PDA

View Full Version : Carmello Anthony

BTownTeamsRKing
05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
If the Nuggets win the Finals this year, does Melo jump back into the class of LBJ and Wade?

D_Rose1118
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
i believe so

Gibby23
05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
yes

KeithLBC
05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes, but that would also mean that Wade & Carmello have a ring, and "King" James doesn't :p

b_rad23
05-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I think he jumps over CP3 and Howard, but he still won't be top 3 IMO.

JordansBulls
05-11-2009, 03:38 PM
While I would like to say he is, the truth is no.

What's the highest Melo has finished in MVP Voting? If he was a steady MVP candidate then yes, but if not then no. You can only be compared with the elites in the league when Winning the title if you are top 3-4 in MVP voting and carry your team in the playoffs and finals.
Winning the title in itself has no barring over guys who are regular MVP candidates.

Perl567
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
As a Nuggets fan- Yes. But I agree that there needs to be some MVP Production w/o injuries and distractions before he can be considered an elite. He can score with the best of them, and his stats have improved in almost every other category this year, but there is still work to be done.

KeithLBC
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Although I think it will elevate him back into "elite" status, he's clearly not the top guy leading that team, it's Billups. Just like Kobe gets a hard time about not being the guy to "lead" his team to the finals, Carmello will get that same label.

Gibby23
05-11-2009, 03:42 PM
While I would like to say he is, the truth is no.

What's the highest Melo has finished in MVP Voting? If he was a steady MVP candidate then yes, but if not then no. You can only be compared with the elites in the league when Winning the title if you are top 3-4 in MVP voting and carry your team in the playoffs and finals.
Winning the title in itself has no barring over guys who are regular MVP candidates.

Thats your opinion, but the question was back into the class of LBJ and Wade. Before this year Wade had a ring and Finals MVP but he wasn't in the discussion for regular season MVP.

EastCoastBaller
05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Cavaliers V.S Nuggets 2009 NBA FINALS

4 > 2

CAVS WIN THE 2009 FINALS!!!

KeithLBC
05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Cavaliers V.S Nuggets 2009 NBA FINALS

4 > 2

CAVS WIN THE 2009 FINALS!!!

That's not the question, homer.

what54!?
05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
no he'll have moved his nba status up but I wouldn't necessarily say he leads them

Don Starks
05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
i dont think hes a leader like Wade and Lebron are which is why he shouldnt be considered in the top three. the Nuggets are winning because billups is leading the team, Carmelo is just a superstar role player in my opinion. the nuggets are still sick though.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-11-2009, 03:50 PM
good question huh.

i see it this way, Billupts came in there and transformed the team, but for the Nuggets to win it all, Melo will have to be Finals MVP. sooo in that case, even if its only for a year, i think Melo would attain that status again.

Lakers4ItAll
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
LOL no way Melo isn't even the best player on his team Billups is.

what54!?
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
good question huh.

i see it this way, Billupts came in there and transformed the team, but for the Nuggets to win it all, Melo will have to be Finals MVP. sooo in that case, even if its only for a year, i think Melo would attain that status again.you mean exactly how paul pirece did last year while KG lead that team? If the nuggets do win the championship thats probably what will happen.

JordansBulls
05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Thats your opinion, but the question was back into the class of LBJ and Wade.

And how would he be back in the class of them? He didn't even finish top 12 in MVP voting this year.

Gibby23
05-11-2009, 03:58 PM
And how would he be back in the class of them? He didn't even finish top 12 in MVP voting this year.

Wade was in it last year based on what he did on the past. How do you explain that?

KeithLBC
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM

This was Wade's first and only year being a nominee :shrug:

KeithLBC
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM

double post

Chronz
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Did people put Billups and TP into Kidd's/Nash's category as soon as they won a title with a finals MVP?

Id say the ONLY way a ring would put Melo in their class is if he completely tears up the Finals(Both of them) Vintage Shaq style, but with the Postseason Bron is having, there is no way he matches him.

Wade didnt get out the first round but he won a ring like 4 years ago, is he a better player then or now? Team success always overrates players, luckily the league is so competitive that eventually team success doesnt last long and you inevitably fall short of your previous standards, at which point people reorganize their top players list.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
This was Wade's first and only year being a nominee :shrug:

Yea but hes been an MVP caliber player for years now, and has made several All-NBA teams. Besides thats not really a true statement:

Wade has finished 8, 6th, and 12th over the past few years which is pretty impressive considering how little hes played and how crummy his teams have been.

Melo has never finished higher than 13th despite winning more games.

Young2Kinsler
05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Melo is the most elite player after the treatment he got in game 3.

KeithLBC
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Melo is the most elite player after the treatment he got in game 3.

don't be bitter, you're the same guy who was hoping the Mavs would lose games so they would miss the playoffs and start to rebuild.

Johann
05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
no.. i seriously doubt it. without billups he can't get that far... im gettin this from that he never did make it far without a veteran leader beside him. both james and wade have, not nobody, but less quality players than k-mart, nene, billups.
if denver wins it all :S... hed be rated a bit higher, but not too high. he might be in a class with bosh, but not with wade and james.
until they call the nuggets by carmelo, like the heat by wade's teams, he won't be in the same class..

zambo4president
05-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes it would move him in front of LeBron and right behind Wade, because even if LeBron has the better stats, Carmelo will have the ring. Then when it comes down to Melo and Wade, Wade won first. And is arguably better.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes it would move him in front of LeBron and right behind Wade, because even if LeBron has the better stats, Carmelo will have the ring. Then when it comes down to Melo and Wade, Wade won first. And is arguably better.

Your logic = YUCK

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Carmelo is the best player on this Denver squad. and has been for the last 6 seasons, only difference is, now he has a true leader on his team, a proven winner. He was the missing peice to this puzzle. Respect #15!

Unruly Fan
05-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I like how everyone is saying how "Melo's not the best on the team, Billups is". Fact is... Melo IS the number 1 scoring option on Denver (and always has been since he was drafted). Dont get me wrong Billups contribution is crucial to the teams success but Carmelo is still the teams main piece.

AirJordan23
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL no way Melo isn't even the best player on his team Billups is.

Yes he is. Billups is the leader of the team but Melo is the best player on the team. Put it this way, Melo's the engine of the ship but Billups is the one who directs it. Billups is a brilliant floor general, decision maker and his intangibles are really valuable to the team. I'm not taking anything away from him or his impact on our team. Melo is more talented and skilled than Billups and I just can't see him carrying the team like Melo has done from his rookie year. I think Billups' arrival overshadowed Melo a bit. Don't feel Melo gets the credit he deserves for improving various parts of his game and being more fundamentally sound.

On topic. He'd be in the top 5-10 range depending on how he performs in the finals if we get there.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I like how everyone is saying how "Melo's not the best on the team, Billups is". Fact is... Melo IS the number 1 scoring option on Denver (and always has been since he was drafted). Dont get me wrong Billups contribution is crucial to the teams success but Carmelo is still the teams main piece.

Facts are, being the number 1 scoring option and being your teams best players arent mutually exclusive. Like you said, Melo was #1 option from day 1, but he wasnt his teams best player from day 1. Right now Id say these 2 are about as equal as any other 1and2 stars in the league, and their 3rd guy isnt really far off from them, its what makes the Nuggets so great. They dont win with a mega star like Bron or Wade, they win with a collective effort. Nene has been their MVP in this series and Billups was the MVP last, but throughout it all Melo has been there. So you can make a case for all 3 of them.

Unruly Fan
05-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Facts are, being the number 1 scoring option and being your teams best players arent mutually exclusive. Like you said, Melo was #1 option from day 1, but he wasnt his teams best player from day 1. Right now Id say these 2 are about as equal as any other 1and2 stars in the league, and their 3rd guy isnt really far off from them, its what makes the Nuggets so great. They dont win with a mega star like Bron or Wade, they win with a collective effort. Nene has been their MVP in this series and Billups was the MVP last, but throughout it all Melo has been there. So you can make a case for all 3 of them.
Yeah, both members benefit the team equally. REAL fact is Denver cant possibly be considered a contender without one or the other. I just dont like how people overstep Melo who has been doing night in and night out. Same thing happened to Kobe when they brought Gasol in. But are people calling Gasol the best player on the Lakers?

azkarraga
05-11-2009, 04:53 PM
id say no. the nuggets aint a one man show, like cavs or heat. and that's what i like about denver, by the way

Faneik
05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
If the Nuggets win the Finals this year, does Melo jump back into the class of LBJ and Wade?

Nope. Those guys are the ultimate leaders of their teams.

Melo isn't. Nuggets are Billups' team.

Philly76
05-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Melo has developed in silence this season.. His game seems to be more mature. I think a lot of it comes down to Chauncey's influence and experience to lead Carmelo in right way, so he can express his talents more. Very good job by Nuggets this season.. They are No.1 surprise this season.

op12
05-11-2009, 06:59 PM
you mean exactly how paul pirece did last year while KG lead that team? If the nuggets do win the championship thats probably what will happen.

1st pierce was the leader of the team last year, kg came in a changed their mind set to intensity and D but pierce was and is the leader. billups is the pg leader but melo is still the go 2 guy and leader on the team. billups just came in, like kg, and changed the style of play. if melo is finals mvp and beats kobe and lebron he will move to the status as i think lebron may get the "cant win the big one" label. wade had help on his title team, a lot actually but he lead them, that is what can happen with melo.