PDA

View Full Version : How many of you still think Gasol trade was a steal?

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I mean....

a LOT of CAP RELEASE that may make Memphis great bidders in FA this year or next year ( i can definelty can see Boozer the Money ***** accepting a grizz maximum offer).

2 picks

1 of them Arthut who looks Promising.

Marc Gasol.....can be a 15 ppg 10 rpg type of guy when hitting prime....yea he is not Pau...he is TOUGHER and 15/10 LEGIT (not disguised pf) starting Centers dont grow on trees nowdays...

AMC31
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't think it was a steal anymore, at first I did but thats because Marc Gasol wasnt in the NBA yet, the Mo Williams trade was more of a steal.
damon jones<<<<<<<Mo Williams.

Gibby23
05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I think it was a steal.

still1ballin
05-13-2009, 01:17 PM
it was a rape

xxdc2tegxx
05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Laker or memphis fan....don't matter...it was steal

Arguably a Top 5 PF in the league right now...still in the playoffs...a steal

THE_FLASH_21
05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Not really. Gasol is too weak. But his size over matches everyone shorter. He can also shoot. top 5 PF in west maybe. His brother is gonna be good. It was dumb ****en trade, but not "no rape steal or murder!!! LOL

Jack Bauers Cuz
05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah it was ^^^^

Why are you in denial ?, do you dislike LA ?

TragicallyHip
05-13-2009, 01:37 PM
absolutly was a steal. Stern probably pushed it through.

UofA
not really. Gasol is too weak. But his size over matches everyone shorter. He can also shoot. Top 5 pf in west maybe. His brother is gonna be good. It was dumb ****en trade, but not "no rape steal or murder!!! Lol

+1

Jack Bauers Cuz
All Star Pau Gasol For Kwame Brown (Waste Of Space) Aaron Mckie (Waste Of Space) Javaris Crittenton (I Dont Know His Potential) And Marc (Everyone Knew He Had Talent But The Lakers Are Tryin To Win Now !!)

thephoenixson28
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I think it was more of a hit it and quit it not a rape. Cuz a hit it and quit it makes the girl look bad and that's how memphis looks right now.

anpmp
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
From a talent perspective, it was a definite steal even with Marc Gasol added on. But the Memphis GM made it quite clear that the trade was being made for financial purposes. Kwame's $8 million expiring contract was what he wanted. If the contract was not expiring, the trade would not have happened. So there's no point in discussing whether Memphis got equal talent back in return for Gasol.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
05-13-2009, 02:01 PM
all star pau gasol for kwame brown (waste of space) aaron mckie (waste of space) javaris crittenton (i dont know his potential) and marc (everyone knew he had talent but the lakers are tryin to win now !!)

+1

Hawkeye15
05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
big time steal at this point

masalex1205
05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
How good do yall think Memphis would be w/ Gasol still on the team? Something that has always interested me.

hotpotato1092
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Marc Gasol is good, Pau Gasol is an all star. There's a big difference. Those two picks at the end of the first round probably won't pan out because late picks rarely do. The Lakers gave up one thing of any value to them to get an all star and solidify their front court for the next decade, definitely still a steal.

Vidball
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
The Lakers traded two #1's but got a #2 from MEM (which will almost be as good as a #1 from the Lakers).

So the Lakers basically traded Marc Gasol and a 1st round pick for his All-Star brother.

Steal!

IBleedPurple
Marc Gasol is good, Pau Gasol is an all star. There's a big difference. Those two picks at the end of the first round probably won't pan out because late picks rarely do. The Lakers gave up one thing of any value to them to get an all star and solidify their front court for the next decade, definitely still a steal.

x2

Bullsfan22
it was a rape with no vaseline..marc gasol and kwame<pau gasol

CrotchetyOldMan
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
it was a rape with no vaseline..marc gasol and kwame<pau gasol

Y'all are not looking at this with any perspective at all. You actually can't evaluate the trade yet. Obviously, Pau's talent surpasses that of Kwame Brown and his brother Marc but that's not what the trade should be evaluated on. We have to wait and see what the Grizz do with their extra money due to Kwame's expiring contract. If they use it to bring in a superstar free agent which isn't likely until the free agent class of 2010, then it changes how you look at the trade. The best they can do with it this year is Boozer (in which case yes the lakers did rob them) or Kobe which is not gonna happen. Beyond that there are no available free agents in 2009 that they could sign to equal the loss of Pau Gasol. If they wait until 2010 and can sign one of the top free agents, again unlikely, then the trade will have paid off.
Anyway the point is the trade was not about talent for talent it was about what the Grizz can do in the future with Brown's expiring contract. It's actually pretty much the same as the Billups/Iverson trade which on the talent side was obviously a huge win for the Nuggets but as for the Pistons time will tell if they can take Iverson's contract and turn it into an all-star player.

cantstopthee
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
both teams got a good deal,even trade imo

superkegger
05-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Marc Gasol will be decent. No more. Pau is a pereniall all star that makes the Lakers championship contenders for several more years to come. The Grizzlies didn't get shafted as badly as first thought, but they sure as hell could've gotten more talent than they did.

It was absolutely a steal, any time a team gives up that little to add an all star and make themselves a perenial contender, it is an absolute steal.

txravis12
05-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Marc Gasol will be decent. No more. Pau is a pereniall all star that makes the Lakers championship contenders for several more years to come. The Grizzlies didn't get shafted as badly as first thought, but they sure as hell could've gotten more talent than they did.

It was absolutely a steal, any time a team gives up that little to add an all star and make themselves a perenial contender, it is an absolute steal.

sorry to single you out here but im tryin to make a point.

memphis was looking for cap relief. and a guy who can be a quality center. they got him. they got their cap relief. browns expiring, along with mckies expiring. plus 2 first round picks. to help get more role players... they could go down as the team who wins this deal if the lakers fail to win the championship with pau. otherwise its an even trade. win/win

Master Mind
05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
They got Pau Gasol for a blow pop, a coupon and a etch-a-sketch that say Memphis is #1

The_Mac22
05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
it was rape.

Joshtd1
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, still think it was a steal at this point.

Unruly Fan
05-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Y'all are not looking at this with any perspective at all. You actually can't evaluate the trade yet. Obviously, Pau's talent surpasses that of Kwame Brown and his brother Marc but that's not what the trade should be evaluated on.
Why not?
While Memphis is still waiting... The Lakers are currently in the playoffs (again) on route to possibly winning the championship.

braveniler58
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
The Lakers ripped Memphis a new hole with that trade, period. Maybe in the long (very long) run, Memphis will come out as a good team, but the Lakers instantly became title contenders with that trade.

Nets fan 93
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
for what the lakers are doing... yeah... it was a steal

NJrockPD
05-13-2009, 03:27 PM

hahahaha.

superkegger
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
sorry to single you out here but im tryin to make a point.

memphis was looking for cap relief. and a guy who can be a quality center. they got him. they got their cap relief. browns expiring, along with mckies expiring. plus 2 first round picks. to help get more role players... they could go down as the team who wins this deal if the lakers fail to win the championship with pau. otherwise its an even trade. win/win

The Grizz got marc, who put up 12 and 7. Will he ever do much more than that? Maybe, he's probably at absolute best 15 and 10. And will he ever get to that point? I doubt it, because as Mayo and Gay and Conley grow as players, marc's role will diminish a bit. He's a serviceable center, but he's not a throw it into him and run the offense through him kind of post player. I mean you could, but it's not going to result in wins.

The cap relief was nice, but cap relief is never a good reason to trade an all star.

The third piece they got was the 2 picks, one of which became darrell arthur, round aboutly anyway, and the one they have of the Lakers next year will result in a 25-30th pick, who will contribute what to the team?

The last piece they got was Javaris crittendon, who they traded for another draft pick, that is top 16 protected in 2009, top 14 protected in 2010-12, top 12 protected in 2013, else 2014 second round pick. One would think it will probably be theirs in 2010, but maybe not.

So really, what they got for an all star was much too little. Much much too little. Unless by some stroke of luck they find one of those complete hidden gems late in the draft.

FarOutIos
05-13-2009, 03:42 PM

Rarely do? If you look back at past drafts at least 50% of picks 20-30 are still good contributers in the NBA.

As a kings fan, I know our last 3 picks in the 20's turned out to be Francisco Garcia (key contributer), Kevin Martin (great starter) and Gerald Wallace (project who now is a good starter).

That's 3 for 3...

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 03:46 PM
^rudy fernandez, Tony Parker, GIlbert arenas.....thats only some lat first roudners out there...

madiaz3
05-13-2009, 03:47 PM
How good do yall think Memphis would be w/ Gasol still on the team? Something that has always interested me.

Gasol had expressed his disinterest with being the #1 option on a team before.

MiamiHeat
05-13-2009, 03:58 PM
wrong thread

fredv
05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
To the OP: They didn't pick Arthur in the draft...

jimbobjarree
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
^rudy fernandez, Tony Parker, GIlbert arenas.....thats only some lat first roudners out there...

wasnt Gil a second rounder?

superkegger
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Rarely do? If you look back at past drafts at least 50% of picks 20-30 are still good contributers in the NBA.

As a kings fan, I know our last 3 picks in the 20's turned out to be Francisco Garcia (key contributer), Kevin Martin (great starter) and Gerald Wallace (project who now is a good starter).

That's 3 for 3...

there are some good contributors that come out of the late 1st round.

But a lot don't do much, and we're most likely talking about a 25-30 pick.

25. Utah- Morris Almond
26. Houston- Aaron Brooks
27. Detroit- Arron Afflalo
28. San Antonio- Tiago Splitter
29. Phoenix- Alando Tucker
30. Philadelphia- Petteri Koponen

25. Cleveland- Shannon Brown
26. LA Lakers- Jordan Farmar
27. Portland- Sergio Rodriguez
28. Dallaa- Maurice Ager
29. New York- Mardy Collins
30. Portland- Joel Freeland

25. Seattle- Johan Petro
26. Detroit- Jason Maxiell
27. Portland- Linas Kleiza
28. San Antonio- Ian Mahinmi
29. Miami- Wayne Simien
30. New York- David Lee

25. Boston- Tony Allen
26. Sacramento- Kevin Martin
27. LA Lakers- Sasha Vujacic
28. San Antonio- Beno Udrih
29. *Minnesota Minnesota's forfeits first-rounder in 2004
30. Indiana- David Harrison

25. Detroit- Carlos Delfino
26. Minnesota- Ndudi Ebi
27. Memphis- Kendrick Perkins
28. San Antonio- Leandrinho Barbosa
29. Dallas- Josh Howard

24. New Jersey- Nenad Krstic
25. Denver-Frank Williams
26. San Antonio- John Salmons
27. LA Lakers- Chris Jefferies
28. Sacramento- Dan Dickau

24. Utah- Raul Lopez
25. Sacramento- Gerald Wallace
26. Philadelphia- Samuel Dalembert
27. Atlanta- Jamaal Tinsley
28. San Antonio- Tony Parker

25. Phoenix- Jake Tsakalidis
26. Denver- Mamadou N'diaye
27. Indiana- Primoz Brezec
28. Portland- Erick Barkley
29. LA Lakers- Mark Madsen

SO yes, there are some gems, but there's a lot more mediocrity. Take the balance, and say they get a Jason Maxiell type player, it's still a steal of a trade.

superkegger
05-13-2009, 04:15 PM
To the OP: They didn't pick Arthur in the draft...

they didn't but roundabout, its what the pick they got from the Lakers resulted in. they also traded a 2009 second round pick with that 28th pick, that was donte greene to get Arthur, so essentially if was Arthur they got with that pick. Not exactly, but close enough.

Lakergirl24
05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
steal

leftymo
05-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Grizz still have a 1st round pick coming next year for the deal.

They traded Critt to Washington so we won't know how he develops...

But the Lakers have gotten hosed on deals also.

The Gasol & Ariza deals were great.

But Caron Butler & Chucky Atkins for Kwame Brown???

My favorite is the one LEAST publicized.

Gary Payton, Rick Fox, and 1st round pick (ended up being Rajon Rondo) to Boston for Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Chucky Atkins.

bulldog2683
05-13-2009, 05:41 PM

if you think this was an even trade, I wouldn't want to be ripped off by you

hahaha

Thatruth32
05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
it wasnt a steal.. it was more like a rape

Young2Kinsler
05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
This is pretty meaningless, since with or without Gasol, Memphis would be a bottom half team in the Western Conference the next 5 years.

The trade was completely one sided without a doubt, but it's not like it made Memphis that much worse. Gasol looks good playing next to Odom and Kobe, he looked like a 2nd rate wanna be superstar in Memphis.

robdizzle3
05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Gasol is a top 10 F/C in the league without a doubt.I mean the Grizzlies did get a future good point in Critt,and a Gasol will be a stud.It still doesnt take away the fact that as soon as Gasol came the Lakers were Western Conference champions and look like they will be headed back.Gasol's skills are rare for his size and the Lakers are seeing all of it

robdizzle3
05-13-2009, 06:13 PM
This is pretty meaningless, since with or without Gasol, Memphis would be a bottom half team in the Western Conference the next 5 years.

The trade was completely one sided without a doubt, but it's not like it made Memphis that much worse. Gasol looks good playing next to Odom and Kobe, he looked like a 2nd rate wanna be superstar in Memphis.

Everyone knew that gasol was a lost start in Memphis and thats why he wanted out

azkarraga
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
i'm glad for gasol. both of them. pau is an all star. marc will be a very solid c very soon.

AllDay28
05-13-2009, 07:03 PM
was not a steal. just a trade that helps both teams.

Duncan = Donkey
05-13-2009, 07:12 PM
massive raping

Super.
05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
it was a rape

:laugh:

ahh so true...

poor poor memphis....

Ovratd1up
05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
It was a huge steal for the Lakers, but that doesn't mean the Grizzlies got raped. They will soon be getting their return on their investment, while L.A's is already paying off.

IBleedPurple
05-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Arrest the Lakers front office, a crime has been committed

greg_ory_2005
05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Even if the Grizz clear up tons of cap space, who would wanna sign there? Unless they massively overpay someone, I don't really see any big names going there.

junion
05-13-2009, 08:11 PM
memphis was a woman who was already beaten in a dark alley, weak, and almost going to die. the lakers took all her jewelry, her purse, shoes, and clothes, then started to rape her. after that, they threw some old beat up shoes, and some salvation army clothes at her and also threw money at her to help her 'rebuild her life'.

Kabowdos
05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
It was a great trade for both sides.

Pau wanted to be on a contender and the Lakers needed him to become a contender.

Memphis has cap space and Marc Gasol, who looks promising. They got a draft pick. Critt could be something become apart of that team, but I don't think he can lead the team.

superkegger
05-13-2009, 09:34 PM
It was a great trade for both sides.

Pau wanted to be on a contender and the Lakers needed him to become a contender.

Memphis has cap space and Marc Gasol, who looks promising. They got a draft pick. Critt could be something become apart of that team, but I don't think he can lead the team.

It'll be hard for Critt to be a part of the Grizzlies, let alone a leader for them, considering he's a Washington Wizard.

Maximis
05-13-2009, 10:00 PM
steal and a half..no doubt.

Storch
05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I think it was more of a hit it and quit it not a rape. Cuz a hit it and quit it makes the girl look bad and that's how memphis looks right now.

well in that sense, maybe the grizzlies are gona give birth to a really talented player out of the hit it n quit it situation. :rolleyes:

29$JerZ
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Wasn;t a Steal, Memphis wasn't going anywhere with Pau.
So they got a ton of free Cap, and losing seasons turned to Marc Gasol, O.J. Mayo, and Darell Authur.

So in reality

Pau Gasol

for
O.J
Marc
Author
Cap for the next 2 years.

Ironman5219
05-13-2009, 10:46 PM
steal

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I mean....

a LOT of CAP RELEASE that may make Memphis great bidders in FA this year or next year ( i can definelty can see Boozer the Money ***** accepting a grizz maximum offer).

2 picks

Marc Gasol.....can be a 15 ppg 10 rpg type of guy when hitting prime....yea he is not Pau...he is TOUGHER and 15/10 LEGIT (not disguised pf) starting Centers dont grow on trees nowdays...

it was absolutely still a steal...cap space is irrelevant for the grizzlies, because they are the poorest team in the nba...they will not be luring any big time players/stars into their team through off season signings..

pau is a 3rd team nba player...marc will never get close to that...i think at best marc will be a 12 and 8 guy which is not bad at all, but it doesn't come close to pau

Jacob K.
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Wasn;t a Steal, Memphis wasn't going anywhere with Pau.
So they got a ton of free Cap, and losing seasons turned to Marc Gasol, O.J. Mayo, and Darell Authur.

So in reality

Pau Gasol

for
O.J
Marc
Author
Cap for the next 2 years.

that is a different way of looking at it

nik.jd.aitken
05-13-2009, 10:58 PM
If you win an NBA title, it is a steal.

cHi8DaL5LA420
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
lakers got what they wanted bottom line... it hasnt gotten them a chaampionship yet... it was a steal... but we have not gotten the outcome yet we had hoped from the trade

Kevj77
05-13-2009, 11:15 PM
You can't judge this trade until we know what the Griz do with the cap space and picks they received. They traded Crit and James for a conditional first round pick. They made this trade for Marc, cap space and picks. They still haven't used the cap space or all the picks. It looked like a huge steal instantly after the trade because of the instant results the Lakers got from it.

Kakaroach
05-13-2009, 11:16 PM
A huge steal. Lakers are like a 4 or 5 seed without Gasol.

JJ81
05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
It put the Lakers over the top, losing pretty much nothing useful to them (appart from Marc) in the process.

phila_gorilla
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Not really. Gasol is too weak. But his size over matches everyone shorter. He can also shoot. top 5 PF in west maybe. His brother is gonna be good. It was dumb ****en trade, but not "no rape steal or murder!!! LOL

Bitter Jazz fan.

phila_gorilla
05-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Even if the Grizz clear up tons of cap space, who would wanna sign there? Unless they massively overpay someone, I don't really see any big names going there.

Is your Sig for real?

RaidLakeDodgers
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I mean....

2 picks

Marc Gasol.....can be a 15 ppg 10 rpg type of guy when hitting prime....yea he is not Pau...he is TOUGHER and 15/10 LEGIT (not disguised pf) starting Centers dont grow on trees nowdays...yeah , still a steal

BenFrank
05-14-2009, 10:53 AM
It wasn't a steal.. Jerry West, gave Gasol away to help his beloved laker's franchise

greg_ory_2005
05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Is your Sig for real?

Very real.

cantstopthee
05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
if you think this was an even trade, I wouldn't want to be ripped off by you

hahaha

lol cap space is a great thing my friend ill take that anyday,its not a fair trade because the gm sucks

Lo Porto
05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Absolute steal for L.A. Think about it, L.A. does not beat Utah the last two years if they have Kwame Brown instead of Gasol. They surely don't make the West Finals in either year. Kwame came off the books last year and Memphis still did nothing with the money. Had Memphis turned that money into a player of quality, then there might be a discussion.

what54!?
05-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Its still a steal. I don't care how much cap they got they don't have the players to lure a real big player to change that franchise. As for draft picks they'll be late first round picks, they may able to contribute but not change their franchise. They still traded away an all-star for a bust and a rookie who they don't even have anymore.

YAOMING4MVP
05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I think it was an armed robbery and because the Griz don't know how to win or even want to win. The Lakers pulled up in a van with some trash and some guns then left with Pau. They got lucky when the trash could be recycled in to cap space. The cap space don't mean anything if you don't know what to do with it. They will be forever rebuilding.

Vidball
05-14-2009, 05:07 PM
ANY organization playing to win (and not just to make money) would trade a couple picks, some expiring contracts from useless players and an unproven prospect for an All-Star big man in his prime.
Steal!

mrblisterdundee
05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
It was a good trade for both the Lakers and the Grizzlies. One team was needy in the present, and the other team was needy in the future.