PDA

View Full Version : Kris Medlen called up

uncblue2332
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Kris Medlen has been called up from Gwinnett to take Jo-Jo's spot in the rotation. Jo-Jo will move to the pen and Kris Medlen's first start will be on Tuesday vs the Rockies

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hshaOyiMJGCoBUkyAyTknU0QvSCQD986T5EG2

dgrossman84
05-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I understand that medlen has put up the better numbers thus far, but is that the only reason hes getting the call over hanson? Whats the word down in braves country? The fantasy community wants to know...

iesportsfan
05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
If Reyes is moving to the bullpen, who's the odd man out? I saw AJC was saying it will be Bennet.I think Carlye should be the one out not Bennet.What do you think?

BravoFan3736
05-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I understand that medlen has put up the better numbers thus far, but is that the only reason hes getting the call over hanson? Whats the word down in braves country? The fantasy community wants to know...

If I looked it up right I believe this works with the normal day that Medlen would pitch normally at AAA so that may have some consideration to it as well instead of Morton.

A_Brave_Pack
05-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Furthermore, this could very well be showcasing Medlen's talents come Trading Deadline time. I believe that Bowman suggested this same idea in his blog that has been hyperlinked.

The Braves will need a POWER LF bat if they want to compete this year, and Medlen could net a very nice OF bat at the TD. I'm not saying the Braves WILL trade Medlen (especially if they fall out of contention) but they might entertain the idea if the price is right...

A_Brave_Pack
05-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Buddy has been real consistent for the Braves since he showed up out of nowhere a few seasons ago. I like Bennett as well, but his inconsistency has bugged me recently. I'm honestly not sure why JoJo is going to stay on the MLB roster, other than that he may have to pass through waivers (?).

I wouldn't be shocked if Frank Wren already has a trade in place for JoJo, but does not want to pull the trigger until Monday night or Tuesday morning when he needs the roster spot for Medlen.

uncblue2332
05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Jo-Jo with his plus fastball is a great setup for a bullpen roll especially with him having trouble staying consistent inning to inning..i think he could be a good setup man and maybe a future closer

BravoFan3736
05-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Jo-Jo with his plus fastball is a great setup for a bullpen roll especially with him having trouble staying consistent inning to inning..i think he could be a good setup man and maybe a future closer

Maybe a LOOGY but not a freaken closer.

I will guess that Parr will be the odd man out

wolfman2
05-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I am a little curious now, I am going to the Gwinett-Iron Pigs game in Allentown tomorrow night, who will be pitching? I think Medlen was originally slated, I was looking forward to seeing him pitch, but I'd rather have him pitch good in the pros.

MrJones
05-15-2009, 10:57 PM
It's going to be really interesting to see what the Braves do if Kris' success continues in the Bigs. IF he picks up 2-3 wins with an ERA under 2 do they still send him packing back to Gwinnett just because TG wants a go at it ???

The situation I'd like to have is for TG to hang 'em up, Medlen to be great and stay up, and JV to be traded at the AS break for a power bat and to make room for Hanson... mmm, but that's just me dreaming.

robdizzle3
05-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Tuesday has just gotten better for me.I will be seeing Kris Medlen pitch his regular season debut and also UFC Undisputed 2009 is coming out as well.A Braves win would just sweeting the pot.Ive never seen Medlen pitch so what should I expect?

MrJones
05-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Tuesday has just gotten better for me.I will be seeing Kris Medlen pitch his regular season debut and also UFC Undisputed 2009 is coming out as well.A Braves win would just sweeting the pot.Ive never seen Medlen pitch so what should I expect?

A decent hitting pitcher who is going to miss his share of bats with a 90-93 fastball and a plus curve. Ive got his stats side by side for the season thus far w/ Tommy Hanson on the Tommy Hanson thread... and I must say all his numbers thus far are impressive.

MrJones
05-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh... and not that it's a big deal, but he is a switch hitter.

howiend
05-16-2009, 12:40 AM
I like this move. Bring up the hottest pitcher and see how he does. I definitely don't see the Braves trading him. I would like to see jo-jo get a shot at the bullpen but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves trade him before tuesday. If they don't I think parr will go down. If jo-jo becomes a reliever I would like to see him throw his fastball more and let her fly for an inning. I think he could become a good lefty set-up guy.

Jon93405
05-16-2009, 01:16 AM
The odd man out could be Jo-Jo. Does he have options left? Medlen won't be called up till the day of his start so they could easily send Reyes back to AAA.

But I think Jo-Jo could flourish in the bullpen. Looking at his starts:

4-18 - 1ER through first 5IN
4-28 - 0ER through first 7IN
5-3 - 1ER through first 5IN
5-8 - 2ER through first 3IN
5-13 - 0ER through first 2IN

Jo-Jo really gets hit the second or 3rd time through the order. He actually pitches pretty well in the first few innings. He could be well suited for a long relief role, going 2 or 3 innings before the lineup turns over.

runningcircles
05-16-2009, 03:04 AM
^Thanks for the info Jon. Being as upset with Jo Jo as I've been so far this year, I didn't even realize he'd been that effective in the early innings. I guess I just figured that as bad as he's been, over the last calendar year, that he'd be heading back to Gwinnett to finish the rest of the season as a starter.

The problem I have with turning Jo Jo into a relief pitcher, is that I still think he has the TALENT to be a very productive starter at the ML level. I just don't know the best way of getting that talent to produce consistent results at this level. I mean, honestly, if you look at Glavine or Smoltz, and their success at the big league level, over the same amount of starts Jo Jo has had, it's really not that different. The big difference between Jo Jo and those 2 guys is that we were a bottom of the cellar NL team at that time, and now we're trying to make a playoff run. You can't have automatic losses penciled in every 5th day when you're hoping to play October baseball. You can when you know you'll be drafting in the top 5 the following season! Also, at least with Smoltz, I know he made DRASTIC improvements over the 2nd half of his first full season. I can't remember with Glavine, as I think he was already a top of the rotation type pitcher when Smoltz turned the corner.

I HATE the idea of trading Javy Vazquez, though it may be the one that makes the most sense. I really think he has the stuff to be a ACE, and I also think that IF that is going to happen, there's no better situation for it to happen in. We have a lot of talented arms competing for a spot in the rotation, but other than Lowe and JJ, we don't have anybody else that we KNOW we can count on, when we're talking about THIS season. Plus, I just don't see how effective of a power hitter we can get for him, unless he pitches like an ace from now until the ASB. I think he has the stuff to be a front of the rotation starter, and I think he's in the perfect situation for that to happen, but I don't see that happening by that time. Even if it does, it's not a large enough sample to get a true cleanup hitting outfielder, unless we package some prospects with him. I mean, we just traded 2 prospects (1 high ceiling guy) to get him a couple of months ago. How much better of a return can a guy whose got nearly 10 years of experience under his belt net in half a season?

rtgthree
05-16-2009, 04:34 AM

According to Frank Wren, they called up Medlen because they know the assignment is likely only temporary (i.e., until Glavine comes back). They don't want to call up Hanson until they know they can call him up for good.

Maybe a LOOGY but not a freaken closer.

I wouldn't say closer either, but I could definitely see a J.P. Howell redux here. Same idea: left-hander with good stuff who never could quite figure out how to start. Joe Maddon moves him to the 'pen and he becomes a reliable, flexible, multi-inning dynamo in relief.

It's going to be really interesting to see what the Braves do if Kris' success continues in the Bigs. IF he picks up 2-3 wins with an ERA under 2 do they still send him packing back to Gwinnett just because TG wants a go at it ???

The situation I'd like to have is for TG to hang 'em up, Medlen to be great and stay up, and JV to be traded at the AS break for a power bat and to make room for Hanson... mmm, but that's just me dreaming.

Yep, you're dreaming. Barring another setback, Glavine will return when he's ready and Medlen will return to Gwinnett, no matter how well he's pitching. Only thing that could happen (except an injury to another starter) might be if Kawakami's yips don't settle down over the next few weeks.

BRAVE KID
05-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Medlen, not Hanson, to get call for Braves
Less heralded prospect to start Tuesday in place of Reyes

ATLANTA -- Tommy Hanson remains that special prospect, whom the Braves will continue to nurture in the Minors until the opportunity arises for him to assume a lasting spot in the Atlanta rotation.

With that opportunity still a few weeks or months away, Hanson will remain with Triple-A Gwinnett and watch from afar as his good friend Kris Medlen gains the first crack to test his talented right arm in the Majors.

Having spent the past five weeks dominating the International League, Medlen will make his Major League debut against the Rockies at Turner Field on Tuesday night. The 23-year-old right-hander will be starting in place of Jo-Jo Reyes, who will now assume a spot in the Braves' bullpen.

"We're looking at a small window," general manager Frank Wren said. "I think if we were looking at the long haul and there was a situation for a starter to come up and be a starter for the rest of the season, then it would probably be Tommy [Hanson]."

Medlen will likely remain in the Atlanta rotation until Tom Glavine proves that his left shoulder is healthy enough for him to begin pitching in big league games. While Glavine has said that he'd like to make a start before this month is complete, the Braves, who will owe him a $1 million bonus when he's placed on the active roster, may be more comfortable putting him in the Atlanta rotation after June arrives.

With this timetable, Medlen, who leads the International League with a 0.96 ERA, could be provided the opportunity to make at least three Major League starts before having to return to the Minors. The Braves didn't want to put Hanson in a position where they might be forced to send him back to the Minors after providing him his first taste of the Majors.

Hanson, who is widely regarded as one of baseball's top right-handed pitching prospects, will take a 1.99 ERA into his start on Saturday for Gwinnett. In 40 2/3 innings, he has registered 57 strikeouts, issued 13 walks and limited opponents to a .186 batting average.

While those numbers are impressive, they've been bested by Medlen, who has won each of his five decisions and recorded 44 strikeouts while issuing 10 walks in 37 1/3 innings. The youthful-looking hurler has limited opponents to a .152 batting average.

"It was really about who is throwing the best, and in Kris' case, he hasn't had a bad outing," Wren said. "Every time he's gone out there, he keeps getting better."

Medlen will carry a streak of 19 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings into a one- or two-inning appearance following Hanson against Buffalo on Saturday night. The tuneup outing will prevent him from making his Major League debut with seven days of rest.

"He impressed us during Spring Training, and he's been lights-out up there with Gwinnett," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "We're excited to see him pitch."

Reyes, who is 0-9 with a 6.58 ERA in his past 18 Major League starts, believes that he could benefit from this move to the bullpen. He'll now join Eric O'Flaherty as the club's two left-handed middle relievers.

"I believe there is a role for everybody in this world," Reyes said. "Who knows? This might be a blessing in disguise, and this might have been my calling from Day 1. I don't know. I guess we'll find out." braves.com

I am cool with whatever is best for the team, and if that means jo-jo being a loogy then fine but ultimately imo, his fate ends up with him being traded so I would like to get the most value for him and that would be a starter instead of a LOOGY. We'll just have to see with this.

TomahawkChopper
05-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Well the problem is he cant help his cause to get traded as a starter so hopefully at least he can put a few decent performances out of the pen to at least spark some interest.

NBA_Starter
05-16-2009, 01:26 PM

I understand we need a power bat but trade one of our most consistent pitchers over the last few weeks?! No thanks!

Spiderman 1nner
05-16-2009, 02:47 PM
this just means they don't have confidence in jo-jo as a starter. I think he can be quality in the bullpen. But I am so hyped for this move, I didn't even consider Medlen coming up until August at the earliest in spite of his unbelievable numbers in AAA. Can we have a 5 ace staff by the end of the year?

Lowe
Jurrjens
Hudson
Hanson
Medlen

ahhh I cant wait until Tuesday to see what he's got at the major league level.

dbroncs-abraves
05-16-2009, 03:57 PM
this just means they don't have confidence in jo-jo as a starter. I think he can be quality in the bullpen. But I am so hyped for this move, I didn't even consider Medlen coming up until August at the earliest in spite of his unbelievable numbers in AAA. Can we have a 5 ace staff by the end of the year?

Lowe
Jurrjens
Hudson
Hanson
Medlen

What happens to Vazquez who is one of our better pitchers right now? Are you really considering Medlen and Hanson Aces? I understand that Hanson has the ability to become one but usually pitchers dont step in right away and produce like they did in the minors, also Medlen has never been considered an ace by any scout, yes he has greatly improved but he will also be getting his first taste of MLB baseball you cannot consider these guys Aces right away maybe in a year but not right when they get called up

BravoFan3736
05-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Lowe
Jurrjens
Hudson
Hanson
Medlen

Alright don't get ahead of your self now, rookies always have rough spots to deal with and even Medlen/Hanson will be roughed up at times. Work in progress and the goal should be to have quality starts every time they go out and pitch.

Though this will create an interesting problem with KK/Vaz/Hudson on who needs to be traded to clear spot in the rotation next year. Though Medlen could being show cased to be trade bait for a RH Bat near the AS break. I would love to get Lee + Cash for Medlin/Morton + Diamond/JoJo/Locke + Frenchy. With Soriano 6m + GA 2.5m + Glavine 1m+ Gonzo3m + Javy/Hudson 11-12m will coming of the books that totals around 22-24M though we may still resign Gonzo but still leaves us with some room in payroll to pay Lee's contract next couple yrs. The braves needed a RH bat this off season and in the future since most of our power hitters are LH and need to invest now via trade for that RH bat for 2-3 yrs till CJohnson can hope to be ready with Heyward to be in the middle of the lineup. Or we can try out bid the yankees/red sox for holliday/bay but that seems more unlikely and getting that bat through trade seems more likely.

Lee in leftfield would be fine with me and could deliver what this team needs - RH Middle of the order HR powerbat.

CrippledRam
05-16-2009, 04:09 PM
MLB.com's Mark Bowman does a little trade speculatin' in his latest blog post:

The Braves are going to be looking to find some power before the trade deadline and with a surplus of arms, there may be a number of teams interested in Charlie Morton, who has allowed just four earned runs in his past 27 innings with Triple-A Gwinnett.

And don't forget what Ken Rosenthal wrote on Tuesday:

If the Braves need more offense, they will have the pitching depth to get it. Right-hander Tommy Hanson is untouchable, but he's not the team's only hot pitcher at Class AAA. Two other right-handers — Kris Medlen and Morton — figure to be coveted by other clubs, and the Braves have additional prospects at Class AA.

About that Braves' offense...my 4.93 runs per game projection hasn't been matched so far. Kelly Johnson, Garret Anderson, and Jeff Francoeur are off to slow starts, leaving the team 11th in the NL with 4.47 runs scored per game. The Braves might be OK at second with Omar Infante and Martin Prado as options, but an outfield addition would make sense. Who could add the power the Braves crave? Just to throw out a few names: Carlos Lee, Josh Willingham, Rick Ankiel, Brad Hawpe, Jermaine Dye, Austin Kearns, Aubrey Huff, and Magglio Ordonez. The majority of these would not justify giving up top young arms, though. Who would you like to see the Braves pursue?

mlbtr

Spiderman 1nner
05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
What happens to Vazquez who is one of our better pitchers right now? Are you really considering Medlen and Hanson Aces? I understand that Hanson has the ability to become one but usually pitchers dont step in right away and produce like they did in the minors, also Medlen has never been considered an ace by any scout, yes he has greatly improved but he will also be getting his first taste of MLB baseball you cannot consider these guys Aces right away maybe in a year but not right when they get called up

Scouts haven't considered him an ace because he doesn't overpower batters like Tommy Hanson does. Reality is I consider anyone who has excellent command of 3 or more pitches to have ace potential. Medlen is a very smart pitcher with 3 quality pitches, good hitter, good fielder, and pretty fast too.

As for Vazquez, yes he's doing very well for us, but he has a fairly large contract in which he has one year left on after this year and he should be the one we move for a big bat or prospects, especially since his value is peaking in my opinion.

ATLKoos16
05-16-2009, 06:17 PM

I personally think part of the reason it was Medlen and not Hanson is becuase it will only be noe or two starts most likely with Glavine coming back soon. Hanson will be up for the rest of the season once he gets called up. And its probably medlen's turn in the rotation, not Morton's is why he got the call of Charlie becuase Charlie has been pitching pretty well to from what I could tell by the stats

Jon93405
05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Here's the situation.

The Braves don't want to start the arbitration clock on either Kris or Tommy this season. They know they want to call up Tommy for a permanent spot in the rotation as soon as they can avoid him becoming super 2 eligible.

If you call up Tommy for 2 weeks, that's 2 weeks later they have to call him up when it's for good.

If you call up Kris for 2 weeks, that's not a problem, since he's option #2 and probably won't lock down a permanent spot in the rotation this season with the depth we have until late in the season if at all.

soobahk40050
05-16-2009, 11:07 PM
With Kawakami's outing today, maybe he turned a corner - he only allowed 3 ER, though in 5 innings. We are "stuck" with him anyway, so that leaves 4 spots for: Lowe, Vasquez, JJ, Hudson, Glavine, Hanson, and Medlen. Assuming Lowe and JJ are safe, we have two spots for Vasquez, Hudson, Glavine, Hanson, and Medlen. Even if Glavine retires, we have Vasquez, Hudson, Hanson, and Medlen. Hanson is untouchable, so not trade bait, Medlen migth be, my thought actually is that Huddy could be trade bait?

Either way, with the $24 million off the books this off season, we can easily find a LF and have a formidable rotation. I think we keep Vasquez until next year, and then trade him and bring up Diamond/Locke/Morton, etc. (Assuming Hanson moves up when Glavine goes and Medlen wins a spot)

bravesrule
05-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I wonder if the Braves are trying to show Medlen's stuff in the majors to deal for a good power hitter. Good SP is hard to find these days and the Braves have a lot of it.

Jon93405
05-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Either way, with the $24 million off the books this off season, we can easily find a LF and have a formidable rotation. I think we keep Vasquez until next year, and then trade him and bring up Diamond/Locke/Morton, etc. (Assuming Hanson moves up when Glavine goes and Medlen wins a spot)

Where's the $24 million coming off books from?

jmtapia
05-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Scouts haven't considered him an ace because he doesn't overpower batters like Tommy Hanson does. Reality is I consider anyone who has excellent command of 3 or more pitches to have ace potential. Medlen is a very smart pitcher with 3 quality pitches, good hitter, good fielder, and pretty fast too.

As for Vazquez, yes he's doing very well for us, but he has a fairly large contract in which he has one year left on after this year and he should be the one we move for a big bat or prospects, especially since his value is peaking in my opinion.

Actually he has 2 quality pitches in his FB and plus-curve. The 3rd pitch would be his change up. I guess you can say its been good so far since the numbers show that but i will have to wait and see how the pros approach this new pitch before i consider it a consistent pitch of his arsenal.

This is precisley what seperates Hanson from Medlen. Hanson has 4 pitches. 3 of which are plus pitches while he could throw all 4 over the plate for strikes.

As far as trading... i wouldnt touch our MLB pitchers. There's a reason why Wren had to work overtime this offseason in putting together a rotation... SP doesnt grow on trees much less established ones. If anything we should trade our MLB unproven AAA/AA pitchers for established MLB hitters. Makes more sense to me... also you could never have enough MLB pitching.

A_Brave_Pack
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
As far as trading... i wouldnt touch our MLB pitchers. There's a reason why Wren had to work overtime this offseason in putting together a rotation... SP doesnt grow on trees much less established ones. If anything we should trade our MLB unproven AAA/AA pitchers for established MLB hitters. Makes more sense to me... also you could never have enough MLB pitching.

^^^Bingo. Unlike in the video games (where no player on my 25-man roster is over 26) prospects don't always pan out. There's no restart button in the real world. I'm almost always for taking the known commodity over the ceiling of a prospect, in real life. Now in the video games... ;)

A_Brave_Pack
05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Braves.com just said that Medlen's MLB debut will be pushed back to Thursday. Just FYI.
http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090517&content_id=4786554&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

NBA_Starter
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
mlbtr

Lee or Dye would be good!

HCo HERO
05-17-2009, 10:38 PM
I actually believe if there was to be a replacement of an OF it should be Frenchy. Garrett is a wise veteran who actually will hit the sac fly and get the player consistently. Maybe French would be our fourth OF(as Defensive replacement) and release/trade Diaz. Dye should be our guy, if they are trying to cut payroll then it shouldn't take to much talent to get him.

Lineup

Infante/Kelly 2B
Yunel SS
Chipper 3B
Dye RF
Mac C
Anderson LF
Kotch 1B
Schafer CF (as long as he plays good D and OBP around .360 I don't care)

HCo HERO
05-17-2009, 10:39 PM
^^^ Of course by saying these nice things about Garrett Anderson I will be inserting my foot in my mouth. Crow taste like chicken.

jmtapia
05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
^^^G. Anderson signing was a mistake... We should have gone Diaz/B. Jones and used Diaz bat and B. Jones defense to get us the right production from that position... oh well.

flea
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
^^^G. Anderson signing was a mistake... We should have gone Diaz/B. Jones and used Diaz bat and B. Jones defense to get us the right production from that position... oh well.
This is wrong and this season will vindicate me. Anytime you have an outfield with such low production and youth it's a good idea to have a solid veteran out there. Anderson is just that and while many of you like to compare him to Adam Dunn or another bopper in his prime those discussions are pointless. We didn't have the money and we ended up getting a pretty good deal for Anderson on just a one-year deal.

jmtapia
05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
^^^ Show me where Adam Dunn was compared to G. Anderson....

nps6724
05-18-2009, 11:59 PM
This is wrong and this season will vindicate me. Anytime you have an outfield with such low production and youth it's a good idea to have a solid veteran out there. Anderson is just that and while many of you like to compare him to Adam Dunn or another bopper in his prime those discussions are pointless. We didn't have the money and we ended up getting a pretty good deal for Anderson on just a one-year deal.

GA is barely producing better than Schafer :rolleyes:

baseballislife7
05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Good luck Medlen, hope you throw a shutout. You might have to in order to get a win the way we have hit the last two games. Hope they can get it going tonight.

uncblue2332
05-19-2009, 12:07 PM
GA is barely producing better than Schafer :rolleyes:

yea the 8 rbi and .262 average in 14 games since he has returned isnt any better than schafer.haha thats laughable...IMO I think GA is coming around but dont expect anything more than 12hr 60-70 rbi

Jordan has batted .164 this month with 1 rbi and 22 Strikeouts in 55 ABS

nps6724
05-19-2009, 12:09 PM
yea the 8 rbi and .262 average in 14 games sice he has returned isnt any better than schafer.haha thats laughable...IMO I think GA is coming around but dont expect anything more than 12hr 60-70 rbi

For a 15-year veteran batting 4th, that's not significantly better than an 8th-spotted rookie.

flea
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
^^^ Show me where Adam Dunn was compared to G. Anderson....
Pick any thread where Anderson is discussed. Adam Dunn's name always comes up because everyone here (myself included) was hoping we'd sign him. Either way I don't see how anyone could think a Diaz/Jones platoon could equal Anderson without being a total homer. Anderson is a good hitter that is certainly going to help us all summer, barring injury. I mean Anderson is a legitimate ML outfielder. Diaz is a 4th outfielder and Jones hasn't even proven he can hit in the major leagues for any sustained period of time plus he projects as a 4th outfielder too.

uncblue2332
05-20-2009, 10:48 AM
For a 15-year veteran batting 4th, that's not significantly better than an 8th-spotted rookie.

I would consider 8 rbi in 14 games coming off injury great and also considering he doest strikeout every 2 abs

nps6724
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't consider 8 RBI and 0 HR from the CLEANUP hitter to be good in any way, shape, or form, especially with Chipper being walked as much as he is. Diaz has 14 RBI in fewer ABs hitting mostly 6th. Ross has 9 RBI in 20 fewer ABs batting 7th and 8th. McCann has 5 more RBI in 4 more ABs batting mostly 5th.

uncblue2332
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't consider 8 RBI and 0 HR from the CLEANUP hitter to be good in any way, shape, or form, especially with Chipper being walked as much as he is. Diaz has 14 RBI in fewer ABs hitting mostly 6th. Ross has 9 RBI in 20 fewer ABs batting 7th and 8th. McCann has 5 more RBI in 4 more ABs batting mostly 5th.

we were comparing him to shafer not the other guys and he isnt a true cleanup hitter im just saying when you compared him to Jordan F'ing Shafer your plain wrong and you shouldnt have even brought up that dumb comparison.

nps6724
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
we were comparing him to shafer not the other guys and he isnt a true cleanup hitter im just saying when you compared him to Jordan F'ing Shafer your plain wrong and you shouldnt have even brought up that dumb comparison.

More goes into it than just A vs. B. Jordan isn't expected to produce runs, GA is. Jordan bats 8th, GA 4th. JS also has a higher OBP and their SLG are almost identical. As bad as Schafer has looked, GA hasn't been that much better. Also, you were saying GA's performance has been great, which is why I showed the other players. If GA has been great, then so have those other guys.