PDA

View Full Version : USC being investigated for Mayo situation

Hawkeye15
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
nice. If this is true, shows a lot of character on OJ's part

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AgVmidtxyglB1IPrAjQOskk5nYcB?slug=ys-floyd051209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Randy West
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
These kids should get something

All the money they bring into the schools, athletic programs agents and so on and so on. When you are a star athlete at college you spend so much time on athletics it isn't like you are getting a proper education anyway.

For all the money college athletes generate for their schools they should receive something imo.

IBleedPurple
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Heard some of that before, but not in as much detail. Crazy

USC could be in it deep if all or most of that proves to be true

boeknows
05-14-2009, 01:21 AM

All the money they bring into the schools, athletic programs agents and so on and so on. When you are a star athlete at college you spend so much time on athletics it isn't like you are getting a proper education anyway.

For all the money college athletes generate for their schools they should receive something imo.

Why cause getting a couple million each year in the nba isnt going to get you anywhere these days?

S.J.Basketball
05-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Some guy was paid to do his job which was to seduce a young kid with money, gifts and whatever else.

HoosierDaddy
05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
guilty

theimortalone
05-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Jeez Mayo! :pity:

Big Quett
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Big Quett
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
nice. If this is true, shows a lot of character on OJ's part

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AgVmidtxyglB1IPrAjQOskk5nYcB?slug=ys-floyd051209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So you really think Oj is the only college player to do this right? So i guess it says nothing about Floyd's character right? OJ is a kid that is not an excuse. But i would expect more from a 40 something old man than a 20 year old at the time. But i guess for you OJ was the only person to do something wrong though in your eyes.

This goes on at every high profile college. And with every high profile so called student athlete. It just doesnt get reported or caught in every case.

It any of this wasnt about money. More college freshmen would stay in school for a more than a year.

masalex1205
05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
So you really think Oj is the only college player to do this right? So i guess it says nothing about Floyd's character right? OJ is a kid that is not an excuse. But i would expect more from a 40 something old man than a 20 year old at the time. But i guess for you OJ was the only person to do something wrong though in your eyes.

This goes on at every high profile college. And with every high profile so called student athlete. It just doesnt get reported or caught in every case.

It any of this wasnt about money. More college freshmen would stay in school for a more than a year.

I strongly disagree with this. While I concur that USC is hardly alone in make improper moves there are a number of programs that do not. I really believe that programs like Duke under Coach K and UNC under Roy Williams are run the right way.

TragicallyHip
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm with you 100%

I played baseball at a Div. III school and that was like a full time job. I can't imagine the commitment that is required to be a star at a Div. I program in any sport.

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 10:44 AM

USC's tuition increased by about $1,300 from the 2006-2007 academic school year to the 2007-2008 academic year, on par with the national average. But once housing, books and miscellaneous fees and expenses are added, the average undergraduate student can expect to pay almost $50,000 a year, according to statistics published on the USC Financial Aid website.

Yeah Mayo didn't get anything. :rolleyes:

Randy West
05-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Why cause getting a couple million each year in the nba isnt going to get you anywhere these days?

Not every single college athlete is going to the NBA or going into professional sports. But at the bigger colleges where they are helping bring in millions upon millions of dollars getting a little something in return is not too much to ask for.

Should they be driving Escalades with 22's no I don't think so........but paying them something for basically going to school and working a full time job shouldn't be too much to ask.

Randy West
05-14-2009, 11:46 AM
USC's tuition increased by about $1,300 from the 2006-2007 academic school year to the 2007-2008 academic year, on par with the national average. But once housing, books and miscellaneous fees and expenses are added, the average undergraduate student can expect to pay almost $50,000 a year, according to statistics published on the USC Financial Aid website.

Yeah Mayo didn't get anything. :rolleyes:

And these college athletes help bring in tens of millions of dollars so they are not really giving anything back right :confused:

Both universities have enjoyed increased athletic department revenues in recent years. The Trojans reported revenue of $76.4-million for the 2007-08 academic year, a $26,231increase over the previous year. UCLA had revenue of $66 million last year, a $4.77 million increase.

I am sure stars like Sanchez and Mayo had nothing to do with increasing the revenue right:rolleyes:

You put good teams on the floor and field attendance goes up........schools make more money........pretty simple concept........and for all that the athlete gets an education they usually don't end up finishing if they are any good. Give them some money on a monthly basis and keep them at school, keep the teams good and the attendance up and maybe just maybe at some point they have extra money that gets rolled back to the schools and tuitions actually go down for a change.

But I am sure you are right......if you were really good at something you would just stay at school and do it for free instead of turning pro and making boatloads of money........yeah......sure......right!

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
And these college athletes help bring in tens of millions of dollars so they are not really giving anything back right :confused:

Both universities have enjoyed increased athletic department revenues in recent years. The Trojans reported revenue of $76.4-million for the 2007-08 academic year, a $26,231increase over the previous year. UCLA had revenue of $66 million last year, a $4.77 million increase.

I am sure stars like Sanchez and Mayo had nothing to do with increasing the revenue right:rolleyes:

You put good teams on the floor and field attendance goes up........schools make more money........pretty simple concept........and for all that the athlete gets an education they usually don't end up finishing if they are any good. Give them some money on a monthly basis and keep them at school, keep the teams good and the attendance up and maybe just maybe at some point they have extra money that gets rolled back to the schools and tuitions actually go down for a change.

But I am sure you are right......if you were really good at something you would just stay at school and do it for free instead of turning pro and making boatloads of money........yeah......sure......right!

So how do you decide who gets how much?

Once you decide to pay them do you need to structure it so Mark Sanchez makes X much more then the OL who block for him? What about the walk-ons or the 5th string WR?

What about the difference between USC and a school like Boise State? How do you decide what is fair to pay players at different schools?

What about non revenue generating sports like baseball, golf, or volleyball? Do they get paid because they are D1 Athletes? They are putting in just as much time and effort as the FB and Basketball players.

College athletes will never get paid because there is no fair system that can be put in place to fairly reward them all.

If you start paying athletes then the NCAA will lose it's tax exempt status and then there is a much smaller pool to pay out to the schools.

There is no argument that certain sports bring in tons of money. My argument is that paying college athletes makes no sense for the NCAA or the schools so it will never happen.

College athletes are paid. College athletes get to choose where to go to showcase their talents to professional teams for no cost. They are given every opportunity to succeed at their chosen sport. They have no financial burden....unlike the previous poster who played D3 baseball and probably had to pay his own bills.

How would you justify paying the starting PG at your school more then some of the professors?

It's a ridiculous argument.

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Not every single college athlete is going to the NBA or going into professional sports. But at the bigger colleges where they are helping bring in millions upon millions of dollars getting a little something in return is not too much to ask for.

Should they be driving Escalades with 22's no I don't think so........but paying them something for basically going to school and working a full time job shouldn't be too much to ask.

So how much should they get paid for their "full time job"?

$50,000 for school plus their job salary equals what?

What about the difference between USC and a public school that may only cost $15,000 to go to per year?

Just saying college athletes should be paid is a pretty ignorant statement when it's followed by the argument "School A makes (this much money). Athletes should be paid!"

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Where did I say that athletes should stay and play longer then necessary?

I provided a rebuttal to the person that said Mayo got nothing for his time at USC. He got around $50,000 worth of stuff from USC (plus a little more under the table it sounds). Plus he got an opportunity to showcase his talents at a high profile school.

Sure he earned his own NBA contract, but it's not like he was working in a sweatshop at USC. He was a star on that campus and probably had everything he wanted.

Randy West
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
So how much should they get paid for their "full time job"?

$50,000 for school plus their job salary equals what?

What about the difference between USC and a public school that may only cost $15,000 to go to per year?

Just saying college athletes should be paid is a pretty ignorant statement when it's followed by the argument "School A makes (this much money). Athletes should be paid!"

So were we talking about a JC athlete?? I think we were talking about top tier schools that have athletic programs that make tens of millions of dollars or at least I was.....I don't see where I said anything else so assuming makes exactly who look ignorant?

I did not even bring up the sec where some of the monies brought in are closer to 100 million a year.......but yeah lets compare USC with American River College thats brilliant and exactly what I was trying to do :rolleyes:

Randy West
05-14-2009, 12:31 PM
So how do you decide who gets how much?

Once you decide to pay them do you need to structure it so Mark Sanchez makes X much more then the OL who block for him? What about the walk-ons or the 5th string WR?

What about the difference between USC and a school like Boise State? How do you decide what is fair to pay players at different schools?

What about non revenue generating sports like baseball, golf, or volleyball? Do they get paid because they are D1 Athletes? They are putting in just as much time and effort as the FB and Basketball players.

College athletes will never get paid because there is no fair system that can be put in place to fairly reward them all.

If you start paying athletes then the NCAA will lose it's tax exempt status and then there is a much smaller pool to pay out to the schools.

There is no argument that certain sports bring in tons of money. My argument is that paying college athletes makes no sense for the NCAA or the schools so it will never happen.

College athletes are paid. College athletes get to choose where to go to showcase their talents to professional teams for no cost. They are given every opportunity to succeed at their chosen sport. They have no financial burden....unlike the previous poster who played D3 baseball and probably had to pay his own bills.

How would you justify paying the starting PG at your school more then some of the professors?

It's a ridiculous argument.

No whats ridiculous is assuming that I am talking about paying the players more than the professors. I never threw out a dollar amount but I guess you just imagined I did.......we have already had one Div III baseball player agree that a little something wouldn't be a bad idea. I never brought up a dollar amount.......you would have to assume that everyone on said team would be paid equally.........and a guy or gal going to a school that made more would earn more.

So kids at Div I schools don't have bills?? No cost associated with going to school.......every Div I athlete gets a free ride and everything is taken care of........I seriously doubt that.

Seems like you have ideas but no one else is allowed to have any that differ........I wish I went to school where you go, sounds pretty diverse.

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
So were we talking about a JC athlete?? I think we were talking about top tier schools that have athletic programs that make tens of millions of dollars or at least I was.....I don't see where I said anything else so assuming makes exactly who look ignorant?

I did not even bring up the sec where some of the monies brought in are closer to 100 million a year.......but yeah lets compare USC with American River College thats brilliant and exactly what I was trying to do :rolleyes:

Where do you draw the line then on what school's athletes should be paid?

What about UCONN's women's basketball team compared to the men's team?

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 12:35 PM

I don't deny that there are more players that do it, and their characters are flawed as well.
Its against the rules. Mayo wasn't a kid who came from a broken neighborhood that had a sinlge mom working 3 jobs to eat. He didn't need the money. He basically, or his handlers basically, put him up for sale is what is being said.
That is not right.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
whether or not you think that athletes should receive compensation, its against the rules. End of story. And a player like Mayo for example, knew 100% he would be in the NBA. The money was coming. What he is accused of doing is wrong

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
No whats ridiculous is assuming that I am talking about paying the players more than the professors. I never threw out a dollar amount but I guess you just imagined I did.......we have already had one Div III baseball player agree that a little something wouldn't be a bad idea. I never brought up a dollar amount.......you would have to assume that everyone on said team would be paid equally.........and a guy or gal going to a school that made more would earn more.

Seems like you have ideas but no one else is allowed to have any that differ........I wish I went to school where you go, sounds pretty diverse.

You are more then allowed to have differing ideas. I would just like some more thoughtful explanations then "USC's athletic department makes 80 million a year so they should pay their athletes".

So if you feel that way then please answer some of my other questions so as to strengthen your argument.

Namely:
How much do you think they should get paid?

How do you decide who gets paid what?

Should a sport at USC like volleyball (just finished in the top 2 in the nation) get paid?

Also the SEC schools signed a TV contract worth tons of money to broadcast sports like Softball, Baseball, and Women's Basketball, in addition to FB and Men's Basketball. How would you decide who gets paid what in a situation like that?

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
and this is an NBA forum. Floyd is not involved in the NBA. He will be penalized accordingly, as will the school. Mayo on the other hand, will get no punishment. That sounds fair, huh?

Randy West
05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Where do you draw the line then on what school's athletes should be paid?

What about UCONN's women's basketball team compared to the men's team?

My thought would be that you were paid on performance.......did the women's team bring in more money to the school then the men's team?

I am not talking about tens of thousands of dollars a month or 100k contracts here I am talking about athletes being able to receive some money to make college life a little easier. They are helping the college bring in the money.......wouldn't you feel better about being in college and being an athlete if you had an extra two thousand bucks in your pocket? All I am saying is the kids that help make the programs so successful should share in that success is all.

If you don't agree you don't agree.........it really is not a huge deal just different thoughts tossed around on a message board.

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 12:44 PM
whether or not you think that athletes should receive compensation, its against the rules. End of story. And a player like Mayo for example, knew 100% he would be in the NBA. The money was coming. What he is accused of doing is wrong

I agree completely with this.

Bush and Mayo took under the table money/gifts and if it is found out later then USC takes the hit for it not them.

I guess then you can argue it is also the schools responsibility to know who they are recruiting.

NIUHuskies
05-14-2009, 12:50 PM
My thought would be that you were paid on performance.......did the women's team bring in more money to the school then the men's team?

Fair enough. I think there would be pretty big problems though when you consider a majority of sports do not make money. If a school has to pay athletes that bring in money are they allowed to charge athletes that cost them money?

That is where I feel the true problem lies.

Sports that generate revenue (FB, BB) are used to fund all the other sports that do not. You can't just have FB and BB because of Title IX.

Randy West
05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
and this is an NBA forum. Floyd is not involved in the NBA. He will be penalized accordingly, as will the school. Mayo on the other hand, will get no punishment. That sounds fair, huh?

Sounds like life to me.......it isn't fair and I am not trying to say what is going to happen to the USC program or Floyd will be fair........would this be an issue if everyone on USC's basketball team made two grand a month is more what I am getting at.

Big Quett
05-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't deny that there are more players that do it, and their characters are flawed as well.
Its against the rules. Mayo wasn't a kid who came from a broken neighborhood that had a sinlge mom working 3 jobs to eat. He didn't need the money. He basically, or his handlers basically, put him up for sale is what is being said.
That is not right.

Nobody is denying that if proved to be correct that it is wrong. But you seem not to give any responsibility to anybody else but Mayo. What about the coaches assistant coaches or anybody in a position of authority. I hold them more responsible than anybody else. Mayo was by all account a dumb kid. Kids make mistakes. Floyd and everybody knew better. But these are just allegations at this point. They may very well be true though. I mean the guy who told people this story Louis Johnson was a former associate of Mayo until he got fired. Who is to say he just doesnt want to get back at Mayo and Guillory .

Randy West
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Fair enough. I think there would be pretty big problems though when you consider a majority of sports do not make money. If a school has to pay athletes that bring in money are they allowed to charge athletes that cost them money?

That is where I feel the true problem lies.

Sports that generate revenue (FB, BB) are used to fund all the other sports that do not. You can't just have FB and BB because of Title IX.

Do athletes that cost you money get free college?

Yeah it would be a big issue on paying people out I am sure........would it be fair and equal to everyone.......I don't think so........all I am saying is big college programs that use these athletes to generate huge revenue should give something back.......I understand your point that the athlete is using the college to showcase talent as well........so maybe it should just be a wash.........I don't really know. All I did was ask a question.........now we will get a bunch of different ideas of where people stand on it.

I know a guy who walked on at Hawaii and made the baseball team and became a starter on that team. The guys position he took was a on a scholarship......now why didn't that guy get dropped and my friend get his scholarship??? I don't know he obviously beat the other guy out but still had to pay to go to school and take time away from his studies to play baseball......is that fair?? My friend didn't complain he just happy to be playing.......I am sure he would have been happier had he not been paying as well but such is life.......it was his choice.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Nobody is denying that if proved to be correct that it is wrong. But you seem not to give any responsibility to anybody else but Mayo. What about the coaches assistant coaches or anybody in a position of authority. I hold them more responsible than anybody else. Mayo was by all account a dumb kid. Kids make mistakes. Floyd and everybody knew better. But these are just allegations at this point. They may very well be true though. I mean the guy who told people this story Louis Johnson was a former associate of Mayo until he got fired. Who is to say he just doesnt want to get back at Mayo and Guillory .

not arguing this point. But its wrong to go against NCAA violations. And the athlete, if the allegations etc come out later, doesn't deal with the consequences. The coach and school do. So they took a bigger chance, they will pay the price. I still think it question's Mayos character if it is true. And I would say the same for any other top recruit, especially one that came from a family that was financially fine, and was basically going to college only because he was forced to due to NBA rules.
Thats all I am saying. And I truly believe there are tons of players who are guilty of this. The high profile ones just make bigger news.

Randy West
05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I am wondering if Mayo got in touch with his old handler and offered him some of that NBA money he now has if the story would just go away?

I seriously doubt the handler is making a big deal about this because he feels it was or is wrong. He is making a big deal about it because all of a sudden he feels like he did not get his fair share of the riches. Just an opinion but I am almost willing to bet he isn't doing this out of the kindness of his heart........seems to me like it only became a story after he stopped getting P A I D

boeknows
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM

The players choose to do this. They dont have to play basketball or any sport in college. They can go to college like everyone else and pay for it like most people do. These players are treated very good. Most of them dont have to pay for college or at least not the whole thing. They can get help with any of their classes for free and get tutors for free while most other college students have to pay for their own tutors. Just because they help bring in money to the college doesnt mean they should get paid for it.

Hawkeye15
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
The players choose to do this. They dont have to play basketball or any sport in college. They can go to college like everyone else and pay for it like most people do. These players are treated very good. Most of them dont have to pay for college or at least not the whole thing. They can get help with any of their classes for free and get tutors for free while most other college students have to pay for their own tutors. Just because they help bring in money to the college doesnt mean they should get paid for it.

well Bo, he agrees with you that what Mayo is accused of doing is wrong, for sure. He is simply stating that college athletes should get paid, which is a valid argument. My whole problem, outside the fact that it is just blatantly against the rules, is that Mayo didn't come from a tough situation. He didn't need the money. Its against the rules, but there has never been a precedant of athletes getting in trouble after the fact. Which is insane. If you commit a crime at 18, you go to jail. At what point do you consider a kid not a kid?
that being said, there are tons of players who do this. Only the high profile ones make the news.

boeknows
05-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Sounds like life to me.......it isn't fair and I am not trying to say what is going to happen to the USC program or Floyd will be fair........would this be an issue if everyone on USC's basketball team made two grand a month is more what I am getting at.

You want to pay players $2000 a month to play basketball? So they are going to get paid more than a lot of people do working full time jobs. I could get another full time job and be working almost 80 hours a week and still not make 2000 a month. I think that would be just a little overboard.

mzgrizz
05-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Some moderator want to explain why this is in the NBA section and not the NCAA section?
I also think it is naive to think the star players have not been given extra bene's since forever. Come on.......rules are rules, but seriously.......If a big name school doesn't want to risk a booster or an agent showering stuff on a player......don't sign them. Temptation rules.

Hawkeye15
05-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Some moderator want to explain why this is in the NBA section and not the NCAA section?
I also think it is naive to think the star players have not been given extra bene's since forever. Come on.......rules are rules, but seriously.......If a big name school doesn't want to risk a booster or an agent showering stuff on a player......don't sign them. Temptation rules.

OJ Mayo plays in the NBA. That is why it is in here.
And I agree that players should get some sort of compensation, not really interested in thinking about how. But the fact is, its against the rules. End of story. The university will get whats coming if its true. OJ will get no punishment at all. I simply started it, because it questions character if you break the rules, even if the rules don't make any sense

Randy West
05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
You want to pay players $2000 a month to play basketball? So they are going to get paid more than a lot of people do working full time jobs. I could get another full time job and be working almost 80 hours a week and still not make 2000 a month. I think that would be just a little overboard.

If you helped make your company or school 75 million a year you would probably feel underpaid if you only made two thousand dollars a month. That was just a figure thrown out there........the pay would have to be based off of earnings of course but it was just an idea.....A way to reward the people out there doing the hard work to do well at athletics.....that take time from their studies and put butts in the seats at the games.

Those folks in turn buy the 3.00 waters and the 5.00 sodas the shirts the jerseys and so on and so on.......I get you are not for it.......it was just an idea to help those financially that help the school financially is all.

I understand the education they are supposed to be getting is the incentive....I am sure you have heard professional athletes interviewed......what happened to the education they supposedly got?? I mean not all of them but the majority seemed to have not learned much.

Randy West
05-15-2009, 11:49 AM

I understand it is a choice.......it is also a choice for the schools to sign huge TV deals with networks who in turn sell commercials..........and all this generates tons of money........and the athlete supposedly gets an education.......and some of them do.....some don't seem that educated to me.

Now who exactly is putting in the work?? The head of the athletic department? The coach that at larger schools is usually making close to a million a season if not more.......the TV executive that brokers the multi million dollar tv contract........no it is the athlete that works in the gym, works out in the off season does well and gets people to the games.......they generate the money......all I am saying is they should get something for it.

You don't agree and that's cool......but I think they do more for the schools and the programs than the schools do for them in turn. Just a difference of opinion on the matter is all. I like to see those doing the hard work rewarded, being a professional athlete even at the college level is a 365 day a year job if you want to reach the top and stay there.

boeknows
05-16-2009, 01:53 AM
If you helped make your company or school 75 million a year you would probably feel underpaid if you only made two thousand dollars a month. That was just a figure thrown out there........the pay would have to be based off of earnings of course but it was just an idea.....A way to reward the people out there doing the hard work to do well at athletics.....that take time from their studies and put butts in the seats at the games.

Those folks in turn buy the 3.00 waters and the 5.00 sodas the shirts the jerseys and so on and so on.......I get you are not for it.......it was just an idea to help those financially that help the school financially is all.

I understand the education they are supposed to be getting is the incentive....I am sure you have heard professional athletes interviewed......what happened to the education they supposedly got?? I mean not all of them but the majority seemed to have not learned much.

At my job i help our store make over $100,000 a day. Thats only 36.5 mil just from our store alone. I dont even make 10 an hour. Im not complaining.

boeknows
05-16-2009, 02:01 AM
I understand it is a choice.......it is also a choice for the schools to sign huge TV deals with networks who in turn sell commercials..........and all this generates tons of money........and the athlete supposedly gets an education.......and some of them do.....some don't seem that educated to me.

Now who exactly is putting in the work?? The head of the athletic department? The coach that at larger schools is usually making close to a million a season if not more.......the TV executive that brokers the multi million dollar tv contract........no it is the athlete that works in the gym, works out in the off season does well and gets people to the games.......they generate the money......all I am saying is they should get something for it.

You don't agree and that's cool......but I think they do more for the schools and the programs than the schools do for them in turn. Just a difference of opinion on the matter is all. I like to see those doing the hard work rewarded, being a professional athlete even at the college level is a 365 day a year job if you want to reach the top and stay there.

Schools build new stadiums all the time for those players. They upgrade all their equipment and there floors and everything like that. Most of the time they use the money that they get to improve their things for the athletes. I guess i just disagree on the fact that athletes already get a lot of stuff and lots of benefits. Why do they need more?

Kakaroach
05-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I would not be surprised if all the major recruit were taking money under the table. Especially at USC, anyone remember Reggie Bush?

BroSweets
05-16-2009, 12:15 PM

I somewhat agree, but I could see that turning ugly really fast. Title IX could make that all super ugly, and the athletes for the less glamourous athletic teams would probably demand compensation for their time, as well.

But, on the flip side, basketball and football are the two big money makers for schools. It would be good to see them get paid, in my opinion, but it would be too much trouble in the end.

Randy West
05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
At my job i help our store make over $100,000 a day. Thats only 36.5 mil just from our store alone. I dont even make 10 an hour. Im not complaining.

So you wouldn't complain if you were given a bonus if the store did extra business because you were employed there either would you??

But seriously.....thousands of people are not paying admission to come to your place of business. Stock the shelves or do data entry on a PC or whatever it is you may do.........so while you would like to make it sound like you are as integral to Targets or where ever you works success you aren't.

People that play Div I college athletics are........I am not sure how else I could explain it to make it anymore clear.

astrosmaniac
05-16-2009, 11:28 PM

So kids at Div I schools don't have bills?? No cost associated with going to school.......every Div I athlete gets a free ride and everything is taken care of........I seriously doubt that.

unless your a walk on, then yes, they pretty much are.

astrosmaniac
05-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Do athletes that cost you money get free college?

Yeah it would be a big issue on paying people out I am sure........would it be fair and equal to everyone.......I don't think so........all I am saying is big college programs that use these athletes to generate huge revenue should give something back.......I understand your point that the athlete is using the college to showcase talent as well........so maybe it should just be a wash.........I don't really know. All I did was ask a question.........now we will get a bunch of different ideas of where people stand on it.

I know a guy who walked on at Hawaii and made the baseball team and became a starter on that team. The guys position he took was a on a scholarship......now why didn't that guy get dropped and my friend get his scholarship??? I don't know he obviously beat the other guy out but still had to pay to go to school and take time away from his studies to play baseball......is that fair?? My friend didn't complain he just happy to be playing.......I am sure he would have been happier had he not been paying as well but such is life.......it was his choice.

they give it back by using that money to provide better facilities and improving the programs so that they are more nationally acclaimed. that way the players get more attention and can showcase their talents better

Randy West
05-17-2009, 06:35 PM
they give it back by using that money to provide better facilities and improving the programs so that they are more nationally acclaimed. that way the players get more attention and can showcase their talents better

You are putting the cart before the horse imo

The athletes are what make the money for the school.....not the other way around.

boeknows
05-18-2009, 02:32 AM
So you wouldn't complain if you were given a bonus if the store did extra business because you were employed there either would you??

If it were legal yes i would take it and say thank you. But if it were against the law or against regulations that are put in tact i would have to say no.