PDA

View Full Version : Whos more mentally weak the Lakers or Magic

lakersfan211
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
watching this 2 teams in the playoffs im saying my lakers are mentally weak as much as it pains me to say and their is another in this playoffs that are too and thats the magic , they should be killing their series with weaker teams im saying that because both teams are without their best players and both series are tied 2-2 both possibly going 7 say ask who is mentally weaker my lakers are the magic.

magicbucs4eva
05-11-2009, 04:32 PM
lakers got blown out, magic lost in the last second. and the celtics are way better than the rockets even without KG!

stensley
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
I would say that Orlando is weaker mentally, than the Lakers, but that's only because the Lakers have Kobe, plus I think Orlando has to be one of the dumbest team left in the playoff. How many times do they come down and launch a 3? Without first, throwing it in to one of the most athletic big man in the NBA? They go multiple possession without letting Howard touch the ball, no passing, just dribble, dribble, shoot:confused:

macc
05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
No offense but you should really start giving the other teams credit. First off in the Magic series they are playing the defending champions. Yes they are out Garnett but you forget they have 2 other all stars on their team in Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, not to shabby there. Plus they have Rondo who is def an up and comer. Anyone who can avg almost a tripple double in the playoffs is def all star worthy in my eyes.

So when you say Boston should get "killed by the Magic" I simply think that's an ignorant statement. Once again we're talking about the defending champs here.

As for the Lakers they are playing a great defensive team in Houston. When you're playing a team that has a 9 ft center (exaggerating ofcourse) it makes things a little complicated. I know Yao is out now but you have to give Houston credit for the defense they play, esp with Shane and Ron giving Kobe a hard time. Also they have Brooks who is yet another fast pg up and comer.

As a fan you may say a team should easily win a series but thats just simply not true. This is the playoffs and it's all about matchups. Its easy for us NBA fans to say that one team should "kill" another but yet we're not the ones playing the game, you def have your favorites but in the end it just matters who wins the series. It doesn't matter if a team wins 4-0 or 4-3, if you qualify to the next round than you've done your job.

Boston had to go to game 7 in their first 2 rounds last year and ended up winning it all, are you saying they are "weak" mentally as well?

macc
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
I would say that Orlando is weaker mentally, than the Lakers, but that's only because the Lakers have Kobe, plus I think Orlando has to be one of the dumbest team left in the playoff. How many times do they come down and launch a 3? Without first, throwing it in to one of the most athletic big man in the NBA? They go multiple possession without letting Howard touch the ball, no passing, just dribble, dribble, shoot:confused:

Well obviously they're doing somthing right considering they won 59 games this season and are in the elite 8 in the playoffs and still pushing for the Eastern conference finals. So I'll take the "dribble dribble shoot" as long as we're winng games.

Also they don't always throw it into Howard everytime because it's no secret that he has alot to work on offensivly. He has a high fg% if he's close to the paint but if he's not then the shot most likely doesn't go in. Let the players play their game, theres a reason why they do things the way they do. Theres also a reason you're a fan and not a coach. Savy?

magicbucs4eva
05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
i disagreee. mentally the magic are tough. they win on the road, play tough defense, and handle their own. after last nights loss i bet they win tomorow. they are a mentally tough team. they never get down. there a very confident bunch!

Catfish1314
05-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Well for starters, the Magic should not be killing the Celtics. The Magic are playing without their All-Star PG who has been with the team as long as Howard and Glen Davis and Rajon Rondo are really stepping up in the absence of Kevin Garnett and Leon Powe.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't say either team is mentally weak. The Magic did not execute or shoot well yesterday and the Lakers were completely caught off guard by a Rockets team that played a near perfect game without Yao and T-Mac. If one of them is mentally weaker, I would say it's the Magic because they don't have the experience the Lakers have.

To me, mentally weak just means lacking mental toughness. Having players who are willing and able to take and make big shots and players who won't shy away from clutch situations and crumble late in games. In my opinion, the Magic and Lakers wouldn't consistently qualify under either.

rrude
05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I am not convinced D-Ho is a number 1 guy, I think he needs another player to complement him, like David Robinson needed Tim Duncan. I don't buy the Shaq BS about Van Gundy, but have yet to be impressed with Howard's game beyond the fact that he's more physically gifted than almost anyone at his position. I think they really miss Nelson, he was a winner in college and a leader. Not the most physically gifted player, but brings a lot of intangibles and toughness to a team that's a bit, paraphrasing Tim Thomas, fake tough.

The best thing about LA is Phil Jackson, I think their role players are totally overrated and their stars, outside of Kobe, lack toughness as well. They are just waiting to be the foil to Lebron's first championship (or they lose to Nuggets if we're lucky--that series would be fun to watch!)

JordansBulls
05-11-2009, 05:07 PM
watching this 2 teams in the playoffs im saying my lakers are mentally weak as much as it pains me to say and their is another in this playoffs that are too and thats the magic , they should be killing their series with weaker teams im saying that because both teams are without their best players and both series are tied 2-2 both possibly going 7 say ask who is mentally weaker my lakers are the magic.

So a 65 win team is mentality weak?

Lakers have HCA and the top seed in the conference by more than 10 games.

Orlando does not have HCA and Boston is the defending champions.

Lakers were considered the prohibitive favorite all year long not Orlando.

Orlando is missing a star player just like Boston.

Lakers have all their pieces while the Rockets are now missing their 2 stars.

Verbal Christ
05-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Colin Cowherd on his show this afternoon said that in his 30+ years of watching basketball he'd never seen a 'so-called' championship caliber/contender (lakers) fall behind by 30 points in the playoffs. then went on to state that as much as the lakers wish they weren't, they are a soft finesse team and in the last decade or so, no finesse team has won the championship.

op12
05-11-2009, 05:55 PM
well kobe and fish arent mentally weak. bynum may be as he is young and has disappeared lately and im still not sure about gasol. i just dont think the lakers like rough teams like the rockets. that doesnt mean theyre mentally weak but i think it kind of gets in their head.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
People overblow things, remember how fragile the C's were looking last year, or the 2006 Heat, the 2005 Spurs and 2004 Pistons were tied 2-2 with clearly inferior teams, all of these teams won the title, and Im sure there are numerous examples and Im sure the fans were pissing their pants then too, but its not time to write the Lakers off because facts are they are still 2-2 with HC.

LAKERMANIA
05-11-2009, 05:59 PM
the Lakers have an inconsistent mindset. After yesterday's game, it would be the weakest of the weak mindsets, but after a win, it would be the highest of all the highs...

As of now though, the Lakers

There is no pressure for Orlando to win the title, if they lose in the second round they would still be looked at as a successful season

There is on the Lakers, and after a loss it always looks like they can't take the load

Gibby23
05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Colin Cowherd on his show this afternoon said that in his 30+ years of watching basketball he'd never seen a 'so-called' championship caliber/contender (lakers) fall behind by 30 points in the playoffs. then went on to state that as much as the lakers wish they weren't, they are a soft finesse team and in the last decade or so, no finesse team has won the championship.

In 2004 the Pistons lost to the Nets by 18 and 25 points in games 3 and 4.

Verbal Christ
05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
In 2004 the Pistons lost to the Nets by 18 and 25 points in games 3 and 4.

yea you're right 18 and 25 is close to 30 :rolleyes:

pete_one
05-11-2009, 06:24 PM
if kobe and lebron switched places, lebron would lead the lakers a title every year until the day he retires. assuming the growth of bynum and the core of gasol ariza and the young fellas

Verbal Christ
05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
if kobe and lebron switched places, lebron would lead the lakers a title every year until the day he retires. assuming the growth of bynum and the core of gasol ariza and the young fellas

x2

championships
05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I think Magic winning all depends on them making there threes. They shoot a ton of them. I don't think that is mental weakness. The Lakers on the other hand seem to have that mental weakness. I have seen every game this year and most of their games they would come out sharp, build big leads, only to stop playing D to let their opponents back in the game. Other games they would just come out with nothing and lose to the likes of the Kings and were owned by the Bobcats. Then come out and sweep the celtics and cavs. in the reg. season series.

championships
05-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Is that what your 8 ball fortune teller told you. :crazy:

Hawkeye15
05-11-2009, 06:49 PM
the Lakers almost look as if they think a finals berth is just assumed to be there. Unless they dig in, and play to their full abilities, they will either be knocked off by Denver, or killed by Cleveland. They just have an arrogance about them right now. If they don't figure it out soon, goodnight.

Hawkeye15
05-11-2009, 06:50 PM

while I want to agree with you, I don't think this is true. The Lakers found players to suit Kobe and his game. LeBron may not fit in as well, and vice versa. I don't think the Cavs would be nearly as good with Kobe there.

MaGic
05-11-2009, 07:07 PM

While I was reading this thread I was thinking to myself - Wow these guys know their basketball they really understand the game and puts it in perspective.

And then, came your comment. I don't what to say to that :confused: you should watch more NBA maybe.

Jay22Redd
05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Well for starters, the Magic should not be killing the Celtics. The Magic are playing without their All-Star PG who has been with the team as long as Howard and Glen Davis and Rajon Rondo are really stepping up in the absence of Kevin Garnett and Leon Powe.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't say either team is mentally weak. The Magic did not execute or shoot well yesterday and the Lakers were completely caught off guard by a Rockets team that played a near perfect game without Yao and T-Mac. If one of them is mentally weaker, I would say it's the Magic because they don't have the experience the Lakers have.

To me, mentally weak just means lacking mental toughness. Having players who are willing and able to take and make big shots and players who won't shy away from clutch situations and crumble late in games. In my opinion, the Magic and Lakers wouldn't consistently qualify under either.

How do you get caught off guard in the playoffs???:rolleyes:

JordansBulls
05-11-2009, 07:32 PM

No offense, but Lebron did end up with 2 bronze medals with 11 superstars on his team.

philab
05-11-2009, 07:39 PM
No offense, but Lebron did end up with 2 bronze medals with 11 superstars on his team.

He barely played the first time and certainly wasn't the main man the second time. And that's international ball anyway. This just really isn't relevant.

dee279
05-11-2009, 07:54 PM
That is really a hard question to answer for me. I understand the Lakers have Kobe but he only had 15 points. I know he is one of the most clutch players in the NBA doe so i am in no way saying he buckles under pressure. But i feel Dwight does well at the end of games because he is not a good free throw but at the end of games he does shoot a higher percentage from there and that shows he does not buckle. Hedo hit a good amount of buzzer beaters for them and so did Reshard but i really think Van Gundy is coaching them wrong. He is a good coach but have dwight only get like 14 shots is not enough. He does not run good half court plays, and he does not really know how to use Dwight.

ARMIN12NBA
05-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Colin Cowherd must have missed the 1985 NBA Finals as well as the 1998 NBA Finals.

Catfish1314
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
How do you get caught off guard in the playoffs???:rolleyes:

Well then what would you call it? The Rockets jumped on them. The Lakers, from what I saw (and I watched the game from start to finish), were caught off guard. As ridiculous and inexcusable as that is, that's what it looked like.

Jay22Redd
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Well then what would you call it? The Rockets jumped on them. The Lakers, from what I saw (and I watched the game from start to finish), were caught off guard. As ridiculous and inexcusable as that is, that's what it looked like.

Thats just a terrible excuse to me (sayin they were caught off guard). I mean they are clearly the best team in the league and we already won one game in the series. They kept leaving us wide open from three that we had no choice but to knock them down. We even beat them in every quarter except the fourth. I just dont see an excuse but hey, it might just be cause im a rockets fan.

NBA_Starter
05-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Lakers

pippsux
05-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Both teams lost to grittier, defensive oriented teams. Rockets and Celtics fit the bill. Lakers and Magic say they are, but both are essentially very deep and talented teams who play defense occasionally. Rockets and Celts play defense always.

So it's not about mental fortitude, but defensive testicular fortitude.

JordansBulls
05-31-2009, 02:15 AM

Guess they showed how mentally strong they were.