PDA

View Full Version : MUST SEE - Chauncey Billups article

Epic89
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Fantastic piece over on ESPN about Chauncey Billups.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090511/billups

This guy is finally getting the respect he deserves. One of my favorite athletes of all time, and we sorely miss him here in Detroit.

op12
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
HOFer in my opinion, but if he helps lead the nuggets to the finals he should def get the respect he deserves.

NiTEFuRY
05-11-2009, 01:31 PM
what a mistake trading him.

shep33
05-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Awesome player. Denver was already stacked with talent, IMO the most talented team by far in the NBA. They got everything: Primary scorer=Melo; Post presence=Nene; Defensive stopper/rebounder=Kmart, Birdman; Backup PG=Anthony Carter; Bench=Kleiza,JR Smith who would average 23 a game if he started on another team; Captain/Leader=Chauncy. Billups was the missing piece to stabalize this team, allowing them to play more consistent D. If its Cavs Nuggets, I got Nuggets in 6.

what54!?
05-11-2009, 01:54 PM
another bright move by mchale. :rolleyes:

If the T-wolves would have kept Billups along with KG they could done some damage. Or maybe not since Mchale would probably would have messed that up.

Good for chauncey though. Hope he wins a championship with the nuggests.

bahama0811
05-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Great article!!! I grew up in Denver while Chauncey was in HS and college at CU. I always and still to this day look up to him. Its great to see a home town kid do so well for himself.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-11-2009, 02:01 PM
:worthy: CB7

BoognishMN
05-11-2009, 02:10 PM
I just finished reading this article and was going to post a link to it. but you bea me to it. I always liked Chauncy since his days with the Wolves, what a shame him and Garnett could have one a few championships together.

mightybosstone
05-11-2009, 02:16 PM
This was a fantastic article. I've always had a respect for Billups, but this just catapulted him into a whole other category for me. I'd love to see him win one more Finals, but more importantly I think he should be a HoFer.

masalex1205
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM
wow one of the best articles ive read in a while

durtee
05-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Very good article. I find it hilarious that he has to leave Detroit in order to get the proper respect and attention that he has deserved for at least 6 years. For me, he hasn't quite done enough to be HOF worthy as of yet, but if he gets through the Lakers & Cavs this year and wins another NBA championship then I think I would be convinced.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Great effin read, theres alot of neat tidbits I didnt know about. Chauncey has always been one of my favorite players, good to see people are starting to take notice at whats been evident for years now. Chauncey has consistently been the 2nd best PG in the league for years now.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Very good article. I find it hilarious that he has to leave Detroit in order to get the proper respect and attention that he has deserved for at least 6 years. For me, he hasn't quite done enough to be HOF worthy as of yet, but if he gets through the Lakers & Cavs this year and wins another NBA championship then I think I would be convinced.

Your insane if you dont think hes HOF

broncsnugzbrave
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
He is just a player that makes everyone around him perform more at their full potential. He is a hell of a basketball player but an even better leader and I bet if I knew him personally he would be a hell of a good friend.

JordansBulls
05-11-2009, 04:00 PM
This is why ESPN is the best sports site around.

durtee
05-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Your insane if you dont think hes HOF

It would be insane to say that Kobe isn't a HOFer or JKidd. Chauncey has not had the career of a Kobe or JKidd. He is very borderline at best right now. After his first season as a Piston I have considered him a top 3 or 4 PG in the league, but I watched basically every game he played as a Piston. After 5 years he was considered a bust, then he finally turned his career around and has had about 6 or 7 very solid years. To me a HOFer is someone with well over 10 years of solid play and all star appearances or multiple NBA championships or MVP awards. Billups right now has 4 All star appearances, 1 NBA championship, 1 Finals MVP. He has never finished above 3rd NBA all team or 2nd NBA all defensive team. All of that combined makes him very borderline IMO. If I am insane, then I guess I hold a higher standard of the HOF than others do. I would say that anyone that thinks he is a shoe-in is the one that is insane.

azkarraga
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
great reading. thanks for the post.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
It would be insane to say that Kobe isn't a HOFer or JKidd. Chauncey has not had the career of a Kobe or JKidd. He is very borderline at best right now. After his first season as a Piston I have considered him a top 3 or 4 PG in the league, but I watched basically every game he played as a Piston. After 5 years he was considered a bust, then he finally turned his career around and has had about 6 or 7 very solid years. To me a HOFer is someone with well over 10 years of solid play and all star appearances or multiple NBA championships or MVP awards. Billups right now has 4 All star appearances, 1 NBA championship, 1 Finals MVP. He has never finished above 3rd NBA all team or 2nd NBA all defensive team. All of that combined makes him very borderline IMO. If I am insane, then I guess I hold a higher standard of the HOF than others do. I would say that anyone that thinks he is a shoe-in is the one that is insane.
He was a bust after 3-4 years, but he had very decent stints in between that suggested signs of life. He had 1 decent year in Denver and 1 good year in Detroit.

Sounds to me like Billups is in by your criteria. Hes going to last atleast a decade and is bound to make a few more All-Star games and will definitely make an All-NBA team this year.

And the thing about All-NBA teams is that Billups has been consistently underappreciated, hes like Joe Dumars in this regard. He was a Finals MVP long before he was an All-Star. Billups has really been an All-Star for 7 years, he just didnt get recognized.

Faneik
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
great read.

congrats to the writer.

JayW_1023
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Billups is a HOFer without question. If Iverson deserves a HOF berth, so does Billups. He is a 4 time Allstar, two time NBA finalist and a Finals MVP...after taking the Nuggets to a new level what more does he have to prove?

Hawkeye15
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
great article. I love Billups. He is a HOF player, there is no doubt. He still has a lot left as well. Height, strength, and shooting ability don't go as you age. He will be a very productive player for another 3-4 years I would think, all star level
and to anyone who criticized the Wolves for letting him go, this article helps a little. Terrell Brandon was a very, very good PG, and they just didn't have room for both. Little did the Wolves know he would go down 25 games in for good basically. Just bad luck

Hawkeye15
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM

The NBA hall of fame is far easier to get into than the other major sports. He will get in.

Missing56&33
05-11-2009, 07:03 PM
nice article

dre1990
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090511/billups

Best article Ive read in a Long time...... check it out

Wilson
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Already posted (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361972).

This is a good thread though, because it reminded me that I'm supposed to read this...:p

Kohaku
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Yea, it was a touching article.

tr4shb0t
05-11-2009, 10:17 PM
mvp

LakersOrNothing
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow, that's an amazing article. At first glance, I said to myself, NO way in hell i'm reading all this... but I did and I do not regret it. Billups is the man, seriously. I'm glad he became what he wanted and won what he wanted (Finals MVP and a Trophy). The guy is a hard worker, and is clutch. He is simply amazing, he turned a shaky playoff team into a real contender. I knew the moment he was traded to Denver that many great things will come for the Nuggets. Thank god Nuggets are my second favorite team :)

Kohaku
05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
^ Woot we got a laker fan cheering for Denver lol.

AIsixersFK
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
what a great read. Thanks for posting!

Wilson
05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
^ Woot we got a laker fan cheering for Denver lol.

Hey I've been in love with Denver since the trade. I was already a fan of Billups, but I love that I was exactly right about the trade for both teams :up:

I have a friend who's a Nuggets fan though, and I am going to miss make him feel bad about sports. Oh well, I still have the Broncos...:p

dre1990
05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
HEs my favorite player of all time

what54!?
05-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Read this article earlier.gotta love billups. Mr. Big shot has lost me some money and caused me some stress over the years. :laugh2:.

Just thinking about the damage he and Kg could've done. :pity:

i.got.the.nutz
05-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Billups and KG would've been nasty :drool::drool::drool:

JayW_1023
05-12-2009, 03:16 AM
The article also made me realize what an atrocious role model Iverson was for his young teammates. Especially for a guy young players should be looking up too, it is quite irresponsible to encourage them to party on game nights.

Billups just needed one season to set his teammates straight and show them what it truly takes to be a contending basketball team. It's not just playing together, but also alot of commitment that comes with playing to win.

DerekRE_3
05-12-2009, 03:23 AM
The article also made me realize what an atrocious role model Iverson was for his young teammates. Especially for a guy young players should be looking up too, it is quite irresponsible to encourage them to party on game nights.

Billups just needed one season to set his teammates straight and show them what it truly takes to be a contending basketball team. It's not just playing together, but also alot of commitment that comes with playing to win.

And that's why I cringe when I see people post about how Allen Iverson is perfect for the Bobcats. Guys like Raymond Felton, Gerald Wallace, Emeka Okafor, and Raja Bell are the ones that young players should look up to, not Allen Iverson. Plus, he would hurt the team on the court as much or more than he would off of it.

TmacBryant
05-12-2009, 04:34 AM
good article....

Chauncy Billups and Tim duncan would be better.... damn that tim duncan!!!

Durant is hype
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM

When did he do that? (just curious)

Great article.

Durant is hype
05-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Read this article earlier.gotta love billups. Mr. Big shot has lost me some money and caused me some stress over the years. :laugh2:.

Just thinking about the damage he and Kg could've done. :pity:

Him,Kg and Wally.

Remember Wally was an all-star in his Wolves years.

JayW_1023
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
When did he do that? (just curious)

Great article.

Not sure exactly but the article made a reference to AI's exhuberant lifestyle off the court.

Iverson has been popular but counterproductive in Denver. Key members of the organization say that Iverson has partied some nights until 3 in the morning, and that Denver's two most crucial players -- Anthony and J.R. Smith -- have tried to keep up with him. They say Anthony and Smith look at Iverson with reverence, the same way Chauncey's generation looked at Michael Jordan. So when A.I. says, "Let's go out,'" they go out. When A.I. wears a sleeve on his arm, they wear a sleeve. Especially the impressionable Smith, who has never met a shot he didn't like.

The Nuggets have managed to win 50 games in 2007-08 living this way, but it's clear they have hit their ceiling. A.I., Anthony and Marcus Camby are all "ball stoppers," meaning they rarely pass. A lot of times, the Denver offense has consisted of Iverson dribbling right, Iverson dribbling left and Iverson taking a fadeaway. The sorry offense has led to sorrier defense, but Karl's pleas for ball movement have fallen on deaf ears.

TheDiggler
05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Great article. I'm really happy to see, that Chauncey gets all this well deserved credit. He's just a great guy and player. He brings very unique abillities to a team and, not matter if he kicks Dallas out of Playoffs or not, he will always be one of my favorite players.

Even here in Germany, they give him good credit. In Germanys best Basketball-Magazine "FIVE" they made him the title-story last month. Fantastic article too and really made me even more admiring him and his on-court skills. He's just a guy you're jealous of, because he plays for the other team ...

SaimoNETS
05-12-2009, 06:34 PM
nice article.

JayW_1023
05-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Chauncey plays very much like a prototypical international point guard in my opinion...he is doing all the fundamental things right and he rarely makes a foolish move. Wether he has to make plays, defend or score...he always does his job even if it means not dominating the box scores.

I'm glad we have guys like Rose and Rondo up and coming and adapting that similair calm mindset. The point guard position is really in great hands. Now if only someone can become the next Duncan or KG and set new standards for the big men, this league will be in good shape.

mitch91
05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
fantastic article, everyone should read this. all young inspiring players shoudl read this, shame it portrays AI in such a negative way