one of Denver's most valuable assets on my radar screen for a long time, I'm well aware that the primary purpose was to cut payroll. But Billups likewise was a very valuable asset for Dumars, and he arguably could have accomplished the aim of reducing salary while at the same time getting back more in exchange. Compare this, for example, to Denver's dumping of Camby. To me it was pretty clear at the time (and, I'm sure, even clearer to Pistons fans) that unlike Camby, Chauncey was not a disposable piece of their roster. More like a "heart and sould of the team" type dude. And if you look around the league at all the respect from coaches and GMs that gets showered on Billups, it seems pretty clear to me that in the final sum Dumars could probably have done better. Which takes us back to my speculation about what exactly was going on in Dumars' mind that made this deal make sense to him. And the only thing that makes some kind of sense to me is that yes, he actually did value Iverson himself and not just his expiring as worthy enough of a player to make the deal seem like a lateral move to him. And if that's true, then with Iverson, what else is there to value, really, other than some "scoring punch"?

Deal of the year.

What's the last time they made it to the WCF -- 1984-85??

Yep, that's right.

IBleedPurple
05-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I think its safe to say that dumars has just become nuggets fans and players favorite GM in the leauge

It is very safe to say. I think he should be getting press box seats to the WC Finals.

IndyRealist
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Sadly the losers in this are the Pacers and Tinsley, both of which need a new start. Just like with Orlando.