PDA

View Full Version : Season MVP or Finals MVP

JordansBulls
05-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Season MVP or Finals MVP, which is better and which means more?

Raps08-09 Champ
05-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Anyone can really win Finals MVP on a team.

I can just give someone on the Raptors like Ukic more playing time and have him score the most on our team and he could win it.

Cubs Win
05-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Which says more about your actual talent? Season.

Which would I rather win? Finals.
Winning the Finals MVP would mean that you not only won the championship, but that you were the main reason your team won. It also shows that you show up during big games.

Look at what happened when Dirk won the Season MVP. First round out. I'm not trying to say he's a bad player, but when the goal is to win a championship Finals MVP means more.

NYKnickFanatic
05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I would have to say Finals MVP.

Season MVP is a great thing to win, but the Finals MVP is more important, cuz you win it all. (Championship)

jackyyy
05-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Finals MVP.

Sly Guy
05-17-2009, 12:05 PM
season. Finals MVP means you played 4-7 games exceptionally well against one team. Which could mean you just had a really favorable match up. A season MVP is against all teams, all year, and chances are your team had to be pretty good to even get consideration.

Kenny
05-17-2009, 12:07 PM
season mvp means more when your looking at a persons career when it's over..

LakersKB24
05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Finals MVP! If you are in consideration to be the Regular Season MVP it means your team is a title contender! So your goal has to be to win the championship! And winning the Finals MVP doesn't mean anything else than that you are the player that made the difference in the Finals and that your team is the NBA champion.

But individually Season MVP is a bigger accomplishment.

NYYankeesWin#27
05-17-2009, 12:29 PM
finals mvp

Jay22Redd
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Finals MVP. Most likely you won the championship as well.

ShaunRiching9
05-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Finals MVP

ProdigyI
05-17-2009, 12:39 PM
But when you look back, What do people remember more.....the Finals MVP or the Season MVP.

Im going to have to go with Season.

Anybody can put up a good series if they catch fire. Hell, it might only last 4 or 5 games.

In a complete 82 game season, you have to do it every single night and be consistent all season long to help your team win.

Cubs Win
05-17-2009, 12:55 PM
But when you look back, What do people remember more.....the Finals MVP or the Season MVP.

Im going to have to go with Season.

Anybody can put up a good series if they catch fire. Hell, it might only last 4 or 5 games.

In a complete 82 game season, you have to do it every single night and be consistent all season long to help your team win.

But what is more important? Winning the finals or being a great player all season long?

GodsSon
05-17-2009, 12:57 PM
to add to this discussion...was there any player who won the finals MVP as a member of the losing team?? i know in the NHL its happened periodically, dont remember it happening in the NBA though

madiaz3
05-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I think Shaq's MVP was more valuable than his Finals MVPs which were the results of his match ups against Rik Smits and Todd MacCulloch. Same with Tony Parker, who could never win a season MVP, versus well, who did he even dominate on the Cavs? Larry Hughes was their best guard and he only played 40 minutes for the series and scored about 5 points collectively. I think you have to look on it on a case by case basis for the Finals MVP while a Season MVP shows consistent greatness against the league.

madiaz3
05-17-2009, 12:59 PM
to add to this discussion...was there any player who won the finals MVP as a member of the losing team?? i know in the NHL its happened periodically, dont remember it happening in the NBA though

Just Jerry West.

EX-TREME
05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
depends if you have a ring.

GodsSon
05-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Just Jerry West.

hmmm, something seems wrong with that...i cant speak beyond playoff performances past the late 90's, but im sure somewhere along the line an opposing teams player was the best player on the court in a finals series

still1ballin
05-17-2009, 02:01 PM
finals

JordansBulls
05-17-2009, 02:51 PM
I think Shaq's MVP was more valuable than his Finals MVPs which were the results of his match ups against Rik Smits and Todd MacCulloch. Same with Tony Parker, who could never win a season MVP, versus well, who did he even dominate on the Cavs? Larry Hughes was their best guard and he only played 40 minutes for the series and scored about 5 points collectively. I think you have to look on it on a case by case basis for the Finals MVP while a Season MVP shows consistent greatness against the league.

Rik Smits was an allstar and he even played better than Ewing in a playoff series. Smits is a better version of Divac.

JordansBulls
05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
To me it depends on the type of player getting the award. For a superstar and top 10 player in the league, a Finals MVP is definitely more important.

However, winning the season MVP makes you a superstar, while winning a Finals MVP does not.

So it really depends on the type of player getting finals mvp.

Lakers4ItAll
05-17-2009, 04:46 PM
See that wasnt the question tho

But what is more important? Winning the finals or being a great player all season long?

Big Zo
05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Finals MVP. I bet Karl Malone would trade his regular season MVP's for a finals MVP.

madiaz3
05-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Rik Smits was an allstar and he even played better than Ewing in a playoff series. Smits is a better version of Divac.

Yeah, but the finals matchup I mentioned was in the last year of his career averaging 12-5, way past his prime of 19-7 almost five years before.

MickeyMgl
05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
The Season MVP says more about an individual player. A Finals MVP says more about an individual player on a championship team.

As a player, you'd rather have the championship, but Finals MVPs don't always go to the best player on a championship team. They go to a player who had the best SERIES for a championship team.

In the end, it's apples and oranges.

KnicksorBust
05-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Finals MVP. I bet Karl Malone would trade his regular season MVP's for a finals MVP.

Great point. I agree that a player would rather win Finals MVP's than Regular Season MVP's. Looking back in history though, a regular season MVP is better on a Hall of Fame resume.

MickeyMgl
05-17-2009, 06:01 PM

He might trade his MVP for a championship ring, but a Finals MVP is not that special.

Er1c
05-17-2009, 06:02 PM
finals, no doubt

Big Zo
05-17-2009, 06:04 PM
He might trade his MVP for a championship ring, but a Finals MVP is not that special.

Well, considering that winning a finals MVP guarantees you a ring, I don't see why he wouldn't want to add the finals MVP in the trade.

MickeyMgl
05-17-2009, 06:04 PM
For this question, consider the fact that today it is generally assumed that when you win a Finals MVP, you win a championship. That is what's boosting the prestige of a Finals MVP.

If the question were Season MVP vs Championship Ring, the Championship Ring would probably win.

However, remember that there is one guy who won a Finals MVP without the ring. Ask Jerry West if he'd rather have had a Season MVP or a Finals MVP with no championship.

So is this really Season MVP vs Finals MVP? Because without the championship, the Season MVP is undoubtedly better.

ink
05-17-2009, 06:05 PM

:nod:

MickeyMgl
05-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, considering that winning a finals MVP guarantees you a ring, I don't see why he wouldn't want to add the finals MVP in the trade.

It doesn't. Statistically, it virtually does, but in actual fact, it doesn't.

Big Zo
05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
It doesn't. Statistically, it virtually does, but in actual fact, it doesn't.

Only Jerry West has won Finals MVP without getting the ring. I doubt a player from the losing team will ever win it again.

superkegger
05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Both.

JordansBulls
05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Only Jerry West has won Finals MVP without getting the ring. I doubt a player from the losing team will ever win it again.

Unless they are averaging near 40 ppg like West was doing.

prodigy
05-17-2009, 09:47 PM
this is difficult.

regular season MVP- This is alot harder to get, because you have to play at a high level the whole season.

finals MVP- means your team won it all.

So its tough. both very very important. Both will most likely belong to lebron. so we can ask him that question later on.

dee279
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I would much rather win Finals mvp because sometimes when you are Finals MVP, you were in the running or you did win the MVP of the year. Also, just because you win the MVP, that does not mean you was the best player in the NBA. All it means is you are the Best Player on one of the best teams. WHen you win finals MVP, it means you played at the highest level at your highest level and you won your team a championship that will forever hang in the stands. Some MVPs are forgotten, championships are forever remembered.

theuuord
05-17-2009, 10:19 PM

Not if you're Jerry West.

But nowadays it's almost guaranteed.

Zetterberg40
05-17-2009, 10:49 PM
No question about it Finals MVP. The regular season MVP is a much harder accomplishment and is nothing to be ashamed of at all. But the finals MVP is better because it most likely means your team has won the NBA Championship which should mean more to any player than an individual award.

MickeyMgl
05-18-2009, 02:52 AM

That may be so, but if you want to answer "Season MVP vs Championship", that's still different from "Season MVP vs Finals MVP". Jerry West knows the difference.

MickeyMgl
05-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Everybody's answering a different question from the one being asked.

Season MVP vs Finals MVP

Not, Season MVP vs Championship

Regardless of the fact that they have almost always gone hand-in-hand, Finals MVP and a championship are two separate things.

Finals MVP doesn't even mean you are the best player on your team. Cedric Maxwell won Finals MVP in '81, and no one would suggest he was the Celtics' best player that year, or even their 2nd best. He was just the best for that series. That's often determined by matchups against the particular opponent, foul trouble, etc. Any number of things other than who is actually the best player.

It's an overrated award.

Championship teams are the last thing to be forgotten about a season. Season MVPs come after that. Finals MVPs are among the first.

azkarraga
05-18-2009, 03:27 AM
for a player, season mvp.
for a team, finals mvp

GREATNESS ONE
05-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Lets ask Kobe when the Season is over.

hockeypro68
05-18-2009, 05:51 AM
season. Finals MVP means you played 4-7 games exceptionally well against one team. Which could mean you just had a really favorable match up. A season MVP is against all teams, all year, and chances are your team had to be pretty good to even get consideration.

This is exactly what I was going to say, but Sly Guy put it perfectly. :cool:

JordansBulls
05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Lets ask Kobe when the Season is over.

Or Gasol or Lebron or Melo or Billups or Dwight.

thesparky33
05-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Winning the Finals MVP would mean that you not only won the championship, but that you were the main reason your team won. It also shows that you show up during big games.
Great post.

I was gonna say the same thing.

But if you took a team of the last 5 regular season MVP's vs. the last 5 Finals MVP's, who would you take?

Also, I think the only reason the Finals MVP means more is because people assume that winning the Title comes with it.

What about when Jerry West won it, despite his team losing the Finals? I think that directly implies that it depends greatly on if your team won the title, which IMO isnt what the question should be.

Season MVP > Finals MVP

but

Finals win > Season MVP

what54!?
05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Finals MVP. I rather have 1 finals MVP and 5 championships than 5 leauge MVPs and no championships in my career.

masalex1205
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
finals mvp because it means you won the championship

USMCLaker
05-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Neither means anything, this is the lamest award and they should do away with these individual awards in a team sport.

JordansBulls
05-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Finals MVP. I rather have 1 finals MVP and 5 championships than 5 leauge MVPs and no championships in my career.

Everyone with 3 season mvp's has won the title and/or has finals mvp's if it was around.

what54!?
05-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Everyone with 3 season mvp's has won the title and/or has finals mvp's if it was around.I know I'm just saying hypothetically

JJ81
05-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Finals because you win the championship

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Season MVP = Lebron
Finals MVP = Kobe

Top 2 players in the league by most.

Brooke
06-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Finals MVP

Big Ken
06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
finals MVP. The only way the season MVP is better is if u get both.:clap:

S-Dot
06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Season MVP...says more about who is the best player is IMO. No offense to Chauncey in '04, but he wasnt the best player. Both mean alot though, and speak well for one's career

mikantsass
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Finals MVPs come with a RING. Ask LeBron which one he would have rathered this year.