PDA

View Full Version : Why don't networks that show NBA games just stream themselves?

DenButsu
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Okay, so it has occurred to me recently as I've been watching some games that I'm seeing a hell of a lot of commercials. And for TV networks, that really is the whole point at the end of the day - to attract the highest bidding advertisers by drawing the biggest audiences with quality programming (or at least popular programming). So all these rogue live game streamers, while going against the will of the TV companies, are in fact doing something that it seems to me the companies themselves should be able to capitalize on, which is extending the market (ie. the audience) to thousands and thousands of viewers outside their regular TV market. So what I'm wondering is, when are the networks going to catch on? They should realize that this streaming stuff is just not going to go away, and that if they just sunk a small chunk of change into putting out some high quality free streams of their NBA broadcasts, that they would be able to attract more advertisers and, presumably, more advertisers that were willing to pay more money because their commercials were reaching more people.

What do you think? Am I on to something here or what?

(I may move this to General Discussion later, but I thought I'd first post it here to see what NBA fans think of this, since we're probably the most active "consumers" of live game streams here at PSD.)

sciferguy
05-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I think you definately are on to something. Makes perfect sense or should i say cents because the Media Markets would make a killing selling the being viewed by the world logic to advertisers. It takes a while for the old timers (media market) to catch on to the current times. Don't be surprised if they try charging first. Then, once they realize that they are getting too many hits it will be free. But like I said, it's going to take a while cuz these guys can be complete idiots. If anything we should propose this and make a killing haha.

jimbobjarree
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
every telecast must be verified with confirmed written consent of the NBA or something liek that. They'll have to ask the NBA first, which what probably lead to league pass

Chronz
05-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Agree 100%, in this day of TiVO and DVR's nobody watches commercials anymore, may as well tap into the onliners