PDA

View Full Version : is it Lebrons responsibility to stay in cleveland?

Don Starks
05-11-2009, 03:42 PM
I was just watching the Outside the Lines report on Lebron James and the effect he has on Cleveland. I was wondering if it is Lebrons responsibility to stay in Cleveland. the guy is a product of Akron as many people know, which means his roots run deep. he brings a lot of money into the team, and the city, and since he has become a superstar, downtown cleveland has become a lot more affluent. If he left Cleveland people would obviously feel betrayed since he is beloved and there is a lot invested in him.
Is it lebrons responsibility to stay in Cleveland since he has sort of become the cornerstone of the city?
If he wasn't from Akron would it be as big of a deal if he left?
is it fair to put the weight of the city on Lebrons shoulders?

just a few questions i had while watching the report and wanted to see what you guys think. also, lets not make this about what team he could leave for, thats not important, this has to do with Lebron and his effect on Cleveland.

xabial
05-11-2009, 03:48 PM
His responsibiility? No
Doubtful cavs fans says its his responsibility to stay Yes
Expected to stay by all of cavs fans Yes
Would he leave? ... who knows?

i just think its his responsibility to finally get you your first championship

And im a huge knicks fan and believe like a 0.001% chance he'll come here

what54!?
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
no. He's a basketball player, not the mayor of that city, he can go wherever he wants too.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
If he leaves, he will lose a lot of respect.

i want to add this, Is it more likely he will leave if he wins a title? By doing that, his responsibility would be lowered since he already delivered what they wanted.

I personally see him bolting to new york. I think the alure of playing in MSG everynight and being under the spotlight 365 days a year is overwheming

madiaz3
05-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't think he has the same type of relationship with Cleveland as say, Chris Paul with New Orleans. Just imagine if CP3's contract was up in a year or two and he bolted, he's too intertwined with the team and in that respect, the economy of New Orleans in a sense.

jim51990
05-11-2009, 03:55 PM
he can go where he wants hes not demanding a trade hes honoring his contract after that he can leave

Don Starks
05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
that outside the lines report is on espn right now if anyone is interested.

Unruly Fan
05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
If he leaves, he will lose a lot of respect.

i want to add this, Is it more likely he will leave if he wins a title? By doing that, his responsibility would be lowered since he already delivered what they wanted.

I personally see him bolting to new york. I think the alure of playing in MSG everynight and being under the spotlight 365 days a year is overwheming
Exactly.

That can put a lot of pressure on one to perform "well" day in and day out. People will automatically expect him to fit in and perform as well as he does in Cleveland. I honestly dont know how well he will do in NYC but I believe that comfort level a players enviornment plays a huge role their overall success.

So question is... Does LeBron want that?

Don Starks
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
if Lebron leaves then he does want that. he says he wants to be a billionaire, if he cant do that in cleveland then does he choose his personal wealth over the well being of Cleveland?

Philly76
05-11-2009, 05:55 PM
He will stay.. Sign an extension beyond 2010.. In 2011. or 2012/13, his form will drop, Cavs won't be contender, he won't be satisfied with the team around him, he will demand a trade, and be traded.. thats my point of view..

bahama0811
05-11-2009, 05:58 PM
LeBron James is a business man, he's gonna make the decisions that make the most sense for him. If he feels his best option is to stay in Cleveland than he'll stay. I'm not a Cavs fan in the least but I hope he stays in Cleveland.

philab
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't think he has the same type of relationship with Cleveland as say, Chris Paul with New Orleans. Just imagine if CP3's contract was up in a year or two and he bolted, he's too intertwined with the team and in that respect, the economy of New Orleans in a sense.

Dumb.

Cleveland's economy IS LeBron James. I forget what the numbers are, but each home playoff game brings in some absurd amount of money to the city and downtown in particular.

Plus, there's just really no basis for the CP3 comparison. LeBron has lived in Cleveland longer than Paul has in NO and in the greater Cleveland area MUCH longer. That alone is enough to negate your claim. We don't even need to get into successes, relationships, etc.

Kyle N.
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Is it responsibility? No, but I think he should stay.

superkegger
05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
LeBron owes nothing, and has no responsibility to the Cleveland Cavaliers or the city of Cleveland.

madiaz3
05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Dumb.

Cleveland's economy IS LeBron James. I forget what the numbers are, but each home playoff game brings in some absurd amount of money to the city and downtown in particular.

Plus, there's just really no basis for the CP3 comparison. LeBron has lived in Cleveland longer than Paul has in NO and in the greater Cleveland area MUCH longer. That alone is enough to negate your claim. We don't even need to get into successes, relationships, etc.

Yeah, but do you really think Cleveland would be hit harder (proportionately) than New Orleans if their respective stars were to leave? Unless you have numbers that support otherwise, (not trying to call you out, if they are there I'm curious to see them.) then I would still say CP3 is more important to his city. Cleveland was still a notable city before 2003...

magicbucs4eva
05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
lebron has no responsisbility to cleveland. they are lucky to have him!

TragicallyHip
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
It's not his responsibility to stay in Cleveland. He wouldn't be the first superstar to change teams, and shouldn't lose any respect for it what so ever.

samxeyeam
05-11-2009, 09:20 PM
No responsibilites what so ever to cleveland... I personally think he's going to stay, especially when 2010 rolls by and maybe someone like chris bosh might want to join him... You never know... Either way I think "loyalty" will play a part and he'll stay in cleveland...

philab
05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah, but do you really think Cleveland would be hit harder (proportionately) than New Orleans if their respective stars were to leave? Unless you have numbers that support otherwise, (not trying to call you out, if they are there I'm curious to see them.) then I would still say CP3 is more important to his city. Cleveland was still a notable city before 2003...

That's a completely different topic than the one before, about relationships to the city.

New Orleans might get hit harder because the team is on the brink of moving. That's true. That's merely a function of the [economic] success of each team, though, and has little to do with the individual player here.

So, to sum up what I think we can agree upon: LeBron has more ties and a longer relationship with his franchise/city but Paul's departure may be more financially detrimental to his franchise/city.

LeBrowns
05-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Are you serious. Since when did Chris Paul put New Orleans on the map because I guess I missed that. I'm pretty sure they do Mardi Gras in that city every year.... You've obviously never been to Cleveland. Pro sports is this cities foundation now with the further struggle in the economy. With arguably the most diehard fans in the nation, LeBron, practically a hometown player, far outweights the departure of Chris Paul. To me this is not even close. The Hornets franchise in New Orleans isn't even 10 years old.

And to the answer the quesiton, No it is not LeBron's responsibility to stay in Cleveland. Would he lose a lot of respect? I believe so. But he's going to make the best decision for him personally. For this cities sake, hopefully it's in Cleveland.

Kakaroach
05-11-2009, 11:37 PM
No, why would it be his responsibility? And why is crab dribble a tag?

cmstophe
05-12-2009, 01:23 AM
No. Who cares? Another day, another thread about 2010