PDA

View Full Version : Dwight finally found a pair, questions svg

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Magic center Dwight Howard openly questioned the decisions of coach Stan Van Gundy after Tuesday night's Game 5 loss to the Celtics.

"Offensively I have to get the ball," Howard said after the 92-88 loss. "I don't think you are going to win a lot of games when your post player only gets 10 shots. It's tough to get yourself going and get a lot of touches without a lot of shots. We have to do a better job with that."

Howard tried to phrase his comments carefully, as to not throw anyone under the bus, but his feelings were obvious.

"I'm not going to get up here and bash or say anything about what should happen, but I will say it's tough to win when all season long you play inside-out and you trust one of the people who got you off to a good season," Howard said. "I think I'm capable of scoring in the post, but I don't think 10 shots is enough.

"You've got a dominant player, let him be dominant."

Howard went 5-for-10 from the field and had 12 points and 17 rebounds in the loss.

its about time he spoke out against this coachs strategies, 1 touch in a 4th quarter to your star player up 14 againnnnnnnnn? fire-able

http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/59145/20090513/howard_questions_lack_of_touches_in_loss/

KeithLBC
05-13-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9456059&postcount=5

{}
05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
SVG is responsible for D.Howard lacking a post game and being helpless at the free throw line? :rolleyes:

Dwight 'finally found a pair'? IMO, if he had a pair he would have said something during the 4th quarter when it mattered. Not waited until after the game to deflect criticism against him and his inability to be a go-to guy in a close game by blaming his coach. In a close game Boston, much less any quality team, aren't going to give Dwight any of his spoonfed alleyoop scoring opportunities

Wilson
05-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Cool. Let's see if they can make the adjustment for game six. Hopefully Howard goes for 30 and 20 :)

ManRam
05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
He isn't getting the ball because he doesn't deserve it. Dwight isn't a go-to player. You can't give him the ball and expect him to score unless he gets it under the net. He is not the best option, at all. Not even close. While everyone else choked last night, I still don't want the ball in Dwight's hand late in the game. His offensive game is horrible right now. He's had an awful series. Sure, SVG has choked too...but how about you start making some shots, and prove that you deserve to take more than 10 shots a game. The two games the Magic have won this series, Howard shot the ball 5 and 6 times. He's not an offensive go-to player.

Unruly Fan
05-13-2009, 11:50 AM
From little i've seen last night It seemed that Boston did not double DHow that often; maybe even not at all. He run a lot of pick and rolls near the end and you could tell he wanted the ball.

In any case, if Orlando wants some good shooting oppertunities DHow has to be effective down low. So they must get him the ball!

gauth25
05-13-2009, 12:07 PM
SVG is responsible for D.Howard lacking a post game and being helpless at the free throw line? :rolleyes:

Dwight 'finally found a pair'? IMO, if he had a pair he would have said something during the 4th quarter when it mattered. Not waited until after the game to deflect criticism against him and his inability to be a go-to guy in a close game by blaming his coach. In a close game Boston, much less any quality team, aren't going to give Dwight any of his spoonfed alleyoop scoring opportunities

Shaq was a horrible free throw shooter yet he still got the ball in the forth..Not much of a difference there.

I don't see why he's not getting the ball way more. The guy is 7 feet tall and 280lbs of pure muscle. I don't see Perkins or Big Baby lasting a full game trying to stop him. It's like in football when you run and run early in the game to wear the other team out, by the time the 4th quarter comes around the Celtics low post players will be tired and Dwight can go to work.

Missing56&33
05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
now is not the time for DH to question his head coach he has to remain focused and team oriented at this point and get past the Celtics. Why create a distraction before an elimination game. But SVG hasn't helped himself by blaming himself for the game 4 loss

ManRam
05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Shaq was a horrible free throw shooter yet he still got the ball in the forth...because he was an offensive force, and a go-to scorer. The difference: Dwight has no offensive game.

I totally see why he's not getting the ball way more. Sure, the guy is 7 feet tall and 280lbs of pure muscle, but he has absolutely no touch, is a turnover machine and no offensive moves. That's why Perkins and Big Baby last a full game and stop him. It's not at all like football when you run and run early in the game to wear the other team out, by the time the 4th quarter comes around the Celtics low post players will be tired and Dwight can go to work because Dwight can't ever go to work on the offensive side of the court, because athleticism doesn't cut in the NBA...skill and talent does.

Fixed.

Everyone needs to stop pretending like Howard is anything more than a garbage clean-up, no post skills offensive player. Stop demanding that he get the ball. He doesn't get it because he can't create his own (good) shot.

xxdc2tegxx
05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
He isn't getting the ball because he doesn't deserve it. Dwight isn't a go-to player. You can't give him the ball and expect him to score unless he gets it under the net. He is not the best option, at all. Not even close. While everyone else choked last night, I still don't want the ball in Dwight's hand late in the game. His offensive game is horrible right now. He's had an awful series. Sure, SVG has choked too...but how about you start making some shots, and prove that you deserve to take more than 10 shots a game. The two games the Magic have won this series, Howard shot the ball 5 and 6 times. He's not an offensive go-to player.

i disagree...lack of offensive game or not in this stage of dwights career...diwght should be getting the ball

A top 5 player in the league...and the individual who many gms would choose as their franchise player...should be getting touches...let the superstar go on attack or either draw the defense in

ManRam
05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
i disagree...lack of offensive game or not in this stage of dwights career...diwght should be getting the ball

A top 5 player in the league...and the individual who many gms would choose as their franchise player...should be getting touches...let the superstar go on attack or either draw the defense in

A franchise player should be a go-to scorer. Howard isn't. Because of this, the Magic wont ever win a championship until he gets the offensive skills the great big men of the past have possessed.

You don't give a guy the ball because he's a top 5 player in the league (I agree, he is). You give it to your best scorer. Howard is the Magic's 3rd best 4th quarter option. You think the Magic have choked in the playoffs??? I've seen Howard choke far too many times in the 4th when he gets the ball and is forced to create his own shot. He is an offensive liability in the 4th...especially without Jameer. Jameer can get him good looks. Rafer and Hedo can't. Because he can't create a shot...you can't give him the ball. You give it to your best scorer, or the guy who gives you the best chance of scoring. Howard is neither...hence why he isn't getting the ball. It isn't just SVG's decision...it is the team's. They know how much he struggles in the 4th.

what54!?
05-13-2009, 12:36 PM
there you go howard. demand the ball. Should have did it last game it doesn't hurt your image. But he has to show he can dominate the game too on offense.

{}
05-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Dwight threw his coach under the bus last night. So don't expect SVG to do Dwight any more favors by hiding his glaring weaknesses. Don't worry, SVG will make SURE Dwight gets the ball next game. And guess what? It won't be pretty. I'm looking forward watching it. :D

Next time any of you are on the basketball court and feel like goofing around, try to emulate Dwights game. The best way to replicate his shooting touch is to ball up both hands into a fist while trying to handle or shoot the ball. Try not to rupture your spleen laughing at the results. At least that explains why Dwight has that constant grin on his face all game. I think his so called 'skills' makes himself even laugh inside. Unfortunately for him, you can't blue collar hustle point yourself to victories in the postseason against playoff defenses. Defenses take away those gimmie points from cleaning the boards and catching easy assists from your teammates.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Dwight threw his coach under the bus last night. So don't expect SVG to do Dwight any more favors by hiding his glaring weaknesses. Don't worry, SVG will make SURE Dwight gets the ball next game. And guess what? It won't be pretty. I'm looking forward watching it. :D

Next time any of you are on the basketball court and feel like goofing around, try to emulate Dwights game. The best way to replicate his shooting touch is to ball up both hands into a fist while trying to handle or shoot the ball. Try not to rupture your spleen laughing at the results. At least that explains why Dwight has that constant grin on his face all game. I think his so called 'skills' makes himself even laugh inside. Unfortunately for him, you can't blue collar hustle point yourself to victories in the postseason against playoff defenses. Defenses take away those gimmie points from cleaning the boards and catching easy assists from your teammates.

:clap::clap:

As much as I want the Magic to win...I wouldn't mind watching Dwight get the ball 10 times in the 4th in a close game and showing the world how horrible he is offensively. Hopefully it will force him to put in the time with Patrick this off-season working on free throw shooting, a post up game, offensive moves more than just a horrible hook shot and maybe a little 8-10 foot jumper. He's only successful when he gets the ball under the hoop. If he has to work to get to the rim, he's screwed.

All these people wanting Dwight to get the ball more...just wait and see what happens if he does. I've seen it too many times over the last few years. He's an offensive LIABILITY in the 4th.

what54!?
05-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I think he needs to get deeper in the post. He's takes those hook shots near the free throw line.

but if you guys are right well see.

xxdc2tegxx
05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
A franchise player should be a go-to scorer. Howard isn't. Because of this, the Magic wont ever win a championship until he gets the offensive skills the great big men of the past have possessed.

You don't give a guy the ball because he's a top 5 player in the league (I agree, he is). You give it to your best scorer. Howard is the Magic's 3rd best 4th quarter option. You think the Magic have choked in the playoffs??? I've seen Howard choke far too many times in the 4th when he gets the ball and is forced to create his own shot. He is an offensive liability in the 4th...especially without Jameer. Jameer can get him good looks. Rafer and Hedo can't. Because he can't create a shot...you can't give him the ball. You give it to your best scorer, or the guy who gives you the best chance of scoring. Howard is neither...hence why he isn't getting the ball. It isn't just SVG's decision...it is the team's. They know how much he struggles in the 4th.

i do agree with a lot of what you say...

he is A franchise guy for ANY team out there right now...whether his offensive game is great or not

Honestly, i've defended numerous times how I think YAO is the better center...I guess some people believe D12 is more overrated ["as a superstar"] that others
If he's demanding the ball and taking shots at his coach....let him back it up

minervamob
05-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Are you people serious? This is ridiculous how you people are bad mouthing Dwight's offensive game. Saying he only gets garbage points and points from good assists?? Come on...he's not an all-star every season for no reason. Stan and the rest of the magic players don't think on the court. Its common sense to give your big man the ball in the post and set up for open shots as the defenders double team him. Turk, Lewis, alston and reddick are firing up these stupid shots instead of working the offense inside out. On top of that giving him the ball to get Boston in foul trouble would be nice. Perkins is vulnerable to foul trouble and hasn't been in foul trouble all series. I am a Bulls fan and I watched as Bulls got Boston big men in foul trouble almost every game. Orlando has the talent and Howard is their best player. Give him the ball and let things develop, the scoring will come. I would love to have Howard as the center on the Bulls, I guarantee they would know how to use him.

Unruly Fan
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
...Its common sense to give your big man the ball in the post and set up for open shots as the defenders double team him. Turk, Lewis, alston and reddick are firing up these stupid shots instead of working the offense inside out. On top of that giving him the ball to get Boston in foul trouble would be nice. Perkins is vulnerable to foul trouble and hasn't been in foul trouble all series. I am a Bulls fan and I watched as Bulls got Boston big men in foul trouble almost every game. Orlando has the talent and Howard is their best player. Give him the ball and let things develop, the scoring will come...
I think you hit the nail on the head there my friend.

Orlando's offence looked terribly unorganized in game 5. Harldy any flow what so ever. BEST plan IS to work around DHow, inside out.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Are you people serious? This is ridiculous how you people are bad mouthing Dwight's offensive game. Saying he only gets garbage points and points from good assists?? Come on...he's not an all-star every season for no reason. Stan and the rest of the magic players don't think on the court. Its common sense to give your big man the ball in the post and set up for open shots as the defenders double team him. Turk, Lewis, alston and reddick are firing up these stupid shots instead of working the offense inside out. On top of that giving him the ball to get Boston in foul trouble would be nice. Perkins is vulnerable to foul trouble and hasn't been in foul trouble all series. I am a Bulls fan and I watched as Bulls got Boston big men in foul trouble almost every game. Orlando has the talent and Howard is their best player. Give him the ball and let things develop, the scoring will come. I would love to have Howard as the center on the Bulls, I guarantee they would know how to use him.

I watched probably all but 10-15 of the Magic games this year. I went to 13 of them. I've seen enough Dwight. The Magic, prior to this year (kinda), get no exposure. All you see are the highlights...the dunks...the good plays. You rarely see the bad. It is common sense to give your big man the ball...if he can score with it. Dwight can obviously score...scoring 21 a game is no fluke. But he's not a go-to scorer. There's a difference. Yes, he should get the ball more...early on in the games. But no, he shouldn't get it late in close games. I've seen him turn it over too much. I've seen him put up too many bricks. I've seen him refuse to pass. When he gets the ball, it's one on 5. If he would ever pass the ball, would not take horrible shots, and not turn it over 50% of the time I'd have no problem giving him the ball. Until then, I'd rather live and die by Shard and Hedo.

Yes...the Magic put up too many bricks late in the game. As a Magic fan, I'd rather that then force feed it to Dwight. He isn't good enough yet to carry a team offensively. Not even close.

Even in this series, when he has gotten the ball...he's been awful. All his points yesterday were off of broken plays. Watch the replay. Everytime he tried to make a move, he stunk. Perkins is owning him defensively. Hedo and Shard are still much better options than Dwight. Howard is not a go-to scorer. End of story. If you think otherwise, you are crazy. Get Dwight the ball early on, but late in the game, don't force feed it to him.

Chronz
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Dwight needs to get the ball, at some point hes eventually going to have to learn how to control a game offensively. Shaq went through a crash course his rookie season, team triple teamed him from day 1 because he atleast had some footwork but his rookie year was pretty much like Dwight is now. Shaq was turnover happy with little else but a dunk as a go to move. He learned and improved and within a year was one of the most dominant offensive forces the league has ever witnessed. Dwight will probably get exposed, but thats the only way he can go back, watch film, and practice his counter moves. Its how Yao became a beast.

On a similar note, Dwight has a decent face up game but Perk is getting away with alot of contact when he tries to blow by him. I think going to Big Baby or Perkins in the post against Dwight has been a better option than vice versa.

IversonIsKrazy
05-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Finally. U gotta give Dwight the ball EVERY half-court possesion. EVERY time u dont run, u HAVE TO give the ball to Dwight. They need a new coach. Simple as that...

Trouble87
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
bad timing and wrong place to discuss problems with the coach and his decesions...

I don't know why I expected more from Dwight but it doesn't surprise me, he's young and this was just a mistake on his part

LeonFSU
05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't think the Magic need to get Dwight the ball in the post more, if at all. But they do need to get him involved offensively in situations that take advantage of his superior speed, such as on fast breaks and in pick-and-rolls. The Magic's main problem is SVG has proved Shaq right by fielding a team that can't execute in the 4th quarter to get good shots and folds under pressure. He continues to rely on Turkoglu playing PG, which needs to be a thing of the past.

The Magic need to put the ball in Courtney Lee's hands as their primary ball handler and involve Lewis more. The only lineup the Magic should use in the 4th to finish games is Lee/Pietrus/Turkoglu/Lewis/Howard. SVG is an idiot for keeping Redick on Ray Allen for so long. Lee and Pietrus are the Magic's best perimeter defenders and its not even close, yet SVG didn't have either in the game when Boston was making a run.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
SVG is an idiot for keeping Redick on Ray Allen for so long. Lee and Pietrus are the Magic's best perimeter defenders and its not even close, yet SVG didn't have either in the game when Boston was making a run.

Redick has done an amazing job on Ray. SVG brings Lee or Pietrus in to stop House, which is the right call too. I like his usage of those three. Redick can keep with Ray. I love watching them run around screens all day long. JJ has only allowed a handful of decent shots for Ray. His defense on Ray is not a problem. Ask anyone who's watched the series. I hate JJ...and would rather see Lee play in a heartbeat, but JJ has contained Ray Ray. Just look at his 35% FG and 20% 3PT%. Don't hate SVG for playing Redick...especially using defense as the problem. JJ's problem has been on offense.

bostncelts34
05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Also have to give some credit to Perk, hes playing great d on howard.

Kakaroach
05-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Good on ya Dwight. Finally standing up for his superstar status and what everyone was talking about all season long: him not getting the ball in the 4th quarter.

Joshtd1
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Not sure how he "found a pair" since he decided to demand the ball after the game is over, and not during the game.

Jahari Kavi
05-14-2009, 02:27 AM
just now watching this....I totally agree with Dwight...I was wondering what the hell SVG was thinking last night.

Joshtd1
05-14-2009, 02:28 AM
just now watching this....I totally agree with Dwight...I was wondering what the hell SVG was thinking last night.

Im sure SVG was thinking he wanted the ball in his best ballhandlers/go to guys who can score the ball on a regular basis, and create for other people..

Punkindrublic03
05-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Magic should be given the ball to Rashard... no body can D him up on the Celtics.... Plus Rashard has a better post game than Dwight. Dwight is only one dementional down in the post while rashard can take you off the dribble, post you up, hit a J, or go to the hole. Dwight just jumps really high

gauth25
05-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Dwight needs to get the ball, at some point hes eventually going to have to learn how to control a game offensively. Shaq went through a crash course his rookie season, team triple teamed him from day 1 because he atleast had some footwork but his rookie year was pretty much like Dwight is now. Shaq was turnover happy with little else but a dunk as a go to move. He learned and improved and within a year was one of the most dominant offensive forces the league has ever witnessed. Dwight will probably get exposed, but thats the only way he can go back, watch film, and practice his counter moves. Its how Yao became a beast.

On a similar note, Dwight has a decent face up game but Perk is getting away with alot of contact when he tries to blow by him. I think going to Big Baby or Perkins in the post against Dwight has been a better option than vice versa.

Nice Sig buddy. Pretty sure the reason Kobe didn't bother with this situation was because he already had a technical foul so I'd imagine that was a smart move on his part.

KG2TB
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Dwight needs to concentrate on defense. He shot some of the ugliest shots I've seen last game. It seems like he got frustrated and lazy at the end of the game because he wasn't getting his precious touches in which in all honestly, he probably wouldn't have done much with them. Unless he gets great position down lay, he's just not effective. He wasn't getting good position early in the game so SVG ran some high pick and rolls. That's actually a pretty good job of coaching. You have to make adjustments. The problem was that the pick and rolls weren't working either. Dwight really needs to work on his post game this off-season.