PDA

View Full Version : do you think basketball will ever reach the popularity of soccer

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
basketball is a growing sport...

soccer is the most popular sport on earth by a long shot...

so do you think basketball will ever reach the popularity of soccer? if so, how long...

soccer and bball i personally my two favorite sports...but i don't think bball will ever reach that level of popularity...

ink
05-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't think any sport will ever reach the worldwide popularity of soccer. Not a chance.

BALLER71
05-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Never will any sport reach soccer's popularity.

bal_ravens
05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Nope. I think baseball has a better chance.

tr4shb0t
05-12-2009, 09:34 PM
A lot of countries don't produce enough people who are tall enough to play basketball, so they don't take an interest in it.

Wilson
05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
It will take a long time if it ever does, but I think it's possible. That's why I want the NBA to expand into Europe more aggresively. It's obviously got some power in Spain, and some players have come out of France. If the NBA becomes a presence in those markets , then it will be much easier to grow through the rest of Europe.

How about some actual competition between the European champs and the NBA champs? That can only increase the popularity of the league outside of the States. Basketball is such an entertaining, fast sport that it's easy to get people interested in games, you just need to make it available to people.

It also couldn't hurt to try and make the league more available in Africa...

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:35 PM

basketball is played in many more countries than baseball is...

juggla53
05-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah soccer is huge world wide, despite the fact that nobody in america really gives a **** about it

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:36 PM
A lot of countries don't produce enough people who are tall enough to play basketball, so they don't take an interest in it.

thats not true at all

_KB24_
05-12-2009, 09:37 PM
No way. I love basketball but more people know how to play soccer than identify mcdonalds around the world. I think even hockey is more popular globally.

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah soccer is huge world wide, despite the fact that nobody in america really gives a **** about it

MLS does alright for itself

still1ballin
Goalllllllllllllllllllllll
goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

viiiiva laaaa razaaaaaaa

goaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

metele sazon

goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll ll

Duncan = Donkey
No chance.

PackersYanks17
05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Nah no chance. Soccer is the most popular by far. Being Portuguese all Ive known is soccer, and its popularity throughout the world will be tough for basketball to ever match.

Wilson
05-12-2009, 09:40 PM
i beg to differ...baseball is thought of as a joke in europe...
and basketball is played in many more countries than baseball is...

baseball is played in the US, Japan, cuba, puerto rico, and colombia...thats about it

Baseball isn't seen as a joke in Europe to my knowledge. I've heard that it's particularly popular in Holland.

Here in England, the game is met with lots of cynicism, but there are some serious fans.

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Baseball isn't seen as a joke in Europe to my knowledge. I've heard that it's particularly popular in Holland.

Here in England, the game is met with lots of cynicism, but there are some serious fans.

and i've never heard of holland taking a liking to baseball, but you could be right..

but everywhere else its barely even known...ie germany, italy, spain etc

tr4shb0t
05-12-2009, 09:44 PM
?????

all of europe has tall enough people...all of africa has tall enough people...all have south america has tall enough people...maybe not asia...but still

Doesn't matter if some can. A LOT of countries can't, whereas every country can make soccer players.

There just aren't enough tall people with the right build period to make basketball huge. NBA recruits many of the rare scattered players from other countries anyway.

Simple supply and demand problem.

PurpleJesus
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
an an American, i dont care, Basketball is way cooler than watching lawn ferries

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Doesn't matter if some can. A LOT of countries can't, whereas every country can make soccer players.

There just aren't enough tall people with the right build period to make basketball huge. NBA recruits many of the rare scattered players from other countries anyway.

Simple supply and demand problem.

dude you're are wrong...

are you saying americans are just taller than everyone else, because this is not supported by facts..

the majority of americans ancestors are from europe and africa...we didn't just magically start becoming taller when we moved out here...

Wilson
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
well i lived in england, and i remember people laughing at the fact that americans play a sport designed for little girls by them (rounders)...

and i've never heard of holland taking a liking to baseball, but you could be right..

but everywhere else its barely even known...ie germany, italy, spain etc

Yeah, like I said it's met with a lot of cynicism here, but there is a good amount of baseball fans here as well.

I've had people say rounders to me before, it just makes me laugh. People here say "Oh Americans are so stupid, they don't know they're just playing rounders", and I'm just thinking "Yeah, I'd sure feel stupid about making billions of dollars out of something my British brothers make maybe 100 out of..." :p

Out of interest, where did you live when you were over here?

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
an an American, i dont care, Basketball is way cooler than watching lawn ferries

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, like I said it's met with a lot of cynicism here, but there is a good amount of baseball fans here as well.

I've had people say rounders to me before, it just makes me laugh. People here say "Oh Americans are so stupid, they don't know they're just playing rounders", and I'm just thinking "Yeah, I'd sure feel stupid about making billions of dollars out of something my British brothers make maybe 100 out of..." :p

sure there are fans of baseball in england...but not a lot...in fact i don't think i ever even came across one while i lived in england...

and they would have brought it up seeing as i'm american and all

Chicagofaithful
theres just so much passion in soccer, and i dont see it in Bball consistently

Wilson
soccer players are superior athletes to baseball players...

a baseball players pasttime is sitting down eating sunflower seeds...soccer actually requires athletisism AND skill...

baseball is the most boring sport on earth...plz leave it out of this conversation, im getting bored thinking about it

I wouldn't say that baseball doesn't require any skill...I can tell you this, if a guy is throwing the ball at me at 80MPH, I'm not hitting it with that thin bat. On the other side, I don't know if I could get the ball past Manny Ramirez, or catch up with it after he launches it...

tr4shb0t
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
dude you're are wrong...

are you saying americans are just taller than everyone else, because this is not supported by facts..

the majority of americans ancestors are from europe and africa...we didn't just magically start becoming taller when we moved out here...

I said nothing about America.

Look up a bell curve because that's what height measurements are going to follow. If you notice, there will always be enormously fewer tall people. The taller the rarer.

You can't argue with math.

NYMetros
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Soccer is boring. The US will never embrace it.

ink
05-12-2009, 09:52 PM

yet they're pulling it out of the Olympics and basketball will still be there.

Now that I think of it, basketball is one of the most universal sports. Like soccer, all you really need is a ball.

But in terms of popularity it's pretty hard to imagine any sport ever drawing the same worldwide audiences as soccer does.

They can fill a football stadium on any continent with ease.

Steely McBeam
05-12-2009, 09:53 PM
i don't think basketball will, but baseball maybe; the WBC is a nice example of that

Wilson
05-12-2009, 09:53 PM
sure there are fans of baseball in england...but not a lot...in fact i don't think i ever even came across one while i lived in england...

and they would have brought it up seeing as i'm american and all

Hmm, maybe we're just in different crowds :p Generally, the hardcore football fans over here won't like baseball, but I've met plenty of people who do like it...it's obviously not as popular as football (or soccer :p) though, or even the NFL over here...

ragee
05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I think there is a chance that it can close... But it will take a lot of time... This wil be because of the international players like Dirk, Nash, Gasol, Parker, etc...

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:55 PM

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't say that baseball doesn't require any skill...I can tell you this, if a guy is throwing the ball at me at 80MPH, I'm not hitting it with that thin bat. On the other side, I don't know if I could get the ball past Manny Ramirez, or catch up with it after he launches it...

baseball definitely requires skill...

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:57 PM

not sure how this is relevant to the post...

Wilson
05-12-2009, 09:59 PM

The problem is, in America, you guys have the choice of watching the Lakers vs the Celtics, the Patriots going 16-0, the Rays going on that unpredictable run or David Beckham, passed his prime playing against mostly inferior competition. It's no suprise that you guys haven't embraced our football. All the best football/soccer players are in Europe, all the best American football players, basketball players, baseball players and hockey players are in the US. It wouldn't make sense for you guys to start focussing on MLS...

Now that I think of it, basketball is one of the most universal sports. Like soccer, all you really need is a ball.

But in terms of popularity it's pretty hard to imagine any sport ever drawing the same worldwide audiences as soccer does.

That kind of ties in with what I want to say about this. In Europe currently, there's no incentive to jump on the NBA bandwagon, because all the best players are in the States. Meanwhile, the best soccer players in the world are served to you.

It's easy to fill a stadium if the best players in the world are playing inside, and I think you could fill a basketball arena in Spain if the Lakers were playing the Cavs.

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:59 PM
i don't think basketball will, but baseball maybe; the WBC is a nice example of that

a large proportion of the players in that tournament were american...

the whole italian team was american...and the whole netherlands team was made up of carribean islanders

PurpleJesus
05-12-2009, 10:01 PM

a baseball players pasttime is sitting down eating sunflower seeds...soccer actually requires athletisism AND skill...

baseball is the most boring sport on earth...plz leave it out of this conversation, im getting bored thinking about it

ummm...the debate is basketball, not baseball

Cubs Win
05-12-2009, 10:01 PM
baseball definitely requires skill...my point was that soccer requires skill and athletisism (along with other things) similarly to basketball...

thats why i feel they are superior sports

Baseball requires a different kind of athleticsm. That's what most people don't realize. It also takes certain athletic things needed in soccer and basketball and uses it to a greater degree. Ex: Hand-eye coordination and reaction times

So to say Basketball and soccer are superior for that reason is just foolish. Quite frankly, soccer is incredibly boring. You have to watch like 7 games to see a goal. Soccer is useful though for getting young children and adults to sleep though.

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 10:02 PM
The problem is, in America, you guys have the choice of watching the Lakers vs the Celtics, the Patriots going 16-0, the Rays going on that unpredictable run or David Beckham, passed his prime playing against mostly inferior competition. It's no suprise that you guys haven't embraced our football. All the best football/soccer players are in Europe, all the best American football players, basketball players, baseball players and hockey players are in the US. It wouldn't make sense for you guys to start focussing on MLS...

That kind of ties in with what I want to say about this. In Europe currently, there's no incentive to jump on the NBA bandwagon, because all the best players are in the States. Meanwhile, the best soccer players in the world are served to you.

It's easy to fill a stadium if the best players in the world are playing inside, and I think you could fill a basketball arena in Spain if the Lakers were playing the Cavs.

soccer is a lot more popular than people realize here in america...

but the attendance records for the average mls team is actually quite good.. up around 20thousand people per game...la's attendace was like 26k...not bad

nahson
05-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Agree'd but I was thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that I like soccer more than baseball. Baseball just seems so slow paced and boring. That's just me though I'm the type of person who cant watch a sport unless someone is getting smashed or someone's get crossed up. And to not stray away from the topic of the thread.... NO basketball will not become as popular as soccer. As stated above there's just to much passion involved in it by both the players and the fans. Chicky chicky check it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fW-VUnFWE

Wilson
05-12-2009, 10:04 PM
i lived in york...i had a great time there too...where are you living?

Currently I'm in Stoke-on-Trent (in the Midlands) for uni, but I'm from Manchester. I've been to York a few times before, it's a beautiful city. Probably England's best kept secret (as far as I know it's not a well known city outside of the UK, or even in it...).

baseball definitely requires skill...my point was that soccer requires skill and athletisism (along with other things) similarly to basketball...

thats why i feel they are superior sports

Oh yeah I think it's fair to say that soccer and basketball require more athleticism than baseball. Baseball is more centered around smaller skills, which is why I don't think it's quite so popular as other American sports worldwide. I think the really skillfull parts of the game get missed a lot.

IceMan xMVPx
05-12-2009, 10:04 PM
The problem is, in America, you guys have the choice of watching the Lakers vs the Celtics, the Patriots going 16-0, the Rays going on that unpredictable run or David Beckham, passed his prime playing against mostly inferior competition. It's no suprise that you guys haven't embraced our football. All the best football/soccer players are in Europe, all the best American football players, basketball players, baseball players and hockey players are in the US. It wouldn't make sense for you guys to start focussing on MLS..
Great Post. I couldn't agree more. The fact that the best players in the world aren't playing in the States is the one the big reasons why Soccer isn't popular. The MLS is inferior to the rest of the leagues in Europe and South America so nobody really cares. Rather you can watch the best players in the world at their sport in the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL therefore making those sports the most popular in North America.

nahson
05-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Here's a question? Will the WNBA ever be as popular at all?

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Baseball requires a different kind of athleticsm. That's what most people don't realize. It also takes certain athletic things needed in soccer and basketball and uses it to a greater degree. Ex: Hand-eye coordination and reaction times

So to say Basketball and soccer are superior for that reason is just foolish. Quite frankly, soccer is incredibly boring. You have to watch like 7 games to see a goal. Soccer is useful though for getting young children and adults to sleep though.

hand eye coordination and reaction times has nothing to do with athletisism einstein...that is skill, not athletisism...please notice the differentiation...

and soccer doesn't have high scoring, there is a lot more to soccer than scoring...i'm glad i'm now aware of your ignorance to the sport, and the fact that you know so little about it yet comment on it is quite interesting to me...perhaps you should stick to thing you are knowledgable about...if thats anything...

Steely McBeam
05-12-2009, 10:06 PM
a large proportion of the players in that tournament were american...

the whole italian team was american...and the whole netherlands team was made up of carribean islanders

good point... its still good to see baseball reach across the world to Korea, China, Japan, Vietnam; yet again so does basketball, everyone wins i guess...
sports are great!!!

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 10:08 PM

lol doubtful

Wilson
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
soccer is a lot more popular than people realize here in america...

espn has some kind of agenda against soccer for whatever reason...the only time they ever mention a soccer related story is when it has to with something bad, riots etc...

but the attendance records for the average mls team is actually quite good.. up around 20thousand people per game...la's attendace was like 26k...not bad

I had no idea the figures were that high. They figured to be high in LA when Becks was there, but besides that I didn't think too many people would be interested in MLS.

I've never thought of ESPN to have an agenda against soccer. Recently I've seen a few headlines and updates about the UEFA Champions League. It seemed to me that they were dipping their toes in the water of soccer (:cool:) when Beckham went over to LA. When I clicked stories about soccer, I'd get surveys about where I was living and how much I spent online and stuff, it seemed like they were trying to get a feel for how many people they could get on board with soccer.

Cubs Win
05-12-2009, 10:11 PM
hand eye coordination and reaction times has nothing to do with athletisism einstein...that is skill, not athletisism...please notice the differentiation...

and soccer doesn't have high scoring, there is a lot more to soccer than scoring...i'm glad i'm now aware of your ignorance to the sport, and the fact that you know so little about it yet comment on it is quite interesting to me...perhaps you should stick to thing you are knowledgable about...if thats anything...

Like I said, it's a different kind of athleticsm. But it also takes speed, strength (absolutely ZERO in soccer). What does soccer take? Speed. Anything else? Nope. I could easily be a soccer star. Anyone who puts the time in can, it really doesn't take any natural skill. I played soccer for 8 years. I was th ebest player on the field every game. There was a rule that you could only score 2 goals a game so I'd score 2 goals in the first quarter (they had quarters for some reason). Then I'd switch to goalie and shut the team out. I never really even played outside of once a week practices. I stopped playing because the sport was boring. Could I have played in college? Most likely. So to say I'm ignorant as to soccer, incorrect. Apparently there isn't anything you're knowledgable about.

bal_ravens
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM

And a hoop.... and a court... Unless of course you just want to dribble on grass and make a chalk hoop against a wall...

bal_ravens
05-12-2009, 10:17 PM

baseball is played in the US, Japan, cuba, puerto rico, and colombia...thats about it

And basketball is thought of as a joke in places such as Mexico...

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 10:20 PM
And basketball is thought of as a joke in places such as Mexico...

wasn't aware of this

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 10:22 PM
And a hoop.... and a court... Unless of course you just want to dribble on grass and make a chalk hoop against a wall...

its not hard to improvise a basketball hoop, much like a soccer goal...

Wilson
05-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I feel this thread has gone to a special place...

D_Rose1118
05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
no way

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
The numbers from '05-'07 look dreadful, although I'm fairly certain that's an error :p

Looks like LA did have a sharp fall in attendance after Beckham left, but that's still some impressive numbers at the top. Much higher than I would have guessed...

I think that just goes to show that it's not just about America not embracing soccer, it's about the best players all being on a different continent. Alternatively, the NFL games at Wembley (and the NFL ratings over here) go to show that England enjoys American football, we just need some quality over here.

People just love sports I think, and for the most part, they're going to watch the best competition available...

agreed. wasn't aware of high ratings for american football games over there...do they ever show football games on the bbc or would you have to pay extra for it

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 10:47 PM
The numbers from '05-'07 look dreadful, although I'm fairly certain that's an error :p

Looks like LA did have a sharp fall in attendance after Beckham left, but that's still some impressive numbers at the top. Much higher than I would have guessed...

I think that just goes to show that it's not just about America not embracing soccer, it's about the best players all being on a different continent. Alternatively, the NFL games at Wembley (and the NFL ratings over here) go to show that England enjoys American football, we just need some quality over here.

People just love sports I think, and for the most part, they're going to watch the best competition available...

haha yeah. zero attendance through 05-07...i'm surprised the league is still going

Wilson
05-12-2009, 10:51 PM
agreed. wasn't aware of high ratings for american football games over there...do they ever show football games on the bbc or would you have to pay extra for it

Sky Sports has really good NFL coverage. They have five Sunday games (two 1 ET games, to 4 ET games and the late one), every Monday night game, every Thursday game (including all the Thanksgiving games), every Saturday night game, every play-off game (including the Superbowl) and the Pro-bowl. The ratings have been rising as the coverage has grown over the years and got quite high, then rose by 40% or something after the first Wembley game.

I think Sky Sports get more games than any American channel, which is quite impressive, although they don't have any real contender's over here like the American companies do...

EDIT: I forgot to actually answer the question :p Yeah, it costs a little extra for Sky Sports, it's just a package added to the Sky digital, I'm not sure how much it is, but my mum has it so I watch a ton of it when I'm home :p

dre1990
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
it will get big, but not that big.

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 11:05 PM

yeah i agree...

im really excited to see more and more big names coming from places like spain (rubio) etc...spain produces great soccer teams maybe they'll soon be producing great basketball teams

Hawkeye15
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
no way. there are so many countries that don't even play basketball, and everyone plays soccer

TopsyTurvy
05-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Ultimately the relevance of soccer in the US will be dictated by the athletes. A potential up and coming professional athlete chooses a given sport early (or more appropriately has it chosen for them by parents, coaches, etc.). Depending on your demographic in the states, the loftiest goal could be the NBA, NFL, or MLB. Rarely do young athletes see top tier soccer (ie. a domestic club overseas) in their future - the athletes are simply filtered into other sports. The potential pro athletes simply can't get top flight competition state side and few families are willing send a 15-17 year old athletic prodigy to the best football academies in Europe.

The paradigm won't change any time soon. No other sport will ever approach the popularity of soccer on a global scale just as American domestic soccer will always be a pasture for 'past-their-prime' international superstars to escape the spotlight of European media.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-13-2009, 12:04 AM
i wish

IRUAM #21
05-13-2009, 12:08 AM

That's what she said.

carlo4444
05-13-2009, 12:19 AM
basketball is becoming huge! a lot of youth are doing it these days. it will grow but will take a while to be the most popular.

avsman05
05-13-2009, 12:24 AM
That's what she said.

Did you just diss yourself?:confused:

Wilson
05-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Ultimately the relevance of soccer in the US will be dictated by the athletes. A potential up and coming professional athlete chooses a given sport early (or more appropriately has it chosen for them by parents, coaches, etc.). Depending on your demographic in the states, the loftiest goal could be the NBA, NFL, or MLB. Rarely do young athletes see top tier soccer (ie. a domestic club overseas) in their future - the athletes are simply filtered into other sports. The potential pro athletes simply can't get top flight competition state side and few families are willing send a 15-17 year old athletic prodigy to the best football academies in Europe.

That's another huge difference that would have to be worked out. Whereas in America, you get noticed by collge scouts in high school, then pro scouts when you're in college, then you get drafted, in Europe, you get noticed by a scout when you're a kid, then you go on a team's youth programme until you're old enough to play professionally. It's a totally different system.

JordanPippen
05-13-2009, 12:31 AM

Look up a bell curve because that's what height measurements are going to follow. If you notice, there will always be enormously fewer tall people. The taller the rarer.

.... wow...

so that's why china doesn't have a good national basketball team :rolleyes:

every country produces tall people. by saying that basketball won't be as popular as soccer based on height is a ******** argument. The beauty of basketball is that if you have a ball and a goal, you can hours of fun. Height only matters if your going pro, and every country has that...

IRUAM #21
05-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Did you just diss yourself?:confused:

IDK, i guess :laugh2:

avsman05
05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
IDK, i guess :laugh2:

:laugh:

soundjunkies2
05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
In my opinion basketball is probably the 2nd biggest sport in the world.To answer your question i don't think so.

what54!?
05-13-2009, 12:51 AM
naw people have riots over soccer. Not so much B-ball

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 12:53 AM
naw people have riots over soccer. Not so much B-ball

really...what would you call the pacers pistons brawl

what54!?
05-13-2009, 12:56 AM
really...what would you call the pacers pistons brawlok let me re-phrase this. Soccer has riots on a regular basis, not so much basketball

Wilson
05-13-2009, 01:00 AM
ok let me re-phrase this. Soccer has riots on a regular basis, not so much basketball

Not really...riots have been a problem in the past, not really anymore. Whether I'm at home or at uni, I'm never more than 40 mins (at the most) away from Manchester United's ground, and I've never witnessed a riot...

what54!?
05-13-2009, 01:01 AM
ok since my agrument has been shot down I'll just say not for some years

IversonIsKrazy
05-13-2009, 01:01 AM
never. no sport will ever be as popular as soccer.

Reyes6
05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Competitive Eating might be. Or Baseketball. Or Golf.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Competitive Eating might be. Or Baseketball. Or Golf.

:confused:

Wilson
05-13-2009, 01:08 AM
:laugh2: :laugh2:

Duncan = Donkey
05-13-2009, 01:23 AM
ok let me re-phrase this. Soccer has riots on a regular basis, not so much basketball

not a regualr basis, the last memorable football riot i can think of was the 2007 man united/roma riots in the quarter finals in the champions league.

although the so called 'NBA brawls/riots' are nothing compared to football/soccer riots.

Duncan = Donkey
05-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Not really...riots have been a problem in the past, not really anymore. Whether I'm at home or at uni, I'm never more than 40 mins (at the most) away from Manchester United's ground, and I've never witnessed a riot...

riots will always be a part of football, football hollinigism hasnt just gone away. All it takes is a group of idiots to do something stupid and then it will just erupt.

Wat does happen though at alot of games are fights. I was ar turf moore watching burnley a couple of years ago. And in the space of an hour i seen 4 fights outside the ground before kickoff. That doesnt happen at NBA games.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 01:34 AM
riots will always be a part of football, football hollinigism hasnt just gone away. All it takes is a group of idiots to do something stupid and then it will just erupt.

Wat does happen though at alot of games are fights. I was ar turf moore watching burnley a couple of years ago. And in the space of an hour i seen 4 fights outside the ground before kickoff. That doesnt happen at NBA games.

whats your point? the nba is better for this?

Duncan = Donkey
05-13-2009, 01:42 AM
the nba is better for this???
i like football/soccer way more than basketball.

im just saying football riots/hoollingans are not a thing of the past and they still exist. and that nba ffights/brawls arnt on the level that football ones are and arnt as frequent

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 01:49 AM
the nba is better for this???
i like football/soccer way more than basketball.

im just saying football riots/hoollingans are not a thing of the past and they still exist. and that nba ffights/brawls arnt on the level that football ones are and arnt as frequent

ok i can agree with that...

i guess there is just way more passion with soccer than there is with america sports, or any other sport for that matter

Duncan = Donkey
05-13-2009, 01:54 AM
yer there is no doubting that, football fans are just so passioanite about there team.
there team losing makes them do crazy stuff.

Kings Faithful
05-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Their is nothing like the FIFA World Cup... I love watching the USA try and try again only to fail...but the hope remains that we will one day prevail.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Their is nothing like the FIFA World Cup... I love watching the USA try and try again only to fail...but the hope remains that we will one day prevail.

agreed

Reyes6
05-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Imagine if all we had was baseball in America. If we had to wait all off-season for our team, if the only sport we watched was... Baseball. Then we too would have the same passion, but instead we spread it out over all different sports. Plus the fact that there is an actual PRIDE where a team doesn't move over the years and change its name all the time.

American Sports have lost their loyalty. Football, while players leave teams, still have a lot more passion because they have Pride and Loyalty.

Plus, it's fun to play and watch. Not MLS, World Cup. Sorry but MLS does VERY little for me.

Becks2307
05-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Like I said, it's a different kind of athleticsm. But it also takes speed, strength (absolutely ZERO in soccer). What does soccer take? Speed. Anything else? Nope. I could easily be a soccer star. Anyone who puts the time in can, it really doesn't take any natural skill. I played soccer for 8 years. I was the best player on the field every game. There was a rule that you could only score 2 goals a game so I'd score 2 goals in the first quarter (they had quarters for some reason). Then I'd switch to goalie and shut the team out. I never really even played outside of once a week practices. I stopped playing because the sport was boring. Could I have played in college? Most likely. So to say I'm ignorant as to soccer, incorrect. Apparently there isn't anything you're knowledgable about.

this has to be one of the most ignorant posts ive ever read...im really not trying to insult you or anything but...wow

you can easily be a soccer star ? sure dude..sure
You clearly were not playing against good players

7 year old kids in serious soccer playing countries would run rings around you

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 02:34 AM
this has to be one of the most ignorant posts ive ever read...im really not trying to insult you or anything but...wow

i confess i had a little argument with him...

he said a lot worse things but they got deleted

rdz4life
05-13-2009, 02:34 AM
basketball is a growing sport...

soccer is the most popular sport on earth by a long shot...

so do you think basketball will ever reach the popularity of soccer? if so, how long...

soccer and bball i personally my two favorite sports...but i don't think bball will ever reach that level of popularity...

:no::no::no::no:

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Imagine if all we had was baseball in America. If we had to wait all off-season for our team, if the only sport we watched was... Baseball. Then we too would have the same passion, but instead we spread it out over all different sports. Plus the fact that there is an actual PRIDE where a team doesn't move over the years and change its name all the time.

American Sports have lost their loyalty. Football, while players leave teams, still have a lot more passion because they have Pride and Loyalty.

Plus, it's fun to play and watch. Not MLS, World Cup. Sorry but MLS does VERY little for me.

in europe and elsewhere they also have other very popular sports...in the uk they have cricket and rugby. which are two other widely popular sports. similar to basketball here.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 02:36 AM
:no::no::no::no:

??????????

KobeIs
05-13-2009, 02:36 AM
lol wait soccer is popular?!

IRUAM #21
05-13-2009, 02:38 AM

yes.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 02:39 AM

Havoc Wreaker
05-13-2009, 02:47 AM
With the BS the refs are pulling right and left, in the NBA at least, I doubt it

UK Bull
05-13-2009, 02:53 AM

No it wont be as popular as soccer. But talking about baseball im in quite a small town in england and for some reason there is a local baseball team here.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 03:00 AM
No it wont be as popular as soccer. But talking about baseball im in quite a small town in england and for some reason there is a local baseball team here.

lol really?

Chronz
05-13-2009, 03:06 AM
If LeBron and Kobe can meet in the Finals every year then possibly

superkegger
05-13-2009, 03:19 AM
even then i doubt it. If they somehow find a way to bring back a prime michael to play in todays NBA, maybe.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 04:54 AM
even then i doubt it. If they somehow find a way to bring back a prime michael to play in todays NBA, maybe.

its going to take a whole lot more than one or two players to make the nba more popular...

soccer isn't more popular than basketball because the level of bball play isn't high enough...

azkarraga
05-13-2009, 05:53 AM
There wont be a worldwide audience untill NBA machts are regularly on tv worldwide.

Becks2307
05-13-2009, 05:57 AM
too many rules to appeal to a broad audience i think. Most of my football friends who watch basketball games can't stand the stopping and starting and timeouts. I totally understand too because football (soccer) is my fav sport and if i didnt grow up watchin basketball as well i would probably feel the same way. Football feels so pure

JayW_1023
05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I hope so. Maybe if they allow ties in basketball :laugh:

I like soccer too but I don't like it when ties are implied in sports...I would much rather see one team win in the end. Plus I love the drama that comes with penalty shootouts.

TEXSTROS
05-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Soccer is boring and sucks to watch but i don't see anything becoming more popular any time soon.

Hockey sucks too

TheDiggler
05-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I don't think any sport will ever reach the worldwide popularity of soccer. Not a chance.

I agree. I'm from Germany and I see daily, what soccer means to our country and europe. Not a chance that any sport will be bigger than that ...

UK Bull
05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
lol really?

when i was living in england i was looking for a baseball team to play on but couldn't find one...i played cricket instead...haha

Yeah they play about 10 games a season lol. It was in my local newspaper.

jimbobjarree
05-13-2009, 09:18 AM
cricket ftw

NYY 26 to 7
05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
The reason it won't is because anyone anywhere can play soccer it is cheap. All you need is something to kick around. Basketball requires a basket to shoot at which is too expensive for many people around the world. Kids play soccer just saying the goal is between these to sticks or chairs or trash cans whatever is around. So I would say with those restrictions basketball isn't as widely played. I realize basketball is very popular in poorer areas of the US but thats because we already have public courts all over the place and I don't see these countries building courts.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
the excuse for Soccer not being popular in america because the best players are nto there is a failure.

Why? because you can grant that in guatemala , or china, or Albania or Morroco they dont have the best players in their leagues and still soccer is the most liked sport.

Now with TV you can see whatever yu want so if someone was serious about soccer in Usa they woudl just show the Champions league, Premierl Leaga, Calcio and Spanish liga so you could wahtc the best teams and players....just in the same way we watch here nba broadcastast.

I think the KEY is having National players that are good...

30somethign years ago NO ONE cared for Basket here in Spain, everybody played soccer or even Hnadball becaus ewe SUCKED.

THen a good generation came and reached Bronze in Moscow and Silvar against Ewing and JOrdan 84 usa team, that skyrocketed the interest for Bakset in Spain and many little children starte playng it....such as Gasol, navarro, Calderon.... that generation grew to win a yout championship against usa in 99 and soon after gasol wasup there with the best that convinced more childern like RICKY RUBIO to go into basket and not into soccer... its like a chain, the more people of a country are on nba the most kids taht would get into the sport.....im hoping in two years there are at least 10 spaniards in the nba , Rubio, Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy, Calderon, Claver, Llul, Pau, Marc, Vazquz and cabezas because that will grow EVEN MORE TALENT here.

Usa does not like soccer because Usa National team has never made any international noise.

Once a Team usa soccer team is lucky enough to mae the Semifinals of a World CUp interest will grow.

masalex1205
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Anybody who thinks basketball will ever come close to soccer's popularity is worldwide is ignorant, period.

People don't die over basketball.

Wilson
05-13-2009, 10:26 AM

That's something I've had a lot of conversations about. It annoys me when teams move sometimes (especially when Seattle has it's team stolen, meanwhile the 10 Grizzlie fans are allowed to continue to watch their team...). It's a massively different set up between American leagues and European leagues though.

In the American leagues, there's 30 (ish) teams, and that's it. Using England as an example, every single city, town and village has a team, so there's no demand for teams anywhere. The leagues are set up where the league leaders are promoted to the next league, whilst the lower ranked teams are relegated to the lower one. In America, since only 30 cities have pro teams, there's demand in other cities for teams, so when one team starts struggling a ton, they're just moved instead of relegated.

A much closer system is the American college system. Those teams will never move because they're roots are with the college, and every place has it's own anyway...

It seems to be a growing sport over here. The Milwuakee Brewers had a try out somewhere over here a year or two ago. If you watch channel 5 baseball (I don't know if they're doing it this year or not though), they'll talk about British baseball a lot.

too many rules to appeal to a broad audience i think. Most of my football friends who watch basketball games can't stand the stopping and starting and timeouts. I totally understand too because football (soccer) is my fav sport and if i didnt grow up watchin basketball as well i would probably feel the same way. Football feels so pure

I get frustrated with all the stoppages sometimes. I can live with team time outs and stuff like that, but it really bothers me when the TV station is putting it's own breaks in the game to advertise :mad: :mad:

I hope so. Maybe if they allow ties in basketball :laugh:

I like soccer too but I don't like it when ties are implied in sports...I would much rather see one team win in the end. Plus I love the drama that comes with penalty shootouts.

My home town (Bury) team was in a penalty shootout in a play-off game the other day. I don't care about the team, but that was awesome to watch. Bury conceded a goal at some point near the end of the game which sent it to OT, then they missed a ton of goal opportunities because Shrewsbury's goalie was playing his *** off, then he saved two penalties in the shoot out to send them through, it was pretty cool to watch.

It was really funny afterwards as well. The Shrewsbury fans tried to rush the pitch, and initially the police tried to stop them, but then they just seemed to give up. You could see them just standing around and scratching their heads as fans were running all over the hero-goalie :laugh: :laugh: It's a good job none of the fans were crazy...

HOZ THE KNICK
05-13-2009, 10:27 AM
yeah

tr3ymill3r
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
basketball has a real good opportunity to become the most watched sport because of one player, yao ming. With the billions of people who watch from china, basketball has a real good chance to leap frog soccer but it'll still take 10 years and there will need to be another Chinese player to be a prominent as Yao, and Yi isn't it.

roygconner
05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Basketball has as much of a chance to become as popular as soccer worldwide as soccer has to become popular in the USA... ZERO... The only reason that soccer is so popular worldwide is because all you need is a ball to play the game.

Wilson
05-13-2009, 11:22 AM
basketball has a real good opportunity to become the most watched sport because of one player, yao ming. With the billions of people who watch from china, basketball has a real good chance to leap frog soccer but it'll still take 10 years and there will need to be another Chinese player to be a prominent as Yao, and Yi isn't it.

Sun Yue baby :cool:

dawkinit
05-13-2009, 11:36 AM
until basketball holds the greatest tourney in the world id say no. what other sport invites every country in the world to compete to be the globes best... im not talking olympics either cause even that doesnt compare to the world cup.

for those of you who dont understand what the world cup means to the rest of the world. imagine the NCAA tourney being held worldwide. so yeah basketball stands ZERO chance ever. and when the world cup is on, the ratings are higher in the US than any basketball game.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
^there is a Basketball world cup too you know???? Spain is the current champion....

tafteagle15
05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
the only sport i can see catching up is baseball and that still not liekly to catch up to soccer.

fresh prince
05-13-2009, 02:23 PM

:speechless:

Wow... Are you serious?

China, Venezuala, Korea, Dominican Republic, Canada, Mexico ......... are all huge baseball playing Countries and the sport is surging in popularity right now..

Back on topic..No. I don't think another sport will ever reach the global popularity of Soccer

Sport
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I didn't even realize soccer was THAT popular.

I could care less about soccer and never watch it, so I'm a little biased I suppose.

IBleedPurple
05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
the excuse for Soccer not being popular in america because the best players are nto there is a failure.

Why? because you can grant that in guatemala , or china, or Albania or Morroco they dont have the best players in their leagues and still soccer is the most liked sport.

Now with TV you can see whatever yu want so if someone was serious about soccer in Usa they woudl just show the Champions league, Premierl Leaga, Calcio and Spanish liga so you could wahtc the best teams and players....just in the same way we watch here nba broadcastast.

30somethign years ago NO ONE cared for Basket here in Spain, everybody played soccer or even Hnadball becaus ewe SUCKED.

THen a good generation came and reached Bronze in Moscow and Silvar against Ewing and JOrdan 84 usa team, that skyrocketed the interest for Bakset in Spain and many little children starte playng it....such as Gasol, navarro, Calderon.... that generation grew to win a yout championship against usa in 99 and soon after gasol wasup there with the best that convinced more childern like RICKY RUBIO to go into basket and not into soccer... its like a chain, the more people of a country are on nba the most kids taht would get into the sport.....im hoping in two years there are at least 10 spaniards in the nba , Rubio, Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy, Calderon, Claver, Llul, Pau, Marc, Vazquz and cabezas because that will grow EVEN MORE TALENT here.

Usa does not like soccer because Usa National team has never made any international noise.

Once a Team usa soccer team is lucky enough to mae the Semifinals of a World CUp interest will grow.

I agree with your points. One thing I have always wondered is....Soccer is one of the most commonly played sports among young kids in the US. It is not the ONLY sport as it is elsewhere, but lots of kids between the age of 4-14 play it. But sometime around the age of 12-14, most kids stop playing soccer. It is very strange.

CityofTreez
05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Baseball has a better chance of having a popular perception.

Every year, Japanese players kick *** in the WBC, not to mention their kids in the Little League World Series. These carribean players are doing the same.

MLS is 3x different from Champions/Premier league! Look at it, Donovan,Dempsey have nothing on Lampard/Gerard or Torrez/Fabregas. European players come over here and play in Kansas City or Columbus?

That doesn't work. Ask Beckham if he played better in Carson, CA than he did in Old Trafford?

fresh prince
05-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I agree with your points. One thing I have always wondered is....Soccer is one of the most commonly played sports among young kids in the US. It is not the ONLY sport as it is elsewhere, but lots of kids between the age of 4-14 play it. But sometime around the age of 12-14, most kids stop playing soccer. It is very strange.

That's where the High School and College emphasis comes into play. In most high schools in the US..The Football, Basketball and Baseball teams get the most attention. From Girls, student body, faculty etc. So dudes are more likely to make the switch, since odds are they played one of the big 3 (football, baseball, hoops) growing up as well as Soccer That then carries over to college and so on and so forth.

A good buddy of mine from High School was a star soccer player all through high school and then we both ended up at Oregon State me for baseball/football him for soccer. I barely played but he continued to be a stud. Yet every where we went around town I was more recognizable. We always joked that if we were in any other country he would need body guards.

Its just the way things are in the states.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 02:58 PM
^if Mls accepted resto of the world rules...wich mean NO SALARY CAP; NO DRAFT , FREE MARKET.

and paid enough bucks you could have the strongest league in the world.

Wilson
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM

The difference is, they don't have any other sports that are well liked. They don't have an NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL...

About the TV point, it's still the same principle. Soccer will never gain a huge audience in the States, even a huge TV audience, until it's the best (or one of the best) options for Americans. Just like, whilst the NFL may have become more popular in England, or basketball may have become more popular in Spain, neither will compete with soccer until they have some serious competitions in England and Spain...

Here's two examples: Basketball enjoyed a huge leap in popularity in Spain after the pros started playing in the Olympics, whilst the NFL's ratings in England jumped by over 40% after they played a regular season game at Wembley.

Soccer has it's huge advantages obviously, but so does every other big sport. There's no mystical thing which makes soccer more popular worldwide, it's just a matter of availability as far as I'm concerned.

shonk688
05-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Basketball:up:

Soccer:puke:

jimbobjarree
05-13-2009, 04:07 PM
more or less every country in the world has a soccer team, I doubt basketball or any other US sport can ever get near that. Basketball has the best chance, but baseball..even cricket is played more world wide than that.

not that any of you guys care anyway, you just create and edit your own sports and call the winner the world champions anyway :shrug:

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 04:15 PM
^i would dare to say cricket is more known aroudn the globe than Baseball since its played in the Whole Commonwealth wich includes hughely populated countryes as India or Pakistan.

Much as Rugby is more a global sport (and much much funnier to watch/play) than Nfl

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 04:18 PM
i think the top5 followed world sports would be...

1 Soccer

2 F1 Racing

3 Tennis

4 BASKETBALL

5 Motorbikes

Tblaze
05-13-2009, 04:18 PM

No it's not popular in holland. Of course it's fun to watch occasionally if the national team ***-whoops a team full of pro's... but other then that. It's Soccer by a long shot, then probably field Hockey... and then there's alot of sports who aren't quite as popular.

Kakaroach
05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Soccer is insanely popular. Basketball has a chance to get there though.

Hustla23
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Soccer

Cricket

Basketball

Baseball

How it works.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
yep in the land of the Dutch evrything is about PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord ( NIce that AZ has broken the boredom a bit).

Hellcrooner
05-13-2009, 04:31 PM
soccer has another thing into their favour and its INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIVITY.

Teams put a lot of NATIONAL PRIDE into repersenting their countrys in the multi league champions league , sometimes a german side wins otehr times its italian, this year it will eb a hughe Spain vs England final with MUFC and BArcelona.

Also in teh world cup there is no Great capo one time BRazil will win otehr time it will be Argentina or germany or italy and even Spain , England or Holland have their chances it everything goes well.

with basket if there was some "champions league" Nba champion woul win 99% of the time so no real competition.

And Team usa is bond to win at least 4 of the next 5 Olympics and 4 of the next five World cups....yeah they may lose some final to spain or argentina but its a long shot and those are the only posible winners in soccer there are at least 10 teams that can win it all.

Wilson
05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
more or less every country in the world has a soccer team, I doubt basketball or any other US sport can ever get near that. Basketball has the best chance, but baseball..even cricket is played more world wide than that.

not that any of you guys care anyway, you just create and edit your own sports and call the winner the world champions anyway :shrug:

In America's defense, American football and baseball were both created by English people...

It does bother me when the champions are called the World champions though...:p

No it's not popular in holland. Of course it's fun to watch occasionally if the national team ***-whoops a team full of pro's... but other then that. It's Soccer by a long shot, then probably field Hockey... and then there's alot of sports who aren't quite as popular.

I wasn't sure about that, it was just something I'd heard...

soccer has another thing into their favour and its INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIVITY.

Teams put a lot of NATIONAL PRIDE into repersenting their countrys in the multi league champions league , sometimes a german side wins otehr times its italian, this year it will eb a hughe Spain vs England final with MUFC and BArcelona.

Also in teh world cup there is no Great capo one time BRazil will win otehr time it will be Argentina or germany or italy and even Spain , England or Holland have their chances it everything goes well.

with basket if there was some "champions league" Nba champion woul win 99% of the time so no real competition.

And Team usa is bond to win at least 4 of the next 5 Olympics and 4 of the next five World cups....yeah they may lose some final to spain or argentina but its a long shot and those are the only posible winners in soccer there are at least 10 teams that can win it all.

Right now, if there was some real competition between NBA teams and European teams, it may not be much of a match up, but neither was the Olympics when the States first started using pros.

These things need time. If the NBA champion was to play a game or a series against a great European team, then it would create interest, the interest would result in more people playing the sport, which would obviously create better players, which would create better competition down the line.

People think that just because other countries aren't as good now, they never will be. Like I said before, it all comes down to availability. If the NBA was made more available in other countries, it would create the chain of events I just listed. It would obviously take some time, but Rome wasn't built in a day...

XJW18
05-13-2009, 05:55 PM
basketball has has a better chance than any other sport.

Ironman5219
05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
First off I think Soccer sucks, its hard to watch and is something for 2nd graders to play to babysit them so their soccer moms can have a break from them all. But the rest of the world seems to like it, I'm ok with that just realize that in the US we love our basketball and REAL football!

juggla53
05-13-2009, 06:13 PM
actually the mls averages the same, if not higher attendance than basketball games...

so you are in fact wrong about that

Yeah thats attendance, what about T.V. Ratings and merchandise? Plus the fact that at the highschool and college level basketball is 10 times more popular then soccer. So in fact im not wrong about that, Good try though.

juggla53
05-13-2009, 06:29 PM
actually the mls averages the same, if not higher attendance than basketball games...

so you are in fact wrong about that

I almost forgot to mention... the average MLS game draws 15,500 people. The average NBA gane draws 17,000 people... so your actully wrong on all acounts.

EastCoastBaller
05-13-2009, 06:37 PM

sarcasm??? haha

azkarraga
05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
nah, it will never be as huge as soccer. and there's a reason for it. soccer is a mindless game.

Becks2307
05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
First off I think Soccer sucks, its hard to watch and is something for 2nd graders to play to babysit them so their soccer moms can have a break from them all. But the rest of the world seems to like it, I'm ok with that just realize that in the US we love our basketball and REAL football!

umm..REAL FOOTBALL sure...at least in soccer they use their feet 99 % of the time..

you don't have to degrade other sports to state your point.

I LOVE FOOTBALL (soccer) I think its the greatest sport in the world
I LOVE Basketball
I Really like the NFL too

but there is something about soccer that can't be explained..if you grew up in a soccer playing country you would understand..it really is The World's Game...and nothing is coming close soon.

Duncan = Donkey
05-13-2009, 07:15 PM
basketball is a softer sport than football/soccer.

Wilson
05-13-2009, 07:17 PM

That's more a result of the direction of the NBA than the actual sport. It's a shame.

Chaudhry
05-13-2009, 07:22 PM

really??? both are quite soft... both have situations where it can get rough

basketball will never be as popular as soccer... nothing will... all you need in soccer is a ball and ur foot (thus football)... for basketball you need a ball and a basket (thus basketball)...

all other sports you need a ball and something else... in 3rd, 4th and 5th (or just 3rd for you people not up to date) world countries soccer may not be the main sport but its definitely a top past time because of the previous fact...

i think the better question is will basketball ever be as popular globally as Cricket?

NYMetros
05-13-2009, 07:25 PM

There is like a total of 12 WNBA fans that aren't females.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM

soccer is popular in china too

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Basketball has as much of a chance to become as popular as soccer worldwide as soccer has to become popular in the USA... ZERO... The only reason that soccer is so popular worldwide is because all you need is a ball to play the game.

There's a lot more to it than that, mostly cultural reasons.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
:speechless:

Wow... Are you serious?

China, Venezuala, Korea, Dominican Republic, Canada, Mexico ......... are all huge baseball playing Countries and the sport is surging in popularity right now..

Back on topic..No. I don't think another sport will ever reach the global popularity of Soccer

i said those were the main ones...the countries where baseball is the most popular...

baseball is not the most popular sport in china.

baseball is not the most popular sport in mexico.

OG "Dee" LOCc
05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
K cool man, too bad this is asking if basketball will be as popular as soccer....worldwide. :rolleyes:

I don't think it will ever reach the same popularity as soccer worldwide, basketball just doesnt have the same passion in every country. I hope though, someday it is. It would be great and fun to watch. Basketball and soccer are my two favorite sports so it works out for me lol.

Cubs Win
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
There is like a total of 12 WNBA fans that aren't females.

New releases have that number upwards of 15! At least a 25% increase in the leagues fan base. They must do incredible advertising.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah thats attendance, what about T.V. Ratings and merchandise? Plus the fact that at the highschool and college level basketball is 10 times more popular then soccer. So in fact im not wrong about that, Good try though.

you are wrong...people care about soccer in the US...

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I almost forgot to mention... the average MLS game draws 15,500 people. The average NBA gane draws 17,000 people... so your actully wrong on all acounts.

i bet you were surprised to here that the numbers were that close

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
nah, it will never be as huge as soccer. and there's a reason for it. soccer is a mindless game.

dumb

Chaudhry
05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
your logic is severely flawed...why isn't bocce ball as popular as soccer...they only have to use balls too...

i think you're missing the point of soccer's popularity...people find it fun, they don't play it just because its the easiest thing to play..

these people in these countries don't just watch and play soccer because its "easy" to do...i think they do it because they enjoy it don't you?

i know i don't do things i don't enjoy unless i have to...nobody is making people like soccer

because no one knows what bocce ball is... actually the concept of it is still popular...
(actually don't you have multiple balls in bocce ball??)

yes soccer has its own merits which make it more exciting then bocce ball...

but out of the major sports its not the easiest but the cheapest... if you honestly think that this doesn't matter in poorer countries then I would guess you've never been to a poor (meaning 3rd to 5th world) country...

Philly's Finest
05-13-2009, 10:56 PM
basketball will never be as popular as soccer because of these reasons...

cristiano ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Ronaldinho, David Beckham, Kaka, David Villa, Drogba, so many more to name, but all of these soccer studs are much bigger worldwide than people like kobe, lebron, dwight, dwayne.. these nba stars are great players and are known worldwide, its just the soccer players are much more popular across the globe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn24n3GXkGU-sick vid

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
because no one knows what bocce ball is... actually the concept of it is still popular...
(actually don't you have multiple balls in bocce ball??)

yes soccer has its own merits which make it more exciting then bocce ball...

but out of the major sports its not the easiest but the cheapest... if you honestly think that this doesn't matter in poorer countries then I would guess you've never been to a poor (meaning 3rd to 5th world) country...

soccers easy availability definitely helps the sport..but saying it is popular because its easy to play is majorly over simplyifying things...

Ironman5219
05-13-2009, 10:57 PM
umm..REAL FOOTBALL sure...at least in soccer they use their feet 99 % of the time..

you don't have to degrade other sports to state your point.

I LOVE FOOTBALL (soccer) I think its the greatest sport in the world
I LOVE Basketball
I Really like the NFL too

but there is something about soccer that can't be explained..if you grew up in a soccer playing country you would understand..it really is The World's Game...and nothing is coming close soon.

You make a good point that we shouldn't bash it, everyone should be able to go for whatever sport suits them best. I just think in the USA we have our sports that we are passionate about. I don't like people pushing soccer on us though, people all over the world watch the NFL and NBA. I agree soccer has the biggest fan base world wide, but I still say it is unwatchable compared to the NBA and NFL... just my opinion.

Chaudhry
05-13-2009, 11:00 PM
lol....how many people actually travel to 3rd world countries...

not that many...i've been to mexico...

soccers easy availability definitely helps the sport..but the reason people continue enjoy doing it throughout their lives is because they love the sport with a passion...that is my point...people don't become passionate about things that don't interest them...and there are undoubtedly million of greatly passionate soccer fans and players...moreso than any other sport by a long shot...

so saying soccer is popular because its easy to play is majorly over simplyifying things...

nono... thats not the reason its popular... thats the reason its MORE popular then any other sport and will remain that way....

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 11:01 PM
You make a good point that we shouldn't bash it, everyone should be able to go for whatever sport suits them best. I just think in the USA we have our sports that we are passionate about. I don't like people pushing soccer on us though, people all over the world watch the NFL and NBA. I agree soccer has the biggest fan base world wide, but I still say it is unwatchable compared to the NBA and NFL... just my opinion.

nobody is trying to push soccer on you ...if you don't like it, you don't like it...

silvTeg98
05-14-2009, 01:08 AM
it never will. i love basketball but soccer is my sport and i just dont see basketball reaching the popularity soccer has.

saritasbora
05-14-2009, 05:16 AM

If you are saying basketball is not popular in other countries because people in other countries are short. You can not blame people in other countries if they say Soccer is not popular in US because Americans are not in condition to run for 90minutes. By the way of course both theories are stupid. I just wanted to show how stupid your post was.

MiamiHeat
05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't see baseball or basketball reaching the popularity of soccer.

Me being born in South America, all I did was play soccer 24/7
the only sport that was talked about was soccer
I barely heard about the NBA or basketball overall, same with baseball

but now is all about basketball for me :)

Tblaze
05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
yep in the land of the Dutch evrything is about PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord ( NIce that AZ has broken the boredom a bit).

I can actually see the PSV stadium from my room right now, and when they play... I don't really have to go watch. I can hear them cheer when a goal is made :P

I do think from all american sports, basketball has the biggest chance to interest the biggest public. There's quite some friends who started following basketball and the nba because I got them to look at it. The biggest problem is, you're not going to see any NBA in our country unless you want to pay for it or do alot of effort to get it. So that's the biggest problem, there's just not much basketball on tvs and stuff so it's hard to gain ground that way...

Besides after Rik Smits stopped playing tv ratings decreased quickly so tv networks didn't want to broadcast anymore... A good young talent from Holland would help alot... and it probably won't be me :rolleyes:

AMC31
05-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Yeah me too, with Prospects popping up everywhere like Cuba (lately) and all over, and fans following home country players they tend to follow baseball it may get close to soccer, but basketball won't get close.

R-H-C-P
05-16-2009, 10:19 PM
no

king4day
05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
The day the popularity is the same is the day someone throws a molatov cocktail at a player like someone did to a soccer player years ago.

I think American Football is more popular than any US sport, so I'm not sure how Basketball will get that big.

ProdigyI
05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Basketball is growing considerably all around the world. If basketball was a stock, I would buy it now and become rich because it's only going to get higher. Basketball is way more popular global sport than american football. In 20, maybe 25 years, I wouldn't be suprised to see basketball almost on the same level of soccer globally. And from what i've heard, there's been a HUGE boom in popularity in Asia regarding basketball the last 5 years.

NoSense
05-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah me too, with Prospects popping up everywhere like Cuba (lately) and all over, and fans following home country players they tend to follow baseball it may get close to soccer, but basketball won't get close.

Completely disagree. Basketball reaches out to the entire world period. Baseball appeals to a small number of countries. When you take a look at the international competitions, basketball is way ahead in terms of "globalized game" than baseball.

And I don't think that basketball will ever reach the popularity of soccer. Soccer has a global tradition that basketball is just scratching. I mean even in the US, soccer is slowly growing (as far as men soccer goes), but things are changing. You won't see anytime soon a NBA star (let's say Bryant) going to the Euroleague like Beckam did when he came to the LA Galaxy.

pippsux
05-17-2009, 11:13 AM
No chance!
Soccer is religious to the rest of the world. People have killed, been killed and will continue to die because of football. National pride of all countries reaches levels of unfathomable highs for the fans of elite teams like Man U and Barcelona and of course at the World Cup held every 4 years, still the most watched event ever! I admit I don't get into soccer everyday like I used to, but when the World Cup comes around, not even sex, physical pain or hunger will stop me from watching.

I remember watching the 1994 world cup, the 2nd round match between Nigeria and Italy. Nigeria was leading with about 2 minutes to go, no member of my family could move, or even eat anything. Then we all watched in horror as Roberto Baggio and his fancy pony tail scored the equalizer and game winner in OT. I immediately had the most painful toothache I have ever had, my left side was numb and I spent the hole night crying in pain for two reasons. My tooth hurt and my team lost.

Now I love the rockets to the end, but the pain I feel when Nigeria wins and loses........is unmatched.

Ollie Tabooger
05-17-2009, 01:18 PM

:pity: :pity: :pity:

EX-TREME
05-17-2009, 02:08 PM
why not?

NoSense
05-17-2009, 06:13 PM
:pity: :pity: :pity:

Well you may disagree, but he's got a point. Baseball is one of the few sports you can still play at full capacity when you reach 45 years of age...

td0tsfinest
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Growing up for me, playing soccer was very accessible. All we needed was a ball, any kind.

But basketball was almost a luxury for me because there were no basketball rims around my neighbourhood. And when ever my building put up a rim, it would be down the next day cause of people jamming on it.

sciferguy
05-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Basketball is not even the #1 sport in its own country. Soccer is too dominant to overtake.

NotVeryOriginal
05-18-2009, 12:01 AM

Thats due to nutrution not genetics tho. Look at N. Korea, average height is 5'2. Then look at S. Korea where the avergae height is 5'8. These are the same people, just one country is 3rd world and the other has western standards of living.

TS, yeah but I the competition has to even up first. Nobody wants to see the same team winning over and over again, it creates an inside circleand the vast mojority excluded feel bitter. Just look at Rugby. The standard of play between the top 10 teams (NZ, Oz, RSA, Eng, Ire, Scot, Wales, France, Italy, Agrintinia) and the rest of the world is HUGE. Even Japan who are one of the better teams get destroyed anytime they play the big 10. Parity is the key. Its moving that way, and I think we could see it in our life times. Even if it doesnt over take wendyball itll be side by side with it.

No way. I love basketball but more people know how to play soccer than identify mcdonalds around the world. I think even hockey is more popular globally.

No it isnt. BBall is the 2nd most popular sport by participation on the planet.

Look up a bell curve....

The Bell curve has been debunked as racist BS for half a century

....because that's what height measurements are going to follow. If you notice, there will always be enormously fewer tall people. The taller the rarer.

Well using that logic (which is racist) then Africa has the tallest avg in the world, whice it doesnt...Holland does.

Thats why they are begging for 2018 WC?

lakerboy
05-18-2009, 12:05 AM
soccer is just as popular as basketball in china if not more...yao ming definitely brought in more fans...but still not close

Basketball is more popular in China. It's not even close

I don't know if basketball will ever surpass football. But if it does, it'll probably start in China, with a billion people and a fast growing economy.

NotVeryOriginal
05-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Sky Sports has really good NFL coverage. They have five Sunday games (two 1 ET games, to 4 ET games and the late one), every Monday night game, every Thursday game (including all the Thanksgiving games), every Saturday night game, every play-off game (including the Superbowl) and the Pro-bowl. The ratings have been rising as the coverage has grown over the years and got quite high, then rose by 40% or something after the first Wembley game.

I think Sky Sports get more games than any American channel, which is quite impressive, although they don't have any real contender's over here like the American companies do...

EDIT: I forgot to actually answer the question :p Yeah, it costs a little extra for Sky Sports, it's just a package added to the Sky digital, I'm not sure how much it is, but my mum has it so I watch a ton of it when I'm home :p

You forgot free-to-air TV... :p BBC get the SB and Wembley games, and that they are looking for highlight packages with the new deal this year. Channel 5 used to have MNF but theyve lost it. I think ESPN America is trying to outbid SkySports for the NFL rights this year, thats why a deal hasnt been annouced yet.

Back to BBall...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNA4GkVVHCQ&feature=related

:eyebrow:

[/B]
The reason it won't is because anyone anywhere can play soccer it is cheap. All you need is something to kick around. Basketball requires a basket to shoot at which is too expensive for many people around the world. Kids play soccer just saying the goal is between these to sticks or chairs or trash cans whatever is around. So I would say with those restrictions basketball isn't as widely played. I realize basketball is very popular in poorer areas of the US but thats because we already have public courts all over the place and I don't see these countries building courts.

Actually all you need is a ball (even a football is bouncy enough) a hard surface and a hole (window, shopping trolly, ect). And as for the 2nd one, theres a bballcourth within stones throw of me on the estate, theres two at the end of the road in a park and theres one within a gym with all the seating within 5 mins walk.

The reason wendyball is biggest and Bball isnt is because Britain pushed theculture all over its empire for hundreds whereas America was mostly isolationist with its culture until about 50 years ago.

^if Mls accepted resto of the world rules...wich mean NO SALARY CAP; NO DRAFT , FREE MARKET.

and paid enough bucks you could have the strongest league in the world.

No salary cap is ****ing BS. Yoau get teams like Scum U who buy championships. Im glad that theres finally a discussion in europe for a salary cap.

Cricket = Snnnnzzzzz

The only country at actually cares is India. They pay the Oz team or the England team millions to play them and the only people that go to stadiums are toffs. Cricket is worse than Baseball x Darts + Curling

REAL football!

A sport where you touch the ballwith your foot 5% of the game?

LOL, they arent pushing nothing. People are watching so they put more out to get $$$, thats how TV works. Thats how Manning made 30m lastyear.

montazingmvp
05-18-2009, 05:00 AM

montazingmvp
05-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Basketball is more popular in China. It's not even close

I don't know if basketball will ever surpass football. But if it does, it'll probably start in China, with a billion people and a fast growing economy.

unless you are chinese, why are you so sure of that?

Cromedome
05-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Since I live in the U.S.A ... me and many of my fellow Americans feel that soccer is a joke.

montazingmvp
05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Since I live in the U.S.A ... me and many of my fellow Americans feel that soccer is a joke.

cool story