PDA

View Full Version : Wow "Kobe Doin' Work" is awful

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 08:15 PM
So, 15 minutes in... and this is worse than Santa Clause 3. I've never seen a movie focused SO much on someone and be SO boring in my life. No offense to Kobe, offense to Spike Lee... Are you serious? Go pay for your Knicks tickets by getting a real job sir, not by making awful documentaries.

Vinny642
05-16-2009, 08:17 PM
lol its about kobe wut do u expect lol jk all

im not watching but its really bad?

Vinny642
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
o0o yea lol wazzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaa man

ManRam
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I concur.

It's just listening to him talk and watching him play basketball. I was falling asleep. It's nothing special. I've already changed the channel. Baaad documentary.

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 08:19 PM
It's literally like watching a Lakers game, but with only cameras on Kobe. Like you can't even see the score or what's going on unless Kobe is scoring or complaining.

ManRam
05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
It's not even anything creative. I'm trying to stick with it...but it's tedious. I'd rather watch any real basketball than this. What he's saying isn't even that insightful.

If you're a Kobe fan I could understand why this would be cool...but a basketball fan, especially if you've played the game yourself, it's nothing.

bleedprple&gold
05-16-2009, 08:28 PM
It is what it is. It's a behind the scenes look of a Laker game with Kobe commentary. If you don't like Kobe already or you're not a Laker fan, then you're not going to like this...

Draco
05-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Just having watched 5 minutes of this I think Kobe was the wrong person to have narrate.. "Kobe talking about Kobe" isn't all that interesting.

Draco
05-16-2009, 08:31 PM
It is what it is. It's a behind the scenes look of a Laker game with Kobe commentary. If you don't like Kobe already or you're not a Laker fan, then you're not going to like this...

I'd like it more if Riley were doing the narration... or if it has to be a Laker associate, then Magic, or Kareem.

ManRam
05-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Which makes it even more disappointing. It should appeal to basketball falls. The idea sounds cool, but I feel it's horribly executed. I don't hate it because it's all about Kobe, I hate it because it's boring, and not even that ground-breaking. I think Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson provide more interesting insight honestly. I'd rather listen to them.

I watch documentaries about people I hate all the time...and have enjoyed many of them.

I guarantee Spike didn't make this in the hopes that only Kobe fans like it.

kb24ap28
05-16-2009, 08:35 PM
wut did u expect it to be an action packed film?

ManRam
I'd like it more if Riley were doing the narration... or if it has to be a Laker associate, then Magic, or Kareem.

I agree. If it was a mix of Kobe, coaches, analysts, Laker greats, Spurs players, etc. it would be a lot more interesting.

Mell413
I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that Spike Lee didn't have creative control. So maybe that explains some of the complaints people have.

kb24ap28
05-16-2009, 08:36 PM

thats not the point. the point is to see a game through the eyes of a superstar.

KB24PG16
05-16-2009, 08:36 PM

lol

Draco
05-16-2009, 08:37 PM
"Here's me ragging on Thomas about his age.." "Here's me in the huddle explaining plays to my team".. This feels like a listening to a relative explain pictures they've taken of their trip to the Grand Canyon.

Draco
05-16-2009, 08:37 PM
i agree. If it was a mix of kobe, coaches, analysts, laker greats, spurs players, etc. It would be a lot more interesting.

+1

bleedprple&gold
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree. If it was a mix of Kobe, coaches, analysts, Laker greats, Spurs players, etc. it would be a lot more interesting.

Yea I definitely agree. But I didn't come in with the expectation of it being revolutionary or ground-breaking, but having said that, I'm still disappointed

kb24ap28
05-16-2009, 08:39 PM
u guys are all just laker haters tryin to find another reason to hate

ManRam
05-16-2009, 08:39 PM
thats not the point. the point is to see a game through the eyes of a superstar.

See, that idea does interest me, but this is letting me down. I don't feel like I'm seeing it through his eyes...at all. I'm just listening to him talk...about the same things.

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 08:41 PM
This is like when a child is in a school play and it is videotaped. Sure the family wants to watch it, sure the child wants to watch it, but people who like any type of quality do not.

I don't mind that it's about Kobe, heck I've liked documentaries about Hitler, Stalin, and Napoleon. Because they were done well, this is like if John Madden had control over a Brett Favre documentary.

They should have done a whole series, because 1 game is... taking... forever. They should have done highlights, you know... editing... rather than just show us Kobe wiping his nose for 90 minutes.:p

ragee
05-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I am sure, Laker fans loved it...:D

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Kobe is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. This is me... and there I am again. And Tony Parker is fast... Oh and there I am again. Where did I go? Oh wait, there I am... Kurt Thomas is old. Bruce Bowen is a cheater. The refs don't are stupid. Tony Parker is really quick... Radmonovich sucks, I don't even mention him.

Testaverde16
i think the parts where they are on the bench or talking to the refs is cool, and am waiting to see what goes on at halftime, but im a little disappointed as well. its not bad though, just not as interesting as they made it seem like it would be.

kb24ap28
This is like when a child is in a school play and it is videotaped. Sure the family wants to watch it, sure the child wants to watch it, but people who like any type of quality do not.

I don't mind that it's about Kobe, heck I've liked documentaries about Hitler, Stalin, and Napoleon. Because they were done well, this is like if John Madden had control over a Brett Favre documentary.

They should have done a whole series, because 1 game is... taking... forever. They should have done highlights, you know... editing... rather than just show us Kobe wiping his nose for 90 minutes.:p

thats a good idea except for the fact that phil jackson isnt going to let cameras into the locker room for a whole series

BiG bAd BrUiNs
05-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I was just flipping through channels and I just started watching this. It sucks... :puke:

Cromedome
i'll give my honest opinion when I watch this later.

kb24ap28
Kobe is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. This is me... and there I am again. And Tony Parker is fast... Oh and there I am again. Where did I go? Oh wait, there I am... Kurt Thomas is old. Bruce Bowen is a cheater. The refs don't are stupid. Tony Parker is really quick... Radmonovich sucks, I don't even mention him.

what do u want him to say?

bleedprple&gold
05-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I am sure, Laker fans loved it...:D

No I'm a Laker fan and I'm disappointed. I didn't realize it was just going to focus on one game and Kobe would be the only guy talking. I thought we'd get to see a lot more behind the scenes, in the locker room, practice, on the plane traveling. Just showing one game gets tedious rather quickly...

Draco
05-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Documentaries are supposed to be objective.. this is not really that. I think I'm done.

cwilson21
05-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow this is terrible. Yeah let's see some more of Kobe watching from the bench. It's worse than a director's commentary on a snuff film.

JordansBulls
05-16-2009, 08:48 PM
So, 15 minutes in... and this is worse than Santa Clause 3. I've never seen a movie focused SO much on someone and be SO boring in my life. No offense to Kobe, offense to Spike Lee... Are you serious? Go pay for your Knicks tickets by getting a real job sir, not by making awful documentaries.

I thought it would be like Space Jam or "He got game" or even "Blue Chips"

tadmanny
05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
The only thing I'm getting from this is that Kobe needs to STFU. He talks way too damn much during the game. It doesn't even seem like anyone else says anything. He's more of a coach than Phil. It's weird. Shut up Kobe.

EddieB
05-16-2009, 08:50 PM
The only thing I'm getting from this is that Kobe needs to STFU. He talks way too damn much during the game. It doesn't even seem like anyone else says anything. He's more of a coach than Phil. It's weird. Shut up Kobe.

but you are watching it, i expect high ratings :clap:, it sparked a lot of attention already in this thread

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
A Mutombo Documentary would have been EPIC!

ManRam
05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Halftime is probably the only thing I'm going to like. I've always wanted to see what goes on throughout the entire duration of half-time. How much changing of game plans, match ups, etc. is happening...or if that's all just fabricated happening to act like coaches do more than they actually do.

I think a documentary, narrated by Kobe, over the span of more than just one game, with some in game action like this entire work is, would be a lot more interesting.

Cool idea Spike...I thought it sounded cool too, at the time...

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Did you miss half-time? It already happened.

Kyle916
05-16-2009, 08:55 PM
This is boring...

bleedprple&gold
05-16-2009, 08:55 PM

That's what he's supposed to do as the leader of the team. Be an extension of the coach on the floor. Also nobody else has a mic so even if they're talking you don't hear them

jetsfan28
05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
*See Kobe roaming on defense*
"This game, I roamed a lot on defense"

For those who aren't watching, that's basically what it is. It's awful.

ManRam
05-16-2009, 08:58 PM
That's what he's supposed to do as the leader of the team. Be an extension of the coach on the floor. Also nobody else has a mic so even if they're talking you don't hear them

I agree. I don't care that he talks so much...he is the leader. This quote explains why I'm disappointed...

“I don’t think a lot of fans understand the amount of communication and execution that goes into the game of basketball – at least on our team,” Bryant says in his voiceover. “[But] this is funny watching this because I didn’t realize I talk that damn much!”

I think if anyone played basketball past the age of 8 you know how much communication there is. It's just not anything new...or insightful...or anything. It just wasn't doing it for me. If the point of this is to show how he communicates with his team...I don't care. I want so much more...

He's just telling me what's happening...what I can obviously see is happening.

There was a ton of potential...but I think Spike flopped on this one.

Mike_P
05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Gentlemen

I watched the show till halftime and I agree it's like watching a boring Lakers game. Had to switch to the NASCAR all-star race. I really looked forward to this special on Kobe.

Semper Fi
Mike

jetsfan28
05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree. I don't care that he talks so much...he is the leader. This quote explains why I'm disappointed...

I think if anyone played basketball past the age of 8 you know how much communication there is. It's just not anything new...or insightful...or anything. It just wasn't doing it for me. If the point of this is to show how he communicates with his team...I don't care. I want so much more...

He's just telling me what's happening...what I can obviously see is happening.

There was a ton of potential...but I think Spike flopped on this one.
Kobe, as great of a player as he is, isn't that interesting of a guy. You get LeBron in there, maybe with Mo and/or Delonte, you get something a bit more interesting. But Kobe tries to hard to so so analytical, it doesn't work.

iluvsports2much
05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
i havnt watched much,but so far i actually like it...ive always wanted to know wat players and a supersatr like kobe says on the court...but i agree,he says some things in the film that dont need to be said that are boring as ****...it could of been put together better and wow,kobe SUCKS at narrating...but i like how he explains wats goin threw his mind at certain times and wat he thinks he should do in certain situations...i agree it definately coulda been better tho

ManRam
05-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Kobe, as great of a player as he is, isn't that interesting of a guy. You get LeBron in there, maybe with Mo and/or Delonte, you get something a bit more interesting. But Kobe tries to hard to so so analytical, it doesn't work.

Too true. I wanted to see what the buzz outside of PSD was on this...I found this blurb...

Yet, if Lee had to pick someone, there is no doubt LeBron James would have been a better subject. Bryant is known as a control freak who guards his privacy closer than he does Ray Allen. There is no way Bryant was going to let the public see the real him, whoever that is.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/05/16/sportsextra/doc4a0e26415dff4859715894.txt

I agree 100%.

And BTW...Delonte is absolutely hilarious. Such a character. I'd watch that just to listen to him.

GspLAL
05-16-2009, 09:06 PM
u guys are all just laker haters tryin to find another reason to hate

I'm a Laker fan and it's pretty boring. The first few minutes was interesting, hearing Kobe talk to his teamates during games, during halftime etc, but after a while it's just boring.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-16-2009, 09:08 PM
this woulda been a lot more interesting if it was Kevin Garnett.

mutha ****as aint ****. GEt that **** outa here!

Woof. AHHHHH!!!!!

lol this isnt too bad
i guess

jetsfan28
05-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Too true. I wanted to see what the buzz outside of PSD was on this...I found this blurb...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/05/16/sportsextra/doc4a0e26415dff4859715894.txt

I agree 100%.

And BTW...Delonte is absolutely hilarious. Such a character. I'd watch that just to listen to him.

That's why I'd put him in it. LeBron can be a funny guy, but he could also be an analytical guy like Kobe. Delonte would stop him from being too much of that. LeBron is probably just as smart as Kobe on the floor, and a more interesting person.

The only problem with that documentary would be that LeBron doesn't touch the ball as much throughout the game, but any good director could make it work.

Super.
05-16-2009, 09:09 PM
I was hoping for something a little better.

Got bored, undusted the VHS and popped in Rush Hour. Movie about LA that made me laugh my *** off

bleedprple&gold
05-16-2009, 09:09 PM
this woulda been a lot more interesting if it was Kevin Garnett.

mutha ****as aint ****. GEt that **** outa here!

Woof. AHHHHH!!!!!

lol this isnt too bad
i guess

Lol, there would be too much bleeping if Garnett did it. Maybe if it wasn't being shown on national TV

GspLAL
05-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Main problem with this is that it's based on ONE FREAKIN GAME, there is no day 2, day 3, different teams, different perspective's etc, just one.

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 09:13 PM
They should have done the whole team then... rather than just one guy for 90 minutes. Cavs would have been good, Clippers would have been silent, Rockets would be funny to hear Ron Artest being crazy, Celtics would be bleeped, Magic would be- GIVE IT TO DWIGHT, and New York would have been AWESOME! Spike Lee would have made that one much better.

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Do you guys think they should have done more on the road and game-planning rather than a whole documentary on just one game?

bleedprple&gold
05-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Do you guys think they should have done more on the road and game-planning rather than a whole documentary on just one game?

Yea I think that would definitely make it better. Just one game gets boring pretty fast

GspLAL
Great answer about the MVP question, doesn't get better than that.

ManRam
They should have done the whole team then... rather than just one guy for 90 minutes. Cavs would have been good, Clippers would have been silent, Rockets would be funny to hear Ron Artest being crazy, Celtics would be bleeped, Magic would be- GIVE IT TO DWIGHT, and New York would have been AWESOME! Spike Lee would have made that one much better.

While I do agree...this film was based off of Spike's desire to see the game through Kobe's eyes in lieu of Kobe's 60+ game vs. the Knicks. And, as Spike explains...

There was a film at the Cannes Film Festival a couple of years ago about the soccer great [Zinedine] Zidane. In the film, they had several cameras on him the whole time. I had never seen anything like it before in sports, and I got to thinking … ya know, this would work even better for basketball. So I reached out to Kobe, coach Phil Jackson, Dr. Buss, his daughter, commissioner David Stern and ESPN. And we got it done.

He had a great idea...but it just isn't as appealing as it sounds. Maybe he'll try something else...but can't blame him for trying.

Teeboy1487
05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
It would have been better as a reality show about kobe and his teammates during this game. I couldn't watch 5 minutes. Although, I not big on documentaries because they bore me to tears. Spike Lee should have added kobe's teammates to this documentary. It would have been more interesting. I love the lakers but this is documentary is boring.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-16-2009, 09:19 PM
this thing flopped. poorly done. had so much potential.

yes i know, tony parker is quick.

GSRaider
05-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I thought it was good...

Cool insights into kobe's game...

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Kobe is a quick changer.

Reyes6
05-16-2009, 09:26 PM
It's over!!!!!!!!!! Next time Spike should take pointers on 'Year of the Yao' or 'Zen of Bobby V'.

GspLAL
05-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Ending picked it up, liked the ending when he was on the bench and the game was over, and everything after that. Was pretty cool to see that they say their prayers, wasn't expecting that.

jetsfan28
05-16-2009, 09:27 PM
While I do agree...this film was based off of Spike's desire to see the game through Kobe's eyes in lieu of Kobe's 60+ game vs. the Knicks. And, as Spike explains...

He had a great idea...but it just isn't as appealing as it sounds. Maybe he'll try something else...but can't blame him for trying.

Zidane is a bad *** mother ****er who headbutts people in the chest. Much more interesting.

EddieB
05-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I enjoyed it very much, it was a great show. :clap:

BTownTeamsRKing
next time, spike should do a documentary of JD Drew during a Red Sox vs. Orioles game in june. Might be slightly more exciting.

madiaz3
Santa Clause 3, you kiddin' me?

Draco
05-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Interesting that Spike choose to film a Laker game against the 06/07 defending champs.. probably hoping the Lakers would win it all that year and have a bigger story and more to talk about.

Teeboy1487
05-16-2009, 09:33 PM
The ending was great. It might have saved this documentary.

rapswin98
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
:clap::clap::clap: i liked it

king4day
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm still interested in seeing some of it when I can.

OnWisconsin2007
05-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I liked it a lot. I've never seen a basketball game from that angle before. And why is Kobe narrating? Cuz he's Kobe MOTHER****ING Bryant. It's not supposed to be action packed. If you are a fan of basketball you would like this movie, it gives details about the game that one rarely sees. It's about just watching the game and hearing the intracacies. People now a days won't like something unless it's got fireballs and fights and racy sexual plots. People can't just watch something and appreciate it.

mjj221
05-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Spike Lee has to get Kobe's dick out of his mouth. This was awful.

LAKERMANIA
05-16-2009, 09:46 PM
It was bad.

Only parts I liked was Pre-game, Halftime, and Post game. Especially that Phil Jackson and the entire team prays after a Sunday game? I didn't expect that at ALL.

BiggNewt
05-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I thought it was decent, it was nothing special but I wasn't expecting it to be. It was an in-depth look at every aspect to Kobe's game during an NBA game, which is exactly what the previews and even the title implies.

It was interesting to see him predict plays before they happened, it was most of the time. A lot of times he would say something to Sasha or Jordan and they would either do it or not and whatever Kobe said, would happen (corner 3's, one dribble pullup for Jordan.

It was Kobe doin' Work, sorry it wasn't Kobe saves the president in 24 hours with a Rocket Launcher and a bagpack of C4.

AMC31
05-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree 100%.

Delonte is hilarious, he is probably one of the funniest guys in the NBA, plus his voice makes him even funnier haha :laugh2:

Also, kobe doin work was awful

slipcid
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
good documentary... i like it...

{º¿º}
05-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Kobe is the basketball Prima Donna that 5'1-ish Spike Lee wishes he could have been.

Judging by the previews it looked like little more than Spike Lee showcasing his own boring wet dream.

Kdirt
05-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Boooooring, they should atleast show him working out, eating at home, stuff he does to prep for a game. No one wants to watch an old Lakers game with Kobe bossing around his teammates.

R-H-C-P
05-16-2009, 10:13 PM
kobe's the best basketball player in the world, not the best director/actor or whatever, it was his job to take us through the documentary, and the directors job to cut and choose what we are going to hear or watch........I think all of you missed the point of the whole thing, it was more about the work kobe puts in at any given day, both on his game and leadership......I know for a fact that if this was lebron james you all would be all over his nuts and screaming out "LEBRON JAMES", "LEBRON JAMES"....for kobe bryant this is all part of being the most covenant basketball player in the world, I guess thats what happens when your at the top, everybody tries and bring you down at any chance they have.............................................. .................................................. ............................with all this said, i was a little dissapointed on the fact that i thought it was going to be a more insightful commentary on the life of kobe, more than just one game i guess.....

julio
05-16-2009, 10:15 PM
i remember the jordan documentaries,awesome.learning 2 fly,airtime,ect.

J$mo0th_3o5
05-16-2009, 10:19 PM
It should of been Dwyane Wade instead of Kobe:cool:

MJ-BULLS
05-16-2009, 10:22 PM
i think its pretty cool :cool:

Sox Appeal
05-16-2009, 10:23 PM
good documentary... i like it...

Yeah, same here. I thought it was pretty good, and I for one, actually liked Kobe narrating the documentary. He provided some interesting insight on what he does while he's on the floor. That's something Mark Jackson or JVG (I've seen some people suggest they should have narrated this) couldn't have done.

BigEric
05-16-2009, 10:29 PM
If you're a Kobe/ Lakers fan, you probably enjoyed it. Us others thought it was as dry as it gets. It the same crap for an hour talking about what he did, and little comments.

GoatMilk
05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
i'm a laker fan, but i thought it was boring as hell
i couldn't finish it. 25 minutes was enough

Sox Appeal
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
If you're a Kobe/ Lakers fan, you probably enjoyed it. Us others thought it was as dry as it gets. It the same crap for an hour talking about what he did, and little comments.

I'm not a Lakers fan, or a Kobe fan, and I thought it was pretty cool. :shrug:

D_Rose1118
05-16-2009, 10:47 PM
i loved it

goku
05-16-2009, 10:48 PM
i like sebastian telfairs way better

JoeRealist
05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
They should have done it like a Hard Knocks episode. I realize it's about Kobe, but having the camera fixated on him for 90 minutes is incredibly indulgent and not fair to his teammates.

kblo247
05-16-2009, 11:05 PM
I said it in the Lakers forum

I liked hearing him breaking down 1 tape, but I realize that that isn't some guys cup of tea.

What I took from it was that he has a great IQ and does stuff deliberately to set up situations for later in the game, and his relationship with some of the guys.

Fisher - ultimate respect and trust, talked about him like he was his tag team partner who he could take into any battle with him and that they are in sync without even speaking

Sasha - little brother who he encourages, but teases for fun and seems to have a sense of when to pick him up or put him down; such as telling him to shoot no matter how cold he is, yet questioning his set

Lamar - man love for his abilities and role and thinks that he is what holds them all together, thus the team going as he goes

Jordan - a bit of his younger self, stubborn, head strong, but wants to win

Pau - someone who he has to boost, he has to get him going and help him out, but in the end it is worth it

Luke - the exact opposite of Pau, they can trade verbal jabs such as Luke calling him on his kids and their MVP signs and Kobe giving him the finger, I think he respects his IQ the most because he pointed out something to Luke and Luke was able to fill in the blank himself whether than being told what to do like his other teammates

Ariza - he was hurt when it was filmed, but he seemed to be engaged and soaking in the moment and what was going on for future reference

Phil - a friend now, like Mr. Miagi and Daniel they challenge each other, respect the others opinion, and give each other rope because they realize that checking their egos may be in their best interest.

Tex, Rambis, Jim, Shaw, Hamblen, and Viti - his tutors who help him see things early on and he understands that without them he wouldn't be the player he is today

I liked it and the fact that it showed the respect between the Lakers and Spurs franchises and the different personalities of this team

It's not for everyone, but it gives you an idea about what makes him and some of his guys tick.

borat
05-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Spike lee fails at life. He ruined what could have been a really exciting and great thing.

mickybrneyes20
05-16-2009, 11:22 PM
They did all the work, footage, what the hell did he add? He's a bum that's why he makes movies like "he hate me." We all hate you and your Knicks still suck!

still1ballin
05-16-2009, 11:24 PM
i fell asleep through it

snickers
Wait!! I think "Kobe doin work" airs sunday at 12.30 pm pacific live on ABC!! Don't miss it!

SJSHARKIES

I'm not a Lakers fan, but I'm a fan of basketball in general, you don't have to be a Lakers fan to like it necessarily. I expected a little more, it was just one game, with Kobe wired and Kobe commenting on it. Pretty lame to me, it would of been interesting to see Kobe in different aspects. Like his personal life of being a father, his family and so forth.

NYMetros
05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
It was terrible. Very very very boring. I could see why Lakers fans would like it, but that obviously wasn't what it was intended to do. If only Lakers fans were supposed to like it, then why would they put it on ESPN? I expect better from Spike Lee. It was basically just watching a game played by Kobe Bryant, and him telling Jordan Farmer that he sucks.

gangis2169
05-16-2009, 11:38 PM
This documentary was awful to Laker fans and other teams fans. But this documentary is something that I would definitely have my kids and or aspiring Basketball players watch this. I have never seen something so great in terms of showing the love for the game and the overall work ethic / heart and IQ. This documentary was awsome! I know the people that watched it with me wanted more of Kobe at home or Kobe's rituals and what not but he literally dissected the game and gave great input about how things work. This is what I was expecting and it's what I got. Loved it. I dont care about what kind of TV he has at home or what kind of music he listens to on the way to the game. That isn't a documentary that's a episode of MTV Cribs. To every aspiring basketball player in the world watch this documentary cause you got to see a genius at work. It was great just a little to long.

gangis2169
05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not a Lakers fan, but I'm a fan of basketball in general, you don't have to be a Lakers fan to like it necessarily. I expected a little more, it was just one game, with Kobe wired and Kobe commenting on it. Pretty lame to me, it would of been interesting to see Kobe in different aspects. Like his personal life of being a father, his family and so forth.

You and everybody else where expecting MTV Cribs. I'm glad it wasn't like that who gives a s**t about that. Loved the whole aspect of it but it was just too long that's all!

kblo247
05-16-2009, 11:48 PM
It is a good for basketball players and basketball fans, but it is not for fans who want to see a star in a different environment or don't care about the intricacies of the game of basketball.

Some other posters and I fall into the first category, but apparently there are a lot of posters who fall into the latter of the two categories.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-16-2009, 11:56 PM
:sleep:

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-16-2009, 11:58 PM
That crap was so boring, I had to pull out the peanut butter and see if my dog wanted to play

iam brett favre
05-17-2009, 12:02 AM

There's not enough motivation on that team on that team to give you that :shrug:

:p

Really though, yeah I was real dissapointed..its literally him watching a game and talking about it

Spurred1
05-17-2009, 12:21 AM
It had a terrible review in this morning's paper. The reviewer said that it would not appeal to basketball fans, but to Kobe fanatics. Looks like it didn't even captivate that many Kobe fans.

TopsyTurvy
05-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Documentaries are supposed to be objective.. this is not really that. I think I'm done.

Are you crazy? Documentaries, like history, are all subjective. Perspective is the key to everything.

I'm also not sure if people mistook the scope of what was being displayed with Spike Lee's effort or not. It seems many people had high expectations for what really does come across as a blasé, if at times boring, documentary, but this is the simplicity of the job of a professional basketball player.

I found it supremely interesting to hear Kobe talk about the flow of the game and more of the technical aspects of the sport including player tendencies and trends. Another portion of the presentation that was simply perfect was the description of how large a part of on court communication is a part of the game for him.

As for the documentary failing to show baskets, end results of plays, etc. I highly doubt that was the point. The scoreboard is referenced to several times to further setup Kobe's comments on the ebb and flow of the game, not to follow the game. Spike and Kobe allude to not having covered his historic performance at the Garden, but I feel that would have been worse than this effort. Too much focus on the selfish aspects of the game and more narcissistic presentation.

I don't think the documentary is for everyone - fans of basketball or otherwise - but in terms of presentation, there is beauty in simplicity. I would gladly watch another presentation following another consummate pro-player in any sport.

SJSHARKIES
05-17-2009, 12:44 AM
You and everybody else where expecting MTV Cribs. I'm glad it wasn't like that who gives a s**t about that. Loved the whole aspect of it but it was just too long that's all!

It's interesting to see athletes from a different perspective, we always see the side of them that is competitive on the court/field, but off the court their a totally dif. person. I think it would of been interesting to see, I'm not trying to say show his house or anything. They could of mixed it up and done it over a period of games rather than just one. They focus on one game, and Kobe takes it through his perspective and breaks the game down for us. Pretty lame to me.

t-mac1nukka
05-17-2009, 12:46 AM
notice the only people who liked this boring film that spike lee calls a "documentary" are laker fans.

TopsyTurvy
05-17-2009, 12:47 AM
notice the only people who liked this boring film that spike lee calls a "documentary" are laker fans.

I'm not a Lakers fan at all and I enjoyed the presentation enough to watch a couple parts twice. :cool:

pete_one
05-17-2009, 12:50 AM
coming from a lakers and kobe fan, that **** was freaking boring.

SJSHARKIES
05-17-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't think it was all terrible, there were some parts that I liked. Kobe really showed the technical parts of the game. What's going through Kobe's mind during the play, how he's trying to setup his teammates, it was interesting, but after a while ZZZZZZ.

Kabowdos
05-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Which makes it even more disappointing. It should appeal to basketball falls. The idea sounds cool, but I feel it's horribly executed. I don't hate it because it's all about Kobe, I hate it because it's boring, and not even that ground-breaking. I think Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson provide more interesting insight honestly. I'd rather listen to them.

I watch documentaries about people I hate all the time...and have enjoyed many of them.

I guarantee Spike didn't make this in the hopes that only Kobe fans like it.

I agree. I am a Lakers fan and watching it right now. It is Kobe "micked up" but for the whole game.

If you are really interested in what is going on in Kobe's head during the entire game, then you'll like it. Kobe is just talking about basketball and what should have been done or what was done. It is nothing exciting.

NYK|NYY
05-17-2009, 12:56 AM
That was pretty brutal, and for some reason I felt Kobe was coming off as fake during the mic'd up stuff. It just didn't feel real, like he was trying hard to impress the audience.

DJ CHACH
05-17-2009, 12:57 AM
didnt watch it yet..but if it sux, its kobr's fault..he took it all away from spike lee

TopsyTurvy
05-17-2009, 01:03 AM
That was pretty brutal, and for some reason I felt Kobe was coming off as fake during the mic'd up stuff. It just didn't feel real, like he was trying hard to impress the audience.

You picked up that vibe? I didn't there was anything disingenuous about anything in there except maybe overzealous editing of profanity to keep ESPN from getting fined... :rolleyes:

DRUNKCHIKSDIGME
05-17-2009, 01:09 AM

I'm not a Laker fan by any means, BUT we all know kobe is motivated I felt compelled to listen to how driven he is straight from the horse's mouth I was fine with it.

And for the kids watching this is a example of arguably the best ballplayer in the game being focused and constantly figuring ways to become better. With that said, I can only imagine what MJ would've been like in a piece like this.

Vinny642
05-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Waste of an hour, u know lost time is hard to come by

YankeeFan89
05-17-2009, 01:13 AM
haha i saw parts of the rerun on espn2....it was ok for 5 mins but then it got too repetitive.

cwilson21
05-17-2009, 01:17 AM
i like sebastian telfairs way better

Agreed

GREATNESS ONE
05-17-2009, 01:17 AM
I liked it.

Luv Da New Pack
05-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't know if it's Kobe or just hearing a guy commentate every minute detail of his game. I, also, think it may have been better with more games and day-to-day life. I personally like more of the behind-the-scenes and a little of what is said that we can't hear in play calling but it does need variety.

Stuff like "A lot of people don't like Bruce because he holds, fights, claws but I like it because it reminds me of the 80's" was kinda ugh.

NBA-FAN4EVER
05-17-2009, 01:48 AM
I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that Spike Lee didn't have creative control. So maybe that explains some of the complaints people have.

Spike didn't. KObe's people did

MickeyMgl
05-17-2009, 02:48 AM
As a Laker fan, I hereby offer amnesty from "hater" accusations to anyone who wants to call this documentary boring. It's boring.

Not because it's Kobe. Not because it's Lee. I just feel it was too focused on one game. Some interesting things, but not enough. For the first time, I get the feeling that Kobe could turn into a pretty good coach one day.

But mostly it was boring.

Cromedome
05-17-2009, 02:51 AM
I watched 14 minutes of this and then started to fast forward only to find out it was more game play after play after play action FROM A YEAR AGO. Maybe if I was a Laker fan or lived in L.A. ...this BORING take on a day in the life of Kobe would appeal to me.

Maybe this show would have been better if it came on a week or 2 after the game was actually played....but we're talking about 1 year and a couple of weeks to only focus on 1 game? No thanks.

Game_Over
05-17-2009, 02:52 AM
I think I saw on the first post Spike Lee was a part of this and if so than I want nothing to do with his racist propaganda.. This may not be but thats what Spike Lee is about and I want no part of it.

Reyes6
05-17-2009, 03:02 AM
Basically if I wanted my future son/daughter to learn the game of basketball I would pick up DVD's of Red Auerbach's (may have butchered name sorry) DVD's and Better Basketball with Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, and Chauncey Billups... Plus a little JJ Reddick.

For a few minutes, it's not bad... for 90 minutes, it's ridiculously redundant. Had it been a game 7 in the finals or something, where I could feel the intensity, I would care. But a playoff game in L.A. where the crowd was semi- in to it... Meh. Plus you have what people claim to be the most boring team in the NBA in the San Antonio Spurs. No offense of course to Spurs fans, just what people say.

I like documentaries, I really do. This just didn't move... at all... when it was the end of the first half I felt like I had just watched about 2 whole games.

Kobe Doin' Work gets a D imo.

Draco
05-17-2009, 03:32 AM
I wonder why so many Laker fans didn't know this was about 1 game.. I knew that and I wasn't even anticipating this film and wouldn't have bothered tuning in for 15 minutes had someone not posted this thread today.

Beno7500
05-17-2009, 03:43 AM
So boring

JoeRealist
05-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Delonte is hilarious, he is probably one of the funniest guys in the NBA, plus his voice makes him even funnier haha :laugh2:

Also, kobe doin work was awful

Dude, you couldn't get a picture of Mo Williams in a Cavs uniform in your sig? LOL Epic Fail.

Lizard King
05-17-2009, 04:48 AM
I didn't watch it, but I'm going to, and I'll enjoy it.

"You're only saying that because Celtics fans hate Kobe, and you hate us. Stop whining, the Bulls lost already."

PennyMy#1
05-17-2009, 05:03 AM
*See Kobe roaming on defense*
"This game, I roamed a lot on defense"

For those who aren't watching, that's basically what it is. It's awful.

Yep ... that's it. You don't have to be Laker Hater to hate that ...

BTownTeamsRKing
05-17-2009, 08:17 AM
If I did this, I would have shown the Finals. not some boring regular season easy win.

he also couldnt have picked a more boring opponent.

Finals would be tough to film, so actually a game vs. the Celtics woulda been sick.

pippsux
05-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Yes it was. Kobe talked me to sleep. :sleep:

MiamiHeat
05-17-2009, 11:14 AM
it was kinda boring

I have a question though
is one of Kobe's daughter have some type of disease or problem?

Phitin' Phan
05-17-2009, 12:44 PM
It would have been MUCH better if it was a group of people doing the commentary. A bit of Phil then Kobe, maybe some teammates. Also some former Lakers, and other experts, but listening to just Kobe was awful.

gangis2169
05-17-2009, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Reyes6;9496956]Basically if I wanted my future son/daughter to learn the game of basketball I would pick up DVD's of Red Auerbach's (may have butchered name sorry) DVD's and Better Basketball with Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, and Chauncey Billups... Plus a little JJ Reddick.

Lol and your son or daughter would suck!!!!!

DRUNKCHIKSDIGME
05-17-2009, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Reyes6;9496956]Basically if I wanted my future son/daughter to learn the game of basketball I would pick up DVD's of Red Auerbach's (may have butchered name sorry) DVD's and Better Basketball with Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, and Chauncey Billups... Plus a little JJ Reddick.

Lol and your son or daughter would suck!!!!!

did you really have to go there?

magichatnumber9
05-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Kobe doing squat. Spike is garbage. His movies are so bad that in living colour clowned that trash.

SeoulBeatz
05-17-2009, 06:01 PM
kobe is one of my favorite players, but this "documentary" was probably the most boring thing i've chosen to watch in my life.

Eagles_Guy
05-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Spike Lee is a terrible director.

Just really really awful.

MickeyMgl
05-17-2009, 06:15 PM
If I did this, I would have shown the Finals. not some boring regular season easy win.

he also couldnt have picked a more boring opponent.

Finals would be tough to film, so actually a game vs. the Celtics woulda been sick.

Or the MSG 61 game.

Vinny642
05-17-2009, 06:49 PM
On Point craps on this

Deezy Dee 24
05-17-2009, 07:10 PM
it was aight

DRUNKCHIKSDIGME
05-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Kobe doing squat. Spike is garbage. His movies are so bad that in living colour clowned that trash.

I disagree, "Maclcom X" was good so was "Do the Right Thing". I persoanlly liked "School Daze" but I think a lot black people like myself relate to that flick. But he's had some others like "Jungle Fever" or "Mo Better Blues" that were intresting.