PDA

View Full Version : Stern interested in instant replay/coach challenges for late game calls

DenButsu
05-15-2009, 06:26 AM
***NOTE ABOUT THE POLL***
By just "instant replay" (as opposed to coach challenges), I mean instant reply that is decided on by the officials, with no challenge from the coaches.

=============================================

NBA Commissioner David Stern said he would like to see coaches have the option to challenge officials' late-game calls with a replay system similar to the NFL's.

Officiating, what constitutes a foul worthy of a suspension, and the off-court insults in the Nuggets-Mavericks series dominated his news conference at the Toyota Center before Game 6 of the Lakers-Rockets series.

"There are two things that I'm more interested in," Stern said. "I'm a little disappointed that the competition committee hasn't been a little bolder in instant replay. The other thing I want to study is security in the broadest context, and how we on the one hand maintain the intimacy that is our game, which I think sets us apart in a good way and brings our fans closer, with making sure that our fans can come and continue to enjoy our game the way they have."

When asked to expand on how he'd like to see replay used, Stern said, "I'm a big fan of tennis, and I envy a sport where the action stops after every point, so you can make sure it's correct. We can't do that. But I think that as we have continued to take baby steps in this direction, we may be getting closer to a time when at end-game, some kind of a challenge system should be considered. I expect to be voted down 30-0.

"What we're struggling with ... we want to have a set of rules, we want to call it the way they're written, we want to have a game called the same no matter who's reffing it, and we want to assure that we get it right. Against that, we struggle with the problem of to get it perfectly right, put 16 cameras and take four hours to play the game, we can't do that and we won't do that. So what you're seeing is us move slowly to more replay. And I think this is a good time to look at it again. And it may happen and it may not happen."

Afterward he said he would like coaches to risk losing a timeout if the call is not overturned, which is the format in place in the NFL. He did not specify what types of calls he would like to see subject to review. Currently officials can use replay to determine whether a shot is a two-pointer or a three-pointer, and whether a shot was released in time before the clock expired at the end of a period. Officials can also use replay after calling a flagrant 2 foul to determine whether the play actually warrants an ejection. Any rule change would have to be approved by the league's competition committee this summer.espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4167920)

Driven
05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I hate that idea. Late game calls are no more important than calls earlier in the game.

DenButsu
05-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I have to say, with all the controversy about various foul calls, no calls, flagrants and technicals, I'm surprised at the lack of response to this thread.

Is it just that everybody loves complaining about it but nobody wants to discuss possible solutions? :shrug:

LAKERMANIA
05-15-2009, 11:55 PM
they should have challanges throughout the whole game, I agree with this

Jay22Redd
05-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Coaching challenges??? :laugh2: So we playin Madden now?

mjt20mik
05-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Coaches challenges not so much, but I like the idea of Instant Replays.

Kyle N.
05-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I heavily support both.

Namy
05-16-2009, 02:47 AM
I would love a coaches challenge. Getting a call right is more important than potentially slowing a game down; however, I think a coach should get a challenge for the whole game and an additional challenge with two minutes remaining.

As for which plays can be reviewed... how bout everything?
This includes, blocks/charges, offensive/defensive fouls, three seconds, traveling, beating the buzzer, goal-tending, etc

julio
05-16-2009, 03:11 AM
i would welcome limited instant replay and coach challenges,u will still have contraversial calls,and it will atleast get reviewed,it sounds fair.

Joshtd1
05-16-2009, 03:23 AM
I think they are going in the right step. I think coaches should be able to challenge certain things and get refs to look at replays to see who the ball went out on, if the refs are somewhat undecided, and if players step out of bounds..just stuff like that.

TmacBryant
05-16-2009, 03:37 AM
IDK how the nba will do this.... in NFL and tennis there is a pause after every play....

in the NBA you can pick up the ball and just throw it... when are the coaches allowed to CHALLENGE a play?

maybe if they could only challenge a play by using a timeout or something but idk.

This could screw up late games so much..... let the PLAYERS PLAY.... the coaches will challenge a play and the refs will be forced to call a foul just because the players are being physical. i know the system is bad now... but im afraid the NBA is going to make it worse with this new addition... but who knows how much worse can NBA officiating get....

GoatMilk
05-16-2009, 04:00 AM
there's been so many times where i want them to challenge a play then i go "fack, this isnt football > _>"
semi-joking of course

I would love both of these, especially challenges

ggg
05-16-2009, 04:18 AM
it should cost a timeout. no one will get hurt with that.

Chronz
05-16-2009, 04:49 AM
People will come to find that their teams are still losing only now they have no one to blame.

DenButsu
05-16-2009, 05:02 AM
People will come to find that their teams are still losing only now they have no one to blame.

Well, that would be a good thing, no?

Evolution=FACT
05-16-2009, 05:05 AM
I.R. and C.C. would both be awesome.

Draco
05-16-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm a little skeptical.. are they going to replay non-calls as well as fouls? What if multiple players on one team are in foul trouble because the officials seemingly call the game tighter on that team than the other.. is a coach going to burn all his time outs to make that point?

Dave Berry wrote an interesting article on implicit bias in the NBA.. http://dberri.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/looking-again-at-implicit-bias-in-the-nba/

The basic finding – the race of the referees and players impacts the fouls called on a player – was consistently found despite the fact the authors employed a variety of different specifications. In sum, this result is quite robust.

So what if a referee let's a few fouls slide because deep down inside he's a dirty racist. I jest.. but seriously, I can't imagine how replays are going to improve the overall officiating. It might help correct a few calls that affect a few plays but that would seem to be the extent of it.. unless Stern wants to reconsider a 4 hour game.

JayW_1023
05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
From ESPN.com

J.A. Adande: Speaking of refs, what do you guys think about Stern's idea of a replay challenge? he said it would be like NFL, where coach loses a timeout if call is not reversed. Would add a little more strategy to game...and might speed them up, if coaches aren't using timeouts because they want to save them for a challenge in the last minute.

Interesting thought...I would greatly applaud if this becomes part of the league.

tr4shb0t
05-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I think both would be beneficial, but coach challenges could get out of hand. They should be limited or restricted in some way because there are coaches that would challenge every call against their team (even blatant flagrants)

JayW_1023
05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
It would only be great for a coach to be able to challenge only once per game regardless of when the call is. Naturally you save your challenge for the endgame...but challenges should not be restricted to just the endgame.

kings2008
05-16-2009, 11:00 AM
im still pissed that that michael finley shot counted against my kings. that was sum baby back bull.... yo. it was clearly after the shot clock. i dont care if we wasnt goin nowhere that still was messed up to cheat us like that, damn, they had to screw us on the last game in arco. just screwed us all up and down the season lol

Kakaroach
05-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the idea of Instant Replay but not of Coach's Challenge. The challenge would slow down the game too much, but I think instant replay would be huge, just like someone mentioned about the Kings-Spurs game.

JayW_1023
05-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I like the idea of Instant Replay but not of Coach's Challenge. The challenge would slow down the game too much, but I think instant replay would be huge, just like someone mentioned about the Kings-Spurs game.

Not if the coach challenge counts as a full timeout. Coaches will go out of their way to save the challenge for down the stretch.

superkegger
05-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm not in favor of coaches challenges. Of course I guess it all depends on what is challengable and not. I don't really think foul calls should be reviewable at all. I think if there's a question on whether it should be flagrant or not, or flagrant 1 or 2 should be reviewable, but if just regular foul calls are reviewable...your going to be slowing the game down way too much.

I like the idea of reviewing stepping out of bounds or foot on the 3pt line review, that's pretty easy to determine most of the time.

Evolution=FACT
05-16-2009, 03:54 PM
^even for the ray allen 3 vs. the bulls. it was quite clear his foot was touching the line.

KB24PG16
05-16-2009, 04:25 PM
they should it then fans will now that it isnt fixed

Spurred1
05-16-2009, 04:48 PM
It would help cut down all the conspiracy talk. No one could blame the refs the way it's commonly done now. The blame for losing would rest completely with the teams.

* That Kings/Spurs game was horrible-a replay wasn't even necessary, anyone could see that Finley released the ball too late. It shouldn't have counted, no question.

Kings Faithful
05-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Instant Replay - Yes
Coach Challenge - No

I don't like the idea of Coach Challenges. It would slow the game down to much and the last 2 minutes are already long as hell... adding coaches challenges would just push it into eternity. Even if you did find a way to make it work, a whole 'nother box of questions opens up like... "what can coaches challenge?" "When can coaches challenge?".

EX-TREME
05-16-2009, 05:26 PM
not a big fan of cc but it would be nice with a instant replay

DenButsu
05-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Not if the coach challenge counts as a full timeout. Coaches will go out of their way to save the challenge for down the stretch.

And also if they lose a challenge in a tight game, then the time taken for the challenge is probably about equal to the time it would have taken when they used the time out they lost. But if the challenge succeeded, then a wrong would have been righted, making the additional time spent worthwhile.