PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Moving????

_KB24_
05-14-2009, 01:36 AM
This is a rumor but it is still exciting. Vancouver Canucks Owner Francesco Aqulini is expressing interest in purchasing the Pacers and moving them to Vancouver. It seems to be a similar situation to what happened in Seattle with their arena fdeal, and if a BIG market like Seattle cannot hold its team, what will happen in Indy??

http://www.howeypolitics.com/2009/05/12/may-12-2009-hpi-daily-wire/

Lakergirl24
05-14-2009, 01:39 AM
That would be horrible IMO. Not another team in vancouver.

superkegger
05-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Doubt it happens. I don't think the NBA is about to let a team move BACK to Vancouver whent he first go round was an complete and utter failure

IRUAM #21
05-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Move them to Seattle.

championships
05-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Vancouver is a Hockey city. Bball didn't work there before, Why would it now?

_KB24_
05-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Someone has to express interest in them moving to Seattle if it happens, and i doubt it.

_KB24_
05-14-2009, 01:56 AM

Vancouver is a world-class sport city. We are diehard fans of every single team that plays here and with the Olympics coming here, all our facilities and arenas have been either newly built or massively renovated. Vancouver is the perfect place for the next NBA city.

championships
05-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Move them to Vegas Baby.

_KB24_
05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Move them to Vegas Baby.

Maloofs can make it work.

DerekRE_3
05-14-2009, 02:02 AM
No pro basketball in Indiana just seems wrong.

superkegger
05-14-2009, 02:05 AM

It seems that way, because it is wrong.

MaHaRaJaH
05-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Doubt it happens. I don't think the NBA is about to let a team move BACK to Vancouver whent he first go round was an complete and utter failure

It's a lot different now, especially after a large flux of Ethnic folks have settled in the urban area. They are have an MLS team to. Who knows.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
05-14-2009, 02:08 AM

wonder what reggie thinks of this rumor, if it is actually a legit rumor

S.J.Basketball
05-14-2009, 02:11 AM
San Jose needs a team already dammit. We sell out at the sharks arena constantly and I'm tired of going to ghetto crime infested Oakland to see a Warriors game. BRING A TEAM TO SAN JOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superkegger
05-14-2009, 02:13 AM
It's a lot different now, especially after a large flux of Ethnic folks have settled in the urban area. They are have an MLS team to. Who knows.

I just have a hard time seeing it happening. When a fan base doesn't support a team, and the team moves, that usually doesn't bode well for them getting a team back. And it hasn't been that long since the Grizzlies left.

_KB24_
05-14-2009, 02:23 AM
I just have a hard time seeing it happening. When a fan base doesn't support a team, and the team moves, that usually doesn't bode well for them getting a team back. And it hasn't been that long since the Grizzlies left.

It was never a big problem about the fan base. It had to do with the owners at the time, The Orca Bay, which decided to sell because of its own financial trouble. It was sold to some Local Memphis owner who promised to keep them in Vancouver but backed down from his word and brought it to Memphis with the help of the NBA. I can guarantee that Vancouver has a bigger ball market than OKC and Milwaukee.

Jay_Dub
05-14-2009, 02:23 AM
The fan base was supporting the team. The reason why they moved was because the owner was American and didn't want to lose money with the exchange on the Canadian dollar. They were by far the worst team in the league every year and I remember them still getting a pretty decent number of fans out to games. Someone might want to check attendance numbers tho.

BYBLOS88
05-14-2009, 02:39 AM
i dont care what team it is but ORANG COUNTY, CALIFORNIA needs a team asap!!!

MaHaRaJaH
05-14-2009, 02:48 AM
Yes, but that's primarily due to not winning, at all. Which is true for most teams, fans will appear long as the team wins. With the MLS expansion and Olympics- it may revive the interest in sports. But still, Seattle not having a basketball team is just sinful.

MaHaRaJaH
05-14-2009, 02:50 AM
San Jose needs a team already dammit. We sell out at the sharks arena constantly and I'm tired of going to ghetto crime infested Oakland to see a Warriors game. BRING A TEAM TO SAN JOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because it's the only team you have....

Punkindrublic03
05-14-2009, 02:50 AM
What happened to the Seattle Supersonics is bull **** and I hope no other fans have to experience the same thing we did here in Seattle. Clay Bennett is an *******.

blackjack_119
05-14-2009, 02:53 AM
If Indiana moved to Vancouver or Seattle, would Memphis move to the Eastern Conference and Pacers to the Western Conference?

Northwest:
Denver
Minnesota
Portland
Utah
Vancouver/Seattle

Pacific:
Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Sacramento Kings
Phoenix Suns

South West:
Dallas
Houston
OKC
New Orleans
San Antonio

And then Memphis takes Indiana's spot in the East.

MaHaRaJaH
05-14-2009, 02:55 AM
The fan base was supporting the team. The reason why they moved was because the owner was American and didn't want to lose money with the exchange on the Canadian dollar. They were by far the worst team in the league every year and I remember them still getting a pretty decent number of fans out to games. Someone might want to check attendance numbers tho.

It was decent, averaging between 400k-700k for each year

superkegger
05-14-2009, 03:01 AM
I just read the article, and it doesn't seem to be substantiated by much at this point. It could very well be a leveraging tactic.

214boyz
05-14-2009, 03:43 AM
No! Vancouver is not a good place to move an nba franchise.
Vancouver!? Come on now! If anything seattle or las vegas.

saritasbora
05-14-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm asking cuz I don't know. If a team moves to another city. If Pacers move to Vacouver what will happen to fans in Indiana. Are they still gonna support Pacers or wait for a team to move to Indiana.

TheDiggler
05-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Bring Seattle their Sonics back !

Most Users already mentioned what I think, too. Move the Pacers and get a new team to Vancouver, is just a thought of a guy that has TOO much money, and TOO much spare time.

BlinkManJan02
05-14-2009, 05:02 AM
What happened to the Seattle Supersonics is bull **** and I hope no other fans have to experience the same thing we did here in Seattle. Clay Bennett is an *******.

yeah it is ridiculous. im a bucks fan and there have been rumors about them moving..i would be so sad if they did.
hopefully seattle gets a team again. and i hope OKC doesnt get any better, then fans wont show up, and clay bennett can proceed to **** off.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-14-2009, 07:43 AM
I guess they really want T.J ford back in Canada

JayW_1023
05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Noooooooooooo...please this cannot happen. It'll be Sonics all over again...the Pacers have a history too.

I loved the days of Miller, Jackson, Smits, the two Davises, Jalen Rose, Travis Best, Sam perkins and Chris Mullin.

HoosierDaddy
05-14-2009, 08:43 AM
won't happen.

Testaverde16
05-14-2009, 08:49 AM
this would be a shame, but havent they never made money? i hate to say it, but with the struggling economy they might be bteer off.... i would hate to see anohter NBA team move though, especially one thats been around so long like the Pacers.

theimortalone
05-14-2009, 09:42 AM
The Vancouver Pacers? Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

IBleedPurple
05-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Vancouver is a world-class sport city. We are diehard fans of every single team that plays here and with the Olympics coming here, all our facilities and arenas have been either newly built or massively renovated. Vancouver is the perfect place for the next NBA city.

So what will be differenct than last time? Were all of the Vancouver Grizzlies fans in hibernation? :smoking:

It is very wrong, and shouldn't happen.

shonk688
05-14-2009, 11:37 AM
It's not going to happen I live in Indianapolis and have been following this closely and the Simon Brothers who own the pacers have said they are committed to keeping them here and said they will only sell it to someone that is committed to keeping them here. The only reason these rumors have come up is because the pacers are in the works of redoing their contract with the city because they have to pay all the cost for Conseco Fieldhouse which they have to pay about 15 mil a year to run. They pay for everything that goes on in Conseco right now not just when they use it and the government is working on a plan to run it so the Pacers dont have too. Our government has said the Pacers our to important to the city to loose them so it aint happening. Plus Conseco is the best arena in the NBA and is only like 10 years old. Another thing too, is they are starting to bring some of their fans back. A lot of the fans here were turned off after the brawl and all the off the court issues. They have gotten rid of all of those players and have brought a lot of those fans back so the attendance will just keep going up.

Hell before the colts got there new stadium there was rumors of them moving to LA which never happened.

colinskik
05-14-2009, 11:44 AM
That would be a travesty if they relocated.

pd7631
05-14-2009, 12:45 PM

My feelings exactly. Indiana has great fans, and the whole state is all about basketball. To move them to Vancouver would be even worse than moving the Sonics to OKC.....and that's pretty bad.

CaughtInAHustle
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM

The Oracle is barely ghetto. Probably one of the best places to watch NBA Basketball. Warrior games are great to watch there because of the fans not so much the team.

Unruly Fan
05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
As much as I would like to have another NBA team in Canada; unfortunately, I also believe that there would be a lack of support in Vancouver. To me, Toronto seems like the only city up here in the North that is capable or supporting an NBA franchise.

And for that I blame the sports media. 3 minutes of pure hockey highlights (each game) and 30 seconds (maximum) usually for everything else including basketball...

theimortalone
05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Why is everyone suggesting that we have another team for Cali? You already have the Lakers, the Clippers, the Warriors, and the Kings, and you guys want another team? Give me a break. YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER TEAM!!!

pd7631
05-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Why is everyone suggesting that we have another team for Cali? You already have the Lakers, the Clippers, the Warriors, and the Kings, and you guys want another team? Give me a break. YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER TEAM!!!

Word

DirtyThirty
05-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Yea there is much talk about them relocating because they just arent drawing. I'm a big Pacer fan and to hear about this is real bad. If anything i would hope they move to NJ if anywhere because i can go to their games and its not such a bad idea since the Nets will be moving to NY soon.

Trouble87
05-14-2009, 02:30 PM

definitely does

Kakaroach
05-14-2009, 04:28 PM
I would rather they not move it at all, but if they have to, move to Seattle. But to think the Pacers might be gone, legends like Reggie Miller and guys like Jermain O'Neal in their prime. Lots of memories.

Chateamsfan
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Let Seattle get their own team by expansion and move pacers to St.Louis!

EastCoastBaller
05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Las Vegas Please!!!!!!!

IndyRealist
05-14-2009, 06:48 PM
FYI, word is that for the Pacers to break their lease, they vwould have to pay the city $50 million. Given the state of the team's finances and payroll, and the fact that fans are coming back in droves, and I doubt the team moves anytime soon. They had to weather the storm, and there's light at the end of the tunnel, and any of a hundred other cliches.

mrblisterdundee
05-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Move them to Vegas Baby.

People are leaving Las Vegas because they realize how ignorant it is to live in an irrigated desert. Why should the NBA try to attract more people to the city? Of course, Los Angeles and Phoenix are just as unsustainable.

td0tsfinest
05-14-2009, 07:57 PM

What about Charlotte(Hornets now Bobcats)? or New Orleans (Jazz now Hornets)

It didn't work before because the management did a horrible job. I think a team could work. Canadians fans are die hard and stand by their team all the way.

Look at this site alone, many posters are Raptor fans.

_KB24_
05-15-2009, 12:46 AM
No! Vancouver is not a good place to move an nba franchise.
Vancouver!? Come on now! If anything seattle or las vegas.

Can you give me atleast a couple of DECENT points before you start running your arrogant mouth? Just because Seattle got robbed of a team AS well did Vancouver, doesn't mean they are not basketball ready cities.

IversonIsKrazy
05-15-2009, 02:36 AM
C'mon! Finally a team in my home-town. C'mon Canada, we can spend money on the olympics, we can spend money on NBA. Please let Vancouver have a team!