PDA

View Full Version : Beltran was Out

lavell12
05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
I know the pen blew the game and the Braves had other chances but the fact remains that the Mets should have never tied the game. When Carlos Beltran (the tying run) stole third base Chipper's glove was at the base and hit Carlos' leg before Beltran reached the base.

Here is what Chipper has to say:
“I never had a guy slide into my glove and be safe,” Jones said, with a tone of disgust. “That’s the whole game…. We played a perfect game, and got it taken away from us.”

Good for Chipper, I'm so tired of the umpires and refs in other sports supporting the NY teams. Not to mention the announcers.

Vinny642
05-13-2009, 02:49 AM
We didnt play a perfect game, but we would've won if they called that.

METS4LIFE1988
05-13-2009, 03:37 AM
And Wright was safe in the fifth inning. :shrug:

Wrigheyes4MVP
05-13-2009, 05:22 AM
I know the pen blew the game and the Braves had other chances but the fact remains that the Mets should have never tied the game. When Carlos Beltran (the tying run) stole third base Chipper's glove was at the base and hit Carlos' leg before Beltran reached the base.

Here is what Chipper has to say:
“I never had a guy slide into my glove and be safe,” Jones said, with a tone of disgust. “That’s the whole game…. We played a perfect game, and got it taken away from us.”

Good for Chipper, I'm so tired of the umpires and refs in other sports supporting the NY teams. Not to mention the announcers.

You dont know what your talking about...the ump just missed the call. It was a close call and he missed it. Thats baseball...live with it.

k_rock923
05-13-2009, 07:30 AM
I actually agree, to some degree. Beltran could have and maybe even should have been called out. But, you guys did walk in the winning run, which should never happen.

Yea, you probably got hosed on Beltran's steal, but ball four cost you the game, not that call.

Every team has calls go their way and not go their way. We've certainly been on the short end plenty of times this season, and I'd be willing to bet that you've had them go your way a few times. We just tend to remember the times we don't get them.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 07:55 AM

No he wasn't. That's what I thought at first, but replays showed he never touched 2nd. The hand he reached for 2nd with went right into Kelly Johnson's foot.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 07:58 AM
I actually agree, to some degree. Beltran could have and maybe even should have been called out. But, you guys did walk in the winning run, which should never happen.

Yea, you probably got hosed on Beltran's steal, but ball four cost you the game, not that call.

Every team has calls go their way and not go their way. We've certainly been on the short end plenty of times this season, and I'd be willing to bet that you've had them go your way a few times. We just tend to remember the times we don't get them.

That call definitely lost us the game. If he's called out as he should've been, he can't score the tying run and it would've been 2 outs with no one on. No doubt the walking in of a run contributed to it, but if Beltran is called out, we never even get to the 10th inning for Bennett to walk him in.

I don't have a huge problem with missed calls overall because most of them are tough. But last night's call was as easy as a close play gets, plus it was in a crucial part of the game. You just can't blow that call in the bottom of the 9th in a 1-run game.

littleknighty
05-13-2009, 08:34 AM
There will be a game later in the year where the Braves win on a bad call. These things seem to even out over the course of a year. Thats a tough loss because its the Mets but That call is just baseball.

lavell12
05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Also that pitch to end the game was a strike.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
There will be a game later in the year where the Braves win on a bad call. These things seem to even out over the course of a year. Thats a tough loss because its the Mets but That call is just baseball.

Hopefully we beat the Mets on a bad call later this year. That's what hurts more than anything, that we lost on a bad call to a division rival who also happens to be in 1st place.

iamaj
05-13-2009, 09:55 AM
If the roles were reversed and it had been Wright applying the tag to Schafer, he's called out because their golden boy 3B is God's gift to baseball as his unearned Gold Glove will tell you. Seriously, the guy was so good batting that the media just assumed he had to be a good fielder? Know it's off-topic, but still pisses me off.

sNaKeS
05-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Don't get too mad over one play in one game this early in the season. Look at the braves recently, they've won 5 of their last 7 and mccann and chipper are back from injury with mccann looking as good as ever. It's still a long season, don't get pent up over one game and besides they are only 2.5 games out of first place with an under .500 record!

jmtapia
05-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Braves deserved to lose that game... giviing up leads like the one the Braves gave up is unexpectable...

nps6724
05-13-2009, 10:51 AM
If he's out, we don't give up the lead. The only unacceptable part was losing due to a single and 3 walks.

ATLKoos16
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
We didnt play a perfect game, but we would've won if they called that.

It wasn't a perfect game but up until that point it was close to it. We had already used three of our four best pitchers out of the pen and Soriano wasn't available after working so many days straight. Bobby had no choice but to use Jeff Bennett which i personally don't think is ever a safe choice.

iamaj
05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I think that's the exact reason why we should be mad. Yes, we're only 2.5 out, but I don't think that the Phils, Mets, and Marlins will continue to post records like these. Two of the three, maybe (my bet's on the Mets and Marlins to continue with futility and the Phillies to get better, if only one of those teams gets better), but all three teams will not play this poorly all season. If the Braves can't win while these teams are playing poorly, then how likely are we to beat them when one (maybe all) of them improve? I highly doubt the wild card is coming out of the NL East this year, so it really stings to lose games like this.

jmtapia
05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
^^^true his luck ran out last night...

atl_braves_fan
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
You dont know what your talking about...the ump just missed the call. It was a close call and he missed it. Thats baseball...live with it.

It actually wasn't that close of a call. It was a huge mistake in a crucial time in the game -- one that an MLB Umpire should never have missed. I agree that's baseball, but this was a huge miss and Mets fans should be a little more gracious about it -- they should have lost that game.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
It actually wasn't that close of a call. It was a huge mistake in a crucial time in the game -- one that an MLB Umpire should never have missed. I agree that's baseball, but this was a huge miss and Mets fans should be a little more gracious about it -- they should have lost that game.

You expect Met fans to be gracious? :rolleyes:

atl_braves_fan
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM

No he wasn't. Your own announcers admitted that he slid into KJ's foot instead of the bag. They even went on for a couple of minutes about how the head first slide always causes runners to make mistakes when stealing second.

Again, missed calls happen, but you are in denial if you think that the Braves shouldn't have won that game last night.

atl_braves_fan
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
You expect Met fans to be gracious? :rolleyes:

I didn't say that I expect it ... I just said that they should be.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 11:36 AM
There's a lot of things their fans SHOULD be: bathed, spayed, neutered, sobered up, the list goes on and on and on. :D

baseballislife7
05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
He was OUT, end of story, 2 outs nobody on and Braves were supposed to win. The problem is though, that Atlanta doesn't seem to get any breaks anymore. Not just that play, but how about top 8, BMac doubles to left, if it bounces and hits the fence we score more than 1 run, but it bounced into the stands. That call though in the 9th was an easier call in my mind than Wright's caught stealing in the 5th. I for one though he was safe, until the replay shows he never made it to the bag and that was what he was explaining to Manuel. Shows you how good some umpires in the league are. Terrible job on the 3rd base ump though, I would like to hear his response. I heard what the guys on the NY Mets channel said, they said he was out. Having problems w/some channels, only reason I was watching that channel.

jmtapia
05-13-2009, 12:11 PM
^^^ ask Jose Reyes if he believes that.... he basically gave up the game with his Error on Monday. Baseball is a long season and breaks go against you and for you...

iamaj
05-13-2009, 12:12 PM
There's a lot of things their fans SHOULD be: bathed, spayed, neutered, sobered up, the list goes on and on and on. :D

LOL, agreed

atl_braves_fan
05-13-2009, 12:39 PM
^^^ ask Jose Reyes if he believes that.... he basically gave up the game with his Error on Monday. Baseball is a long season and breaks go against you and for you...

I am not sure if this is how you meant this, but an error by a player is completely different than an error by an Ump.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I think he meant in reference to us not getting any breaks.

baseballislife7
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
O agree a losing b/c a player makes an error is one thing. We will just talk about how bad their defense is, but when umpires start blowing games is a little bit of a different thing.

THE_FLASH_21
05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Braves deserved to lose that game... giviing up leads like the one the Braves gave up is unexpectable...

Thank u... JMT.. The Braves should have won that game. No Excuses!! Our offense needs to score more runs... That sucks for JJ he's pitching his *** off... It's a shame we can't score more and hold a lead for him.

Chipper did get him out. The blue missed it.. Whatever!

leftie5
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
BMac definitely gunned out Beltran at 3rd, but the ump missed it. We still should have closed out the game, but when Bennett comes in you never know what you are going to get. Oh well, we have to move on and take care of business today.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
BMac definitely gunned out Beltran at 3rd, but the ump missed it. We still should have closed out the game, but when Bennett comes in you never know what you are going to get. Oh well, we have to move on and take care of business today.

When the ump gives you 3rd base for free and there's less than 2 outs, any decent flyball ties the game. The ump made it where Gonzo HAD to K whoever was up to have a chance at finishing it. Despite what our hitters show, it's pretty easy to score a runner from 3rd with less than 2 outs.

jetsfan28
05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Simply put, the ump didn't make a fist, he moved his arms horizontally with open hands. That makes him safe in my book. It was a bad call, but it WAS the call, and bad calls happen, teams need to overcome that.

Umpires, like players (you should NEVER give up a walk off walk), make mistakes, and players need to move on and overcome them.

And for the record, I am in no way backing up the call, it was awful. But once the call is made, it's made, and they still had plenty of opportunity to overcome it.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
A blown call at 1st with no one on is different from a blown call at 3rd with less than 2 outs. You still have to work to score a guy from 1st. A guy from 3rd can score much easier. Basically what you're saying is Gonzo should've found a way to get an out that wouldn't have allowed Beltran to score. So he had to make the batter ground out to 3rd or the pitcher, strike him out, or pop out somewhere. That's a tall task. Gonzo was penalized for recording an out because an ump didn't open his eyes.

atl_braves_fan
05-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Simply put, the ump didn't make a fist, he moved his arms horizontally with open hands. That makes him safe in my book. It was a bad call, but it WAS the call, and bad calls happen, teams need to overcome that.

Umpires, like players (you should NEVER give up a walk off walk), make mistakes, and players need to move on and overcome them.

And for the record, I am in no way backing up the call, it was awful. But once the call is made, it's made, and they still had plenty of opportunity to overcome it.

If that is how you feel, then "your book" is just as wrong as the umpire's call. I agree that players should typically overcome calls, but when it happens in the bottom of the ninth, I am not sure that they had "plenty of opportunity to overcome it."

He was not safe, he was mistakenly called safe by an umpire that was in bad position. That's like saying that Gaylord Perry didn't load up the baseball because an umpire called it a strike. Your statement is absolutely absurd. Take your win that was gift-wrapped for you and go back to your forum.

ESPNisBiased
05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Calls are going to be blown. That is why instant replay has been installed in sports. Use it for game changing decisions, not just questionable home runs.

What I want to know is what the umpire has said since seeing he was wrong?

nps6724
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
What I want to know is what the umpire has said since seeing he was wrong?

Well, I know he threw Infante out of the game after the game was over (what good does that do and how is that even possible?) because Omar told him he was wrong.

TomahawkChopper
05-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Look you can say the Braves could of still won the game after call was made and they didnt.

But anyone saying that the ump didnt steal that game from is flat out wrong. The call was obvious, even NY brodcasters said it was and showed multiple times with their Coors Lite replay.

The fact of the matter is if the ump gets the call right (which its his job to do) the game is over. There would be 2 outs no runners on and a 0-2 count to the batter. With the right call the Braves win the game, and there is no one who can argue that point. So since we did not win the game no matter how the final run was scored a win was stolen from us.

And all the Mets fans coming in here to justify the call are all hypocrits because they would be the same ones *****ing and moaning if the shoe was on the other foot.

Slash
05-14-2009, 04:29 PM

No team "deserves" to lose a game. The score is what counts.

As others have said, he was out and the play cost us the game. Saying the walk cost us the game is bs. Extending the inning cost us the game. But that is baseball and I'd rather take the occasional blown call that have replay.

Also, Wright was out. The second baseman was blocking the bag with his foot and Wright slid into the guy's foot and not the bag.

NBA_Starter
05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I wasn't really mad at the team, I was mad at the 3rd base ump but I do realize it is a part of the game, most of my anger went to Jeff Bennett for walking in the winning run!