PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Schafer - Plan B

bigmj
05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
We are now 32 games into the Schafer experiment, he is batting .217 with as many walks as hits 23 each, his strikeout total is at 43 (almost 2:1 verses walks).
We are not getting to see the speed he can flash, but I attribute much of that to Bobby Cox and the coaching staff's reluctance to run.
He does have a 1.000 fielding percentage and one assist.

Is it time to go a different direction in CF, and send him to the minors to work on hitting, or being a .500 ball club do they just stick with the kid and hope he comes out of this hitting slump???

I am leaning towards the minors for Schafer, and note I thought he should have started the season in the minors before the year started.

baseballislife7
05-12-2009, 09:11 AM
The only problem is who do we replace him with? Blanco-he is hitting .220 in AAA. I think Schafer should sit a game or two, to clear his head and do some work in some side sessions. Glove is great, starting to learn he can't catch everything. Once he stops pressing he will become a better player. I think he will begin to hit sooner than later, just needs to make a few small adjustments. Take a little of that dip out of his swing and he should start getting on top of the ball a bit more.

Brave4life
05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
The only problem is who do we replace him with? Blanco-he is hitting .220 in AAA. I think Schafer should sit a game or two, to clear his head and do some work in some side sessions. Glove is great, starting to learn he can't catch everything. Once he stops pressing he will become a better player. I think he will begin to hit sooner than later, just needs to make a few small adjustments. Take a little of that dip out of his swing and he should start getting on top of the ball a bit more.

omar infante who has played cf

baseballislife7
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
^So you are prepared to run Infante out their for an extended period of time and send Schafer down? I think if Infante had to play a bunch in CF he would be hung out to dry. I feel comfortable with Infante giving Schafer a day or two off, I have been saying that all year, but I don't think Infante would be a good answer for an extended period in CF. Just my opinion. Only played a handful of games in CF, his offense would be great but I don't know if he could cover the ground needed, maybe when Lowe is pitching. Schafer has saved us some bases in the field. He gets such a great jump on the ball and just makes some plays look easier than they should. Bobby Cox was stated as saying he knew Schafer would struggle in the majors, and anything they got from him on offense was a plus. Just give him some days off.

uncblue2332
05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
^So you are prepared to run Infante out their for an extended period of time and send Schafer down? I think if Infante had to play a bunch in CF he would be hung out to dry. I feel comfortable with Infante giving Schafer a day or two off, I have been saying that all year, but I don't think Infante would be a good answer for an extended period in CF. Just my opinion. Only played a handful of games in CF, his offense would be great but I don't know if he could cover the ground needed, maybe when Lowe is pitching. Schafer has saved us some bases in the field. He gets such a great jump on the ball and just makes some plays look easier than they should. Bobby Cox was stated as saying he knew Schafer would struggle in the majors, and anything they got from him on offense was a plus. Just give him some days off.

Jordan needs to go on the DL to give his wrist some rest...that is a big reason why he is struggling. He has proved he isnt ready even with a strong wrist he needs time in AAA. That being said..I think Omar Infante could do well. His bat has been strong and we can bring up gregor in shafers spot on the roster and have gregor back up omar when needed.

Coach100
05-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Infante probably isn;t an everyday CF, so Schafer kind of has to stay up. But a few days off would do him good.

He doesn'st stay on the ball well at all. He strides towards 1B instead of at the pitcher. He also drops his back shoulder. So he can't hit high pitches and he can't hit pitches away. That's a bad combination. He needs to shorten his swing and change his stride. I don't think those are small changes. So he may need the minors, but the Braves look to be without a better option.

So here is my vote - send him down and bring up Blanco. No offense to Blanco, but stunting his growth is less harmful to the organization as a whole. Shafer is he futer in CF and the Braves are served best by keeping him on track and progressing. If Blanco struggles, who cares? It won't be any worse than Schafer right now. Give Schafer at least till the All-Star Break to fix some things and gain some confidence back. If Blanco does well, give Schafer all year at AAA. Just seems like the best thing for Schafer/ATL long term.

rtgthree
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm with Coach on this one. Schafer is struggling badly, and before we let him get into a Jeff Francoeur-style death spiral, we need to send him back to Gwinnett to work on some things. That is NOT--repeat, NOT--a denouncement of Schafer's talent or potential. I still think he's the next Grady Sizemore--just he's not there yet. His last 25 games, he's hitting .175/.340/.238, for a .578 OPS. Now I know Gregor Blanco isn't doing so well at Triple-A, but I think even he can perform at that level. Plus Mark Bowman said a demotion would be bad for Blanco's mental state, so there's reason to believe that a promotion would do him some good.

Either way, if I'm going to have a center fielder spinning his wheels in the bigs, I'd rather it be Blanco (who's a spare part and whose development doesn't really matter) than Schafer (who needs to develop correctly for the sake of the franchise).

baseballislife7
05-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Bobby won't even give him a day off, let alone send him to the minors. I agree w/you guys that Schafer needs a confidence boost, but how long do you think Bobby waits to get this done?

runningcircles
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I've got to agree with Coach and RTG here. First let me address those who are suggesting we should play Infante as our full time CF. Infante is NOT an everyday CF. Having Infante and Garrett Anderson in left and center field, would be an absolute detriment to a team TRYING to learn to win with good sound pitching, base to base hitting, and good team defense. I know everyone is excited about the great start Infante is off to, especially since he's been doing it out of the leadoff spot, and while I do agree with everybody that the guy is a very sound hitter at the plate, if he's playing as an every day starter, trying to learn to be an everyday CF defensively, those numbers are going to drop in a hurry. I mean, let's be honest guys, the sample size is large enough to know what to expect from Infante, he's been in the majors since 2002. There is a reason that he's a CAREER .263 hitter and there's also a reason why he's only had two seasons in which he's played more than 100 games, and only one season in which he's had over 500 AB's. In 2004, Infante played in 142 games, piling up 503 AB's, and finished the year with a .264 (right at his career average) average, and a .317 on base percentage (.307 career OBP). The following season he played in 121 games for Detroit, racking up just over 400 AB's (406), but he was only able to hit .222 with a .254 OBP for the year. Infante is not some top prospect that we are waiting to give his turn too, he's a nice pinch hitter option who has the skills to play a lot of different positions defensively, and can hit the daylights out of left handed pitching.

nps6724
05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll fourth the opinion that Infante is not an everyday option for CF. I personally believe he should be starting 4-5 times out of every 7 games at SOME position until he shows he can't do well doing that. For the season+ he's been with us, he has been excellent. And with Infante able to play so many positions and with so many guys who could use periodic days off due to injuries or struggles (Chipper, GA, Schafer, KJ), I think it's doable. Personally, I think we should be give Chipper 1 day off per week just to let him rest and hopefully that would limit his injuries. And with GA having leg issues and Infante hitting both lefties and righties well, he can spell GA without much dropoff production-wise and I'm sure GA could use 1 day off per week. Then you have KJ who is struggling against righties right now, so you could platoon he and Infante and get Omar 2 starts a week at 2B. And if Schafer continues to struggle and needs a day off, Infante can take a game out in CF.

runningcircles
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Forgot to touch on the Schafer situation much. I'd like to see Bobby give Schafer a day off, either prior to, or directly after, an off day, to give Jordan a full day away from baseball, and another day watching the team play. Depending on how sore Schafer's wrist is, and how our opposing rotations are set for the week (wondering out loud if we have any back to back games against left handed starters coming up), perhaps we can give him 3 days away from live game action. Also, depending on how Infante performs in CF, maybe we can let Schafer get back to playing, spelling him once a week or so against the tough left handed pitchers, with Omar, until Schafer gets out of this awful slump he's been in since the first week of the season ended.

As for Blanco, I only bring him up if none of the days off seem to affect Schafer's contact at the plate. I think the strikeouts are the most alarming statistic, when referring to Schafer's struggles, because it's not like he's really working the count and then missing a pitch here and there, he's CONSTANTLY sitting in an 0-1, 0-2 count, and it doesn't seem like he's ever caught looking, he just always seems to swing an miss. The one negative about bringing Blanco up is that I feel like Schafer has been a much better defensive CF than Blanco was last year. I'm not saying Gregor was making errors left and right in centerfield last season, and he is OBVIOUSLY a much better option defensively than Infante, but a lot more goes in to playing CF than not making errors. Blanco didn't seem to get as good of jumps off the ball as Schafer does, his arm strength wasn't even in the same stratosphere as Schafer's is, and he just didn't look as comfortable out there as JS does this season. The positive is that you can let Schafer get healthy and work on his swing in a less pressure packed environment than the major leagues. Remember, Schafer hasn't even been tested at the AAA level yet, it could always do him some good. Also, like RTG and Coach have already mentioned, while Schafer has a chance to become a vastly important piece to our future lineup, Blanco is just a backup, or a part time player, a "spare part", for lack of a better word. Also, Blanco proved that he could hit as well in the leadoff spot as he could in the 8 hole last season. He didn't seem to ever got on base via the walk, but he also didn't strike out in even the same neighborhood as Schafer has so far, so at least he wasn't a wasted out every time through the lineup. He seemed to be a pretty good bunter and did a decent job of doing the little things right, that a player needs to emphasize doing when things aren't going well at the plate.

nps6724
05-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I think the strikeouts are the most alarming statistic, when referring to Schafer's struggles, because it's not like he's really working the count and then missing a pitch here and there, he's CONSTANTLY sitting in an 0-1, 0-2 count, and it doesn't seem like he's ever caught looking, he just always seems to swing an miss.

And it's on straight fastballs. He's not getting fooled by sliders and curves and changeups. Pitchers are just rearing back and throwing it and he can't catch up to it.

bigmj
05-12-2009, 12:05 PM
And it's on straight fastballs. He's not getting fooled by sliders and curves and changeups. Pitchers are just rearing back and throwing it and he can't catch up to it.

Glad to know I am not the only one that has been noticing that. He is getting mowed down by straight fastballs.

atl_braves_fan
05-12-2009, 12:06 PM
omar infante who has played cf

No thank you. Omar Infante had enough trouble playing left field last year. I think I would keep the slap hitting utility infielders as slap hitting utility infielders.

atl_braves_fan
05-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Glad to know I am not the only one that has been noticing that. He is getting mowed down by straight fastballs.

There is no question that he is overmatched right now, but as long as there is no better option, you may as well let him learn on the job. Very few rookies burst onto the scene with no learning curve. I predict that he will improve over the course of the season and will have a long and productive big-league career.

atl_braves_fan
05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Also, it's not really fair to say he is an automatic out ... he does have a .360 OBP (which is only slightly less than Infante whose OBP is artificially high due to an early season BA that is approximately 70 points higher than his career BA).

atl_braves_fan
05-12-2009, 12:14 PM
double post

Jon93405
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
What I want to see, and what I've wanted since Andruw left, is to trade with the Angels for Reggie Willits. He could be our everyday CF, our leadoff man, shouldn't cost much and if Schafer turns it around, Reggie could serve as a solid 4th outfielder.

In 584 career ab's in MLB, Reggie has a .272 AVG and a .378 OBP. He's a career .301/.396 minor league hitter too. 135 SB's in the minors and 33 in MLB. He's just currently rotting on the Angels bench with 1 AB after hitting .250/.358 in AAA during 70 AB's, showing he still has the plate discipline and a trade to a team willing to start him could give him a real boost to perform.

The Angels have Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, Gary Matthews Jr and Juan Rivera in their OF already. If they do have need for another OFer they would probably move Figgens out there and let Brandon Wood take over the 3B job before they gave Willits a shot.

Willits could increase his trade value by the end of the season and we could get back more than we paid for him.

ATLKoos16
05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I like the idea of Willits. He is from a town about 30 minutes from where I live. He came and worked with me and my team two years ago with a guy named steven shell from el reno where i'm from who was in the Angels organizationa at that time. He would be a good pickup. But i personally think Schafer needs just a few days off and he would look better at the plate.

Coach100
05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Willits is an interesting idea. Kind of makes me wonder if people have inquired and the Angels had a high price tag......

rtgthree
05-12-2009, 04:40 PM
There is no question that he is overmatched right now, but as long as there is no better option, you may as well let him learn on the job.

It's not that simple though. Learning on the job is a lot harder than learning before the job. The Braves don't need him at the major-league level, and let's face it, ANYONE is a better option than Schafer right now. At least let Blanco or Brian Barton try their hand so that, if nothing else, you can see what they have to offer and maybe increase their trade value a little. Schafer gets another month to six weeks in the minors to work on things, Blanco or Barton gets a chance to show what they can do in the bigs...what's wrong there?

Also, it's not really fair to say he is an automatic out ... he does have a .360 OBP (which is only slightly less than Infante whose OBP is artificially high due to an early season BA that is approximately 70 points higher than his career BA).

His OBP is still high because he's still getting credit for his early walks in the first week or so (when he was walking all the time). His BABIP is still .362 and falling, so his batting average is going to keep going down even from .225. With no power, it's hard to imagine how Blanco could do worse.

For the millionth time, I'll emphasize that I still see a long successful career for Jordan, but there's no need for it to start now.

Vinny642
05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
the NL deserves DH. Stupid rule. And I hate the rule of the all star game. But Schafer just need to re-evaluate his swing and learn more. Give him time, he'll learn.

atl_braves_fan
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
The Braves don't need him at the major-league level, and let's face it, ANYONE is a better option than Schafer right now. At least let Blanco or Brian Barton try their hand so that, if nothing else, you can see what they have to offer and maybe increase their trade value a little.

I don't know how you can assume that this is true. At least Schafer has the promise that things will get better. Admittedly, I don't know that much about Brian Barton, but he is hitting .230/.284/.262 and Gregor Blanco is hitting .220/.299/.285 - both in AAA. How does that necessarily make them better options than the .217/.357/340 that Schafer is hitting in Atlanta?

rtgthree
05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know how you can assume that this is true. At least Schafer has the promise that things will get better. Admittedly, I don't know that much about Brian Barton, but he is hitting .230/.284/.262 and Gregor Blanco is hitting .220/.299/.285 - both in AAA. How does that necessarily make them better options than the .217/.357/340 that Schafer is hitting in Atlanta?

Because using Schafer's overall line misrepresents the performance he's giving you right now. And looking at his BABIP, things are going to continue to get worse before they get better. But that's not even the most important thing: what matters more is the potential long-term implications of keeping Schafer up and stunting his development. In the big leagues, it's hard to learn on the fly and there is constant pressure to perform. Getting him out of the spotlight will let him step back and work on some things in a low-pressure environment...that could be absolutely crucial to making sure that he does eventually become the star we all think he will be.

In the meantime, you play Blanco or Barton, both of whom are struggling at AAA, but who both have track records of major-league success, and who can both at least try to cover for a few weeks. If they play well, you can afford Schafer more time to work in the minors, and you've got yourself a nice little spare piece that you can count on. If they don't play well, then you sit on them for just a few weeks (during which time they are likely giving you at least as much as Schafer would anyway) and bring Schafer back for June.

Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but one of my biggest fears in baseball is rushing prospects, and I fear that's what we're doing to Schafer. In my mind, it's worth it to take a little hit in performance at the ML level (and I don't think the hit would even be significant, if it happens at all) in order to ensure the safety of Schafer's progression.

thewupk
05-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Because using Schafer's overall line misrepresents the performance he's giving you right now. And looking at his BABIP, things are going to continue to get worse before they get better.

That's true if he still K's at the absurdly high rate that he has been. Striking out less would help his batting average out even when his BABIP normalizes. But it's a game of adjustments. He started out. Had a 6 game stretch where he struckout 13 times and was just pathetic. He rebounded with an excellent 10 game stretch and is currently in a 9 game funk. I'd give him another month. If no adjustments have been made and he's still awful then make a move.

flea
05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
the NL deserves DH. Stupid rule.
Leave these forums, baseball fans are talking here.

iamaj
05-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I was actually in favor of giving Gregor the job in spring training and maybe bringing Jordan along mid-season. My logic being that Jordan could learn a bit more, and even if he was ready, waiting 3-4 months wasn't going to erode his talent (it might have even built his confidence if he slaughtered AAA pitching). I'll admit that after the first week I rescinded, and I apparently jumped the gun. I doubt Blanco will do worse than Schafer has been doing (it would be quite a feat of ineptitude), and the call up might be the spark he needs to rise above his AAA numbers. I'm sure he was disheartened to lose the job in ST.

I don't know if Schafer just needs to be inactive so he can heal or time away so he can refocus. All I know is that it's not working right now. He'll still get a few walks tossed his way as some will consider the pitcher to be a surer out, but it won't accurately display his willingness to take a pitch.

As for DH in the NL...no.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I'll give Schafer credit, he takes a lot of pitches. I've been watching him more closely and a lot of his walks are just due to patience and a good eye. If only he could hit a damn fastball because he lays off breaking pitches out of the zone for the most part.

iamaj
05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I only catch a few games here and there (rest on GameCast), but has Jordan completely given up on trying to bunt to get on? If so, he needs to embrace it again. If he can't hit a fastball swinging, maybe he can just hold his bat out, knock it toward the 3B, and use his speed to get on.

nps6724
05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I only catch a few games here and there (rest on GameCast), but has Jordan completely given up on trying to bunt to get on? If so, he needs to embrace it again. If he can't hit a fastball swinging, maybe he can just hold his bat out, knock it toward the 3B, and use his speed to get on.

I think I've only seen him attempt a basehit bunt once and he made it.

iamaj
05-13-2009, 10:34 AM
He's got blazing speed, yet he and/or Bobby shelve a tactic that plays to his specific skill set? That's frustrating.

He strikes out in almost half his ABs (43/109), so why not try to bunt? I'd rather see him be out 43/109 times on a bang-bang call than swinging and missing. Anything can happen if he lays down a bunt. Especially against the Mets and God's Gift to Baseball, Wright, who would likely loft a throw to first into the stands, then receive an early Gold Glove (why even vote for the award? I demand it be placed on his doorstep on Opening Day every year!) the next day because he's "like so oh my God" awesome.

Anyway, surely bunting wouldn't put too much strain on Jordan's hurt wrist. Hell, since he's LH, he could pull it toward first and beat it out. That would create havoc that I, for one, would love to see (whenever Braves' games are actually broadcast down here, that is).

THE_FLASH_21
05-13-2009, 01:18 PM
There is no question that he is overmatched right now, but as long as there is no better option, you may as well let him learn on the job. Very few rookies burst onto the scene with no learning curve. I predict that he will improve over the course of the season and will have a long and productive big-league career.

Yeah ur right . This should be a learning process.. He just needs more work on hitting fastballs. When he swings he trys to hit everything out of the park.
He's not that big. at 200 pounds to try to hit everything out of the park. He's young he'll learn and catch up. He's only 22. Not everyone can be Andruw Jones :D

nps6724
05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Not everyone can be Andruw Jones :D

Thank God. Too much wasted talent with AJ.

iamaj
05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
And I still don't believe Schafer is 22. He looks like he just got old enough to drive last month or so.

jmtapia
05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Thank God. Too much wasted talent with AJ.

somehow i wish we had a young 22 year old AJ in CF right now...

nps6724
05-13-2009, 01:39 PM
22-year old AJ actually cared. I'm not sure when he stopped, but it was pretty evident by the lack of hustle on the bases and the nonchalance he displayed every time he K'ed in a clutch AB.

Jon93405
05-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Todd Redmond for Reggie Willits. Someone tell Frank Wren.

I mean, the Angels have Darren Oliver as their 5th starter right now.

STOP HOGGING YOUR CF LA!!!

nps6724
05-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Todd Redmond for Reggie Willits. Someone tell Frank Wren.

I mean, the Angels have Darren Oliver as their 5th starter right now.

STOP HOGGING YOUR CF LA!!!

By 2011, we'll have traded for all the LA Angels.

Coach100
05-14-2009, 02:14 PM
If Willits is wasting away, try Jo-Jo and BJ. Both of them are expendable and give the Angels back a #4 OF and a #5 starter.

Maybe Jo-Jo would stink less somewhere else......(like AAA)

atl_braves_fan
05-14-2009, 02:35 PM
^^ Is Willits really that good? His stats are not overly impressive and he is 27 years old.

samanjerry
05-24-2009, 02:11 PM
We all hoped Jordan would have a decent start to the season but obviously his offense isnt cutting it. i dont read many people wanting to sit him, im guessing yall want to give him more time? well i'd like to see someone who can hit the ball a little better than jordan does (not stirke out as much either).

Who could the braves bring up in place of Jordan? or do you think his D is too good and over rides his offense?

BRAVE KID
05-24-2009, 02:20 PM
If infante was healthy, I wouldn't mind schafer sitting for a game or two but since he isn't just going to have to deal with it.

Nobody plays better defense in CF than schafer on our club, Cox already knew schafer would struggle but as long as he would play good D then he would keep sending him out there. Schafer is not going anywhere unless he sucks at D.

CrippledRam
05-24-2009, 02:47 PM
^^ Is Willits really that good? His stats are not overly impressive and he is 27 years old.

He got hurt in '08 and hasn't got solid PT since.

rtgthree
05-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I can stick with Schafer for a few more weeks, but there has to be a point where the Braves say enough is enough, for the sake of both the team and the young center fielder.

Saltyfan
05-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I disagree with sending Schafer down. Honestly he is progressing and is starting to make consistant contact. I can handle a yound CF rookie going out and struggling especially when he is playing GREAT defense.

The problem is the lack of power from the corner spots. Not to mention Anderson's defense.

Schafer is one hot streak away from catching up with Frenchy and Anderson in hitting. But as long as he is putting out the great D, we all know Bobby is going to keep him up.

rtgthree
05-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I disagree with sending Schafer down. Honestly he is progressing and is starting to make consistant contact. I can handle a yound CF rookie going out and struggling especially when he is playing GREAT defense.

The problem is the lack of power from the corner spots. Not to mention Anderson's defense.

Schafer is one hot streak away from catching up with Frenchy and Anderson in hitting. But as long as he is putting out the great D, we all know Bobby is going to keep him up.

Yeah but here's the thing: he's NOT playing great defense. His UZR is negative, meaning he's playing below-average defense right now, costing the Braves about six runs per 150 games. Schafer may be "one hot streak away from catching up with Frenchy and Anderson," but that ain't exactly a thing to be proud of, unfortunately. I'm willing to see what he can do for a few more weeks but if he doesn't turn around soon, a demotion will be good for him AND the team.

nps6724
05-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm surprised Schafer's defense is on the negative side. It seems like he's been doing pretty well. I wonder if he did so bad during those first few weeks when he kept getting burnt that he's still making up those runs.

rtgthree
05-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm surprised Schafer's defense is on the negative side. It seems like he's been doing pretty well. I wonder if he did so bad during those first few weeks when he kept getting burnt that he's still making up those runs.

Even if he was horrible during those first few weeks, he likely would have made up that ground by now if he was playing significantly above average, just by the sheer number of games. You may be right to some extent that he's been climbing out of a hole from Day 1, but I think it's risky to say that his defense alone is a reason to keep him in the bigs. If defense was just an "auxiliary" piece, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but the argument here is effectively "should we keep Schafer up because of his defense?" And the answer is a resounding no.

nps6724
05-25-2009, 12:24 PM
That's been Bobby's reasoning from Day 1. His defense is primary, any offense is gravy. But really, Blanco proved he could play defense just as well last year so why not use him for "all defense, no offense" role and let Schafer continue to develop? Especially after Schafer has struggled so much. Do they think Jordan's D is that much better than Blanco's? Or are they just scared to send him down now?

rtgthree
05-25-2009, 12:28 PM
^^^Amen, nps. I've been saying that since spring training. At this point, I'd have to say that Brian Barton has bypassed Blanco, but the point is the same. Why are we risking Schafer's development for poor production? If Blanco and/or Barton flame out, we really don't care...no skin off our nose. But if Schafer gets messed up...well, I don't want to imagine that.

nps6724
05-25-2009, 12:29 PM
And you'd think they would know first-hand due to a certain RF with the same problem.

uncblue2332
05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
especially considering frenchy was batting .256 in AA when he was called up.......look how the mighty have fallen

hootdog
05-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Give Schafer 2 days off in a row ,let him clear his head.Put Diaz in center for those 2 games. Schafer has lost his focus, he's swinging at EVERYTHING. T.P. can work him on the side , Then come back.

nps6724
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Give Schafer 2 days off in a row ,let him clear his head.Put Diaz in center for those 2 games. Schafer has lost his focus, he's swinging at EVERYTHING. T.P. can work him on the side , Then come back.

...and pray to God nothing is hit to CF.

ATLKoos16
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
They need to get rid of Norton so they can call up either Blanco or Barton. Then they would have somebody to back up Schafer and give him a day off when he needs one. Norton has not played the field once this year, and isnt getting hits when he pinch hits.

baseballislife7
05-27-2009, 10:11 AM
They need to DFA Norton and bring up Barbaro C.

uncblue2332
05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Barbaro will be the same as Norton...pinch hitter who cant play the field....barbaro doesn't even have a position outside of DH that would be an atrocious call up. If we call up anyone it will be an OF by the name of either Brian Barton or Gregor Blanco. Barbaro wont get called up give it up

nps6724
05-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I think the point is if we are going to have a guy who doesn't play the field at all, might as well have a guy with some pop instead of Norton who has...a nice 5 o'clock goattee.

uncblue2332
05-27-2009, 10:45 AM
but thats the thing barbaro projects as a hitter like yunel...will have contact but little power and coming off the bench for a pinch hit isnt an ideal situation for a contact hitter who needs more than 1 ab every 3-4 games

nps6724
05-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I thought Barbaro was one of our farm guys who is all power and nothing else. My mistake. Just release Norton and bring up whoever. They can't do less or worse.

uncblue2332
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
considering he hit 1 hr in 504 ab in AAA last year and his power rating is a 59 I doubt he can translate to a power hitter in the majors.

Here a couple of links about him

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Barbaro-Canizares.shtml
http://www.talkingchop.com/2009/4/28/856583/first-ever-prospect-spotlight

The second article shows how little power he has it is a great read too