PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best GM in the league?

td0tsfinest
05-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Simple question.

Pick someone that has had a great track record, not only for this season but the past several seasons.

Chronz
05-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Morey, Pritchard, Nuggets GM

Pretty much the most hardcore stat savvy teams in the league, way ahead of the curve

And if the Wolves hire Bill Simmons them, if they hire Kamla theyre at the bottom

td0tsfinest
05-14-2009, 08:36 PM

Pretty much the most hardcore stat savvy teams in the league, way ahead of the curve

And if the Wolves hire Bill Simmons them, if they hire Kamla theyre at the bottom

Where did you hear that?

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 08:39 PM

If my Wolves hire Bill Simmons, I will officially get shock treatment to remove them from my brain. And then, in like 6 months, I will say, "I wonder how Kevin McHale would do as a GM? I bet he would be good"
I hate my life

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
If I see Danny Ainge on here, I am gonna jump you. Just saying

Chronz
05-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Where did you hear that?
Kamla's twitter

bostncelts34
05-14-2009, 08:53 PM

i wouldnt put him, but he hasnt done bad at all.

Trading for Rondo,Perk,Davis all on draft day. Obv the KG stuff, signing house. Trading for Ray.

Chronz
05-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Yea Ainge is a good GM, hes had a few screw ups (Granger) but at the time Gerald Green seemed like a logical choice, and I think he was involved in the Brian Scalabrine signing, but trading away Antoine Walker for Raef was a joke. I understand getting rid of Pierce's best friend for the sake of making it his team, but the team wouldve been better off waiving Walker than tacking on an extra year from Raef.

Al Jefferson was a brilliant pick and extending Perkins while his value was low and his potential was high was another stroke of genius, Perkins is basically a DPOY caliber player whos making what 2-3 Million.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
i wouldnt put him, but he hasnt done bad at all.

Trading for Rondo,Perk,Davis all on draft day. Obv the KG stuff, signing house. Trading for Ray.

Danny Ainge is a terrible GM. Rondo, I will give you. But he has also benefited from playing along with the big 3. Ainge caught 2 teams (1 of which was managed by his friend and ex teammate), to get two players that needed a ring. In 3 years, Boston will be terrible again. So yes, he had a great year, but he is not a good GM

bostncelts34
05-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Danny Ainge is a terrible GM. Rondo, I will give you. But he has also benefited from playing along with the big 3. Ainge caught 2 teams (1 of which was managed by his friend and ex teammate), to get two players that needed a ring. In 3 years, Boston will be terrible again. So yes, he had a great year, but he is not a good GM

They have a good young foundation with Rondo,davis,Perk,walker.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 09:09 PM
They have a good young foundation with Rondo,davis,Perk,walker.

agreed on Rondo. The rest are role players who stumbled into the perfect situation. Cmon. You guys got you're ring. Don't forget Danny's previous years, and the fact that you depleted all you're young talent and picks to win that ring (outside Rajon). They will not be that good of a team in 3 years. Its cool though, they got their ring. Which in itself makes Ainge a fortunate GM, not a good one imo

championships
05-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Yea Ainge is a good GM, hes had a few screw ups (Granger) but at the time Gerald Green seemed like a logical choice, and I think he was involved in the Brian Scalabrine signing, but trading away Antoine Walker for Raef was a joke. I understand getting rid of Pierce's best friend for the sake of making it his team, but the team wouldve been better off waiving Walker than tacking on an extra year from Raef.

Al Jefferson was a brilliant pick and extending Perkins while his value was low and his potential was high was another stroke of genius, Perkins is basically a DPOY caliber player whos making what 2-3 Million.

Didn't Celtic fans want him fired just two years ago. I remember the fire Ainge signs. Doc too

Nets fan 93
05-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Agree

Joshtd1
05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Sam Presti has done a pretty good job.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Brian Colangelo has been magic for the Raptors when he first came here.

And he assembled the Suns team that was 1 of the more dominating the West for a almost half of this decade.

Sportfan
05-14-2009, 10:00 PM

i woulda loved to taken granger in that draft but the pacers picked before us 1 pick so how is that a scew up

Raptor-54
05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Bryan colangelo :D

nng1
05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
agreed on Rondo. The rest are role players who stumbled into the perfect situation. Cmon. You guys got you're ring. Don't forget Danny's previous years, and the fact that you depleted all you're young talent and picks to win that ring (outside Rajon). They will not be that good of a team in 3 years. Its cool though, they got their ring. Which in itself makes Ainge a fortunate GM, not a good one imo

ur an idiot. he has always been a good drafter(knicknamed danny the drafter) the only reason we complained is b/c of his trades but then he pulls off 2 very good trades setting them up for now and the future with the big three having stagered expiring contracts.

as for young guys, let me name a few: rondo with the 20th pick(averaging a triple double in the playoffs), al jefferson with the 15th(averaged 23 and 11 this season, one of the premier big men in the league), delonte west with the 25th(starter on the first place Cavs), tony allen with the 26th(doesn't seem as good now but was before the ACL tear; not likely to be the same after that b/c his reliance on athleticism like a RB in football), leone powe with the 52nd pick(great value), glen davis with the 35th pick(who's averaging 17 ppg in the playoffs right now), ryan gomes 2nd round(solid role player who is lights our from mid range), kendrick perkins middle of the first round(top notch shot blocker and rebounder, averaged 2 blocks and 8 rebounds "splitting: those stats in a sense with kg; only so many rebounds,etc), and the list goes on(i think).

these guys at the picks they were taken range from good to amazing overall. some of ainge's busts were the walker trade(threw mutiple deals ended up trading that big expiring contract in the kg or ray allen deals, not sure which), scalabrine(nuff said), gerald green(he "slipped" on draft day out of the top ten to the celtics at 18; can't blame him for trying to get a very high upside guy at 18), sebastian telfair(nuff said, used later pick in that draft that they got for rondo though) orience green(common 2nd round bust), and i may have missed a few

and in the end, a championship ring 5 or so years into his job, making a franchise that had gone from relevant to irrelevant, relevant again(priceless considering the state it was in)

once again, while ainge may not be the best manager in the league, ur an idiot

Jacob K.
05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
If my Wolves hire Bill Simmons, I will officially get shock treatment to remove them from my brain. And then, in like 6 months, I will say, "I wonder how Kevin McHale would do as a GM? I bet he would be good"
I hate my life

hahahah!:laugh:

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 10:33 PM
ur an idiot. he has always been a good drafter(knicknamed danny the drafter) the only reason we complained is b/c of his trades but then he pulls off 2 very good trades setting them up for now and the future with the big three having stagered expiring contracts.

as for young guys, let me name a few: rondo with the 20th pick(averaging a triple double in the playoffs), al jefferson with the 15th(averaged 23 and 11 this season, one of the premier big men in the league), delonte west with the 25th(starter on the first place Cavs), tony allen with the 26th(doesn't seem as good now but was before the ACL tear; not likely to be the same after that b/c his reliance on athleticism like a RB in football), leone powe with the 52nd pick(great value), glen davis with the 35th pick(who's averaging 17 ppg in the playoffs right now), ryan gomes 2nd round(solid role player who is lights our from mid range), kendrick perkins middle of the first round(top notch shot blocker and rebounder, averaged 2 blocks and 8 rebounds "splitting: those stats in a sense with kg; only so many rebounds,etc), and the list goes on(i think).

these guys at the picks they were taken range from good to amazing overall. some of ainge's busts were the walker trade(threw mutiple deals ended up trading that big expiring contract in the kg or ray allen deals, not sure which), scalabrine(nuff said), gerald green(he "slipped" on draft day out of the top ten to the celtics at 18; can't blame him for trying to get a very high upside guy at 18), sebastian telfair(nuff said, used later pick in that draft that they got for rondo though) orience green(common 2nd round bust), and i may have missed a few

and in the end, a championship ring 5 or so years into his job, making a franchise that had gone from relevant to irrelevant, relevant again(priceless considering the state it was in)

once again, while ainge may not be the best manager in the league, ur an idiot

are you the trainer for the Celtics? Wow. Way to take it overboard. And calling me an idiot makes you look awesome. thxs dog

kobe24>lebron23
05-14-2009, 11:02 PM
since everybody loves lebron and hates kobe and the refs obviously are making the lakers look bad then ill say lebron ****en james

hotpotato1092
05-14-2009, 11:28 PM
1. R.C Buford, Spurs: I don't see how it could be anyone else, he has the rings to prove his greatness.

2. Daryl Morey, Rockets: Has he made one bad move since he was hired? Trading for Artest, trading for Scola, drafting Brooks, trading for Lowry etc... If he had a longer track record he might be number one.

3. Mark Warkentien, Nuggets: Makes the big moves (trading for Iverson (although not great, did make them a playoff team and got them to 50 wins), Billups) and the small moves (signing Chris Anderson, signing Dahntay Jones). Another guy whose track record isn't too long but he's just been great.

4. Sam Presti, Thunder: Drafted Kevin Durant, drafted Jeff Green, drafted Russell Westbrook. That alone makes him top 10, what people don't remember is that they have Phoenix's unprotected pick in 2010, that could be high if the suns unload Shaq and or Amare this summer, and he could land Blake Griffin in this years draft. Great future.

5. Donnie Walsh, Knicks: Did it for years in Indiana, now has the Knicks (who Isiah Thomas ran into the ground) on the right track for the future. I can't see anyway for him not to be top 5.

You could say Kevin Pritchard or Joe Dumars or Bryan Colangelo, but they all have at least one big screw up. Pritchard has Oden over Durant (Oden could still be good, but **** look at Durant) Dumars has two, Billups for Iverson and Darko over several people, Colangelo has Bargnani over Brandon Roy. None of the top 5 have a major screw up like that.

nng1
05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
are you the trainer for the Celtics? Wow. Way to take it overboard. And calling me an idiot makes you look awesome. thxs dog

the only reason it was so long is b/c i listed all of ainge's good picks; yeah its a long list that just proves my point right?? and u dont have to be the trainer of a team to know who the good draft picks were over the last few years and where they drafted(about).

great reponse though btw i thought it was very witty; forget that i obliterated ur argument just respond at the length of my response and the fact that i called u an idiot... which i only said b/c its true...

Hawkeye15
05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
the only reason it was so long is b/c i listed all of ainge's good picks; yeah its a long list that just proves my point right?? and u dont have to be the trainer of a team to know who the good draft picks were over the last few years and where they drafted(about).

great reponse though btw i thought it was very witty; forget that i obliterated ur argument just respond at the length of my response and the fact that i called u an idiot... which i only said b/c its true...

learn some manners dude. I know all of Ainges picks. And I know Boston sucked for a good while under Ainges picks and leadership. He happened to catch 2 teams going in rebuilding mode with aging stars. Wow. What a genius.
If you think Ainge is a top GM, it explains to me all I need to know about you

uncblue2332
05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Lets look at not only the picks danny ainge made but the trades

The KG trade was an overhaul of young talent
Boston got KG
Minny got Al Jefferson (young stud 20/10 guy for 7-10 years), Cap Relief with Theo Ratliff, Ryan Gomes (great off the bench big man, not many of those in the league), backup point guard in Sebastian Telfair,

That trade did two huge things for minny....it gave them another KG minus the defense and major cap space...if I recall ratliff was making 5 mill which is right around MLE, they also got two good role players...minny built for the future and boston did what they wanted win now.....but wait 3-4 more years and boston will be in the bottom half of the playoffs or even out....Ray is done soon and KG isnt far behind...pierce will slow down and boston will be no more

Minny on the other hand built for the future and kept the team in lottery range...they get Kevin Love a stud PF IMO. and they will grab a couple more from this year and next....if they get a PG they could become the next portland and I see them being good for wuite a while in a few years

Ray Allen to Boston
Wally, Delonte West and Jeff Green to Seattle/OKC

Essentially this was a salary dump when OKC traded wally and west to the cavs....they also got a great player in Jeff Green...so OKC got 15-18mill in cap room and Jeff Green...seems like a win for OKC

Sly Guy
05-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I would have said Isiah Thomas, but he's no longer a GM. It's too bad, just a couple more years and I think he would have had the Knicks turned around, contending for a title.....*sigh*

uncblue2332
05-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I would have said Isiah Thomas, but he's no longer a GM. It's too bad, just a couple more years and I think he would have had the Knicks turned around, contending for a title.....*sigh*

hah I really hope that is sarcasm if not i guess he is about to win an NCAA championship really soon too since he is a head coach now

theimortalone
05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Steve Kerr
Oh wait the thread is best GM, not worse, whoops! :D

Jay22Redd
05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Daryl Morey

Punkindrublic03
05-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Sam Presti. He has given the sonix a chance at a great future.

ragee
05-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Pritchard...

Chronz
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Didn't Celtic fans want him fired just two years ago. I remember the fire Ainge signs. Doc too

Yea that was embarrassing.... for the fans. People are idiots, Ainge was stockpiling terrific assets with picks no one else couldve done better with.

Jonathan2323
05-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Pat Riley

Chronz
05-15-2009, 06:47 PM
i woulda loved to taken granger in that draft but the pacers picked before us 1 pick so how is that a scew up

You swear? Well then in light of this new evidence, Ainge is GOD

jkidd5
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
donnie walsh. he got rid of the huge contracts of jamal crawford n zach randolph. so now the knicks can sign 2 great players in 2010

Missing56&33
05-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Pat Riley

x2

IversonIsKrazy
05-15-2009, 07:15 PM
1. R.C Buford, Spurs

2. Mark Warkentien, Nuggets

3. Daryl Morey, Rockets

4. Brian Colangelo, Raptors

5. Sam Presti, Thunder

Other Notables: Donni Walshe, Pritchard

Draco
05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
1. R.C Buford, Spurs

2. Mark Warkentien, Nuggets

3. Daryl Morey, Rockets

4. Brian Colangelo, Raptors

5. Sam Presti, Thunder

Other Notables: Donni Walshe, Pritchard

homer pick?

still1ballin
05-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Mitch Kupchak!

loki34
05-15-2009, 09:44 PM
steve kerr

DenButsu
05-15-2009, 11:59 PM
I think the Nuggets' GM trio has done a fairly brilliant job over the last year. But I won't be able to say they're worthy of being called "the best" until we see what happens next season. If they're able to a) keep the key role players (primarily Chris Andersen) around, and b) add one or two more key pieces (I'm looking for one more big with good reounding and a midrange jumper, and maybe a sg upgrade to Dahntay Jones), and next year's team is able to build on this year's success and take it a step further by nabbing the NW division title again (in competition against a surging Portland and a Utah that will always be threatening), and equaling or bettering their 54 wins and deep playoff run this season, then I'll probably want to put them at the head of the class.

rhaas74
05-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I know it's a homer pick, but Danny Ferry. He brought in Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak, Joe Smith, and Ben Wallace by basically giving up Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden. Then he traded Damon Jones and Joe Smith for Mo Williams, then signed Joe Smith when his contract got bought out. Darnell Jackson and JJ Hickson are showing promise as young big men. Through trades he has also set the Cavs up for the FA summer of 2010. We will have enough cap room to not only re-sign LeBron, but also another top FA too.

mrblisterdundee
05-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Kevin Pritchard seems to be the most adept.

nng1
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
learn some manners dude. I know all of Ainges picks. And I know Boston sucked for a good while under Ainges picks and leadership. He happened to catch 2 teams going in rebuilding mode with aging stars. Wow. What a genius.
If you think Ainge is a top GM, it explains to me all I need to know about you

yeah they sucked for a few years what do you expect there are very few GM's in any sports that are instant solutions; even Belicheck had 1 or 2 losing seasons before they won.

i guess i no all i need to know about you a well: you like to make arguments without any reasoning whatsoever to back them up. im not saying ainge is the best, but he's definitely top ten possibly top 5. he is one of the best at drafting value of any GM in the league and while the trades he made might not have been that impressive what was impressive was that had had stockpiled enough young talent to make those trades and form a championship winning team, which is the major goal/form of judgement for a GM(not to mention the role player free agents he signed, like eddie house who was not considered a good pickup at the time; he dropped 31 i believe the other day) and they are in pretty good shape for the future as well between rondo, the young role players/perkins, and the fact that the big three is well set up with staggered expiring contracts. to believe that he just "got lucky" is just foolish and ignorant thinking.

(and for the record, whoever said it, ray allen is anything but done he is a shooter he will likely be in the league the longest of the big three even though he is the oldest; just look at reggie miller)