PDA

View Full Version : Will Stan Van Gundy be fired?

twoearl
05-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Mark my words!!!! Stan will be fired or resign from his Job after the Celtics beat them in either game 6 or 7. First Shaq and back up center dude publicly criticize him now his Franchise Player has called him out after a game 5 loss where he only got 10 shots. The Magic have a Finals worthy team but Stan can and will not get them over the hump. Shaq was exactly right about Stan's coaching style...

theuuord
05-13-2009, 02:00 AM
dude, seriously, change the topic title NOW.

{}
05-13-2009, 02:02 AM
dude, seriously, change the topic title NOW.

LOL, no kidding. After what happened to Carl Landry, my first thought was SVG got killed after the game or something.

superkegger
05-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Stan Van Gundy is not dead.

Teeboy1487
05-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Please change the title because it is very misleading. I agree with you though. I think stan van gundy is not a good fit for the magic.

MoBASS
05-13-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm a fan of SVG but was really disappointed with his coaching tonight. I feel like he let his team down, to the point that the relationship with his places is past the point of recovery.

His players don't seem to respect him, which was really evident when they didn't even know what to do on that last play with 5 seconds left (the inbounds to Dwight... WTF).

- allowed his guys to lose track of the game plan. Dwight didn't touch the ball for a good 7-8 minute span in the 4th

- why was Dwight in the game when you know the Celtics are gonna foul?

- was there even a play drawn up with 5 seconds left?

Overall I'll be surprised if SVG is still the coach of the Magic at the end of next season.

DenButsu
05-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Thread title changed, 2nd SVG thread merged.

Please DO NOT MAKE MISLEADING THREAD TITLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

DreamShaker
05-13-2009, 02:13 AM
He seems like one of those coaches that builds a team and then gets fired and has a big time coach come in and win a championship....

Sandman
05-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Is Dwight going to pull a Shaq? ... and run SVG the f out of town?

Patrick Ewing is ITCHING

DreamShaker
05-13-2009, 02:16 AM

Patrick Ewing is ITCHING

Yeah Ewing would love to take over...

IRUAM #21
05-13-2009, 02:26 AM
He seems like one of those coaches that builds a team and then gets fired and has a big time coach come in and win a championship....

:rolleyes:

Nickg=DaFuture
05-13-2009, 02:33 AM
SVG is a good coach but he panics way 2 fast and his entire team takes on that same attitude down the stretch...even when Hedo made that game winner against philly he panicked and threw a crazy shot up...But Orlando fire Stan and call up his brother Jeff

DreamShaker
05-13-2009, 02:52 AM
:rolleyes:

What? That's exactly what happened in Miami...some coaches aren't bad coaches, they just aren't championship coaches.

Sandman
05-13-2009, 03:19 AM
You can get outmaneuvered in the post-season when a better coach still has good personnel.

Duncan = Donkey
05-13-2009, 06:29 AM
dwight howard should try and show up for a 4th quarter, and stop putting blame on his coach.

TheDiggler
05-13-2009, 08:26 AM
But SVG makes the whole team eff-in nervous with his sideline acting. Gortat told that in polish media too. If Magic get out of playoffs by the Celtics, Ewing should take that team over.

mackworth
05-13-2009, 08:34 AM
dwight howard should try and show up for a 4th quarter, and stop putting blame on his coach.

Seriously, he is blaming the coach. How about he just asks for the ball? You think Lebron, Kobe, Pierce, etc wait for the coach to call a play for them? Just demand the ball.

ewing
05-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Seriously, he is blaming the coach. How about he just asks for the ball? You think Lebron, Kobe, Pierce, etc wait for the coach to call a play for them? Just demand the ball.

because he has an awesome post/midrange game and his offensive isn't completely dependant on getting dunks of second chance opporuntities and dump offs after one of his skill players drives the ball. I not a big SVG fan but until Dwight Howard gets some offensive game and is capable of getting a decent look on his own he just needs to STFU

cmacmath
05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I was actually shocked when I woke up this morning and SVG was not fired over night...midway thru this series...

I honestly thought they would fire him and hire me so that we could beat Boston because I would actually give the ball to Dwight Howard and not have my WNBA players (hedo and lewis) tossing up ill advised 3's with a double digit lead in the 4th quarter...

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 10:53 AM

1 touch in the 4th quarter, 10 shot attempts in the game. sooooooooooooo what are you talking about

mackworth
05-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Donny Marshall on WEEI knows a bunch of Magic players. He basically just said they don't believe in him. This is basically what he said:

When they have time out, SVG tells them that they don't want to win and stuff like that. That stuff works in college. When you tell that to a player making 8 mil a year, that player says, "Yeah, ok, I guess I don't. I am going to go sit on a beach somewhere this summer and spend my money". Versus a coach like Doc who says, here is whats going wrong and here is how to fix it. what SVG does doesn't work in the NBA. They also said they love running with the ball, because SVG likes to call every play. When they run the ball, they can pretend to ignore him.

Haha!

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 10:57 AM

lol how bout you watch the game, he posts people up hands up asking for it and people just jack 3s. what do bron kobe and pierce etc have in common you obviously are blind to is that they're perimeter player and have handles and bring the ball up. the guy can demand all he want but they're not feeding the monster who lead them to 59 wins

mackworth
05-13-2009, 11:08 AM
lol how bout you watch the game, he posts people up hands up asking for it and people just jack 3s. what do bron kobe and pierce etc have in common you obviously are blind to is that they're perimeter player and have handles and bring the ball up. the guy can demand all he want but they're not feeding the monster who lead them to 59 wins

Another thing they have in common, they all have better post games than Howard. And when they want the ball, they take it.

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 11:09 AM
lol ya i cant wait to see dwight bring the ball up

Sandman
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
He only just turned 24.

Dwight needs to take the frustration at his coach and turn it into energy on the court. I don't think he needed to throw the coach under the bus on TV, but that could be a signal that Dwight is ready to take on more on the court.

Luv Da New Pack
05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
In all honesty, I really like Howard but he does need to work on his post game. When he does get the ball it seems like he's too anxious and throws up wild hook shots. C's don't really double him because Perkins just stays in front of him while he's rolling and knows he's really only got to defend him for 3 - 4 secs because Howard's going to roll and hook. They don't seem to do much post-repost for deeper position. Howard also doesn't head fake much (from what I've seen).

BIGLOUSTUD
05-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Um he would have love to sandman except one thing he didnt get the ball in the final 7 mins so he cant turn anything into energy. Look Dwights rite and for that matter so is Shaq, Stan is a shell of himself once the postseason starts hes just not a winner. D think that Dwights comments and these two bad loses just got stan the pink slip.

Sandman
05-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Did Dwight go to SVG and say get me the ball?

Yeah, Stan will be done if he doesn't win 2 straight. Dwight publicly called out the coach, he's done with. Plus if they lose again, SportsCenter is going to play the Shaq clip enough to panic the Magic anyway :).

Sandman
05-13-2009, 11:38 AM
In all honesty, I really like Howard but he does need to work on his post game. When he does get the ball it seems like he's too anxious and throws up wild hook shots. C's don't really double him because Perkins just stays in front of him while he's rolling and knows he's really only got to defend him for 3 - 4 secs because Howard's going to roll and hook. They don't seem to do much post-repost for deeper position. Howard also doesn't head fake much (from what I've seen).

If Dwight handled a little better and could pass the ball out....

:speechless:

KP had him tight. Dwight doesn't see D like that all of the time. I think that might have him more confident than he should be, or he doesn't have enough experience against guys that can play him well.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
No way he gets fired. They won 59 games. They made it out of the first round. They should have won this series. I know they didn't, and that's why he might get fired, but I blame Dwight, not having Jameer, and inexperience/mental weakness more than I blame SVG.

You all complain about Dwight getting too few shots. Look at what he's done with his shots. NOTHING. The two games the Magic won this series: Howard took a combined 11 shots. He's an offensive liability right now. He's a turnover waiting to happen, or because he wont ever pass the ball, he's a bad shot waiting to happen. He can't score unless he gets the ball under the basket.

I'd rather lose shooting threes then lose forcing the ball to Dwight. He's not our best offensive option.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Patrick Ewing is ITCHING

If Dwight had an ounce of Pat's offensive skill...SVG wouldn't have to even question giving Dwight the ball. But Howard doesn't, so I don't blame SVG not demanding the ball going to Dwight. Dwight needs to stop relying on athleticism and start dedicating the time towards developing some offensive skills...like Ewing. Otherwise, there's no reason for him to deserve even the consideration to get the ball late in games.

Sandman
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
You HAVE to get him the ball late in games. The Magic win and lose on the three point shot, because it comes down to hot and cold. When you have the lead late, you have to get the ball to the guy who shoots 57%.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
You HAVE to get him the ball late in games. The Magic win and lose on the three point shot, because it comes down to hot and cold. When you have the lead late, you have to get the ball to the guy who shoots 57%.

Have you watched this series. Dwight has put up some of the ugliest, least skilled shots I've ever seen. He has done NOTHING this series to warrant him demanding the ball. He's a 57% shooter because throughout the game he gets 5-8 dunks under the rim. When you force the ball into his hands, and force him to post up a player, or make a move, he is no more than a 30-40% shooter. He averages 4 points in the fourth quarter, shooting far less than his normal percentage, because when you force it to him you're giving it to a guy who is not an offensive force. Hedo and Shard at two elite fourth quarter players. Hedo been near the top in points per 4th quarter the last two years, and Rashard shoots above 60% in the fourth. Dwights the 3rd option in the 4th. I'd rather lose because Hedo and Shard go cold than watch them force the ball to Dwight "Turnover waiting to happen, 50% FT shooter, no touch" Howard.

Howard scores 7+ points in the first, 4 in the 2nd, 6 in the 3rd and 4 in the 4th. His lowest quarter FG% is the 4th. He has more turnovers in the 4th than any other quarter. He's best when the game is not on the line, and when he isn't the focal point and when he's just cleaning up after people.

Big Game Son
05-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Agreed, but he is still young and is dominant no matter what. Comes with time. I do think though that Orlando just doesnt have that flame under their bums. They shouldnt even b this tight with Boston seriously. I give credit to Boston for fighting and fighting, but man....no Garnett and Perkins hasnt played outstanding ball.....and you cant beat the Celt with full firepower?

Cavs wouldnt be doing this at all. It seems Orlando just cant take that jump to the 'elite' level.

Sandman
05-13-2009, 12:40 PM
KP has been giving him fits and he's been taking some nasty shots, but you still need to live and die by your star. If you don't give him the ball, he's never going to grow.

There's also no real excuse why DH is on the floor on that inbounds pass and he definitely shouldn't have gotten the ball.

what54!?
05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
no its not all his fault.

Sandman
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Thank you, what54!?

what54!?
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
no problem he may called some bad plays but its also the players fought they got lazy and couldn't excecute on offense

minervamob
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm a fan of SVG but was really disappointed with his coaching tonight. I feel like he let his team down, to the point that the relationship with his places is past the point of recovery.

His players don't seem to respect him, which was really evident when they didn't even know what to do on that last play with 5 seconds left (the inbounds to Dwight... WTF).

- allowed his guys to lose track of the game plan. Dwight didn't touch the ball for a good 7-8 minute span in the 4th

- why was Dwight in the game when you know the Celtics are gonna foul?

- was there even a play drawn up with 5 seconds left?

Overall I'll be surprised if SVG is still the coach of the Magic at the end of next season.

Exactly! They looked so pathetic the last two 4th qtrs. Is obvious he's not the guy to lead the magic to the finals. He wasn't their 1st choice in the 1st place. Who knows how Donovan would have done, but I guarantee it wouldn't have been this bad in those crucial moments.

IversonIsKrazy
05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
im not a magic fan, but i hope this is wut happens. Magic get a new coach. Dwight REALLY REALLY works and focuses on his offensive post up game and becomes that much better next year. I think he should really develop a baby hook. He would be unstoppable, power down his man, then do a bump, and hook. He needs a bit more offensive game. But still, 1 touch in the 4th, that BS. Magic have to pass to him almost every single time they DONT run-and-gun.