PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard is overrated.

Tick
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
When you look at the great big men in NBA history and then look at Dwight Howard there's a big difference. Guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal and even David Robinson are all way better offensive players than D-12. Howard is a great rebounder and defender but until he gets a consistent offensive game he will never be mentioned with the great big men in NBA history. In my eyes Howard is a star but he's definitely not a superstat. Not even close.

Joshtd1
05-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Hope I dont get bashed for saying this, but I agree. As good as a rebounder/shot blocker he is, I've thought he has gotten overrated by people.

LayZbone
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
He's an athletic freak

Wilson
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I think he has the ability to be a great offensive player, he's just too mild mannered. He needs to realise that demanding the ball and looking for his offense won't make him a bad teammate, it's what his team needs.

I think I agree, but I do think he has the potential to finish his career amongst those names...

Tick
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
He's an athletic freak

So was Shawn Kemp.

Joshtd1
05-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I think he has the ability to be a great offensive player, he's just too mild mannered. He needs to realise that demanding the ball and looking for his offense won't make him a bad teammate, it's what his team needs.

I think I agree, but I do think he has the potential to finish his career amongst those names...

Eh..not sure if I agree with that, but its because he really doesnt have an offensive game. I really dont think at this point in his career, he is the kind of person you can constantly give it to and expect him to score constantly.

Mrphilly
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but was Bill Russel a great offensive player, or Alonzo Morning. Howard plays on a team where they rather fire 3 pointers than dump it down to the Big man. That is why they can never hold a lead. Bynum is overrated, Howard is right on Schedule to be the best big man in the game, Especially since Yao has glass feet!!!!

FOBolous
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Yao Ming > Dwight Howard

what54!?
05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Eh..not sure if I agree with that, but its because he really doesnt have an offensive game. I really dont think at this point in his career, he is the kind of person you can constantly give it to and expect him to score constantly.howard does a lot of offensive moves shaq did/does. The problem is he doesn't demand the ball. Shaq has a lot of spin moves, hookshots, etc, (that doesn't mean he had a great skill set) but he demanded and had the mentality that he was gonna dominiate the game (which he did) When Howard finally gains that mentality, watch out.

NYstateofMinD
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Um, was Bill Russel overrated?

what54!?
05-11-2009, 10:57 PM
yeah not all great big men have to offensively dominate to be considered great

Wilson
05-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Eh..not sure if I agree with that, but its because he really doesnt have an offensive game. I really dont think at this point in his career, he is the kind of person you can constantly give it to and expect him to score constantly.

There's probably some truth to that. When he focuses though, he can get such great position to where he can shoot a high percentage.

GspLAL
05-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Different era's?

tbron
05-11-2009, 11:01 PM
anyone who feels like that is a fool.

bostncelts34
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Well Tick, where as i think 99.9% of the time, you make us celtics fans look bad...i do have to agree with this for the most part.

Dwight has no offensive skill set. Now that big perk is covering him, it elimates alot of his offensive rebounds, not all, but alot. the only points this guy ever gets is off wide open dunks and a few put backs.

NYtilIdie
05-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah a little bit. He doesn't really have a post up game he just muscles his way to the basket and dunks it his whole career is based off dunks and those can only get you so far before teams are able to stop you. Once he develops his post up game he will be considered one of the top big men to ever play the game.

op12
05-11-2009, 11:19 PM
right now his offense is limited but i think he will develop into a great C on both ends. shaq was somewhat limited when he 1st came in too. dwight needs a little consistent hook and maybe a face up baseline jumper. i think the spin and power is there.

what54!?
05-11-2009, 11:21 PM
right now his offense is limited but i think he will develop into a great C on both ends. shaq was somewhat limited when he 1st came in too. dwight needs a little consistent hook and maybe a face up baseline jumper. i think the spin and power is there.
exactly howard hasn't reached his prime yet

BH-Sports
05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
atleast his ft% is better than shaqs

Ni55anpat
05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I actually thought about this today. He is not a SUPER star yet.

superkegger
05-11-2009, 11:30 PM
He's not dominant offensively, so what? When has anyone ever said he's an all time great center? He's 23 for goodness sake. So he's not polished offensively, yet he still finds a way to score 20 ppg, and controls the paint defensively. How many other Centers in the league can do what he does?

Frrrrank!!!
05-11-2009, 11:33 PM
He's not dominant offensively, so what? When has anyone ever said he's an all time great center? He's 23 for goodness sake. So he's not polished offensively, yet he still finds a way to score 20 ppg, and controls the paint defensively. How many other Centers in the league can do what he does?

:nod:

Tick
05-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Well Tick, where as i think 99.9% of the time, you make us celtics fans look bad...i do have to agree with this for the most part.

Dwight has no offensive skill set. Now that big perk is covering him, it elimates alot of his offensive rebounds, not all, but alot. the only points this guy ever gets is off wide open dunks and a few put backs.

What have I done to make Celtics fans look bad? Complaining about the officiating is the only thing I can even think of that would make you say that. I get emotional. I'm a diehard Celtics fan. I went to 15 games the year before last when the Celtics lost 18 in a row. I'm not a bandwagon fan by any means. I went to an average of 10 games a year all through the Dino Radja, Adrain Griffin, Eric Williams days when the Celtics sucked so bad and watched the rest of the games on TV. I haven't missed a Celtics game in over 15 years man. I get into the games. I'll admit it but I don't think I make Celtics fans look bad 99.9% of the time.

Wilson
05-12-2009, 12:00 AM
What have I done to make Celtics fans look bad? Complaining about the officiating is the only thing I can even think of that would make you say that. I get emotional. I'm a diehard Celtics fan. I went to 15 games the year before last when the Celtics lost 18 in a row. I'm not a bandwagon fan by any means. I went to an average of 10 games a year all through the Dino Radja, Adrain Griffin, Eric Williams days when the Celtics sucked so bad and watched the rest of the games on TV. I haven't missed a Celtics game in over 15 years man. I get into the games. I'll admit it but I don't think I make Celtics fans look bad 99.9% of the time.

:laugh2: I wouldn't worry about it man...

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2009, 12:30 AM
When you look at the great big men in NBA history and then look at Dwight Howard there's a big difference. Guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal and even David Robinson are all way better offensive players than D-12. Howard is a great rebounder and defender but until he gets a consistent offensive game he will never be mentioned with the great big men in NBA history. In my eyes Howard is a star but he's definitely not a superstat. Not even close.

lol how is he overrated? does he not lead the league in rebs & blks? does he not always have a double double at the half? he is what he was crown "defensive player of the year" thats what he does. and yr bring up SHAQ who does the same things as dwight, or should i say score the same way. Shaq didnt develop that jump hook til 2001 in LA, which was what yr 8-9 for him? no won ever said dwight is a great offensive center like ewing,hakeem,yao,smits and admiral, he's trying to develop that but its hard when the coach allows turk and jj to take all the late shots.
you knock dwights offensive game yet he averages 20 just like them guys with better offensive skillsthat shows you how great he is and dumb this thread is

ps he's 23 lets not act like he's 33, if you dont think he's a superstar then you know nothing about basketball other than offensive highlights

Tick
05-12-2009, 12:32 AM
lol how is he overrated? does he not lead the league in rebs & blks? does he not always have a double double at the half? he is what he was crown "defensive player of the year" thats what he does. and yr bring up SHAQ who does the same things as dwight, or should i say score the same way. Shaq didnt develop that jump hook til 2001 in LA, which was what yr 8-9 for him? no won ever said dwight is a great offensive center like ewing,hakeem,yao,smits and admiral, he's trying to develop that but its hard when the coach allows turk and jj to take all the late shots.
you knock dwights offensive game yet he averages 20 just like them guys with better offensive skillsthat shows you how great he is and dumb this thread is

ps he's 23 lets not act like he's 33, if you dont think he's a superstar then you know nothing about basketball other than offensive highlights

Shaq was a way better offensive player his rookie season than Howard is now. He's not a game changing player at all. Good defender, great rebounder but not a superstar.

marlinsfan24
05-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Give it a few years, and this thought will NEVER cross your minds again.

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2009, 12:33 AM
and im sick of people saying perkins bothers dwight when his avgs are all normal lol, like its the dumbest crap i ever heard, the dude is taking of what 3 big bodies and they're all in foul trouble at halftime. wheres the problem?

Tick

If this thread is dumb than how come everyone agrees with me except you?

Joshtd1
howard does a lot of offensive moves shaq did/does. The problem is he doesn't demand the ball. Shaq has a lot of spin moves, hookshots, etc, (that doesn't mean he had a great skill set) but he demanded and had the mentality that he was gonna dominiate the game (which he did) When Howard finally gains that mentality, watch out.

Well he must do these moves in the games I never see him in, because I only see him do one of two moves in the games I do happen to catch him. Unless Dwight gets a bit more polished IMO, he wont ever truly dominate the game on the offensive game.

Tick
05-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah I just can't put him in the superstar category. Maybe the people who think Dwigh Howard is great are real young and never got to see Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing play. Those guys were great. Howard is more like Mutombo which isn't a bad thing but he needs to develop an offensive game badly.

GSW fan
05-12-2009, 12:57 AM
hello realist rocket

macc
05-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Yeah I just can't put him in the superstar category. Maybe the people who think Dwigh Howard is great are real young and never got to see Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing play. Those guys were great. Howard is more like Mutombo which isn't a bad thing but he needs to develop an offensive game badly.

No offense but this is one of the most ignorant threads I have ever seen. For a couple reasons.

Howard leads the NBA in block shots AND rebounds, at age 23. Howard is the YOUNGEST ever to 10,000 rebounds. That's EVER, fyi.

Other nba players are affraid to drive into the lane just from his presense alone. Watch your celtics drive into the lane then drive out just as fast because Howard is there.

At age 23 Howard is one of the best defenders ever.

Once again, he's only 23. Yes he doesn't have a complete offensive skill set, he'll develop it soon enough, he still averages 20+ points a game with a limited skill set, imagine when he reaches his prime in another 6-7 years.

Howard is an athletic freak with the capabilites to be the best Center ever. Look at Lebron James, he's an athletic freak as well but if you compare his skill set to a Kobe Bryant or even a Dwane Wade you'll see that both are better "skill" wise then Lebron. In time who knows if that will be the case.

You critisize a guy who hasn't even been in the league that long but has accomplished so much.

theuuord
05-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Howard leads the NBA in block shots AND rebounds, at age 23. Howard is the YOUNGEST ever to 10,000 rebounds. That's EVER, fyi.

i think you mean 5,000.
but yes.

nik.jd.aitken
05-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Kobe is overrated.

Lebron is overrated.

Yes, they are superstars, but the way people, TNT, this message board, talk you'd think they run the world.

magicbucs4eva
05-12-2009, 01:42 AM
this thred is dumb. all shaq does is dunk?? dwight does that just as good as shaq does but dwight dunks on more people haha. dwight is 23 so before people bash him remember that! he will be the best center ever!!

Two Gunz
05-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I agree. Maybe someday Howard will become great but right now he's just an athletic big man with no shot.

Joshtd1
05-12-2009, 01:58 AM
this thred is dumb. all shaq does is dunk?? dwight does that just as good as shaq does but dwight dunks on more people haha. dwight is 23 so before people bash him remember that! he will be the best center ever!!

Pretty bold. He needs a better offensive game before he is considered better then Wilt/Kareem/Ewings/Hakeem/Robinson.

Chronz
05-12-2009, 02:15 AM
He has a decent enough face up game, he really should demand the ball.

Unruly Fan
05-12-2009, 02:16 AM
I LOVE how everyone is labeling DHow as offensively challenged when in fact he averaged at least 20 ppg this season. I agree he does need to brush up on his offense but then again hes only TWENTY-THREE.

A few more fun facts...
- Lead the LEAGUE this season in Rebounding
- Lead the league this season blocked shots

Sorry... Overrated???

Sinattle
05-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Yao Ming > Dwight Howard

Healthy > Injured

DieselPowered32
05-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Dwight isn't overrated....the magic need to realise that they have to get the ball to him more, they need to play more inside out basketball. They should have a look at how the Lakers won those championships and how Kobe and co, just kept feeding the big man at every opportunity. Van Gundy needs to be Rafer Alston-ed

D Roses Bulls
05-12-2009, 02:27 AM
whoever made this thread is fing crazy..... howard is the best. i guess you dont watch him enough. if his team through him the ball enough and all would actually play th celtics like they cared this series would be done with. the magic are known for playing well only against GOOD teams

kEviN21
05-12-2009, 02:58 AM
How old is he?? How good were those guys when they were Dwights age?

ggg
05-12-2009, 03:14 AM
no he's not. he changes the game defensively more than anyone else that played center position.

Joshtd1
05-12-2009, 03:18 AM
no he's not. he changes the game defensively more than anyone else that played center position.

Have to disagree with you there.

JayW_1023
05-12-2009, 03:20 AM
He also lacks the natural feel for the game that other prep stars like Kobe, LeBron and KG have. He is still learning the game and his learning curve has been somewhat steep.

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2009, 03:28 AM
Shaq was a way better offensive player his rookie season than Howard is now. He's not a game changing player at all. Good defender, great rebounder but not a superstar.

not a "game changer"??????????????????????????? please tell me how a DPOY isnt a game changer? tell me that logic. you people act as if he avg 12 points no 22 13 3 and he's not a game changer ?

and just cause everyone agrees with you dont mean either of you are right. he provides the same things KG brought to the celtics except intensity. he's the best player over 6'8 ................and this thread is made? joke

enitialdee
05-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Dwight is no way overrated, he's on a one way street to greatness. Bynum, now that dude is overrated..

stouderose
05-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Kobe is overrated.

Lebron is overrated.

Yes, they are superstars, but the way people, TNT, this message board, talk you'd think they run the world.

and howd you come to this conclusion? because thats really dumb if you think lebron is over-rated

stouderose
05-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Pretty bold. He needs a better offensive game before he is considered better then Wilt/Kareem/Ewings/Hakeem/Robinson.

where is shaq? better offensively than all of them minus wilt

Vincent
05-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Howard is the best center in the league, or at least top 2 (Yao gets a mention).

I don't see how your not a superstar if your the best player in the league at your position.

MTar786
05-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Correct me if Im wrong, but was Bill Russel a great offensive player, or Alonzo Morning. Howard plays on a team where they rather fire 3 pointers than dump it down to the Big man. That is why they can never hold a lead. Bynum is overrated, Howard is right on Schedule to be the best big man in the game, Especially since Yao has glass feet!!!!

well,, bill was a much much better defender than d12.. so was Zo
and if d12 was a dominating offensive player then HIS team would rather give it to him than shoot the three's
AS much as id love to say d12 is elite.. it aint true
He's prob one of the best rebounders in history IMO.. but at this point in his career i'd say his offense is a lil worse than zo's and his d isnt as good as zo's either..
best case senario:
offense a little less thn shaq
Defense: alonzo mourning
rebounding: best of all time (MAYBE)

TheDiggler
05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Oh no. I wouldn't call him overrated. Call him overhypted I agree. How is that guy ? Give him time. Some guys need less or more time to find their play. Dwight went from PF to C. Now, he carries a franchise ... he already has great abilities, but yes ... his offensive game needs to get better and more variable.

NYstateofMinD
05-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Like a few people stated, he is averaging 20+ppg with a limited skill set on offense, and his team does not give him the ball most of the time. He is not the main option on Offense, they play a team game where everyone takes shots. On defense he leads the league in blocks and boards, and alters so many more shots. He even gets most of the opposing team's big men in foul trouble. How does he not alter the game?

Super.
05-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Maybe a little, but not really. he's young, and if he can ever develop a little jumper, he'll be that much deadlier

mitch91
05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
at first i agreed, but then as may other mentioned zo and russell didn't have the greatest offense, but i think he is probably the best centre at the moment though he doesn't really have that good of an offensive arsenal. he gets his point and boards because he is just so damn athletic, if he wishes to be even mentioned in the same breath as the great centers of past then he'l have to develop something as when he gets older he wont be able to rely on his athletics anymore

Unruly Fan
05-12-2009, 09:23 AM
He'll be deadlier yes, but thats why you have/ need teammates. I say he should stick to further improving his current game/ role as a dominant inside presence. Its the organizations job to find the right pieces to build around him.

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
He'll be deadlier yes, but thats why you have/ need teammates. I say he should stick to further improving his current game/ role as a dominant inside presence. Its the organizations job to find the right pieces to build around him.

exactly

PhillySportFan
05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I disagree, Dwight's little hook shots have impressed me in the playoffs. I think it's the Magic's offense that doesn't allow Dwight to shine. They pick n roll with him but end up always passing to another 3 point shooter instead of Dwight.

I'm no means a Magic fan but this thread seems like a snap decision thread over 1 game instead a career and thinking about his situation.

drobe86
05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Look at the stats son, they don't lie. And Yao ming is as soft as Charmin. If he is so good why is he always hurt?? Will he ever play a full 82? Will he ever quit getting blocked by guys like Nate Robinson (5'8)?? Yao Ming is the most overrated player in the NBA. Dwight Howard is a beast, and will get physical and deal with anyone in the paint. His team is garbage because all they do is shoot 3's.

BRADY4MVP
05-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I was actually just having this conversation with my buddy the other night....while I cant agree with everything that the first poster says, I do see where he is coming from.

do i think that dwight is really good? yea
but do i think that he is a superstar yet? no, on his way

his offensive game needs to be worked on. yea he puts up 20 points, but lets look at it:

his 2009 season averages: roughly 7-12 shooting, 6-11 free throws every game

so if you figure dunks/tip-in put backs account for 4-5 of his hoops, which i think is fair...then you see that 14-16 of his 20 ppg are from either the uncontested chairty stripe, or are dunks/put backs from within 5 feet.

now dont get me wrong, i know that this is basically what any center should do. but if howard actually had a better offensive game, THEN i would put him in the class of /hakeem/ewing/robinson etc. he needs to develop a better facing the basket game, because his freaky athleticism allows him to jump over everyone for hooks/rebounds/tips, but cant help him hit a 15 foot jumper.

the kid's young. for him, the sky is the limit--but if he doesnt improve his offensive game, he will be one of the best dunkers/rebounders of all-time, not one of the best big men

favre_4life
05-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Sorry guys but anyone who thinks Dwight Howard is overrated at the age of 23, is simply delusional. How can you not say he is not a superstar? No one drives the lane when he is there, how much more dominat can you be? Youngest player to get to 5,000 reboounds, averages a double double for a season, leads the league in rebounding and blocked shots. Yes, if those are the credentials of being overrated, then yes all of you are correct.

... about being wrong

theimortalone
05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Sorry guys but anyone who thinks Dwight Howard is overrated at the age of 23, is simply delusional. How can you not say he is not a superstar? No one drives the lane when he is there, how much more dominat can you be? Youngest player to get to 5,000 reboounds, averages a double double for a season, leads the league in rebounding and blocked shots. Yes, if those are the credentials of being overrated, then yes all of you are correct.

... about being wrong

Exactly! I have to agree. This thread is so dumb! :pity:

Tick = Epic fail!

drobe86
05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Thats the problem with the NBA. Everyone wants jumpshots. This ain't Europe. You're a center get your ***** in the paint and Dunk on somebody. Enough of this soft 15 foot crap. Be a beast. And thats what Dwight is. If he changes his game he will be Amare Stoudemire. You 7'0 and 270 pounds and you shootin jumpshots? Gimme a break. Back these fools down and keep turnin and Dunking on they heads. Forget what yall talkin about.

IndyRealist
05-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Dwight is a superstar right now, he's a top 2 center in a league devoid of big men. He is -not- even close to being considered on par with Hall of Famers until he gets at least 5 more years under his belt at this level. If someone says that Howard is better than Bill Russell when Howard's only been doing it for 1/3 the time, that's just silly.

And for the record, Alonzo Mourning averaged 20pts, 10rbs, 3blks for his first 8 years. He could spot up from 16ft, and had a ton of post moves. Had he never had the health issues, no one would be saying that he had "limited" offensive ability.

Miamifanatic
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM

How can you say that Shaq was limited when he first came into the league? Go look at his stats. He was an offensive machine!!!

Hawkeye15
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM

the age of the center is gone. Outside Yao, and I don't even consider him near the level of those you mentioned, there isn't a center in today's game that can compare to them. Dwight would have been a PF 15 years ago. But I agree with you 100%. He is not overrated for today's game, you can't help who you're competition is, but he should not go down as a top center of all time at this point. Not until he gets an offensive game outside simple power moves and dunks. Shaq had that game, but was so much bigger, it was unstoppable.

Hawkeye15
05-12-2009, 11:15 AM
It comes down to, there isn't a center playing who can compare to Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, etc. The age of the center is gone, or at least on hiatus. Its a guards game today with the no hand check rules, and bigs wanting to cast jumpers all night, thank you KG

ertanozgur
05-12-2009, 11:18 AM
i totally agree with you

Tmac,lt,berkman
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
no offense to dwight howard fans but he is overrated im not sayin he cant be one of the best he just has to devolop and control the paint more offensively if he could get a mid range jumper he would be one of the hardest players in the league to hold.

Tmac,lt,berkman
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
sorry guys but anyone who thinks dwight howard is overrated at the age of 23, is simply delusional. How can you not say he is not a superstar? No one drives the lane when he is there, how much more dominat can you be? Youngest player to get to 5,000 reboounds, averages a double double for a season, leads the league in rebounding and blocked shots. Yes, if those are the credentials of being overrated, then yes all of you are correct.

... About being wrong

i could be wrong but he got smashed on by chris paul !!!! Yao ming to!!!!!!!! Come on now

Master Mind
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM

I can't speak on Bill Russel he was before my time...

As a loyal Heat fan I can say Zo was more of an offensive threat than what people gave him credit for. Zo was excellent at using the jab step and he also had an affective enough jumper along with a solid running hook shot. Zo was a warrior on both ends of the court and that I can attest to....

Andre Bynum is not overrated, he's just been slowed down by injuries. The kid's young and I actaully like his offensive game for such a young pup. Once he can stay healthy and reach his potential he will be wreaking havoc for years to come...

As for Dwight Howard, he's not overrated, he hasn't even hit his prime. The guy is the most athletic big man I've ever seen (Shawn Kemp is up there too). Defensively he's just downright scary, when his offense catches up he will be the most dominate player in the league hands down...Give him some time

theimortalone
05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
i could be wrong but he got smashed on by chris paul !!!! Yao ming to!!!!!!!! Come on now

What the ****? I do not understand this post at all! :shrug: :eyebrow: :confused:

Joshtd1
05-12-2009, 02:59 PM
What the ****? I do not understand this post at all! :shrug: :eyebrow: :confused:

Smashed on = dunked on

Joshtd1
05-12-2009, 03:00 PM
where is shaq? better offensively than all of them minus wilt

I just forgot to put his name there

theimortalone
05-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Smashed on = dunked on

Haha thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes more sense now :)

dee279
05-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Dwight is a Superstar. Phil Jackson who is a great Coach, an Hall of fame coach, was asked what player he would pick to start a franchise and he chose Dwight. Dwight over even Lebron James. Dwight will eventually become a 25 point player or maybe even more but imo he is not being coached correctly. He is in no way overrated. I have never heard of him being called the best offensive Center in the game. Maybe the best center and to me it is well deserved. Yao gets hurt every single year and he imo once again is really his only competition.

sep11ie
05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
How many players averaged 20/10 this year?

Lo Porto
05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Dwight just needs to get a 12-15 foot jumper. Took Malone a few years to develop that so he could get there.

shep33
05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I hate to say it but yeah I think he is overrated offensively. I miss the 90s when the league was dominated by bigs (The Dream, Pat, Admiral, Shaq, Zo). Dwight needs to add some quick post moves to his game, and maybe a little jump shot. His sweeping hook looks hideous, and is pretty easy to block since he doesn't extend high enough. Right now his only move is a drop step "Slam Dunk Shot" (as Mr. Walton would say). Defensively he's good, picks up terrible fouls sometimes though. But honestly when all is said and done, I think he'll be a great player... though no where near the level of Olajuwan or Shaq.

The Ooh Child
05-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I agree that Dwight isn't a terrific offensive center, but that doesn't make him overrated. Name two guys you would rather have play center for you (I didn't want to make it too easy for Rocket fans/Chinese people)...I'll kill someone if they say Bynum or Shaq

albertc86
05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree and disagree. He's a superstar whether you like it or not. He stole Shaq's superman persona and he's a freak of nature in this own right. I agree that his offensive game leaves a lot to be desired and I'm amazed that the Magic have reached this far without the presence of a strong offensive force.

allvalleychamp
05-12-2009, 03:40 PM
he's what 22 or 23, when those guys came into the league they were that age he has already lead the league in rebounding what 4 times...who would you trade D Howard for? i'd take him on the warriors for anybody

Frank Costanza
05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
kinda a badru thread if you ask me

if he was scoreing 13-16 with great rebounding id agre
the fact taht hes a 20-13 guy makes him a superstar, not saying hes "the dream" or the
"admiral" but once that 12-14 foot jumper is in hes ready for that next level

badru thread if you ask me

td0tsfinest
05-12-2009, 07:36 PM
He's offensive game isn't great but its getting better. He really doesn't have much of a repitore other than the turn around base line dunk. Other than that most of his points come of cleaning the glass.

Its a big reason why they brought over Patrick Ewing.

ManRam
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I've been creeping around again...had to post on this one.

Dwight is severely overrated. I love the Magic. My favorite team in all of sports...but Dwight is the most overrated player in the game.

Every time all the experts say that all the Magic need to do is get the ball to Dwight, I laugh. Unless he gets the ball extremely low in the post, he's a bad offensive player. Watch the game tonight. 50% of the time he gets the ball without good position, he will either refuse to pass and turn the ball over, refuse to pass and take a horrible shot, or spin above the rim and try and get a left handed hook shot to go. His offensive game is ugly. The Magic unfortunately wont be true contenders until he can become considered remotely a go-to player. He is not, probably wont ever be. You can get him the ball and expect him to score.

If Jameer was playing, the Magic would win this series. His chemistry with Dwight is amazing. He can penetrate and find Dwight in good position very easily. Without Jameer, Dwight usually gets the ball in a poor position, and is an offensive dud.

If he had an ounce of offensive game, or even offensive IQ (PASS THE FREAKING BALL!!!!) he'd be devastating. Until then, he's no better than Yao.

He's a liability when the goal of the offense is to get the ball to Dwight.

ManRam
05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Case in point...

The Magic are trying to run the offense through Dwight early on. After the first 2.5 minutes, Dwight has put up a horrible layup where he started from the elbow, turned the ball over and totally has stagnated this offense, forcing SVG to call a really, really early TO.

Missing56&33
05-12-2009, 08:12 PM

you make a good point. I personally thought the DH had a monster year, made a lot of progress but the inability to beat the Celts without KG... like Charles Barkley said the other night makes Orlando a weak team. DH inability to put up consistent numbers like the centers you mentioned about is exactly the reason they are struggling against a depleted Celtic team.

IMO he will never have a great offensive game, the only way he will win a championship is if he team up with a star like Kobe, Lebron, or Wade

C MAC
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Dwight is a Superstar. Phil Jackson who is a great Coach, an Hall of fame coach, was asked what player he would pick to start a franchise and he chose Dwight. Dwight over even Lebron James. Dwight will eventually become a 25 point player or maybe even more but imo he is not being coached correctly. He is in no way overrated. I have never heard of him being called the best offensive Center in the game. Maybe the best center and to me it is well deserved. Yao gets hurt every single year and he imo once again is really his only competition.

That's ridiculous. I would pick at least 10 guys to build my franchise around over Dwight Howard. I sure as hell wouldn't want my franchise built around a player that can't take a game over when he needs to. He is definitely not a superstar. Not yet anyway.

Hawkeye15
05-12-2009, 08:38 PM
he's what 22 or 23, when those guys came into the league they were that age he has already lead the league in rebounding what 4 times...who would you trade D Howard for? i'd take him on the warriors for anybody

I think he means, that compared to his predecessors, ie, some of the best centers of all time, he just doesn't live up yet. But yes, he is the most dominant big man today, no doubt. Imagine him against 2000 Shaq though, eeck
And the age thing, you have to remember, 15 years ago, you came into the league at 22. Dwight has as many games under him in the NBA as a 26 year old from 1994. He is in his prime. Big men get about 1000 games, he has 405. Then bad things happen. See, Duncan, KG. Unless you are a freak like Parish or Kareem.

montazingmvp
05-12-2009, 09:01 PM
No offense but this is one of the most ignorant threads I have ever seen. For a couple reasons.

Other nba players are affraid to drive into the lane just from his presense alone. Watch your celtics drive into the lane then drive out just as fast because Howard is there.

At age 23 Howard is one of the best defenders ever.

Once again, he's only 23. Yes he doesn't have a complete offensive skill set, he'll develop it soon enough, he still averages 20+ points a game with a limited skill set, imagine when he reaches his prime in another 6-7 years.

Howard is an athletic freak with the capabilites to be the best Center ever. Look at Lebron James, he's an athletic freak as well but if you compare his skill set to a Kobe Bryant or even a Dwane Wade you'll see that both are better "skill" wise then Lebron. In time who knows if that will be the case.

You critisize a guy who hasn't even been in the league that long but has accomplished so much.

no offense but you have no clue what you are talking about...dwight isn't even close to one of the best defenders ever...i find it comical that you think so...dwight doesn't have the tools to be the best center ever...

he doesn't have half the power and finesse of hakeem or david robinson, or patrick ewing, and those are just a few of the great centers...those guys are a combination of gasol and howard...with the inside presence, defensively and the finesse around the hoop like gasol...a guys like hakeem or david robinson, would dominate this era's center...the reason dwight is the best center in the leaague is because this is an era null of dominant centers...

dwight is nothing more than a dikembe mutombo... a great player, but nowhere near one of the greatest

Hawkeye15
05-12-2009, 11:17 PM
no offense but you have no clue what you are talking about...dwight isn't even close to one of the best defenders ever...i find it comical that you think so...dwight doesn't have the tools to be the best center ever...

he doesn't have half the power and finesse of hakeem or david robinson, or patrick ewing, and those are just a few of the great centers...those guys are a combination of gasol and howard...with the inside presence, defensively and the finesse around the hoop like gasol...a guys like hakeem or david robinson, would dominate this era's center...the reason dwight is the best center in the leaague is because this is an era null of dominant centers...

dwight is nothing more than a dikembe mutombo... a great player, but nowhere near one of the greatest

Dwight is far better on offense than Deke. Deke has ping pong paddles for hands. And no ball handling ability. Basically, Dwight is a 6'11", 270 lb version of Shaq.

C MAC
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Dwight is far better on offense than Deke. Deke has ping pong paddles for hands. And no ball handling ability. Basically, Dwight is a 6'11", 270 lb version of Shaq.

If Dwight was a 6'11" 270 pound version of Shaq the Magic could have went to him for a couple key baskets tonight when the Celtics were making their comeback. Shaq would have never let that happen and he would never let Big Baby and Perkins hold him to 12 points. Shaq wouldn't even let that happen at his age now nevermind what he would have done 10 - 12 years ago. I agree that Howard is overrated and he is no superstar. He's the best big man in a league with no great big men. That's his MO.

ManRam
05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
In response to the last few posts...

monta...seriously, no better than Deke?? Dikembe scored over 14 points a game once in his career (rookie year). Dwight is better offensively, and far more athletic. He might be better offensively only because of his athleticism, but he still is far batter.

However.

1. Dwight is a great one-on-one defender. He is not a great team defender.
2. Dwight's offensive game consists of scoring off of broken plays (rebounds etc.), about a 30% accurate hook shot and an occasionally successful post up. He isn't horrible, but he is not even close to a go-to player.
3. "Pass" is not a word in Superman-ese.
4. "Turnover" is definitely a word.
5. Dwight is not a go-to player on offense. Until he is, he is not a franchise player.
6. Free throw shooting complicates everything.

Here's how I define Dwight...

Great defensively, not DPOY good, but definitely elite.
Sub-par offensively when he doesn't get the ball under the hoop.
A turnover machine, who refuses to pass the ball and utilize his shooters. He doesn't make them as much better as he should/could.

The Magic choke because they can't give him the ball late in games. Partially because he sucks at creating a good shot, and secondly because his free throw shooting is horrific.

I've been a Dwight-hater for a while now. Glad people see the light. He needs to work on getting better. It's unacceptable. He needs to stop relying on athleticism and start dedicating time to getting more skilled.

End rant.

C MAC
05-12-2009, 11:42 PM

monta...seriously, no better than Deke?? Dikembe scored over 14 points a game once in his career (rookie year). Dwight is better offensively, and far more athletic. He might be better offensively only because of his athleticism, but he still is far batter.

However.

2. Dwight's offensive game consists of scoring off of broken plays (rebounds etc.), about a 30% accurate hook shot and an occasionally successful post up. He isn't horrible, but he is not even close to a go-to player.
5. Dwight is not a go-to player on offense. Until he is, he is not a franchise player.

A turnover machine, who refuses to pass the ball and utilize his shooters. He doesn't make them as much better as he should/could.

The Magic choke because they can't give him the ball late in games. Partially because he sucks at creating a good shot, and secondly because his free throw shooting is horrific.

I've been a Dwight-hater for a while now. Glad people see the light. He needs to work on getting better. It's unacceptable. He needs to stop relying on athleticism and start dedicating time to getting more skilled.

End rant.

I agree with everything you said man. I have always thought this way about Howard but this series has confirmed it. Franchise players don't get held down by Kendrick Perkins and Big Baby Davis. They just don't.

TopsyTurvy
05-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I agree with everything you said man. I have always thought this way about Howard but this series has confirmed it. Franchise players don't get held down by Kendrick Perkins and Big Baby Davis. They just don't.

Howard is as much of a victim of poor coaching as any player in the NBA. Tonight's game is the ideal example of all of Dwight Howard's flaws rolled into one:

A team that utterly fails to utilize his strength.

Perkins can not run with Howard. Big Baby has legs, but Howard isn't the only big the Magic have that can run. The Magic completely lack the offensive tenacity to utilize their players properly. Howard is not overrated, he's simply misused.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Bingo!^^^^^

C MAC
05-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Howard is as much of a victim of poor coaching as any player in the NBA. Tonight's game is the ideal example of all of Dwight Howard's flaws rolled into one:

Perkins can not run with Howard. Big Baby has legs, but Howard isn't the only big the Magic have that can run. The Magic completely lack the offensive tenacity to utilize their players properly. Howard is not overrated, he's simply misused.

He is overrated because the only way he can score is on putbacks or if he gets the ball when he's right under the basket. He has no back to the basket game and no shot at all. Big Baby Davis is actually a better offensive player than Dwight Howard. I'm not saying that Baby is better than him because he's not even close to as good as Howard but, he is better offensively and that's not saying much. Howard is a great rebounder and one on one defender but until he gets a consistent offensive game than he is overrated.

Joshtd1
05-13-2009, 12:22 AM

How is it the teams fault, if Dwight doesnt run? You have a Magic fan even saying Dwight is overrated.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 12:28 AM

However.

End rant.

true...dwight is better offensively...but he's also worse defensively

twoearl
05-13-2009, 01:48 AM
I got news for you "smart" guys who think he is overrated... Dwight Howard is only 23 years old. Let me say that again for the slow people. He is only 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23.

He has over a decade of basketball remaining. He will be one of the greats.

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 01:52 AM
I got news for you "smart" guys who think he is overrated... Dwight Howard is only 23 years old. Let me say that again for the slow people. He is only 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23.

He has over a decade of basketball remaining. He will be one of the greats.

well the great centers...were a whole lot better than dwight at 23...so dwight has a long way to go...what makes you think he's going to continue getting better...? maybe he will, maybe not

scarletknight12
05-13-2009, 02:32 AM

You guard him?

JabberJaw
05-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Defensive player of the year, GREAT rebounder, GREAT at blocking/changing shots, defensively intimidating as anyone in the league...
Now, its funny how he averages 20.6 ppg, but he is such a horrible offensive player. Think about what is being said here. A 23 year old, not even close to his prime, is being scrutinized for not being a "good offensive player", yet he scores 20+ points on average...on a team that doesn't run very many plays for him, that also live and die by the 3pt shot. All this while he is always one of the top players in the league, when it comes to field goal percentage.
Yao Ming scores 19.7 ppg, but is known as a "very good offensive center", but not close to Howard on D.
Chris Bosh scores 22.7 ppg and is known as an elite offensive big man. Can't D like Howard.
Amare Stoudamire 21.4 ppg and is probably as good as any big man on the offensive side, and doesn't know what defense means.
Dwight averages close to as many points as "elite offensive big men" in this league, and is a monster on D. So, who is really the complete package? Amare and Yao are terrible defenders, and Bosh is pretty good on D but has nothing on Howard.

It's obvious that people are just looking for something to complain about. If Dwight Howard continues to improve, as he has every year in the NBA, he will go down as one of the great big men. He is 23, an athletic freak, nowhere near his prime, has no real dominant post moves yet still averages 20+ ppg. Stop the nitpicking please...

Vinny642
05-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Not overrated just uneffective in the playoffs which is pissing me off. His uneffectiveness comes from coaching, the other players around him, and himself but he'll get better hopefully before the series is over.

JabberJaw
05-13-2009, 03:09 AM
Not overrated just uneffective in the playoffs which is pissing me off. His uneffectiveness comes from coaching, the other players around him, and himself but he'll get better hopefully before the series is over.

I agree with you. He has a coach that just lets his team run around and chuck up 3 after 3 after 3, without any consequence. If the 3 is not falling for this team, they can't win. They don't know how to play inside out. Dwight does not have the post moves of Gasol, or the power of a prime Shaq, but they need to build his confidence and start utilizing him. Big Baby can't play with Dwight, but he can if he (Baby) doesn't have to play honest D. And Perkins big goofy ***** definitely doesn't have an ounce of the speed or quickness Dwight has, but the only people that haven't figured that out is Orlando Magic.
Guaranteed if Dwight played with a coach and team that knew how to run a complete offense, then he would evolve offensively much quicker. Dwight had ONE field goal attempt in the 4th quarter. I don't see how that is his fault, yet im sure I can wait on PSD and here 100 more outlandish ways D.Howard is the reason Orlando is struggling. hahah

Vinny642
05-13-2009, 03:13 AM
I agree with you. He has a coach that just lets his team run around and chuck up 3 after 3 after 3, without any consequence. If the 3 is not falling for this team, they can't win. They don't know how to play inside out. Dwight does not have the post moves of Gasol, or the power of a prime Shaq, but they need to build his confidence and start utilizing him. Big Baby can't play with Dwight, but he can if he (Baby) doesn't have to play honest D. And Perkins big goofy ***** definitely doesn't have an ounce of the speed or quickness Dwight has, but the only people that haven't figured that out is Orlando Magic.
Guaranteed if Dwight played with a coach and team that knew how to run a complete offense, then he would evolve offensively much quicker. Dwight had ONE field goal attempt in the 4th quarter. I don't see how that is his fault, yet im sure I can wait on PSD and here 100 more outlandish ways D.Howard is the reason Orlando is struggling. hahah

NO trades Peja Rasual TC and Our 1st pick for Dwight then Dwight can play with a coach that would utilize him better. But Magic are still my second favorite team. Imagine Cp Dwight and DWest simply amazing.

JJ_JKidd
05-13-2009, 04:17 AM
Dwight Howard has no offensive moves at all save for himself crashing into defenders for a dunk, alley oops and putbacks. He is nowhere near the moves Duncan and KG and Yao makes.

Plus he sucks at the FT line and acts like a child sometimes. Yeah I remember, he is MAN-CHILD. Plays like a man and thinks and acts like a child.

He dissapointed me so much in these playoffs. I thought he was gonna perform at an elite level considering he was even the starting center of the United of America Men's Basketball team!!!!!!!

montazingmvp
05-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Defensive player of the year, GREAT rebounder, GREAT at blocking/changing shots, defensively intimidating as anyone in the league...
Now, its funny how he averages 20.6 ppg, but he is such a horrible offensive player. Think about what is being said here. A 23 year old, not even close to his prime, is being scrutinized for not being a "good offensive player", yet he scores 20+ points on average...on a team that doesn't run very many plays for him, that also live and die by the 3pt shot. All this while he is always one of the top players in the league, when it comes to field goal percentage.
Yao Ming scores 19.7 ppg, but is known as a "very good offensive center", but not close to Howard on D.
Chris Bosh scores 22.7 ppg and is known as an elite offensive big man. Can't D like Howard.
Amare Stoudamire 21.4 ppg and is probably as good as any big man on the offensive side, and doesn't know what defense means.
Dwight averages close to as many points as "elite offensive big men" in this league, and is a monster on D. So, who is really the complete package? Amare and Yao are terrible defenders, and Bosh is pretty good on D but has nothing on Howard.

It's obvious that people are just looking for something to complain about. If Dwight Howard continues to improve, as he has every year in the NBA, he will go down as one of the great big men. He is 23, an athletic freak, nowhere near his prime, has no real dominant post moves yet still averages 20+ ppg. Stop the nitpicking please...

yao is not a terrible defender, i don't know where you got that from...his size alone makes him a good defender...he's constantly changing shots and taking up space inside...

can you name me one time when a big man has ever gone off against yao...bet you'd have trouble doing so...

honestly man, where did you get the idea that yao is a terrible defender? you coulnd't be more wrong

if yao is such a bad defender, how come your boy dwight gets completely dominated by him every time they face off? please explain

JayW_1023
05-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Howard an amazing athlete but he isn't a talented basketball player. Everything he learns about the game takes more time than with most prep-to-pros stars.

When LeBron, Kobe and KG came out of high school they already had the basketball IQ and knowhow about the game. Howard just doesn't have as great an understanding of how the game is really played.

There is a reason why Orlando plays outside in instead of inside out. Unlike Gasol, Duncan, Yao and those guys, Howard doesn't have the intelligence to make plays for his teammates...his teammates, mainly Alston and Hedo have to make plays for him instead.

J-Relo
05-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Bill Russell got 11 rings... that makes all the difference... as for now I don't see Howard getting one with Magic...

Also Howard is nowhere near Bill if we talk about D...

favre_4life
05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Case in point...

The Magic are trying to run the offense through Dwight early on. After the first 2.5 minutes, Dwight has put up a horrible layup where he started from the elbow, turned the ball over and totally has stagnated this offense, forcing SVG to call a really, really early TO.

Yah case and point your now definatley wrong. Did you happen to catch that 4th quarter? That is why you run the offense through Dwight. 1 touch in the 4th quarter! Yah say what you want but unless your dumbass coach starts running the offense through Dwight, your going to be out of the playoffs real fast. Yah he might not have all the offensive tools you look for in a player, but u give it to him anywhere near the basket and he can score.

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Bill Russell got 11 rings... that makes all the difference... as for now I don't see Howard getting one with Magic...

Also Howard is nowhere near Bill if we talk about D...russell played with 8HOF's also so lets not talk like he carrieed the team on his back

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Howard an amazing athlete but he isn't a talented basketball player. Everything he learns about the game takes more time than with most prep-to-pros stars.

When LeBron, Kobe and KG came out of high school they already had the basketball IQ and knowhow about the game. Howard just doesn't have as great an understanding of how the game is really played.

There is a reason why Orlando plays outside in instead of inside out. Unlike Gasol, Duncan, Yao and those guys, Howard doesn't have the intelligence to make plays for his teammates...his teammates, mainly Alston and Hedo have to make plays for him instead.

ya kobe's iq was so high on the bench, and howard is so terriible he's avg a double double and his teams improve every yr in the nba, like your clueless, kg did what exactly in minnesota til 2001?

TopsyTurvy
05-13-2009, 11:28 AM
How is it the teams fault, if Dwight doesnt run? You have a Magic fan even saying Dwight is overrated.

Every critic in this thread cites Howard's inability to back down a player effectively into the low post and score regularly, yet all concede that he finishes under the basket. Most critics also quickly point out that upon backing a player down, he is quickly double teamed and coughs up the ball. Any player who regularly demands a double team can never be considered overrated. Yet for all the hubaloo, Dwight is seemingly the third option in the Magic's half court game!?!?!?!?!??! The team can go a stretch of 10-12 possessions without Howard so much as touching the ball!!! :mad:

I would much rather see the Magic turn all of Dwight Howard's 20/20 games into a 35/10 games by getting the team out and running instead of settling for board dominance and jump shots. The Magic are far and away the most frustrating team to watch in these playoffs...

ManRam
05-13-2009, 11:49 AM

His strength is athleticism and defense...not taking games over offensively. He can't do that. The best ways to create shots for Dwight is taking bad shots and hoping he grabs the rebound low in the post. You saw Rafer throw the ball up late in the game. It looked horrible, but it's the only way Dwight can really score.

You can't give the ball to Dwight 10 feet away from the rim and expect him to score. You can't. He isn't good enough to do it. I'd rather lose taking three pointers than lose forcing the ball to Dwight who in turn will force up horrible shots or turn it over because he wont ever pass.

Stop saying that Dwight needs the ball. He doesn't. He's not a go-to scorer. Far from it. He's been an offensive liability this series. The two games we won...Dwight took a combined 11 shots. The less he's the focus on offense, the better we are. Fact.

ManRam
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Yah case and point your now definatley wrong. Did you happen to catch that 4th quarter? That is why you run the offense through Dwight. 1 touch in the 4th quarter! Yah say what you want but unless your dumbass coach starts running the offense through Dwight, your going to be out of the playoffs real fast. Yah he might not have all the offensive tools you look for in a player, but u give it to him anywhere near the basket and he can score.

Even though we lost last night...I'd rather have the ball in Hedo's hands 100% of the time late in games and watch him blow it than have it in Dwight's hands at all. He's not a go-to scorer. He never has been, and until he starts realizing he can't get by on athleticism and develops an offensive game that doesn't rely on scoring off of broken plays or shooting a crappy left handed hook shots...he never will get the ball. Blame SVG all you want, but I guarantee his teammates had as much to do with Dwight not getting the ball as Stan did. They know how you can't expect him to score. He's not a go-to scorer. He can't create his own shot. All he is on offense when he gets the ball more than 5 feet away from the hoop is either a turnover, a refusal to pass, or a no-touch whatsoever hook shot that never goes in.

C MAC
05-13-2009, 07:28 PM
russell played with 8HOF's also so lets not talk like he carrieed the team on his back

Without Russell they would have never got by Wilt Chamberlain though. He's the main reason they won all those championships.

C MAC
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
well the great centers...were a whole lot better than dwight at 23...so dwight has a long way to go...what makes you think he's going to continue getting better...? maybe he will, maybe not

Absolutely 100% right.