PDA

View Full Version : Its the coaching!!!

PulpFiction
05-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Look at how animated Glen Doc Rivers is ... he walks on the court and they dont even call him for a TECH!!! Van Gundy isnt bad ... he just needs blow his stack, Emotion!!! The coaching is the difference ... we actually play better when there are suspensions!!! 1st put a body on that chubby baby guy ... say Gortat could contain him, live by the 3 die by the three ... no one absolutely no one is following their shot after they chuck a three, there is no rebounding support for DWIGHT (he needs help!) and we need to start to trap them and figure out how to take their six man out "Doc Rivers!!!" that has been the difference!!!

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
dwight finnaly grew a pair and called out svg for 1 touch in the 4th quarter and the lack of offense ran thru him unlike the reg season where we won 59 games

sNaKeS
05-13-2009, 12:40 PM
dwight finnaly grew a pair and called out svg for 1 touch in the 4th quarter and the lack of offense ran thru him unlike the reg season where we won 59 games

No offense to dwight or anything, but this series the offense shouldn't be running through him it should be through Rashard Lewis! I honestly thought last night that lewis would go for 50 with how he controlled the first quarter, then dumbass svg puts him on the bench for most of the second quarter! The celtics have no answer for lewis and he should be scoring at will on this team, not by shooting 3's but driving to the lane. Big baby and Scalabrine are too damn slow to guard him.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
No offense to dwight or anything, but this series the offense shouldn't be running through him it should be through Rashard Lewis! I honestly thought last night that lewis would go for 50 with how he controlled the first quarter, then dumbass svg puts him on the bench for most of the second quarter! The celtics have no answer for lewis and he should be scoring at will on this team, not by shooting 3's but driving to the lane. Big baby and Scalabrine are too damn slow to guard him.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Shard was so hot early on, then disappeared. He can take his man to the hoop every time. I want to see him get the majority of the touches tomorrow night...definitely not Dwight.

Our best games of the playoffs have been when either Dwight didn't play, or he takes less than 10 shots (our two wins this series he shot 11 times total). Shard and Hedo (even though he hasn't had his magical touch) need to be the offense, or we're done.

cjetswin71
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
SVG is a horrible coach, no professional team in the playoffs with several time outs should lose a 14 point lead with 6 minutes to go. Shaq is looking more and more like a genius than a crybaby with the comments he made about SVG. Let's be honest, would Pat Riley lose that game last night or the previous game with Big Baby hitting the game winner? Better yet would Jeff VG lose that game or the previous one? The answer is a resounding NO! First, why would you have DHoward on the court when the other team is over the limit and down by three or two for that matter, that is DHoward's krypotnite, a free throw. However, that is just the beginning, then he has Howard miss the second free throw on purpose after he HITS THE FIRST ONE giving his team only one opportunity to get the ball back as opposed to letting DHoward shoot the free throw and putting the pressure back on the Celtics free throw shooters. This is common sense. I can't blame him for his substitution patterns if that is what he was doing all year, but common sense says stay with the hot hand in crucial games. DHoward sat the whole 4 quarter in game 1 with foul trouble I believe. Now here is the bigger issue as the coach. Your star player has questioned your substitution patterns. You have taken the blame for a last second missed defensive assignment. The last three possesions after losing a 14 point lead and calling timeouts were a Rashard lewis brick a Rafer Alston heave and a Hedou soft layup attempt. In crunch time in game six how many players are going to listen to SVG? None!!!! Win or lose a coaching change must be made. :speechless:

cjetswin71
05-13-2009, 02:00 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Shard was so hot early on, then disappeared. He can take his man to the hoop every time. I want to see him get the majority of the touches tomorrow night...definitely not Dwight.

Our best games of the playoffs have been when either Dwight didn't play, or he takes less than 10 shots (our two wins this series he shot 11 times total). Shard and Hedo (even though he hasn't had his magical touch) need to be the offense, or we're done.

Guys the reason Rashard and Hedo get those open looks and those one on ones against Big Baby and company is because of DHowards early touches and his offensive capabilities. So the offense must go through DHoward to open up the perimeter and lanes. If not then DHoward is no better than ZaZa Pachullia, a big stiff who takes up space. DHoward's offensive prowess creates opportunties for your soft perimeter players.

WestCoastSportz
05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Lets face it, Dwight Howard isn't Tim Duncan when it comes to offense. Howard still relies only on his athleticism to score on dunks. He's not a guy that is going to wow you with fancy footwork with a nice drop step to a left handed baby hook. The offense shouldn't run through him. Should he get more touches? Absolutely! But when you're offensively limited, then there is only so much you can do. I'm not saying that he won't be an offensive juggernaut sometime in the near future, but he isn't one now.

Why blame the coach? The coach isn't on the court passing the ball. Sure Doc Rivers blows his stack to get his team to do things, but have you ever watched Phil Jackson who hardly ever gets up off his seat? Which is the better coach of those two?

sNaKeS
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Guys the reason Rashard and Hedo get those open looks and those one on ones against Big Baby and company is because of DHowards early touches and his offensive capabilities. So the offense must go through DHoward to open up the perimeter and lanes. If not then DHoward is no better than ZaZa Pachullia, a big stiff who takes up space. DHoward's offensive prowess creates opportunties for your soft perimeter players.

Yea but you also have to credit the three point threats these guys are. The defense has to press up on them at the 3 point line or they have a damn good chance of draining those, well at least they did have a good chance of draining them up until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter :mad:. But otherwise even if they command the double or the defense collapses on them, then dwight will be the cleanup man and do what he does best, grab the offensive rebound and throw it down!

macc
05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Well I agree and disagree w/ some of the points made. Granted I agree that Howard is limited offensivly, but that doesn't mean he's not affective on offense. Remember he avg 20+ points a game with his "limited" offensive skill set. Its just we need to get him the ball when he's deep in the paint. I watched Shaq's entire career and Howard is the same way in this sense that if you don't get him the ball deep it's prob not going to go in. But you hit him deep and noone is gonna stop him, bottom line. Hense the reason he shoots a top 5 fg% in the league. With that being said I don't think he's needs to do the load of the scoring, we are fortunate to have alot of players who can score 20 + any given night and actually we have had our best nights where Howard only scored 12-17 pts in the game.

What we need to do is push the tempo, the Magic know this, they address it, but when they get big leads they forget about it. We've lost soooo many big leads its redicuious, Stan puts in AJ which I think he does a fine job but Stan will give him to many min. Esp in the 4th Quarter, normally substitues him in the 3rd around the 4 min mark and he plays till about the 5-6 min mark in the 4th. Then he puts Rafer back in, at that point the quarter is past it's half way point and Rafer has to get a feel for the tempo again. If you give Rafer more min, that gives the Magic alot more fast paced action which to me is where I think we're at our best. If we had a coach like D ' Antone I think we would be even better off. We have the players who can run the floor, esp Dwight Howard, what center could keep up with him all game? If we pushed the pace like Phoenix does Howard would be getting alot more easy layups and dunks.

In any case we get a big lead, then slow down our pace trying to run out the clock, then we use the entire shot clock and since our peremeter guys don't like to create their own shot they pass it back to Alston with about 5 sec left on the shot clock and leave it to him to jack up a forced 3. If we would just stay loose and play fast I think we would be blowing out teams and actually keeping leads...

But I'm just a fan what do I know.

ragee
05-13-2009, 03:29 PM
SVG is a horrible coach, no professional team in the playoffs with several time outs should lose a 14 point lead with 6 minutes to go. Shaq is looking more and more like a genius than a crybaby with the comments he made about SVG. Let's be honest, would Pat Riley lose that game last night or the previous game with Big Baby hitting the game winner? Better yet would Jeff VG lose that game or the previous one? The answer is a resounding NO! First, why would you have DHoward on the court when the other team is over the limit and down by three or two for that matter, that is DHoward's krypotnite, a free throw. However, that is just the beginning, then he has Howard miss the second free throw on purpose after he HITS THE FIRST ONE giving his team only one opportunity to get the ball back as opposed to letting DHoward shoot the free throw and putting the pressure back on the Celtics free throw shooters. This is common sense. I can't blame him for his substitution patterns if that is what he was doing all year, but common sense says stay with the hot hand in crucial games. DHoward sat the whole 4 quarter in game 1 with foul trouble I believe. Now here is the bigger issue as the coach. Your star player has questioned your substitution patterns. You have taken the blame for a last second missed defensive assignment. The last three possesions after losing a 14 point lead and calling timeouts were a Rashard lewis brick a Rafer Alston heave and a Hedou soft layup attempt. In crunch time in game six how many players are going to listen to SVG? None!!!! Win or lose a coaching change must be made. :speechless:

I do think SVG was awful last night... However, those two things you are pointing out has no bearing on him, not being a good coach... He put Dwight Howard in the court for rebounding purposes... We all know he is the best offensive rebounder and the Magic had a lot of missed open 3s last night... So he is just making sure that if we were to get a shot off and miss, we still have a chance of getting the ball back... Next, making Dwight miss was neither a great play nor a bad play... He took the risk... Dwight actually had a chance to grab it... why did he took the risk? Because, putting the pressure on the celtics by putting them in the free throw line was not really working... Ray-ray, Big baby and I think House (I am not sure) were the players who got on the line in the 4th quarter... No one missed... Another reason why he did this was because the have no time outs left... So rather than going for a half court lob, he went for a put back dunk...

cjetswin71
05-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Ragee, you are cutting down your opportunties relying on a perfect miss and rebound put back dunk, as opposed to being down by one if he hits the free throw and immediately fouling on the inbounds play. I believe there was 4.6 seconds left in the game you foul, 6 tenths of a second come off the clock you have 4 seconds for a long pass and even if you are down by three you can attempt a shot and maybe get fouled because Boston would be attempting to foul and if you can get the shot off you have three free throws. No disrespect it's common sense to me. Also if Dhoward is in for rebounding purposes he should have set a screen at the top of the key and headed for the paint, I would have not had him near the ball in that situation. I know they had no more timeouts and time was running out but execution is critical.

rapjuicer06
05-13-2009, 08:51 PM
when they get a big lead and try running the clock down, thats when you go down low to howard. thats when you get him touches. every possession in the last 5 min. should have went through him. or better yet, wtf are we slowing down for anyways? put the peddal to the metal and keep at it. who cares if you win by 20 or 30? why are we soooo oppossed to blowing someone out? its all coaching, gundy's a *****, who does panic and doesn't know what to do to close a team out

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Lets face it, Dwight Howard isn't Tim Duncan when it comes to offense. Howard still relies only on his athleticism to score on dunks. He's not a guy that is going to wow you with fancy footwork with a nice drop step to a left handed baby hook. The offense shouldn't run through him. Should he get more touches? Absolutely! But when you're offensively limited, then there is only so much you can do. I'm not saying that he won't be an offensive juggernaut sometime in the near future, but he isn't one now.

Why blame the coach? The coach isn't on the court passing the ball. Sure Doc Rivers blows his stack to get his team to do things, but have you ever watched Phil Jackson who hardly ever gets up off his seat? Which is the better coach of those two?

phil jackson is better but the most overrated coach in sports history. he never built a team, never drafted any good players,never coached up/him raise a player. had 3 of the best players of all time and pippen's in there too

PennyMy#1
05-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I agree with Phil Jackson. Overrated. But a winner. I just think IN the playoffs is a very ****ed time to discuss or bash the coach ... But the team, seems to be very unhappy with SVG, I don't see him in Orlando next season ...

Sandman
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
blah blah we've already run Doc Rivers out of town.

a lot of blame belongs on SVG.

I don't think it'll be too long before Dwight really takes control of the team and steps up to that next level. Had he went to college, this would be his rookie season.

ManRam
05-14-2009, 06:30 PM
blah blah we've already run Doc Rivers out of town.

a lot of blame belongs on SVG.

I don't think it'll be too long before Dwight really takes control of the team and steps up to that next level. Had he went to college, this would be his rookie season.

If he went to college, this would be his fourth year. He wouldn't stay longer than one year.

A lot of blame belongs on SVG, but there is more than enough blame to spread around. I don't think anyone is blame-free for these collapses. I put just as much blame on SVG as I do Rafer, Dwight, Hedo, the SGs and Rashard. They've all folded and choked. Dwight needs to stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Demand the ball on the court. Show that you deserve it, and when he gets it, start making good shots. Rafer needs to start penetrating to create, and stop jacking up threes. Hedo needs to start making 4th quarter shots, or at least create ones for the other guys. The SGs need to continue to play great defense, but start making their shots too. And Shard needs to demand the ball too in the 4th quarter. He's been our best offensive player without a doubt.

It's all mental. The small things are killing us. It's as much the players' fault as it is the coaches. All we needed two nights ago was one more basket in the 4th. That's the players' fault.

And is this thread really questioning SVG's emotion?!?! Stan lacks a lot of things, but emotion is not one of them.

Sandman
05-14-2009, 09:48 PM
If he went to college, this would be his fourth year. He wouldn't stay longer than one year.
Sure, that's just the state of the NCAA right now.

Other posters are trying to compare him to Olajuwon or Shaq, who spent 4 and 3 seasons in the NCAA.

PennyMy#1
05-15-2009, 05:21 AM
@ManRamForPrez you can't blame Courtney Lee for anything, as you said you blame our SG's. Lee is playing amazing ... Turk is not stepping up and takes way to crazy shots, ok. Shard is no real force, ok. I just hope something will kick this teams *** pretty soon, so that we finally can see their regular season basketball, but just on playoff-level.

ManRam
05-15-2009, 10:44 AM
@ManRamForPrez you can't blame Courtney Lee for anything, as you said you blame our SG's. Lee is playing amazing ... Turk is not stepping up and takes way to crazy shots, ok. Shard is no real force, ok. I just hope something will kick this teams *** pretty soon, so that we finally can see their regular season basketball, but just on playoff-level.

You can't blame just the worst player. It's a team game.Lee gets very little blame, if any t all...which is why I didn't name him. Lee is playing good basketball. He's just floating along. I love Lee, and think he has been solid in his limited minutes. He's been a shutdown defender. All I said is that he and JJ and Pietrus have to keep playing great defense, which they have, and make the shots that they should make. I didn't call Lee out, I didn't even name him.

Shard is a force. He's been a force this whole series. He's keeping us in games offensively. He can take whoever is guarding him to the rim every time, and if not, he is a deadly three point shooter. He's our best offense right now and by far the most consistent offensive player. Just look at his series numbers. They're great.

Hedo didn't take bad shots last night, he just missed them. He missed a few layups, some open threes, and some open jumpers. He didn't force shots up last night. He has in the past, but not last night. Oh yeah, and he's still our most clutch player. Remember the big three he hit last night? He'll start hitting the open shots.

We were getting great shots in the first half, we were just missing. Can't blame anyone for that but the shooters...and you can't give up on them either (except for JJ)...as evident by Hedo's big shot.