PDA

View Full Version : Are the Rockets better without Yao?

Namy
05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Before Rockets fans blast me for suggesting this, hear me out...

A lot of people have been accusing the Lakers of underachieving against an undermanned Rockets team. I won't disagree with that statement. With their talent, I do believe that the Lakers should not be in a game 7 with the Rockets.

With that said, a lot of analysts have been saying that "the Lakers play with talent," while "the Rockets play with heart." I think statements like that are total BS. It's the playoffs and everyone plays hard. Why would the Lakers jeopardize their playoffs by playing "on / off" type of basketball? I doubt that game 6 of the Rockets-Lakers series is the product of Lakers' arrogance (considering how badly they lost game 4).

The Rockets might not wholly be better without Yao, but could they match up better against the Lakers without him? While I do not know the exact statistics, I recall that the Rockets, in the past, were better when T-Mac or Yao played without each other. Could the same hold true now? I realize that the Rockets lose rebounding and post presence with Yao's absence, but I always felt that the Rocket offense played very slow (and sometimes too predictable) with Yao. The Rockets are definitely more explosive without him, which capitalizes on the team makeup in general imo.

Anyone agree? No one has been mentioning this, and I think it is definitely worth considering.

scruffmacgruff
05-15-2009, 01:01 AM
oh please no dont start this we dont even make the playoffs without Yao its just tough defense and hustle will make things appear better than they are

JordansBulls
05-15-2009, 01:02 AM
No, they are more of an uptempo team though.

Norg
05-15-2009, 01:03 AM
its all about matchups in the NBA and having Yao casued major matchup problems for our oppents.

are we better without yao no are we more faster in the paint of course we dont have a 7 foot guy there anymore

but if u wanna be fast just put yao on the bench and be fast we loss that luxuery

but its all about depth Losing both Yao and Demkba and T mac is MAJOOORRRR Depth lost

Not having T mac means we have to play artest more if we had T mac healthy that would just mean more
depth

just think if we had a full healthy roster man i think we would give lakers all they could handle

superkegger
05-15-2009, 01:06 AM
no, they are not better without yao.

theyve sustatined some momentum and rallied aroudn eachother in this series, but over a long hual, they are not better off without ayo.

tr4shb0t
05-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes, the way they use him.

Honestly, they focus way too much on getting Yao the ball. IMO, Yao takes horrible shots a lot. If he would get out of the paint for a change and let Brooks do his thing, they would be better.

FOBolous
05-15-2009, 01:07 AM
oh please no dont start this we dont even make the playoffs without Yao its just tough defense and hustle will make things appear better than they are

:clap:

superkegger
05-15-2009, 01:09 AM

Honestly, they focus way too much on getting Yao the ball. IMO, Yao takes horrible shots a lot. If he would get out of the paint for a change and let Brooks do his thing, they would be better.

that is pure rubbish. yao doesn't take horrible shots at all. why would you want a guy who domianteas the paint to get out of it? thats ridiculous. that's like asking kobe to stop taking it to the hole and just take nothing but long contested jumpers.

Namy
05-15-2009, 01:14 AM

So the Rockets didn't play tough defense or hustled with Yao? Maybe over the long haul, you guys are worse without Yao (for example, Yao absolutely murders us Nuggets); however, do you feel like the Rockets are a better match-up for the Lakers without him?

just think if we had a full healthy roster man i think we would give lakers all they could handle

My argument is assuming that you had a full, healthy roster WITHOUT Yao. I just feel like players like Brooks, Artest, and Scola are allowed to play better without revolving their offense without Yao. What you guys attribute to "energy and hustle" without Yao, I believe, is just a product of playing to the rest of the team's strengths without him.

tr4shb0t
05-15-2009, 01:16 AM
that is pure rubbish. yao doesn't take horrible shots at all. why would you want a guy who domianteas the paint to get out of it? thats ridiculous. that's like asking kobe to stop taking it to the hole and just take nothing but long contested jumpers.

I'm referring to when he is boxed out from the paint and is being contested, yet still chucks up some low-percentage shot when he could have passed it for better shot. I said this was my opinion and I'm not going to argue. Obviously if he is handed the ball when he's in the paint he dominates, but his 10-15 ft contested shots are bad.

theuuord
05-15-2009, 01:20 AM
no.
not even close.

i read what you wrote and i'm still blasting you.

this is dumb.
people have to stop thinking this.

iluvsports2much
05-15-2009, 01:21 AM
lol wow....no way are the rockets better without yao,he is possibly the most dominant center in the league,i say that cuz hes a high 80% free throw shooter and has a nice 18 foot jump shot..the lakers are jus not playin them the way they should..btw,i dont remember a game with yao playing in that they lost by 40 points...

Zetterberg40
05-15-2009, 01:32 AM
If I'm a Laker fan I am very worried about a Denver team that awaits in the next round seems like the trip to the finals isnt going to be the cake walk alot of people expected it to be

Chicagofaithful
05-15-2009, 01:32 AM
no David Stern > NBA thats all...

iluvsports2much
05-15-2009, 01:36 AM
If I'm a Laker fan I am very worried about a Denver team that awaits in the next round seems like the trip to the finals isnt going to be the cake walk alot of people expected it to be

i never thought it was gonna be a cake walk...honestly... but as much as im worried bout the nuggets next series,im more nervous bout the rockets cuz its almost like no laker has heart except kobe and gasol...gotta get past the rockets first..

pd7631
05-15-2009, 01:43 AM
hell......no

Eagles_Guy
05-15-2009, 01:46 AM
No they are not, although losing Yao and how alot of people wrote them off has ignited them a bit. A 7'6 center with a great mid range shooting touch, c'mon now. I think they are better without McGrady due to chemistry and ball movement, but not Yao.

That's just heart, and the fact that Brooks is so friggin fast no one is able to guard him.

JayW_1023
05-15-2009, 05:40 AM
The great thing for Houston is they have a player like Luis Scola who has been in the underdog many times against a superior talented team USA and still won games. In my opinion, Scola is their most important player...he really puts a leadership role for the Rockets.

lakersfan211
05-15-2009, 05:52 AM
no they aint better without yao , their just playing a team that has no passion.

DreamShaker
05-15-2009, 07:24 AM
The great thing for Houston is they have a player like Luis Scola who has been in the underdog many times against a superior talented team USA and still won games. In my opinion, Scola is their most important player...he really puts a leadership role for the Rockets.

Totally.

BoSelecta!!!
05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
What? Are you on crack???

Dont give me that BS of how the Rockets are better without Yao or Mac! You just want some excuse for your poor Lakers, or you just dont know anything about basketball. Have you seen the games? Without Yao, we took a lot of tough shots. Even though most of them went in last game, but we had to work twice as hard as with Yao. Normally it is very hard to win a series without your low post presence, but what the Rockets are doing now is just ...wow!

nycericanguy
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
yes u are much better without Yao, trade him to the Knicks for anyone you want :D

gangis2169
05-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Ill tell you what it is, the Lakers are not taking advantage and have the wrong gameplan against this squad thats all. Thats why the Rockets look better then what they are. Its 90% the Lakres playing horrible and 10% Rockets playing with heart.

Mile High Champ
05-15-2009, 10:34 AM
ohh come on are you serious?? Its one thing to say without T-Mac they are better but come on not Yao. This team is a much more complete team from an inside-outside perspective on offense and defense cause of Yao Ming. I really do hope the rockets win this series but come on, the rockets are a much better team with Ming..

Hanzinho
05-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Absolutely not...

LAKERS IS DONE.... JUST THAT...

:laugh:

Luv Da New Pack
05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Reminiscent of "Are the Knicks better without Ewing". Same scenario and if Houston followed what New York did they'd get the same result.

Norg
05-15-2009, 04:02 PM
i think the lakers want Yao

with the big China base in LA yao on the lakers would be Big

I wonder if we would trade Yao for Kobe ???????

tr4shb0t
05-15-2009, 04:21 PM
i think the lakers want Yao

with the big China base in LA yao on the lakers would be Big

I wonder if we would trade Yao for Kobe ???????

hell no. trying to ditch yao now that he's broken?

too slow and injury prone. NO

Verbal Christ
05-15-2009, 05:14 PM
massive fail.

lilboytwister99
05-16-2009, 10:13 PM
The Rockets..........this is a tough one really. I'd say they aren't better without Yao....... but they have an awfully strong bench. I think without Yao, they are faster. But Yao's presence is a MAJOR factor for them. There's a lot of teams that can't hold down Yao.

I really couldn't explain how they have pushed the Lakers to Game 7. I don't have any possible explanation for it. I know they play with a lot of heart. That's one of the reasons the team is better off without T-Mac. T-Mac has no heart.

But anyways, I don't think the Rockets are better without Yao. However, I think they COULD be better with Shaq. No explanation, just a pure statement.

KB24PG16
05-16-2009, 10:16 PM
what kind of name is nanny

MJ-BULLS
05-16-2009, 10:24 PM
no, there just a up tempo high energy team

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
No. Are the Celtics better without KG just becasue they are going to a game 7 with a 60 win team? No way.

NYMetros
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM

What are you basing this off of?

No, the Rockets definitely aren't better without Yao. He is a defensive force in the paint purely because of his height, even if he isn't as much of an intimidator as guys like Dwight Howard and Shaq. They also lose rebounding with him out.

bruser23
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Over a few games the rockets are better without Yao. Over a season or any extended amount of time, no. The rockets seem to play better without their big stars, but that is only because other players step up every game.